Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
DOOM is game of the year, The Last Guardian is game of the decade. Because that's how long it took them to make it :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

revolther posted:

Seems kinda silly to critique that Zero Dawn clip as it's fairly obvious it's the dialog puzzle at the end of a five minute sidequest. Game is gonna have an open world nature, I can't imagine there are any lovely scenes of 1-shot NPC's in GTA5 or Second Son or whatever.

The game will still be "meh, it's pretty enough for a play through" like all Guerrilla games.

It's just silly, "I like good acting in video games", says a bunch of folks heavily invested in The Walking Dead and 3 extra seasons of Breaking Bad.

It's not just the voice-acting of one NPC, the shoddy character animations tell the real story of what kind of quality you're getting because they're gonna be used across the board for everything. Every single cutscene is guaranteed to use them, and they were the kind of poo poo laughed out the door of a first-year college class.

Have another look at the video and watch the way the faces actually work; There's no coherent relation between the eye and mouth movements, they each animate as individual objects sitting in/on the head in a way that hasn't been seen since the late 90's/early-00's. Nevermind the woman's head facing off to the side because whoops the animator tried to make her look aside and made it look even more unnatural. Most games at least use a character model that makes the face a single entire mesh so the animated expressions come off more natural instead of this idiotic mess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bloodychill posted:

We got a sex haver here everbody make room for the man, who wants to touch him

Trick question!

If we could stand physical contact, we'd be sex-havers too! :goonsay:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

J-Spot posted:

Maybe if all you care about is rushing through the story missions, but I'd say the open world adds more to it than most other games of this type. Getting the collectables was fun and keeping the players distracted with a map full of stuff enables the seamless multiplayer. You need a nice detailed world for the hide-and-seek style invasion mode.

Hell, make your own fun between missions and go profiling random passers-by for scientologists, furries, or whatever random trait you choose to hunt for sport :commissar:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alder posted:

One day I want to be able to share my screenshots from PS4 w/o linking my dead social media. Also I have a USB but it's not supported.

Sooo drop $10 on a pack of cheap USB sticks? :shrug:

It's a crap necessity, sure, but you don't need a fabulously expensive USB drive to do it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

I've never played a TR game outside of 2013 so that won't do much for me. :v:

Aside from a few bullshit fights (Shanty Town :argh:) it has been pretty fun.

Shanty Town is easy. You're even given the right tool for it and every fight onwards! Glorious loving FIRE ARROWS! :unsmigghh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looking at upcoming release dates and I can't help but think that, if nothing else, Guerilla Games have severely shot themselves in the foot with their choice of release date for Horizon: Zero Dawn. Two days before a brand-new Nintendo console, nevermind one of the most-wanted games of the last 4-5 years (Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild), is not a good place for any new release to be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

there was a video of some side quest thing where you're talking to a guy and people in this thread got really negative about the game over it

someone else probably still has the link and can share it if you haven't seen it yet

Part of the reason we all got so negative over it, lovely animation and dialogue aside, is the kind of thought process that leads to those design decisions tend to permeate throughout the entire thing. If this is what we're seeing in just a sidequest scene, what kind of crap have they pulled in the rest of the game?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jimbot posted:

The new Zelda looks like it has that annoying weapon durability poo poo from the first Dark Cloud game. Things look like they break incredibly fast.

The general inference has been you'll get better gear as you go, especially considering what we've seen in the demos has been merely stuff like rusty swords, broken fire wands, and mere moblin-crafted weaponry.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Real hurthling! posted:

XCX is not very good.

The main story is an utter turd, but there's a good 50-70 hours of sidequesting with legit-good writing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Lego City Undercover is one of the best open world games

I'm really glad it's getting ported to everything. That game deserves more love than it got.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

It was Final Fantasy 13-2 crystal edition

Huh I was expecting one of the big collector's editions, like Duke Nukem Forever's Balls of Steel Edition or the bigass collector's Edition of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kin posted:

But those other ones i've still to play are going to take a btit of time to get through (especially the Kingdom Hearts games at about 40 hours a piece). Can't really complain though as it's all gonna be fun, but i think that it's high time to draw a line on buying any new games until i play through all of these (and pretty much every multiplat that came out last year and is sitting on my Steam backlog).

Just stop lying to yourself now and accept that you're gonna keep building that backlog. You know you're gonna keep buying more games this year, we know you're gonna keep buying new games this year.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Oh my godddddd I forgot about this. What a genius multiplayer mode.

What happened Ubisoft :qq:?

Assassin's Creed made them a shitload of money and they started living out of their open-world engine kit.

That said, I am surprised we haven't gotten another Splinter Cell since Blacklist.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

Half of AC is seriously perfect: generations of two secret global organizations fighting each other by running around on rooftops in famous historical cities assassinating each other.

Then there's the whole DNA memory and alien magic or whatever. Why did those two things have to get married like this?

Most likely so they had an external framing device to tie otherwise-unrelated storylines together throughout history, and because you know drat-well at some point there's either going to be a game (or at least a stretch of gameplay) going all the way back to Adam and Eve's rebellion against the Precursors.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zipperelli. posted:

Serious question: Have there ever been any good movies based on video games? Resident Evil doesn't count because while the first one was ok, the rest got loving stupid, quick.

The Tomb Raider movies were pretty decent, weren't they?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ularg posted:

I don't know why but I have the Doom movie, I haven't watched it in years but I remember hating the loving guts of one of the characters for being really creepy and stuff towards like the single female character in the story.

At least it's better than ULTRAMARINES THE MOVIE COLON HEAD WOUND COLON FATAL.

Ultramarines is a dumb fun movie heretic, AND WE SHALL KNOW NO FEAR! :black101:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I stand corrected on the campaign part. But yeah, I get burned really bad with Multiplayer only, PVP Type Games and Ubisoft inspires no confidence. At least Uplay is better than Origin I guess?

Titanfall 2 not only has a campaign, it's one of the best FPS story modes in recent years.

Also a first-year student's buggy php client program project is better than loving Origin, its a very low bar :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

The PS4 has picked up momentum there recently but attached-to-a-tv console gaming is still basically dead in Japan, which is one reason JP publishers are increasingly looking at sales in the west. Vita/PS3/PS4 multiplats will phase out eventually but they're an easy way of maximising domestic revenue for smaller publishers.

Actually, from the looks of the announced titles, the small/medium developers are all jumping ship to the Nintendo Switch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there a list? I gave up following the Switch thread a long time ago.

The Wikipedia page for Switch games has several series of games that have generally had PS3/multiplatform versions like Disgaea, Blazblue, even a confirmation for a 'Tales of' game from the developers. Considering the Switch is the cheapest platform to develop for with it's lower specs (assuming it's not a wretched bitch to code for like the WiiU was), it's going to be the easy mark for a lot of developers that can't raise a budget to make something PS4-worthy in terms of graphics with the PS3 and Vita dead and buried now. Especially if it's something with 50+ hours of content like a JRPG, nevermind that Nintendo pulled their heads out of their asses and made the console region-free.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

If 'untitled SMT game' ends up being #FE 2 I'll probably get one.

Seems like a lot of hedge betting and ports of stuff that's already out at the moment though.

Full SMT mainline game. They had a teaser for it in the big Switch livestream back mid-January.

Bust Rodd posted:

For Honor strikes me as the kind of game that was meant to accompany a social trend that maybe never happenned, like maybe a big movie or book series could have made Viking vs Samurai vs Knight really cool and drawn it into the public eye...

Like they could have added scenes about Vikings and Samurai to their million dollar glow-trotting historical action set-piece movie they just made...

But it's just a really cool game coming out in a vacuum with no fan-fare or hype and an AWESOME DLC plan no one will notice or care.

I'm curious to see how the P2P connections will hold up once it actually releases, because I still don't think that's gonna be pretty in the slightest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

I stopped liking Ubisoft after AC Unity. But I absolutely loved Rayman Origins and legends. Can they just make a new Rayman game? Hell remaster the 1st Rayman game. It's a timeless classic imo.

AC:Syndicate is worth your time, it's legit good. Also the original Rayman isn't so much a 'timeless classic' as an exercise in self-harm considering how hard it gets.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons JB Hi-Fi's dropped the price on a bunch of PS4 games, including things like Odin Sphere for all of $28AU.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm finishing up side missions in Gravity Rush 2 and on the third scene of Battle Nurse 2 where you have to breakfall at the end of a long jump off an air bus, and I have failed to breakfall like 20 times in a row and Kat just face plants every time. I have been playing this game and its prequel for a long time and the breakfall mechanics are nothing special for action games, they had become second nature a long time ago. What am I not understanding here?

The timing is precise on a gimmick you've never even knew existed before the Battle Nurse segments, and now it expects you to execute it like you've been doing it on every landing you've ever made. You know, instead of faceplanting into the ground at high speed because you don't give a poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jeffLebowski posted:

i think the underlying reason for the popular hate boner surrounding for honor simply comes down to its price. the amount of content it offers would be considered light for a f2p game; its flat out laughable for a 60 dollar release. then they have the balls to throw in microtransactions and a season pass as well? i wont deny its a cool idea, and an interesting concept. but the pricing, and the sheer gall of ubisoft to expect people to lap up their content-light product at 60 + 40 is just rubbing people the wrong way.

keep in mind... just last week we saw nioh, a game with 18 huge main missions, dozens of side missions, multiple multiplayer modes--a game that will last you hundreds of hours if you wish--released for the same price as a glorified multiplayer only game (yes... im aware of the campaign, but we all know exactly how much effort went into it... namely, very little). compared to other options out there with better value propositions, for honor looks like an awfully poor choice right now. hell, i will probably give it a shot when it inevitably hits 20 bucks.

also people have just sort of had it with ubisofts overly-focus-grouped, mediocre, vanilla design sensibilities.

and on a personal level, i have to ask: why did they make an in-depth medieval combat fighting system, then poo poo it up with glowing ui elements and power-ups, along with pretty much every other immersion-breaking visual choice you could imagine. maybe its just me, but participating in a gritty castle siege while neon blue auras pop up and magically heal my fellow dudes just really kills the vibe for me.

It's more that we've played For Honour at some point as one Beta build or other and been turned right off of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just catching up with the thread, ImpAtom how did you get a copy of Horizon two weeks early?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

Microsoft confirmed a few months back that it will be significantly more expensive (their words) then the Xbox One S. I don't think they intend to sell it at a price point that appeals to everyone they can, it'll be an enthusiast gaming machine. It's going to have to be able to do native 4K on everything to justify that though.

It's going to be trotted out to die at this rate. XBones just don't have the library of exclusives to stand on a newer expensive model the way the PS4 Pro could encourage upgrades with (once that Boost mode came out, at least). It's an overpriced niche machine as you said, but it's up against it's own more conventional sibling, two versions of the PS4, and the Switch. All of which are almost certainly going to be cheaper.

Real hurthling! posted:

"Always" is not correct

Indeed. Xbox 360's backwards-compatibility has a whole lot of red in its list about which Xbox games are actually playable in a reasonable state and which will just fall over trying to run the disk or have missing textures. And the XBone's hasn't been so much a selling point as "please, god, buy it. We're good for some more exclusives, promise, just play your old stuff in the meantime on it okay? :ohdear:"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shredder posted:

yes but how many idiots spent $150 on a "better" controller? or $200 more for a "better" ps4 :lol:

seriously though if scorpio got a new viva pinata I'd preorder that poo poo

The "pro" controller's not entirely without merit, given it's usable on a pretty sizeable library of XBone and PC games without replacing anything else. It's obscenely overpriced, sure, but I wouldn't say it's a bad thing in of itself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

I agree, that was a great era. But we now have lovely things like season passes, dlc, exlcusive preorders that would be awesome if they weren't misused as they are now.

There was certainly never anything like that in the PS2, Xbox and GC era. Now enjoy your Heihachi while I kick rear end with Link in Soul Calibur 2...

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 16, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

I actually forgot about that. Soul calibur 2 was great

Such a shame the series went down the toilet after Soul Calibur 3 :sigh:. It was kind of a shock trying Soul Calibur for the first time on Dreamcast after playing 4 and 5 and realizing just how goddamn good the series used to be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

I like digital for obscure games

I could not find for example Drakengard anywhere in Amsterdam (this was before I learned about online shopping)
But now there's a (mostly) 24/7 available store that will never run out of games

For older games I don't mind going digital considering it's generally like $10 vs $100 physical, but there's some games I just wanted actual copies of like FFVII and FFIX.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I still don't see how, you can get games for new as cheaper or cheaper than second hand if you wait like three or four months anyway. If you're buying second hand within that time period it's usually like maybe £5 cheaper than a new copy if you're lucky.

Gamestop makes it a standing policy of pushing secondhand over new whenever possible, including underhanded sales tactics like insisting they're out of new copies despite having them to encourage shifting secondhand stock.

Really though it's because people trade their old games for new ones, and now Gamestop is stuck with an overabundance of second-hand stock in every store they can't shift for love nor money.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

el oso posted:

Have been replaying Black Flag lately. Still owns.

Unity was boring and Syndicate was ok. It's nice to see Ubisoft taking a break from the series for a year (while making a horrible AC movie, I guess) but it'll be interesting to see what they come back with to keep it going. There's not much more history for them to mine at this point.

If you have a PS3, AC:Rogue is worth a play and really improves on AC: Black Flag. You can even just buy whatever pelts you need :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alder posted:

Finally we can have the asian AC game we've been waiting for all these yrs.

AC:S is the only game I've completed and I'd be fine if they removed Jacob (Male PC) completely in future series. I tried BF and Unity but I couldn't get over how much I disliked the PCs.

One of the most outright-horrifying things I've ever seen in terms of pure violence is Evie Frye fighting bare-handed in Assassins Creed Syndicate :stare:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spuzzz posted:

The last Fight Club I did, she shattered one guys knee before kicking him in the back of the neck. Anything to make a buck I guess.

Wait til you see the move where she breaks a man's arm and then twists it round to just keep on breaking it in more places. It's fascinating to witness. It's always the quiet ones... :magical:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

me3 wasn't just the weak ending to a game; it was the weak ending to a trilogy of games, in which you made choices that shaped your character and the universe (s)he lived in. having an awful ending was a much bigger deal with that game because it was following two critically and fan acclaimed games that were liked in large part because of the characters and the story

Also the developers at every step along the way for five years told people the trilogy would absolutely not end in an arbitrary choice. Whoops.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VideoGames posted:

I have said before in various chat threads that Mass Effect 3 is my favourite of the trilogy but entirely due to playing it a year after Citadel was released. Not only that, but the choices I made and treating Citadel as the epilogue (which was recommended in the thread) gave me such a fitting end to the trilogy. The biggest issue with Mass Effect is probably that the game is, really, so very diverse and I somehow took a route through all 3 that was cohesive, entertaining and appropriate for how the story concluded.

I know for a fact that very, very few people would have played it the way I did (and so long after the fact) which meant that my experience was a complete outlier. It makes me sad that I seemed to have the experience Bioware wanted and very few others did but that was always going to be an issue with a lowkey 360 exclusive suddenly becoming hugely popular and a mandate from EA telling them to make the third one inclusive to players who'd never seen the first two.

I will always appreciate what Bioware were attempting with it because I don't really recall any other game trying the same thing before them (please correct me if I am wrong!) and I hope Andromeda is as excellent fun as I found the original trilogy.

The ending wasn't at all what most of Bioware wanted, reputedly. The head writer told everyone to pound sand while he wrote it himself in a locked room. It also obliterates the entire point of the Paragon route showing it's entirely possible for organics and synths to live in harmony.

The Extended Cut dlc was the remaining writers making an admirable attempt to salvage the flaming wreckage into something coherent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sefal posted:

infamous did them well I think? Of course you had to go either full evil or full good to get the full experience.

No, they stunk badly because you had to choose a path and never deviate from it. Otherwise you arbitrarily hosed yourself out of the top-level power.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean everyone deemed a game awful trash because of one badly designed cutscene so

That was because most open-world games build out of a toolkit and standardized assets, so what you see in one is a pretty safe bet on what's in all/most of them. It apparently not being the case is perfectly fine by me :shrug:. Won't be picking it up til well after Breath of the Wild, but I wanna climb one of those big Radar Giraffes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Abugadu posted:

For games with frame rate issues, is it better to install on the hard drive or to get the disc? Assume 'just avoid' isn't one of the options.

Zero difference. All games install to the drive anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Goddamn, that emote is depressing to watch .