Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps easily (thanks, Platinum) but I'm fine with either so long as it's steady. Hitches are the pit...ches.

Still not entirely sure what "frame pacing" is and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Frame pacing issues occur when the game takes too long to render one image and then clips the next one in the sequence, resulting in a choppy picture. If I'm running the 400m against Usain Bolt, I may take the same exact number of steps he does to cross the finish line, but I'm going to look like a limping uneven animal compared to Bolt's smooth consistent stride.

This is a strict hypothetical because everyone knows you have bulletproof calves.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My TV developed a dead pixel last week as if it knew about the current launch lineup and wanted to spoil my day in advance.

Well joke's on you, television set, I'm not going to go through the hassle of replacing you just because it looks like there's a gnat stuck on my screen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
With the glut of new releases coming out it's a relief to not have given a drat about Bioware since ME3. That ending cut them from my heart.

I mean I did play through the first Dragon Age afterward and it was decent but not enough to get me interested in the sequels.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Don't goons claim that P4 isn't anime?

No. You stupid, stupid bastard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pierson posted:

Edit: HAhahaha okay no, there's no such thing as a budget 4K TV yet.

Yeah, right now the cheapest set with decent quality is around $1300 on a good day.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I got Inside at this week's sale and enjoyed it the whole way through. But like Limbo it feels kind of distant and unemotional, even though the overall atmosphere is pretty great. I enjoy team Ico's similar efforts more since I feel more emotionally connected to what is happening. The last few chapters feature some awesome animation, but the ending itself was (intentionally) underwhelming. I would have preferred if it ended in total carnage. I wanted some release dammit!

Tldr; Inside is pretty enjoyable but way overrated and barely worth the discounted price, considering how short it is, and its non-existant replayability.

To those who have seen it, is the secret ending worth unlocking or should I just YouTube it?

Youtube it. The requirements are crazy complex.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Horizon's writing is an embarrassing clusterfuck of cliches, but I haven't seen the touted backstory files yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I have to wonder sometimes how people like Utnayan function in normal society. You can only keep a lid on so much casual crazy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda has boldly decided to copy Life Is Strange by having all the main characters be snarky teenagers written by 40-year old people in suits who don't know how teenagers talk

https://twitter.com/_get2sammyb/status/843608109297913857

Salarian saved it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

I've been wondering if I'm getting old man eyes, or has there been some difference in visual design that you really need a bigass TV or to sit close to make poo poo out now? I'm on the same not-so-great 40" TV that seemed pretty big when I got it during the 360/PS3 generation, but now I'm no joke putting down some games till a planned summer nice TV purchase cause sitting ~7-8 ft. away from this one I just can't make poo poo out. E.g. Caladrius Blaze, Overcooked (mostly), old Lego Harry Potter games are fine, but new Lego games and kind of in Bloodborne things on the screen can be too small or cluttered to clearly make out.

Text on Xenoblade Chronicles X was borderline unreadable on a sub-40" TV, but it was a badly made game on a console that could barely output 720p.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think Mark Meer gradually improved as the series went on but Hale was always really good, mostly because she already had a ton of professional experience before Mass Effect. I think Meer was mostly known as a stand-up comedian before being cast as Shepard, which explains how he tends to land comedic responses better than dramatic ones. I think what made Hale great is that she was always able to differentiate both Paragon and Renegade responses while also not coming off like a total lunatic, which was a difficult task to accomplish when you consider how totally bipolar some of the dialogue options were.

All of Hale's line readings sounded faintly irritated, which matched her role as an RPG protagonist perfectly.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Andrast posted:

That's kind of the point. Lack of launch games doesn't necessarily matter to a console's success.

Sure, the switch doesn't really have anything besides Zelda with a Mario Kart port and Splatoon 2 coming soon but it might not matter.

Nintendo's consoles have had a bad history with third-party titles and robust libraries since the Gamecube era, so that might contribute to people being a bit leery of the Switch.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

What do you need 32gb of ram for?

This is the guy who kept showing off the picture quality on his 4k TV by taking low-res cellphone snapshots, I think he has more money than sense.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nah it's him, it's a consistent thing. I'm pretty sure it was due to anti-anime comments from many months ago. And yeah I said in the same post how dumb it was to try to show how nice it looks, was just excited. I forget that some people get angry at that sort of thing.

I've posted about your dumb rich rear end exactly once before, guy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wendell posted:

But what's your stance on anime?! Hurry!!!

It's blood.

But blood is good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
DS3 also had the problem of its similarities and rehashed nature being a deliberate nature of the plot and setting. The game has you encountering tweaked versions of NPC's from the first game and the whole world is exhausted and waiting to end for good. Which is a bold choice, but it does run the risk of making the player just as fatigued. I beat it once and never touched it again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Send fairly reasonable to me :shrug:

7/7 as in the in-game date 7/7. The ban is continuing indefinitely.

It'd be like if SE issued a permanent moratorium against streaming Nier Automata past Ending B.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Who thought the mining stuff in Gravity Rush 2 would be a good idea? Who said "Let's make collecting orbs three times as slow as in the original. Oh, and make the collection the focus of story missions as well as sidequests." Who

It's all completely optional and unnecessary which only makes its presence even stranger.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You can beat me all you want, random white guy, but I signed my confession as "Notmy Realname". Who's laughing now jackass? :c00lbutt:

Also, should I just go the "....." route when given the option in dialogue? I seem to recall the main protagonists of Persona to be silent.

P5's protag doesn't care about your rules, man.

You are right, though. Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment even had this weird thing where the protagonist was silent in one game but then becomes voiced in the other one where they're not the head of the party.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I just bought a 4K TV (hdr capable).

I only have a regular PS4 though. What benefits will I see? I still will get HDR in games, right?

You will not. Only the Pro is HDR compatible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Guess I misunderstood, then. Good to know.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Oh poo poo a new rocket league!

Furi was solid as well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
People tend to roll their eyes at anyone who negatively describes a thing as "anime" because these days such a statement is shorthand for "I am trying very hard to show everyone that I am a mature grownup, on this, the videogame subforum of a defunct comedy website."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

If that's true it's actually worse than I thought. Like, the hypocrisy level would be off the charts.

It's not. More than that, the teacher "romance" has her break it off exactly because she doesn't want a repeat of the sexual harassment of the last guy and tells you to get back in touch when you graduate, if at all.

e: spoilers

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 18, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
As much as I liked UC4, it was an absolute riot when the game's last act is kicked off by Drake holding Nadine at gunpoint and Rafe going "ha ha you don't have what it takes." In a scene where it is explicitly acknowledged that Drake mowed down dozens of guys that morning alone. They don't even have the cutscene/gameplay divide as an excuse anymore!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Scorps posted:

Does Nier: A have a super similar color scheme or a haze effect or something to it, for some reason the last 2 times I've played it my eyes just feel like they are bugging out and don't want to focus correctly on the screen like it doesn't have enough depth or something? I'm having trouble identifying what my issue is with it not sure if maybe I was just really tired and my eyes were screwy or if other people experienced similar things. Feels like everything is like too light and not enough contrast almost? Something about the viewport just seems super cramped and I can't really put my finger on it.

There's a bizarre lighting effect where the corners of the screen are shaded much darker, giving the screen a ellipsoid "eyeball" appearance. It drives me batty in the desert area especially.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

What should I play next?

Last 3 games I played through were Nioh, Titanfall 2 & Horizon: Zero Dawn. I really, really dug Nioh, and HZD was a bit overwhelming with all the side poo poo you could do, so I just focused on the main story, and liked it when I finished it. TF2 was a great SP experience, lackluster MP, and absolutely gorgeous.

I'm thinking Nier: Automata, but I don't like animes.

Suggestions?

My man, you just played and enjoyed a game in which a man is guided by a playful eyepatch-wearing catghost and a snarky lady ninja through a summarized version of the Sekigahara campaign. You like anime. You are the anime-liker. Try Automata.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Liver Disaster posted:

How many posts does it take to stop dragging someone kicking and screaming through a game they don't like?

As many as it takes for other people to stop giving them attention.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Uncle w Benefits posted:

It's actually correct and accurate.

It's not.

The events of the game are caused by a mycelium-based viral weapon originally intended for asymmetric warfare.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

So after reading a few recent pages of this thread I need to clarify something:

Nier Automata, a game from the creator of Drakengard, has a good plot? And not just a laughably insane dumb mess that ends with space babies and F-15s?

And the combat is good?

And it's not a nightmarish 'get upgrade fifty different weapons to get the real ending' grind?

Is this all accurate or is this like the time Bioshock Infinite was getting inexplicably praised for its ending?

You're a little behind the times. None of Yoko Taro's work has been remotely as stilted or trollish as the first Drakengard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Eurogamer liked it and I like walking sims so gently caress it, full speed ahead

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

Yeah well its true, if it was the gaming masterpiece everyone keeps implying folk would be glued to their screens playing it rather than whining on a forum about spoilers.

Its why people who get triggered from spoilers annoy me so much. Go play the loving game if you are so invested!

The game's 80-100 hours long. Most of us have jobs. Bingeing something of that length is inadvisable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

So it's more like an easter egg?

More like a consequence in enemy form. Think the Ghost in Spelunky or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Lol of course criticizing aspects of the narrative structure of some tits and rear end cartoons is the same as hardcore racism here in weaboo lodge.

Step away from the keyboard until you've sobered up a little, buddy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Gitaroo Man is so much harder than Youtube videos make it look, and they don't make it look easy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
What Remains of Edith Finch is very short and also very good.

Though when I was poking around the house my main thought was "mother of gently caress these people own a lot of books."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I died 958 times in Nioh. 136 of those deaths were on one fight

Which one?

I hope it wasn't Orochi because having to redo that boss more than four or five times would put the average person in a lunatic asylum.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

I got to Lewis's story in Edith Finch and when I enter the palace suddenly Lewis stops walking, his head disappears, and when I push the analog stick the camera pulls out through a locker room, onto a factory floor, through the scenery, out the back of the world and falls out of the map. The screen turns completely white but I'm still playing the fish chopping minigame through sound and controller vibrations. Was any of that supposed to happen? It seemed like a glitch but with a game like this I really can't tell.

Glitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Dark Souls is not a good introduction to AAA PC gaming, it's true.

I've had very few problems since building my own rig but a lot of that was lucky misses. I played DS3 on release and that thing had maybe a 50% cataclysmic failure rate on PC.