Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is it likely Sony will do a PS4 Pro + Horizon Zero Dawn bundle deal when it releases like they did with UC4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It doesn't take that long. Each Act is maybe only 2 hours for a first timer if you're flying through on Hard/Expert and skipping dialogue (you should skip dialogue).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

How did XV end up for someone who unironically believes that FFX-2 was the pinnacle of the series in both storytelling and gameplay?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Inquisition is pretty all right. Not without its flaws, but a solid experience. It's definitely not the kind of game you can just pick up casually while you're doing other stuff, though. Have to block off 3-4 weeks on your gaming calendar to marathon it if you're even just a little bit completionist about things, or you'll never finish.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In case anybody else is geeking out as much about this game as I am, GG released a new story trailer for Horizon Zero Dawn that gives out a few more details about the plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRQDqurZJNk

Here is what I can piece together about the story based on some of my own guesses and what I've seen so far:

-Aloys tribe is probably wiped out by the bad guy tribe. Inciting incident!
-They were probably slaughtered because the head guy wants something that Aloy has and she was conveniently afk at the time.
-The bad guys have the ability to turn the robot dinosaurs hostile. Or more likely, the machines were originally designed for warfare, became docile over time, and they've found a way to turn them back.
-The game will probably be centered around uniting all the other human tribes.
-The awkward af "zero dawn" title probably has to do with the doomsday prophecy that you see in the trailers. But get this, it already happened when humanity wiped itself out with evil robot dinosaurs a thousand years ago, and it's gonna happen again omg!

Looks like pretty standard Video Games plot. If the main character ends up saving humanity via back tattoo like in Waterworld then that'll take the cake. Guerilla Games I've never found Killzone to be that interesting but please don't screw this up, or we'll never get a good IP with robot dinosaurs for another decade!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm probably going to play it no matter what because it has basically everything cool about video games and I love the Nu-Tomb Raiders, which this seems to get a large part of its inspiration from. Maybe it'll surprise us but TLoU narrative it is not, it'll be carried by its setting and gameplay.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The robot designs look awesome and I don't hate Ubisoft open worlds so I'll be fine with that plus monster huntering robodinos with an improvised mix of ancient super technology and primitive stuff.

Me neither but the overworld in HZD more resembles Uncharted/Tomb Raider than Ubisoft games to me which I find much more manageable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I preferred the original reboots since it had a character I actually cared about (Sam) and wasn't intensely boring.

TR2013 had a really breezy story and a fair amount of humor that matched the breakneck pace of all the set pieces. Despite the gritty reboot angle, it really didn't take itself too seriously. Rise has much better gameplay all around, but the story is kind of one-note and a huge downer.

I still loved Rise of the Tomb Raider though and it gives me that same feeling I had looking through previews of Quake 3 Arena in Game Informer in 1999 and thinking "man, graphics will never get any better than this."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is there a comprehensive resource I could look at that basically says "here are the games where having a PS4 Pro actually matters" along with what is improved?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Thanks, that's just what I was looking for.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yikes, I really wanted this game to be good but... yikes. WTF did I just watch. :eyepop:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

it's more like Tommy Wiseau, Bethesda, and Bioware made a game together.

Missing audio: I'm fed up with this world!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy poo poo, is that a joke? Like how did the voice acting and dialogue get worse from a loving Killzone game

I'm hoping it's some kind of goof or something because they brought in the lead writer behind Fallout: NV to do this game, and if that's the best he could come up with then..yeesh.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Guys, it's like you've never heard of a Day 1 patch before. I bet that clip was full of bugs that passed certification because they can be patched out in between when it went gold and when release day is. Not that I think it absolves that mess, but I feel like it's within acceptable levels of jank for a game that hasn't come out yet.

"The Day 1 patch will fix everything" -- a winning affirmation of gamers everywhere.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

I'm not going to let a clip keep me from playing a game I was interested in, but it definitely just went from pre-order to Gamefly. I hope it's good... I want it to be good :smith:.

All the actual gameplay videos look pretty sweet, which is what makes the drop in quality so stark. Also you have Ashly Burch voicing the main character, and she's a really talented VA, so it feels like there's something way off with the direction.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

I've already seen other cut-scenes and it did not look like that.

Does anyone know where that footage came from?

Seemed to be one unaffiliated youtube account who posted it a day ahead of all the gaming site pre-reviews and gone gold announcement.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

KrayG posted:

I am so glad that when i was 14 and thought itd be cool to watch anime and learn japanese and eat using chopsticks that i stopped being mentally ill and focused on having sex with girls instead

If you had just stuck it out for a couple more years you could have transformed into an anime catgirl IRL, such as xineself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's hard to say that any Ubisoft game is outright bad, as they all have really high production values and the gameplay is fine for what it is. But at the same time it's hard to get particularly hyped about anything they do since it is so middle of the road, rather than more niche titles that are obviously more polarizing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Just given the detail of the world, I often found myself imagining what it would be like playing a more interesting
game on the same map.

I felt the same exact way playing the Division. The level of detail was just amazing and really impressive on its own, how much cooler would it have been if you were actually playing a narrative within that world instead of shooting respawning convicts for loot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Blizzard doesn't give a poo poo about what people do on consoles. Exhibit A: Characters with hacked 1bil+ paragon and level bazillion items in Diablo 3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TR2013 would have made a much better movie than the actual Tomb Raider movies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shredder posted:

What are the chances of a Horizon hardware bundle hitting the US? I see Europe has one.

Maybe I'll just wait for the pro benchmarks.

If there is then I haven't seen one stateside at least, although I imagine they'll eventually release something along those lines. I think the game itself is kind of wait and see at the moment, there are a lot of things that look very promising but also some things that don't.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

For those of you who run a PS4 from a computer monitor, do you have any trouble just plugging the PS4 in the HDMI port and keeping your video card in the DVI? Thinking of moving my console from our 720p flatscreen TV to my PC for maximum laziness.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Tomb Raider movies were pretty decent, weren't they?

They're the most early 2000s of movies, and not in a good way. Think Matrix + numetal soundtrack with none of the originality.

I guess they're making a new one now that's going to go with the whole gritty reboot angle of TR2013, so who knows how that's going to turn out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't hate Mortal Kombat. It's not a "good" film by any standard but it manages to be fun and treats its source material with the appropriate amount of schlock. My favorite fact about that movie is that the fight between Johnny Cage and Scorpion wasn't originally in the script at all, but Paul W.S. Anderson felt like putting in another fight scene and had the actors choreograph the entire thing in a day on broken up pieces of other sets. Nowadays a move like that would have to be approved by two committees and bring back all six original screenwriters to come up with some one-liners for the scene.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I know people make a big deal out of Jake Gyllenhall being cast in Prince of Persia, which was dumb, but Persians are ethnically white. Their depiction in 300 is way more offensive if you're going purely from an ethnic-accurate point of view.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Persians are some of the most OG caucasians on the planet if you really think about it. Iran = land of the Aryans, after all. The truly baffling thing is that Hollywood thinks the only difference between a white dude and a middle eastern white dude is a little smoky eyeshadow.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

No Mans Sky down to £14, worth a punt?

Yeah, into a dumpster! (it's a bad game)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Please take this with the big grain of salt that comes from being relatively early in the game but:

Fighting the robot dinosaurs is pretty drat fun. The ones I've faced so far are not too overwhelming but tend to be pretty lethal if you don't either pick them off solo or wear them down with traps and specialized arrows. They can kill your rear end very quickly if you let them and it gives encouragement for using the gimmicks instead of fighting them head on.

Again, that is a giant caveat of "this is with relatively early game equipment, I do not know how this scales to later foes or later weapons."

What difficulty are you playing on? Also, can I gently caress the robots?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's scenes in the game, I think on the beach, where different characters call her Lara and Laura in the space of seconds.

This is an accurate portrayal of most Americans.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Horizon Zero Dawn seems to be reviewing really well, so I'm happy. Giant Bomb gave it a 100. This was the single game of 2017 that I very much wanted to be good and it looks like it will deliver.

ImpAtom posted:

So I'll try to answer any questions people have about Horizon now that things are up. I'm not gonna drop any spoilers about how Aloy is actually three mechanical dinosaurs in a human suit or anything but otherwise lemme know if you've got any questions.

Is there a NG+ and/or hardcore mode?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Will Horizon be the best game of 2017?

That depends, isn't Hatoful Boyfriend 2 supposed to be out later this year?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is the plot kind of standard boilerplate post-apoc setting or did they manage to surprise you in parts? One of the things that made me hopeful for the writing in this game is that they got the lead dude from Fallout:NV to write the story.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VideoGames posted:

She is truly wonderful as Miss Pauling in TF2 so that is to be expected!

Life is Strange is probably like Top 3 video games for me all time and her voiceover work was a huge part of that. Really weird going from that to hearing her as Cassie Cage in Mortal Kombat X though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I'm curious how well Horizon will do, since it came out in the midst of what feels like market saturation. But I really want to play it when my backlog isn't so crazy!

Well I think goon perspectives on video games are a bit skewed. Horizon is about as mainstream as you can get and it will probably sell a million bazillion copies, way more than Nier and Nioh at least.

For me personally I've been looking forward to this game the most in 2017, and I've already written off Andromeda so I'm glad things are at least looking good for Horizon!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sunning posted:

EA said that the want a shorter promotion cycle for their games. They found out that their games tend to generate a lot of buzz at the release of the first teaser and then the weeks leading up to release. It's difficult to for them to gain traction when the release is years off and the footage shown is work in progress. Battlefield 1 was announced in May. Titanfall 2 was announced in June.

If the announcement was very early, then I suppose in practice it looks like a lack of confidence in the game.

Andromeda has been in development for almost 5 years with a bunch of delays and they've released their first actual (short) gameplay preview last week, less than two months from release. Several high profile leads left the project last year and they had to assemble half the team from Inquisition and the dude who wrote the ending to ME3 to help land the plane. At last year's E3 the preview for Andromeda was wedged in between announcements for EA's new indie dev toolkit and Origin netcode improvements. There should be a whole lot of red flags to any Mass Effect fan at this point (but there aren't because Bioware has spent all their advertising time discussing which aliens you can gently caress).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Which Star Ocean was the one where I felt like I was being put on a government watchlist just by clicking on a youtube clip of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Waiting for Horizon to come out linguistically made me realize that I never got around to playing Until Dawn yet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm ambivalent about horror but what I do love are narrative choice-based games where you get cleverly screwed no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Haha, I can't believe I missed out on Until Dawn to now. I'm about 4 hours in and I'm loving every schlocky teen slasher minute of it.