Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In which case you should know that the whip form is also serrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I'm pretty sure the Church Servants aren't wearing masks, their faces just look like that. Also Iosefka's Clinic is quite a nice place to go before you kill Gascoigne, because you can get a single use blood vial of much greater strength than normal. After you kill Gascoigne Iosefka stops giving you those and instead offers the safety thing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Interestingly Father Gascoigne is suggested to not currently be a part of the Healing Church, and his title is not one recognized by the Healing Church. What actually signifies that his set, or any set for that matter, is Healing Church Garb is the white shawl they all include.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Honestly the thing about the Summons that gets me is that you cannot pick it up early, it's literally not possible. Which suggests to me that it wasn't in the room in the first place, and honestly there's a pretty easy way for it to have gotten to the clinic. Cainhurst is full of actual flying gargoyles after all. There is another, although very unlikely, way the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst might have done it.

There's a few other reasons I don't like the suggestion it came with us when we arrived, firstly we know why the player character was in Yharnam, supposedly, they had an incurable illness and wanted some of the miracle healing blood.

But it's not impossible, and it is an alternate reason for coming to Yharnam in all fairness, it just doesn't explain why we get a blood transfusion upon arriving instead of actually heading towards Cainhurst Castle, which the letter clearly explains the path to.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

White Coke posted:

So is there a lore reason for the werewolves' eyes glowing blue, or is it just to indicate that they're tougher?

As you may recall Darkbeast Paarl is a giant skeleton werewolf made of blue bolts of lightning, and in general the more advanced forms of the beast plague tend to have electricity powers.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I take it as they're in the process of being transformed, but the Healing Church is flat out missing an ingredient to get to the Celestial Emmisary point, all they can produces is failures in this Nightmare.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

double nine posted:

are those whale divers really not parryable? They sure look like they should be?

You can parry them, the timing is straight hosed for most of their animations though so when you can parry is very weird sometimes.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So fun fact about the Wet Nurse, it's probably not a real creature. Neither is the Orphan of Kos for that matter. Both are constructs made by dead infant Great One consciousnesses to protect themselves based on something from near or at the time of their birth.

The Wet Nurse is basically a very confused combination of the things that make up the Shadows of Yharnam, who are based on the archaic meaning of the term and are Queen Yharnam's personal guards, so of course her son is protected by a Nightmarish version of them. Meanwhile the Orphan of Kos is actually a Hunter, because the Sweet Child of Kos watched as Gehrman assaulted the fishing hamlet for Byrgenwerth, and Gehrman was in turn cursed to experience this assault from the other end, hence his connection to the Orphan so that he could experience the Sorrow of the Sweet Child.

All the people in the chairs are the rest of the School of Mensis, they're colleagues of Micolash who didn't get to keep themselves as whole as he did.

Presumably making contact fried everyone but Micolash in the dreamland and everyone including Micolash out of them.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 14, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

White Coke posted:

I think Mergo is female. In fact other than Formless Odeon aren't all the Great Ones female?

Amygdala is at least described as Lord, and the Orphan has Gehrman's voice as they cry with exactly the same sound.

White Coke posted:

This is the part that most confuses me about the timeline, whether the Fishing Village was found before or after the Chalice Dungeons.

This one is pretty easy though, the Chalice Dungeons real world location was found first, then Byrgenwerth was founded to investigate it. Byrgenwerth itself is built over an entrance to the Pthumerian dungeons, which is what is likely beneath that one inaccessible trap door. Gherman works for Byrgenwerth as probably a groundskeeper or something, hence his fairly simple clothes and using a Scythe.

Eventually they hear about the Fishing Hamlet being weird and Byrgenwerth investigates, when the Fishing Hamlet won't tell them what they want they send in Gehrman to help facilitate the scientific process. I personally don't think there were any hunters other than Gehrman because this happens before the founding of the Hunter's Workshop, but there might have been based on some weird timeline stuff.

After the Fishing Hamlet Massacre proves fruitless Laurence decides to found the Healing Church, and Gehrman founds the Hunter's Workshop alongside it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Strayed posted:

And to add on to the bit about Iosefka, the Celestial Emissary ChaosArgate found just standing in the the clinic is what became of the real Iosefka. If you kill her you get another Iosefka Blood Vial. No Earthly idea why you can find one before Mergo's Wet Nurse next to the short cut Argate managed to miss though.

I assumed that it was meant to be a reveal that the real Iosefka was not necessarily completely innocent, and was part of the School of Mensis to mirror the fact that the Imposter was part of the Choir.

• Locked thread