Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:
:siren:Latest episode: 64 - I'm Still in a Dream

I love From Software's Souls series. The Souls games are a series of action RPGs that punish impulsiveness and reward meticulous play and careful observation and it generally feels really good to overcome challenges in these games. Just looking at my Steam library, I've put in almost 200 hours into the PC versions of Dark Souls 1-3 alone, which isn't even getting into the hours I've poured into the PS3 versions. Last year, I did a blind stream-LP of Demon's Souls, which you can find here, and I had a lot of fun with it! As far as the series goes, however, that's basically all I planned to play, since this game is a PS4 exclusive and I had no plans to pick one up. Things changed over the holidays, so I decided to do another blind steam LP!

Generally, these games tend to have a medieval setting, but Bloodborne does something a little different and is set in a slightly more contemporary era, that of Victorian Era London. Gone are the shields and armor of the other Souls games, as this game's arsenal features weapons like guns and canes. The game rewards a very different style of play from the other Souls games - hiding behind a shield is no longer an option, so instead, emphasis is on dodging around attacks and staggering foes by shooting them. It still feels like a Souls game, but trying to play it like one will get you killed. It looks and feels very stylish once it all clicks though!

This is a blind LP of Bloodborne where I'm regularly joined by my friends liquidypoo, his cat, casnorf, Jobbo_Fett, LP Superstar Artix, and occasionally CJacobs. It's also a livestream LP, so I'll make posts here and a few other places, such as my Twitter when we're planning to stream and when we plan to go live. I tend to stream at my beam channel, but that is subject to change. Tentatively, streams will happen on Tuesday nights around 7 PM EST, with updates on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. That is subject to change depending on life.

Those of you who have watched my previous blind Demon's Souls LP may remember that the first couple of sessions had a little gimmick where liquidy would read stories from PYF Food Industry Horror Stories upon my deaths - we ran out of stories partway through the LP, but we've sourced some more now so storytime is back for the forseeable future!

This is a Souls game, and invasions are a major part of the series, though Bloodborne's implementation is... poor, to say the least. I'll keep the OP updated with my current level and I'll mention what my current level is when I stream, but I might not be open to invasions if I haven't rung the Beckoning Bell. I might not always want to do co-op, so I tend to not have the bell rung, which also closes me off from invasions.

Also, let's talk spoiler policy: If we haven't seen it in a video or it hasn't been discussed, don't talk about it! Don't do spoiler bars either. This is a blind LP and I would like for it to remain that way.

Playlist

Session 1: Welcome to Yharnam

Session 2 (Feat. CJacobs): Gascoigne

Session 3: Old Yharnam

Session 4: Bag Town

Session 5: Hemwick Charnel

Session 6: Forbidden Woods, Part 1

Session 7: Forbidden Woods, Part 2

Session 8: So, you like to play Castlevania

Session 9: Byrgenwerth

Alt Audio version

Session 10: Yahar'gul, Unseen Village

Session 11: Altar of Despair

Session 12 (feat. CJacobs): The Old Hunters

Session 13: RC Pinball

Session 14 (feat. CJacobs): The Orphan of Kos

Session 15 (feat. CJacobs): Nightmare of Mensis

Session 16: The First Hunter

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

White Coke posted:

Whose cat was that?

Liquidy's. His cat really wants to be e-famous. :v:

Artix posted:

Also except for fairly late-game mechanic, the only time he's going to ring the bell is when he's summoning help.

I suppose I could also just ring the bell from the word go, but I don't want to open myself up to unwanted co-op, nor do I want to keep pulling out the separation crystal-equivalent. :shrug:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm thinking a Monday and Friday update schedule? Or Monday-Thursday, I'm not sure yet. Tentatively, we're planning for Tuesday nights around 7 EST to be stream times, but that is subject to change. Assuming all goes according to plan, then we'll be live tomorrow night.

Simply Simon posted:

Nice, caught this one as early as possible. And I even played the game because I gave myself an early Christmas gift, too!

How far have you played already? Is it still useful to give basic mechanic tips? For example, I never see people recommend trying the transform and L2 attacks of weapons, as well as the running R2s - all of those exist, and especially for the Saw Cleaver the transform attacks are amazing. I told this to my buddy just starting out and he's totally into it, only now he often dies because he wants to chain L1-attacks and just folds and unfolds his weapon, lol

I'm in the Church Ward area, after going through Old Yharnam. Basic mechanic tips are welcome, though liquidy beat you to the punch for transform attacks. :v: What do you mean by L2 attacks though? Isn't that just the gun?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I think the Rally thing comes up later in the session? I do it if I get the chance in later sessions. Also the saw advice is appreciated, but I should probably mention that for the actual character I'm running for the LP (episode 6 and onwards), I'm using the Threaded Cane instead.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

White Coke posted:

Bert the Cert put in another appearance so this is another great episode.

When you switch characters are you going to start from the beginning, or continue from where you left off?

The second session picks up roughly where the first one left off.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Double post, but we're probably gonna stream in an hour or so!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Incidentally, I'm super excited for the Switch after last night's presentation and seeing FromSoft on the list of developers definitely has my attention.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

There are illusory walls in BB, but only hiding very optional treasure rooms in the game's very optional optional content. I've found exactly one of them so far, reportedly there are...five?...fixed ones.

Yeah, liquidy told me last night about them and I added an annotation in to mention that. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reminder, stream tonight in 2-ish hours! I'll have the bell rung for invasions tonight and I think I'm level 45 or so? I'll post my current level when we start the stream at any rate.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

https://beam.pro/chaosargate

We're starting soon! I'm level 45, if anyone wants to invade.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's the start of a new session, and with that comes a change in both character and weapon. I've switched over to the Threaded Cane because I was told it's lets me be a Belmont and I'm a sucker for Classicvania.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The usual Tuesday night stream's being postponed to Thursday, too many of the usual folks were busy tonight so we're gonna try Thursday night around 8 or so.

Trynant posted:

More on topic, that this can be the first boss in the game for players is truly brutal. Do you think From wanted to make a "trial by fire" type boss as a check of skill, or maybe have the game show how fast and frenetic fights in Bloodborne get? Both?

I think I'd agree that he does both; he's so hyper-aggressive that you really wanna be aggressive in turn and if you can't match that or figure out how to parry him, then you're hosed. He's a really cool fight and I enjoyed it a lot!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

Surprised no one pronounced it Kah-care-ekko.

I pronounce it like that sometimes. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

So it turns out we can stream tonight too, so we're doing a stream! Tomorrow's will probably still happen as well if this comes off as super short notice.

https://beam.pro/chaosargate

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

liquidypoo posted:

Argate doesn't wanna triple post in his own thread, so I'm here to tell you that we'll be streaming in about half an hour!

You can click this really long link to watch when it starts

We're going live in a few, link is in the quote!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I, uh, still don't know what happened in this episode.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reminder, it's Tuesday, so we're most likely going to stream tonight around 7 EST!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We're going live in a few!

We're gonna be here!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Currently getting crazy owned by Chaos Argate in PVP, help

No, currently you're invading the world of Sir Henry Oxford.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's Tuesday, which means it's time for another stream! Join us over at https://beam.pro/chaosargate!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Not on stream, no. I've done one or two off screen and I really was not interested in running through them. Maybe I'll do a bonus video of one of the ones I have access to now, but that's a big maybe.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's stream night, so come join us over at https://beam.pro/chaosargate!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We're gonna move through the backlog a little faster from here on out, since there's so much, so this thread'll update Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I've been sitting on this footage for a few weeks now, so here's a bonus episode. About two weeks ago, I made another character so I could try out a Str/Arc build and also try to catch some stuff I might've missed.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We're streaming tonight! Come join us! https://beam.pro/chaosargate

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Also, we're probably gonna do another stream tomorrow night around 6-7 EST.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehkjpy8j4oY

I decided to advertise this LP to the people who are subscribed to my channel and Chaos Argate gave me the perfect audio clip to use

My only regret is that this audio clip is from an episode like 3 months out from now.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

No stream tonight, most of the usual folks aren't around tonight, so we'll try for tomorrow instead if I have time and enough people are around.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I cringed so hard when I saw you had 4 Vials left, then spent all your Echoes on two levels, leaving you with exactly nothing...I have GLADLY spent an entire boss' worth of Echoes on Vials before, it just saves so much hassle.

The Bagmen thing goes like this: they do show up after BSB and only after BSB. Amelia has nothing to do with it afaik. If you do BSB very late, you even cannot ever go to Hypogean Gaol! (saying why would be spoilers for the thread, dunno how long you have played)

Now, that does mean that getting shot at by Djura at least once is absolutely mandatory, and no, not killing beasts doesn't affect his hostility at all. Then you kill BSB, go to bagtown, kill Paarl, open the back door and talk to Djura like you did; he's all like "whoa didn't see you come in", apparently having forgotten you. You've seen this.

It's even slightly more "obscure" than that: you do not have to kill Paarl for all of this to happen. You can see Paarl, get killed or Mark out, warp to BSB's lantern and walk backwards through Old Yharnam, and Djura will still be non-hostile. Now that doesn't make any sense, but maybe they wanted to make it a little more likely for players to stumble upon the event, as Paarl is a huge fucker if you go there asap.

Speaking of: Paarl is a huge fucker and I consider him the worst boss in Bloodborne. He's a twitchy mess who'd be hard enough to hit if he had regular proportions, but he has gangly-rear end legs that are constantly moving and you cannot lock on to them. It's just frustrating. His difficulty is also really binary: the first time I killed him, he didn't get to do ANYTHING because you can chain-break his legs if you're aggressive enough with charged R2s (I recommend the Hunter's Axe spin move). To elaborate on that: each leg can be broken separately, getting rid of his lightning field. He'll collapse for a bit, allowing you to wail on him; if you wail on his head, you can "break" that, making him open for a visceral.

After he gets back up, he might swing at you lazily a bit, but mostly retreat quickly and put the lightning field up again. This doesn't hurt you. So the best strategy is to break a leg first asap, try hitting his head and/or other legs while he's down, then keep following him closely as he backs off, keep hitting while he charges up and quite possibly break another leg because that's the only time he stays loving still, guaranteed :argh:. Repeat until he's out of hit points and never let him get a moment's rest. If he can jump and dance around, he's even more loving annoying to hit than BSB and it drives me up the loving wall.

I didn't start noticing my blood vial thing until after this session. :negative: I spent like an hour before the Switch presentation the next day just farming blood vials. As for Paarl being a fucker, funny thing, a few weeks back, I ran through the game fairly quickly with another character and called Artix in for help with Paarl again because he still frustrates me. One of the co-op attempts was met with failure as Paarl's lightning explosion took both of us out at the same time. This would've been with Artix around the ~70 mark, too. :negative:

• Locked thread