Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yakuza 0 is goddamn fantastic with the caveat that you need a high tolerance for goofy-rear end humor and the ability to accept the game's incredibly blunt and up-forward argument that the cabaret clubs are squeak-clean places where everyone is there 100% willingly and nobody is being exploited or taken advantage of in any way, shape or form. (The latter mostly because you better prepared for a lot of cabaret club if you want to max out your moneys and if you get weirded out by it that might be a knock against it.)

But seriously Y0 = very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UC4 was fun but it wouldn't even be in my top 5 PS4 exclusives. It's not a bad game by any means but it isn't the must-have game for the PS4 to me.

Edit: That said, my top 5 PS4 exclusives in no specific order would be:

Yakuza 0
Until Dawn
Rachet & Clank
The Last Guardian
Bloodborne

so it isn't like a terrible list to not be on.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 18, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

Do you work at naughty dog?

I find the recomandations to play uncharted 1 first weird. "You want to play this good game huh? Actually, I highly recommend you go play something worse."

Anyway, figured id give this yakuza series a go. Whens the new one coming out?

Next week

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

What would Gex 2017 even be about? A Gecko that really likes Youtube videos?

He would become the hero the Alt-Right need.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yes, I am certain that Gravity Rush 2 will be on PS+ within a year. I mean just think of all those other PS4 games that have ended up on the PSN+ within a year like Injustice and... uh... Injustice?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

acksplode posted:

Reflecting a bit on KrayG's critique, and yeah, the out-of-nowhere J-pop performance at the end of TLG where the boy leads all the Tricos in a synchronized dance routine was a bit much.

You just don't understand how ti ties into the themes of the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Look, there's tons of mature and adult games on the PS4.

Like Batman. Who is more mature and adult than Batman? Nobody, that's who.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

well you can understand that it's a vicious cycle, right? after you turn on the anime and your door gets locked for ten hours, you eventually get bored so you turn on another anime, and then you're trapped forever.

unfortunately these sexless idiots had to wait half a year to see the Deadpool movie, which is a privilege that we Going Outsiders frequently take for granted

The dark secret is that Deadpool is actually anime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

You guys seriously don't play video games in your diapers?

You're not supposed to post here anymore, Shmorky.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nomadic Scholar posted:

What are some good picks for the us flash sale on ps4 and ps3?

Tomb Raider, Saint's Row, Sleeping Dogs, Dark Cloud 2, Journey, the DMC Collection, Shadow of the Colossus... honestly it's got a ton of good stuff, you'll find something you want out of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

revolther posted:

It's gonna be like Clan of the Cave Bear, except the Cave Bear has a glowing red Terminator eye and a warp nacelle for a cock.

... go on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Minidust posted:

Does Bloodborne have any "point of no return" that I should be aware of? I think I'm close to the end. Just want to make sure that when I die on the last boss I'll still respawn at a lantern and be able to travel elsewhere if I want.

Nope. You can backtrack any time you want regardless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Why does the DS4 have such a lovely battery? It's kind of strange how bad it is in comparison to the other ones out there.

This may sound odd but have you tried turning the light down to dim and maybe disabling the speaker?

I've had my DS since launch and I've literally never had it run out of batteries unless I forget to unplug it, even during long-rear end sessions, but I did both those things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

You can lower the light on it? I'll do that. I've never run out of batteries, but I definitely notice the difference between it and my bone. I'd say I get 5 or 6 hours from the DS4 and over 30 from the bone.

Yeah, it's in the controller menu on the system itself. You can set the light to dim

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Could you explain how the boss fights are different between BB and the rest of the souls games?

I will preface this with saying that I don't agree that BB isn't a Souls game. It totally is:

Bloodborne's fights are, like the trash mobs, designed with way more aggression in mind. DS usually has slower and more methodical boss fights and the fast-paced ones are designed with more tanking and blocking options in play. A good Bloodborne fight is basically constant nonstop attacking and dodging in a way DS rarely is.(Though DS3 is closer at times for obvious reasons.) They really do feel a lot different, at least to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Yossarian posted:

Is this the thread where I post about how good dark souls games are?

No, that's literally every other thread on the internet including ones not about Dark Souls in any way. This is where you talk about Knack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I've never played a Yakuza game.

Or Bloodborne.

Or Knack.

Why even bother living?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Ubisoft flooded youtube with enough decent looking Ghost Recon (i.e. the real "GR") footage that I decided to make a thread. Please help it not go into the archives before the game comes out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807469

The real GR is the one that isn't going to suck, so Gravity Rush wins.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

We'll be looking back on 2016/2017 as another golden age for gaming in time to come..

Well, yeah, it'll be the last years before global economic collapse and nuclear war, kinda hard for gaming to get good during that time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Me playing Yakuza 0

Sounds like you're playing a good game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On the plus side it isn't like we don't know where Deus Ex ends up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

i am like 99% positive the game directs you to a save point within five minutes of starting chapter 1

It does. Every save point is also marked with an obvious S mark.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

acksplode posted:

Seconding all the positive opinions on RE7, I'm having a great time with it. Finally having both a good survival horror game and a real AAA PSVR release has been a treat.

I think I'm going to have to give up on Yakuza 0 though. I was excited enough to preorder but when I finally sat down to play it for the first time, I sat on my own balls. Outtie five thousand

I think you were playing the new Conan game by mistake. Easy error to make.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Linnaeus posted:

How does One Piece 3 compare to Hyrule Warriors and Dragon Quest Heroes? It's $15 right now, which seems like a good price

I'd say it's a little behind Hyrule Warriors and a bit ahead of DQH. It's absolutely the most solid of their anime licensed titles in terms of gameplay and content.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

89 posted:

Why is a PS3 re-release, Yakuza 0 full price at $59.99?

Because, among other things, it needed a full translation and localization and was never released on the PS3 in English. (It isn't even a re-release, it was a cross-gen game.)

Are you going to ask why Persona 5 is $60 when it comes out?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 31, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Speaking of, was Xenoverse 2 a decent upgrade over 1? The store has 1 for $10 and Bestbuy has 2 for $30.

yes and no.

Mechanically it has some improvements (including way toning back super armor which makes a lot of end-game quests fun to play) but in terms of new content it barely has anything. It has like a handful of movie villains and then the DLC from Xenoverse 1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Whoa that "Customer is King" scene at the start of chapter 3 in Yakuza 0 is amazing. Whoever writes these games is top notch.

That scene is basically one of the best scenes in the entire franchise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

So why did Cerny spend so much time talking about how games would need to be patched to use the Pro anyway? Just to hear himself talk?

Because they wanted to pre-establish an excuse in case they couldn't make it work so they didn't have people complaining they were tricked into buying a system that couldn't do what they claimed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nioh isn't entirely Souls-ish. It has a similar legacy but a different feel. A major element is that it does seem to expect death more than Souls does but in turn it makes sure that anything you do in the game is building towards increased character power. Even if you die you've probably advanced towards more title experience, increased your familiarity with your weapon, earned a skill point and unlocked a shortcut. If you're lucky you found a better weapon or just some good loot to sell for more souls-likes. It'll probably be considered 'easier' once people get a feel for how it plays but that isn't a bad thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, you only earn skill points when you level.

This is 100% untrue in the full version of the game. I pretty regularly got samurai points just by using my sword a bunch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh huh, where else then? Do you mean the samurai hair or something else?

No, just like, if you use your sword a bunch it'll tell you that you've become more proficient in samurai skills and toss a skill point at you, that sort of thing.

There are also Titles you unlock which are like Cheevos which unlock Reputation Points you can spend on permanent boosts and since they're stuff like "Kill 100 humans with a sword" you'll grind towards them even if you die.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, even the weapon familiarity system plays into that, since the more you use a weapon the better it gets. (It's kinda funny how much they clearly just reversed Durability from a negative to a plus though. You still find whetstones which 'restore familiarity by 150!" That said I think that's way better than durability as a system so...)

I donno. I loved Nioh but I can see people who loved Dark Souls disliking it. It's pretty different. Less tightly designed levels, more heavily emphasis on fast-paced action combat compared to even Bloodborne. I don't think it's a bad thing though. It's just different and way better than Lords of the Fallen's Budget Souls Gameplay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah. RE introduced Survival Horror. Regardless most horror games end up with a pretty heavy arsenal by the end. Horror doesn't mean being entirely defenseless and in some cases being armed can improve the horror as it becomes clear how futile your weapons are against the real threat. (i.e: any zombie film.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Nah I meant like are they good or a fart

Largely meeeeh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Apparently the new ME is aping Fallout 4's dialogue system?

Mass Effect already used that system though?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I mean like GTA/Ubi open world, which Zelda looks like.

Ubisoft Open World Games are literally one of the third parties Nintendo had actuall support from?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Truly this is the conversation for the PlayStation 4 thread, increasingly angry posts about a completely unrelated console.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For Honor's combat system felt way too artificial to me. I don't think it was bad but I didn't enjoy it at all. I get what it was going for but it felt unnatural without that unnatural element feeling more fun to me. It just made me want to play different games instead. I'm glad people enjoy it but I can't imagine playing it if it was F2P, let alone $60.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

The best game movies (and movie games) get around that by throwing out the story entirely and doing something new with the same tone and general setting. The RE movies are trash but they're the fun kind of trash, not the kind that makes you want your two hours back like most other video game movies.

Mortal Kombat was somehow both accurate to the movie and 'good' in the right way for a Mortal Kombat film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ramagamma posted:

I finally started Arkham Knight and maybe its just because I haven't played an Arkham game since Asylum was released but its rad as hell. Can see the batmobile getting tiresome though.

Arkham Knight isn't that bad really, it's just disappointing + the disaster of a PC release.