Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Decided to take a break but before that I said F it let's save scum the endings. Got the first two and decided I was good. The Gehrman fight is pretty nasty. I had to put my TV back into Game mode to get through it. I was always just a split second too late in his final phase.

I actually like the submit ending more than the other one.

I'm really just burned out on the game. The boss fights are fine but the rest is just yuck. If I had to use one word to describe BB it is discomfiting. For me it is just an unfun experience 90% of the time. There isn't any emotional narrative that drives the game. It's just gross and weird and yucky all day all night. So I need to go do something more chill before I tackle the DLC.

At this point I'm basically satisfied. I've beaten the game. Seen the credits. And I doubt my opinion will change after 6 more bosses. Really, I just want to do Orphan of Kos because that is the big hard fight I always hear about.

It's my least favorite from game and it's not even close. The game has a ton of issues beyond it just being distasteful to me. I think the From game it most closely compares to is Sekiro. One game is gorgeous and fun to explore. One game has a coherent plot and an emotional narrative that drives the player to see what happens next. But they both have relatively fluid movement and fast combat.

There are definitely challenges as the game goes on, but I'd have to say the first hour is the hardest and that is a major problem with a game with no real plot. That first hour might become easy once you know what you are doing but the game doesn't give poo poo for instruction. If someone had never played a from game and had no guidance at all the game is basically inscrutable.

I did like the castle. I think it's because it was one of the few places in the game that didn't feel like bloodborne.

I'm still not really sure what the hell happened. The nobility and the church fought over blood due to old gods and poo poo and aliens, too. And I was there because I had a bad dream and signed a contract in the dream to hunt everything that moved because Gehrman and the moon or something.

I wouldn't say I hate the game but I would never recommend it to someone unless I wanted to troll them.

God of War and Sushi Ghost are #1 and #2 PS4 games. BB isn't even in the running.

I do think BB would be a lot better without the insight mechanic unlocking the ability to level up. A LOT better. And maybe add a plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m so sorry for how you are Waltzing :(

Ironic, because I'm sorry for all the people who like wandering around a world of blood and death and grossness. I mean, what makes someone enjoy that? It's really strange. Not an insult, but if you take a step back from your love of BB and actually look at the thing you love so much you might see my point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

motherfuckers have you seen the world outside? bloodborne and dark souls 3 are loving documentaries. i'm just being a responsible researcher by playing them

I live in California so it's pretty much Yarnham without Cthulu.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Fun fact: I only played BB because I wanted to plays DS2 but didn't want to deal with disk swapping.

I played DS1 while playing ME2 and got annoyed at having to go back and forth with the disks. Normally once a disk is in the drive I play it till I'm done. But ME2 was boring me. Then I got to ME3 and started snoring and wanted DS2 but didn't want to do the same thing again so I went back to BB. It was definitely easier now that I'd done DS1 and understood the basic gameplay mechanics.

In general, my #1 driver in a game is the story. After that is whether I find the gameplay loop fun and satisfying. Graphics aren't super important as long as they aren't displeasing.

So lack of story, a gameplay loop that was often frustrating that when something went wrong led to having to re-experience something I already disliked and graphics that are probably my least favorite in any game ever? No wonder I didn't like it.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 14, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

enojy posted:

I received an email invite to buy a PS5 tomorrow. I figure I will own one eventually, but I'm waffling over the decision, as there are zero "gotta play it" games out at the moment. I can currently trade in my PS4 Pro to Best Buy for $200, which I may not be able to do in the future. Are there any pressing reasons not to buy in on this first hardware version?

You could get more for the PS4 Pro on CL or Ebay or SA Mart. It sells for approx $300, possibly more.

And Ratchet & Clank and Demon's Souls are probably worth your time. Along with the upgrade to a better system. Astro's Playroom is a fun exclusive and with the PS5 I'm pretty sure Sony is still giving you access to 20 other titles like God of War, BloodBorne, Uncharted and a lot more.

In other words, go for it. And if you really don't like it, you can easily resell it and get your $$ back and probably more.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Free PS4 games:

Batman: Arkham Knight
Battlefield 1
Bloodborne
Call of Duty Black Ops III Zombies Chronicles
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Days Gone
Detroit: Become Human
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV
God of War
inFAMOUS: Second Son
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us Remastered
Monster Hunter: World
Mortal Kombat X
Persona 5
Ratchet & Clank
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Until Dawn

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After taking some time off I went back and did the 3rd ending. Didn't like that at all. Your special reward for jumping through hoops and fighting the extra secret boss? You become a slug. Cool. And then I decided to do the old hunters dlc.

Oddly, I quite enjoyed it. It was nite and day from the rest of the game for me. I liked the familiarity of the first zone paired with it being well lit. I could actually see what was going on. I didn't like the blood river, that was gross. And respawning hunters were annoying. But all in all, I liked the challenge and light. Horse man was a fun boss. I couldn't take it seriously at all. He seemed just silly and the rest of the game became funny from then on.

The lecture hall was a repeat of seeths library from DS1. And the brain head people screaming when they died sounded like something out of an 80s B horror film. And I could see pretty much the entire time. After hitting the switch at the top and wandering back down I opened a door and was surprised by the Huge sunflower and the failures boss. That wasn't hard. Might as well open this door.

Oh, another boss. That caught me off guard and I got incredibly lucky with parries and beat her on the first try. I sucked at parrys the whole game and for some reason on her I got 6 or 7. It was strange. I don't think she was supposed to be a one and done, but whatever.

And then I got to kill a ton of murlocs. I hate murlocs. And the bubbly sound they made when they died was very satisfying. I didn't like the big guys that reminded me of land sharks. I think that was the name of the cartoon sharks. They sucked. I mean they suuuuuuuuucked. They were harder than most bosses. And fighting two at once was mean. Mean mean mean.

Orphan of Kos was definitely as hard as advertised. Mainly, I think, because most other bosses will give you enough time to heal. He is just relentless. But I finally got him. Went back to the workshop and logged out.

I looked at the trophy list and saw I was just 2 from a plat. And after looking online I don't think I really want to do chalice dungeons. I saw something about special codes to shorten them so I might do that.

But I'm satisfied. I killed every boss, other than the trophy/chalice end boss.

Didn't like the main game. The DLC was really fun. It seemed they didn't put as much effort into making it yucky as they did the main game. It came off campy and silly which is all right with me.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Escobarbarian posted:

You’re not a slug you’re a baby god who will possibly turn out to be better than the previous ones due to being raised by the doll!!!!

I am glad you liked the DLC :) Lady Maria is such a fantastic boss, I did her first time too (or maybe second) but it was still an incredible fight. Ludwig and OoK are phenomenal too. And yes the two-shark hole is an absolute nightmare, legit the hardest thing in the whole game for me lol.

Sounds like you still have one more DLC boss to do though ;D it’s not as good as the three I mentioned before so not essential I am just goading you like the bugger I am

I did Laurence. I didn't think there was anything to say. I did like him crawling around dripping lava. I found that kinda satisfying.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ok...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4tFpwYK0s

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Escobarbarian posted:

What’s an IK?

An idiot. A king of idiots. An idiot king.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I played 5 hours of DS2 and bounced off. I'll try it again in the future but right now the constant ambushes or large group stagger-fests is just not what I am looking for in a game.

I think I will try to get through Yak0 again. Or 13 Sents.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Quantum of Phallus posted:

e: i can't read!

It's okay. Now that you've admitted it, you can get help. Do you know the alphabet, at least?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
AMA: I finished Sushi Ghost Icky Island.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The reason Sekiro is the best fromsoft game is because of stealth.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Oscar Wild posted:

I just bought Ghost of Tsushima, what difficulty should I play if I've played and beaten Sekiro? Also English or Japanese language?

Play it on Easy. The most interesting combats the difficulty doesn't really matter, but timing does. The main selling point of the game is the exploration.

What I mean about timing is you have a bunch of one on one duels and fights that start with a quicktime event. I don't think the difficulty effects these.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I finished HZD. Gonna start the DLC next, I guess. Man, that story was grim.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm still very confused about two things.

1 - the ted faro thing with apollo. It just seems like, even though he was funding things, he had an awful lot of power and access with no oversight. That doesn't relly jive with the project, but whatever.

2 - the big one is the whole post credits scene w/ Sylens. That seems like something that was thrown on as a sequel hook without thinking about how it made no sense with the rest of the game. I suspect this annoyed the hell out of a lot of people when the game came out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm finding Frozen Wilds really boring. Is there any story stuff that matters or is it totally disposable?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bust Rodd posted:

I always find this stuff fascinating, a woman fed thousands of Sekiro screenshots into an AI and asked it to paint a picture of Sekiro for her

AI says "Sekiro was good, but Sushi Ghost is better."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wonder if the AI would make a pic that looked like Sekiro if she fed it 1000s of Sushi Ghost images...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I may have given TLOU2 a try if I didn't have TLOU so much.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think Sony is just flexing on Microsoft.

"you have no exclusvies and everything even close you can play on PC and isn't that great anyway. Check these games out!"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Where's the sarcasm font?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Arist posted:

It's like if Bill Murray went on a violent killing spree in Groundhog Day and then after a reset the rest of the movie was exactly the same and he was still the hero

Um...this would have ruled.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sealcub posted:

So far I've tried Sekiro and Bloodborne, and while I thought their gameplay was fun, I simply could not git gud enough to not make the experience frustrating, to the degree I couldn't/wouldn't progress past certain points. Are there similarly fantasy/supernatural setting games (or any other environments) out there with very smooth/airtight mechanics that feature scalable difficulty?

Someone referred Nioh to me, but also added it's even more difficult than Sekiro, so I was going to have to rule that one out. I was considering Shadow of the Colossus, Ghost of Tsushima, and maybe Immortals Fenyx Rising, any potential recommendations would be welcome.

Ghost of Tsushima is great. I'd rank it #2 among PS4 exclusives. #1 is God of War.

I liked Immortals Fenyx Rising a lot. I'd watch some gameplay and if it looks fun, grab it.

Shadow of the Colossus is fine. I think it's a bit thin of a game. Definitely better to play than to watch, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Spider man is a vigilante who wants to be a cop. Which is even worse.

‐--------

Just wait until someone figures out how to use PS4s to mine crypto. Then the prices will really soar. To the moon, in fact.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Luke Skywalker was a terrorist.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

VideoGames posted:

Just remembered I have already read every post in this thread.

Yikes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Greatest thing I've seen in a while.

Also pretty awesome to see they've moved away from DDR style dance games that aren't really dancing. Whatever that game is, it looks fun.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Buy a new cd drive and replace it? Yours might just need cleaning. Why not youtube some repair videos and see what you can do.

A cd drive rarely needs soldering or anything like that as it is mainly moving parts that cause issues. Unless it is the laser, but clicking usually is the moving parts.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know the formula is half your age plus 7 for one thing. But what about the backlog?

howlongtobeat.com needs an age/backlog function to let you know you should stop buying games because you will die first.

Say 1000 hours a year. Average age of 80. So let's see.

80 - age = X.

If you are 40 then 40,000 hours of games. That seems like a lot.

I think my idea needs some work. I'll put it on the backlog and work on it later.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It sounds like your HD is bad. The fact that the PS4 is trying to update/install the OS and failing points towards the HD.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Guillermus posted:

Trekking is great because you can avoid covid, enjoy some fresh air and then come back home to rest and play vidyagames and call it a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1pzN3CgANE

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't there a free trial? Or is that PC only?

Is your account tied to a platform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Paperhouse posted:

very weird thing happened to me earlier today

I was watching a youtube video on my PS4 and suddenly it stopped and I was taken to the sign in page. It said that another account had signed in. My PS4 was signed in to a different account, one that had never been on my account before and of a person I don't know. I live in Vietnam, the email address was a Vietnamese name and the profile picture was an Asian girl so presumably Vietnamese too. I was signed in to this account. I logged out and signed back in to my account.

can anyone explain how this could happen? I've tried googling some stuff but I don't really know what to search for. I can't understand how it could happen but it did. At first I was worried it was some kind of hack or phish or something but I don't think it was because it wasn't my account :confused:

I'm guessing you don't have 2 factor authentication set up yet.