Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was the PSVR a success to Sony? I mean I know it's sold out but do they have any new bundles or anything coming out soon? I see so many online for the new price/higher it makes it seem like the NES Classic where very very very few people actually cared to get one and the rest are just sitting in some re-sellers' basements.

Most people (myself included) think the retail version of Wild Guns Reloaded is a bit too expensive at $29.99 right now but if any fans haven't gotten it yet Amazon is re-stocking it with the keychain included next week and taking orders now. Might actually do it since how often does Wild Guns merchandise ever happen. If anyone's unfamiliar the game is a Cabal style shooter. So basically like the Terminator 2 arcade game or Operation Wolf except your character is on the screen and you have to jump and dodge around. It's difficult but a lot of fun, I was really addicted to it back in the day and it held up great when I got it on the Virtual Console more recently. This PS4 version has two new levels and two more characters so it's not like they just upscaled it, which I do appreciate.

I'm not a big visual novel fan but I tried the demo for Danganronpa 3 and it's awesome? I knew the games were colorful but didn't realize how good the presentation is. Does anyone familiar know if 1 and 2 are as good in this department? I notice the first two are coming out on PS4 in the near future and will be a bit cheaper. The way you get to walk around the school/check out each room gives a huge Persona 1 vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I finally got a PS4 for my birthday! (And also so dad can watch sports with VUE so it's technically his! :v:)

What sort of games should I buy to start off with (considering budget and all)?

For cheap PS4 games absolutely check out Bloodborne and DOOM. Wolfenstein: The New Order also.

Titanfall 2 is more recent but all of them have great really fun single player campaigns.

If you like 2D fighting games you are basically set with the PS4. For recent ones King of FIghters XIV and the recent wave of Guilty Gear games are excellent. If you want the classics check out the PSN for stuff like Samurai Shodown 6/etc.

The PS4 has a bunch of free to play games on it that are of course grindy and you can pay to get stuff faster. I don't really like that type of game much overall but definitely download and give both Warfame and Let It Die a chance. Warframe really grabbed me with its awesome controls, they made a massive improvement update to it a year or two ago. Let It Die is less interesting to play but the setting is goofy and fun.

If you like RPGs in general DEFINITELY look into The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Someone help me secure the rights to NecroTech and Secret Agent Codename Agent NINA Secret Agent so we can make $$$ by selling them for $40 on PS4.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

For fighting games on PS4 there's a really nice selection, but for recent games King of Fighters XIV and Guilty Gear are absolute must buys. After that Dead or Alive 5 is a lot of fun (you can buy the disk for like $20 and get all the characters at once except for the one or two DLC ones instead of buying them individually on the PSN version). If you like classic stuff on the PSN you can get King of Fighters 2000 and Last Blade 2, the former has a nice roster and great presentation for the price and the latter is straight up one of the best fighting games ever made.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I remember people saying months ago that GameStop accepts broken DS4's (knowingly so they can refurb them, I'm not talking about being a dick and tricking them). Is that still happening? Was it ever true?

Basically if you bring in a busted up system or a game that's scratched to hell they can still take it but just give you less for it. They're not supposed do that with accessories like controllers, headsets, etc. but the POS will still allow them to so a lot of times the employee will knowingly do it out of reflex/they don't know not to and I can say from having worked at GameStop for ten years that there's no real penalty to the employees or store for doing so. It only takes off a max of $4 for games and accessories (it will take off less if you're trading in a messed up game that's already only worth like $3) so go for it. The absolute most damage you will cause is that if the store manager cares they'll just tell the employee not to take in broken controllers anymore.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 14, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

If store policy is to not take them, then I won't try to sneak. I just thought that I saw they would knowingly take them and just give you less because they were using various parts to refurbish them.

It costs GameStop $00.50 to refurbish a PS4 controller so I wouldn't worry much about it, like I said many employees will knowingly do it, I'm not saying to try to be sly just bring it in and see if they take it even knowing that it's broken.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

goferchan posted:

They take like $5 off. I think when i did it i got $25 instead of $30. All the used controllers they buy (working ones included) go to a warehouse for parts for refurb from what I understand; they don't get put directly back on shelves

They immediately go up for sale unless they know that they're broken.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Awesome! posted:

do they like, get cleaned or anything?

LOL

Generally if the controller looks good it just gets bagged and put on the shelf or in backstock or whatever. But if it looks super lovely or cheeto encrusted or whatever usually one would just not take it or it would get wiped down or just sit around and never get sold because it looks like rear end.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Nioh clicked with me so much I ended up pre-ordering it. The variety of attacks and moves in it is really impressive to me and, while it's obviously super-inspired by Demon's Souls and such the combat feels a lot more like a mix of that and Ninja Gaiden once you get more moves and items to work with. Especially the way the magic and ninja stuff works. I really like that it rewards efficient combat with your stamina refilling quickly and I feel like it's a lot harder to get out of a bad situation than in the Souls games so I was playuing the alpha and beta much more cautiously. But even at its worst, it's intense to play to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

You know one thing that would have made Nioh actually stand out more is if they ripped off FromSoftware a little more a certain department. The soundtrack to the Otogi games is one of the sickest soundtracks ever made. Despite the dark fantasy setting it has a lot of like industrial percussion tracks and is very modern sounding. I'd love to hear something like that in a fantasy kind of game again.

For some more detail about its background, this was part of a really old thing I wrote about the alpha:

Neo Rasa posted:

Nioh has had a long journey from concept to game. It was actually originally announced in 2004 under the slightly different name Ni-Oh, with plans for it to launch in 2006 on the PlayStation 3. Not only that, Ni-oh was also a tie in to the first non-documentary film directed by Hisao Kurosawa, from a script written by his father, Akira Kurosawa himself! The script is titled Oni, and is a slightly surreal take on William Adam’s journey from wayward navigator to shogun’s confidante. James Clavell’s 1975 novel Shogun is also very loosely based on these historical events. A slightly more accurate (albeit still heavily romanticized) take can be found in the 1868 book Will Adams, The First Englishman in Japan, the entirety of which can be read here.

The film was cancelled, and while the game was said to still be in development by Koei Tecmo (then just KOEI) it stayed so under the radar it may as well have been cancelled too. However, out of nowhere in 2010 Koei Tecmo announced that Team Ninja was still working on the game, but there was still next to no real information on what it would be like beyond it being an action game focused on Japanese mythology.

Despite the film never being made, however, players still assume the role of a stranded mariner named William. This implies that a more character focused narrative will be present in the final game concerning our shipwrecked protagonist, but nothing of the sort surfaces in the demo. William’s design is also inexplicably a dead ringer of everyone’s favorite sardonic supernatural slayer, Geralt of the Witcher series. An odd choice.

Fortunately, despite his unceremonious introduction, our hero is proficient in the arts of combat, magic, and ninjutsu from the outset, with the only limit on his abilities being how one wants to distribute the souls amrita acquired by killing enemies at the game’s bonfires shrines. This may make Team Ninja’s creativity seem lacking, but while the challenge players expect from FromSoftware’s Souls series is in full swing, Nioh is also built on an excellent foundation that helps it stand out. It’s would be unfair to say this game is just a clone of Dark Soul.

On the surface, however, such an assumption is understandable. Team Ninja being inspired by FromSoftware’s games is obvious from the moment one starts Nioh‘s demo and sees the in-game HUD and animations, but which FromSoftware games Team Ninja was inspired by is where is a bit more interesting. The last two times Nioh was announced by Koei Tecmo were in 2004 and 2010. So it seems like no coincidence that it’s a moody game of yōkai horror (Otogi: Myth of Demons, FromSoftware, 2003) with a savagery and speed to its combat in a world beginning to end that much more closely matches Demon‘s Souls (FromSoftware, 2009). None of these concepts are new to video games, but their execution in Nioh shows a clear line of influence from these games right down to Nioh‘s world being broken into discreet missions with a short but bleak world building description of each area – Something used to great effect in the Otogi series and Demon’s Souls.

As much as the game seems awesome though from what little music we get there's no way it's going to have a soundtrack as off the chain as the ones for the Otogi games. I wish FromSoftware would go back to industrial percussion and prog stuff for their fantasy games, even if it's just for certain areas of the game and not general background music. "Fantasy game music" feels pretty limited today.

fadam posted:

Do you guys know if the Nioh Mark of the Conqueror DLC is going to be exclusive to Alpha/Beta players or will it be buyable eventually?

Unlike the alpha and beta ones for Destiny IIRC you had to actually beat a boss in Nioh to get the DLC, so I'm hoping everyone just gets it for beating that boss in the main game. Given the amount of loot in the game all the bosses dropping some special mark/weapon/etc. would be reasonable.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 17, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Have to second this, my wife and I are having a blast playing through the game. If these same people dropped a new interactive slasher movie game every couple of years I'd be down.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Phantom Pain isn't finished properly?

Don't spoil nothing still 3℅ in

It's a great game but about halfway through it you'll start to notice all the gaps where they didn't complete massive chunks of the plot. Sort of like Xenogears, they basically ran out of time/budget and you get a huge amount of padding and the game's story is literally half-baked. Like half the story just straight up isn't there and it's very obvious in what ways when you finish the game. Fortunately it's a blast to play, but with so little going on with the characters compared to previous games you might get bored before finishing it. Either way I don't regret playing it. The PSP games give you a bunch of tapes to listen to because they're portable games meant to be played in quick bursts so you can get the most detailed info about the characters and story at your leisure, but here it's very clearly done because they just straight up didn't manage themselves well enough to implement everything in the game itself.

There's this one plot-dump cutscene towards the end though, AAHAHAHAHA I still can't believe that made it in. I mean I know MGS is all about long winded speeches and that's fine but the circumstances and "direction" of the scene is like unreal in how stupid and bad and excruciatingly long it feels.

I my real complaint with the game though is the level design. There's basically three or four missions that are awesome and the rest of it just like, here's a flat space with some small buildings. But the guard AI is also much much less effective than it was in the demo prequel game Ground Zeroes, so a lot of it ends up being very easy because of that lack of vertical space and complexity in almost every outpost in the game.

Still I don't regret playing it at all because the controls and the engine is just that awesome. But man if any game REALLY needed an upgraded re-release with some extra bits in it it was this one, and yet it's the only MGS game to not receive one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I play the role of Solid Snake. Every morning, right after I wake up and open palm slam a bluray into my PS4. Its Metal Gear Solid V and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside the main character

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DISK INTO THE PS4. ITS METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, BIG "VENOM 'PUNISHED' SNAKE" BOSS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME SKULLS BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY BROKE INTO THE PLANETS MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

haveblue posted:

It's worse than 4 in every mechanical and technical way but you can't deny that UC4 takes a long time to get started and stays so strongly focused on its characters that it could alienate anyone who doesn't know them well already. Playing 4 first is probably a mistake.

The PlayStation 4 Thread: Play the Uncharted Games In Order

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LibbyM posted:

This is a playstation 3 game so maybe not the most on topic but, how was drakengard 3 relative to the other games? Gameplay improvements are nice of course but mainly I'm wondering if the story matches the beautiful insanity of the first drakengard game, or was it kind of bland like the second game?

It's not as bland as the second one but mostly has a lot of harsh language going for it along with a good soundtrack. It feels the most "try hard" of Cavia's games and it's janky as hell on a technical level. It's basically a perfect $20 game which is what it costs on Amazon right now so go for it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Seriously, it must be a rights issue, because no game that good should be that rare.

I think it's more because various Klonoa games were released on a few systems throughout the early 00s and no one bought them. :(

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's especially stupid as hell and regressive for Yakuza 0 though because of the time period like they for real couldn't couldn't come up with a badass female character in a game about beating the poo poo out of people set during peak bosozoku and sukeban time? It's literally historically inaccurate for the sake of not wanting to bother putting effort into any of the female characters' writing I mean those gangs (mostly the male ones but still) were like the gateway step to "the yakuza notices you."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno how far you got but there is a character almost exactly like that in 0. In the end she needs rescuing by Kiryu same as everyone else though.

That's awesome. :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IIRC some folks said the PS4 version of Sleeping Dogs performs worse on PS4 than it does on PS3, is that true? I only played it a bit on PS3 and it's loving awesome but I don't have it anymore and would love to get it on PS4 if the performance isn't awful.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have zero confidence in that team to make a story I care about.

For real Killzone: Shadowfall is kind of cool for the first, like, level and a half. After that you get typical FPS weapons and the entire rest of the game is the dumbest poo poo ever. I love that the only good Killzone game is the Vita one which wasn't even made by Guerilla Games. I couldn't believe how good that game was compared to any other Killzone game.

THAT said, the PSP Killzone is loving awesome, it's an overhead tactical game and not an FPS, well worth checking out.

I was so hype for Horizon because gently caress yes cavepeople and robot dinosaurs poo poo will own but oh my god the entire game being like THIS DINOSAUR ROBOT IS GLOWING BLUE IT IS NEUTRAL THIS DINOSAUR IS GLOWING RED IT WILL HURT YOU are you loving kidding me? It's a huge indicator of "like most games we boast a living breathing world but literally every single thing in it either makes a beeline for you to kill you or just walks around in a circle til you kill it or ride/interact/craft/whatever it to get better gear." I don't know, it just seems really stupid in a bunch of ways. I'm still going to give it a chance but hell I'll probably just borrow the disk from a friend or something next year, I have so many games to catch up on as it is.

Speaking of cave people Far Cry: Primal was a letdown too. It was idiotic to reuse the Far Cry 4 map and rush that game as much as it was, they should have given it a real budget and straight up made it the next Far Cry because like Killzone it feels like an unbalanced broken tech demo for what could be an awesome game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gaming headsets will always be a huge ripoff, unlike games themselves companies make like a 40% - 60% profit margin on them, that should tell you something about how much it costs to make them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm super hype for Nioh also. The only thing I don't like is that there's maybe a little TOO much flashing glowy poo poo everywhere. They got a pretty good atmosphere going so it seems like kind of a waste of that. I agree about the blurriness, it doesn't look bad to me in general but across the aplha, beta, and this demo it is basically impossible for me to tell how deep water is so I know whether or not to walk in it. I thought it was the brightness of the game/my tv's settings but it seems that way no matter what, makes me kind of wish they just let you swim and dive like in the Ninja Gaiden games.

Still I'm loving the game, being able to ambush people with the rifle/bow and arrow is awesome. When I first tried the alpha the controls felt unnecessarily complicated but as soon as you get another weapon/any magic/whatever it's warranted and feels great.

If i had one other nitpick it's just that it'd be sick as hell if a dark fantasy game had an industrial percussion kind of soundtrack again instead of typical "regional" music or epic orchestra stuff. I know the appeal of having the main levels be silent but I kind of wish they ripped THAT off from old FromSoftware games too it's like a perfect complement for fantasy w/horror-ish elements games. :D I'd love to have some music like that for this game where you spend a lot of time stalking/massacring assholes and demons in the dead of night while having to have good rhythm with using the ki pulse thing regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZA89O7uJu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcX2yMRO3ZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUTAZPMJ7pY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EQy9OCQ2fI

Holy poo poo the Otogi games are so good. <3 <3 <3

Samurai Sanders posted:

Pretty inappropriate for a game that is about free movement first and foremost.

My favorite instance of bullshit "this is literally the opposite of the entire point of the character" is Spider-Man/X-Men in Arcade's Revenge, an awful licensed game with a sick Tim Follin soundtrack. You get to play as Spider-Man, Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, and Gambit.

Storm as a character we all know she can fly around summon lightning and affect the weather and is super powerful. So of course her level consists of........slowly swimming through an underwater maze? Wolverine is a specialist at kicking rear end and is the best there is bub and is super tough so his level consists of.......running away from an enemy and having to punch blocks out of the way to keep running away from a fight as fast as possible. Like, what?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Until Dawn is loving awesome. I don't think I've played any other game with a story that makes you really question what's going on with stuff you had taken for certain that happened earlier in the game. Plenty of games have plot twists but he meta way in which you get clues and the game calls out any time you made a choice that effects stuff does a great job of making you question how stuff may have been. It's also very impressive how much reference to and reverence for slasher movies it has without falling into self parody at any point. I hope these people get to make another game like this, not even necessarily an ode to slasher flicks or whatever but just another interactive movie kind of game with this level of complexity to its storytelling. Like someone finally got Heavy Rain right.

Also I'm sure people have said this in this thread but it's a fantastic party/play with your significant other game because everyone is constantly going to have a different idea of what's going on and what choices to make and stuff.

The game also does something a lot of my favorite action and horror movies do in that after its opening very little happens for a long time, and then after a certain point poo poo hits the fan in an extreme way and does not stop until the story is over.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 22, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also I have drowned four times

For real this game is loving awesome but LMAO the number of times you can die because step on the like the one square foot of deep water between two shallow areas because of how vague it is. I feel like it was a lot easier to discern in the alpha because I never drowned there. Wasn't this guys a sailor?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

el oso posted:

Is Thief worth $5?

Nope. It's very boiler plate "this is a big budget game" with a lot of its story/dialogue and feels like kind of a mess honestly, the best part of the game was a single DLC mission because it was based on one from Thief II and really good. The performance is kind of weird on PS4 too. I had a lot of uh, Cavia Syndrome moments where the game runs fluidly during big stuff happening but then stutters a lot while walking down a small hallway with no other enemies around or anything. Sound carries weirdly in it too unintentionally at points like you'll hear the voice of someone in a room talking to someone from like outside and three floors down from the building their in. It's just all around unpolished. I'd just get the first three off Steam/GOG instead which are all real good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's going on hiatus for now. Probably to focus on other things.

Like a much needed Legacy of Kain game.

LMAO SquareEnixEidos actually had an almost complete new Legacy of Kain game but they canned that too, it was one of the casualties of Final Fantasy XIV being released in an awful state and Square blaming their huge loss of money on it on everything BUT it, it's what became the pay to win online game that came out a few years ago.

For real though Human Revolution had so much work put into it and they still didn't give them time to put in stuff like the entire backstory of the bosses but I'm not surprised about the new one not selling well.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 31, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Seriously though how many first party games from Sony have added up to disappointment at this point?

They've got Uncharted 4 as a solid release and what else?

Sony as a publisher has given us Equinox: Solstice II, WarHawk, Jumping Flash!, Alundra, Twisted Metal 2, PaRappa the Rapper, Shadow of the Colossus, Demon's Souls, The Last of Us, and Bloodborne, so I give them a free pass for eternity.

Bombadilillo posted:

It was probably the cinematic nature of the original reveal and hudless running around I saw. When they added markers everywhere it went from something I HAD to experience the awe and wonder of to something I guess I'll checkout if the gameplay is something special.

This is exactly how I have felt about it. I was so hyped when the teaser trailer segued into the ingame graphics with just the world out there and her running out to find adventure. Then with each passing review it got more and more cookie cutter looking. The dumbest thing though is how they made all these cool looking robot dinosaurs and animals and they all glow with this obvious THIS ROBOT IS RED IT WANTS TO HURT YOU/THIS ROBOT IS BLUE YOU CAN DO STUFF WITH IT.

mycot posted:

This whole Deus Ex thing feels extremely similar to how the Tomb Raider reboot was treated a few years ago (being called a financial disappointment to write off their company losses on something). I'm surprised the comparison hasn't been brought up more often.

For real they threw the Eidos part of the company under the bus, singling out Tomb Raider, Human Revolution and even Hitman Absolution as the reason they were failing. But the executive who gave that keynote got promoted/transferred into uselessness and the new guy was immediately talking about how that was a mistak eand they're proud of what Eidos has to offer. Maybe at when you reach executive level at Square you get two letters in your desk one is "praise all the games that just game out," and the second is "dis all the games and leave."

On the upside, if an MCU game comes out of this that's actually good I guess that's cool. I mean if they actually gave them a real budget and time and they just made a Mass Effect clone but about Guardians of the Galaxy that would be legit awesome. Or an M rated game based on the Netflix Marvel stuff, that's something they could even just reuse the structure of Deus Ex for and it would be huge. That's always frustrating because you could make potentially amazing games out of anything and in these cases you already have cool characters and settings ready to go but you know Square will just make them churn out whatever poo poo.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 31, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

You dislike good visual design?

It's lazy as gently caress imo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

haveblue posted:

How would you suggest they do it? From all indications determining a robot dinosaur's attitude towards you is a fairly important part of the gameplay so it can't be something that takes too long or is too ambiguous. We also know that robots can be converted to and from your allegiance so just what kind of robot it is wouldn't be enough to tell you this.

Ideally through animation and sound. In real life an animal can be unpredictable but if an animal is pissed and wants to kill something or is actively hunting after something or is pretty chill in the heat of the moment it's pretty obvious. I'm not asking for motion capture or anything like that just, like, make the animal look and sound pissed at you vs. being chill with you?

It was one of the things that made me uninterested in the game, like you say, knowing where the animals are at regarding what they think of you at a given moment is supposed to be an important part of the game. "The concept explores the contrast between the beauty and danger of the world." was part of the official announcement.

If that's the case, and they put that little work visually into how the animals behave towards you that they need to be glowing blue or red to know if they're good or bad, like, what was even going on for the past six years?

It's just generic to me rather than something potentially unique.

Detective No. 27 posted:

If only some other monster hunting franchise existed for them to steal ideas from...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

haveblue posted:

It sounds good on paper, but they tried this for The Last Guardian and tons of people think the game is obtuse and glitchy even though there's only one animal and they had way longer to polish it.

Fulchrum posted:

So you want the player to have to differentiate the mood of these things in real time while half a dozen are attacking and 3 others are defending. Does the phrase cluster gently caress mean anything to you?

I'm not understanding how this task would be more difficult than most other third person action games where you have to quickly decide what enemies to attack or not at a given time to not get killed by looking at what animations they're doing or what attacks are/aren't happening. Like I said earlier I'm not expecting anything super detailed just, if most of the things you confront in the game are huge robotic animals, and the only "moods" in the game are "complies with the player" or "kills the player" it should be pretty obvious which ones are trying to kill you without having them glow bright red.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 31, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

If I have P.T. on my PS4 and I want to copy all my stuff onto a Pro, will the PSN still recognize that I can play P.T. once I make the Pro my primary system?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lobok posted:

I'm not all that pissed about the Pro but if newer releases do suffer considerably in the next couple years it's a signal that next gen people should hold off on buying until the real version comes out.

Same. I ended up getting a launch PS4 because I was still working at GameStop and Sony just gave one to every manager but I was thinking about it and had that not happened, I probably wouldn't be getting one til about now anyway. I've always held off a few years on getting any system.

Dang. :/

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 5, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

RE1, RE2, and RE4 are three equally incredible games and definitely the three best Resident Evil games. I love Code Veronica personally and RE3 is alright but both of those haven't aged well in their own way.

RE5 had a lot of minor things that added up to me not liking it as much as the past ones, but it was still a pretty good effort. One thing people don't mention often is the noticeably inferior sound effects in RE5 compared to RE4. They use a camera shake to sell what just looked and sounded badass in RE4 like noticing poo poo behind a door and decided at the last second to kick it open, little stuff like that. RE5 coop is a lot of fun though.

RE6......it looks so bad but I do still have to actually play it, I'll pick it up on the PS4 sooner or later. I played a little bit of it when it first came out and it seemed awful but I read they patched a better camera and fixed some other stuff a couple of months after it came out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Revelations is fuckin awesome but I haven't played 2 yet. I have to admit the console ports of Revelations 1 were a let down though. The game has a lot of shortcuts regarding its animations and some other things that were understandable on the 3DS, but really stand out on the PS3 compared to other RE stuff. Not really worth getting just to play on the big screen.

The Outbreak games are so awesome but no one gave them a chance when they were new. In today's world if they made an RE game where four folks gotta team up to solve puzzles in a survival horror game it would be huge, people would eat it up.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 7, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Revelations 1 is good 2 is trash imao.

Might skip 2 then, what's wrong with it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Is there a reason this is in the news everywhere as a "new" GameStop policy? Assuming the person wants used first and then taking the extra step and saying you want used/new isn't here or is worse is like, like literally since 2004 that's been a thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Imagine how much better both would be if it wasn't required that everything be 100% fully voice acted.

FishBulb posted:

Brink had caltrops

Remember Brink?!?

The greatest game industry lmao moment ever is still when the guy who made Medal of Honor/Call of Duty left Activision in a huff and was going to make HIS game HIS way dammit none of this iterative sci-fi FPS bullshit gently caress YOU Activision I'm working with EA again and gonna make a real breakthrough and at the same time the guy who made Halo left Microsoft in a huff and held that press conference in a huff like all no more of this iterative sci-fi FPS bullshit gently caress YOU Microsoft I'm gonna make MY game MY way and it's gonna be real breakthrough I'm working with Activision now.

And so we got Titanfall and Destiny, two lovely sci-fi FPS that are structured like Brink. :laffo:

Fortunately Titanfall 2 is pretty awesome, and I haven't played Destiny in a long time but supposedly if you were to get it now with all its expansions and stuff it's actually good. Also in case anyone forgot now you can't un-see that the Destiny logo is an athletic supporter again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I remember Microsoft almost went out of their way to kill Shadowrun by moving its release date to like three months before Halo 3 came out and then deciding to give them zero budget for any DLC or extra maps or anything to make up for what wasn't completed for the game. The tree of life/resurrection stuff was awesome and I liked gliding around too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Motto posted:

the wiiu has its fair share of bad ubisoft games

[DRACULA]Perhaps the same could be said of all gaming platforms![/DRACULA]

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The bosses in Nioh are absolutely miserable. I enjoy the game a lot and it just comes to a grinding halt when I hit a boss. This bat bitch is the cheapest load of poo poo ever.

Truly a game made by the Ninja Gaiden devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

jeffLebowski posted:

and on a personal level, i have to ask: why did they make an in-depth medieval combat fighting system, then poo poo it up with glowing ui elements and power-ups, along with pretty much every other immersion-breaking visual choice you could imagine. maybe its just me, but participating in a gritty castle siege while neon blue auras pop up and magically heal my fellow dudes just really kills the vibe for me.

I hate this a lot also, it really turned me off from Horizon once we saw more complete footage of it. Even Nioh, which is a fantastic game, sometimes I wish there was a way to make the loot and souls flying into your body glow less or something.

The more recent FromSoftware games don't have this but in Demon's Souls and their earlier games like King's Field/etc. you can turn each individual part of the HUD on and off (Dishonored does this too which is awesome) and can also change if it shows raw numerical values for everything or a gauge. If you don't rely on items a lot in Demon's Souls it's cool to play with everything off.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 15, 2017