Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grassy gnoll posted:

Calls from a consumer are probably ranked higher in importance than protests from an employee, yeah. They've already got their employees under their thumb, but you can spend your money elsewhere.

Anger and outrage generates clicks and internet buzz, just look at any social media platform. Also that far up the totem pole they are not going to give two shits. The other place you "spend your money" is probably invested in or owned by them anyway at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boop the snoot posted:

If I got fired because I disapproved of my company supporting genocide, I would be okay with that even though it would leave me in a really lovely situation. I understand this isn’t an option for everyone, but if you don’t speak out against your employer supporting genocide at a minimum, you might as well endorse it with them, in my opinion.

This is one reason Israel is able to commit genocide. Capitalism has their back.

You really need to just take a step back for a moment; Someone making minimum-wage wanting to hold onto the job that's standing between them and homelessness doesn't automatically mean they endorse what the company CEO decides or bankrolls.

Bust Rodd posted:

For the record I don’t think anyone who doesn’t protest is a coward, I just think everyone who does protest is a hero

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boop the snoot posted:

Someone making minimum wage putting money in the pockets of people endorsing genocide doesn’t get a pass from me.

Capitalism has Israel’s back and that’s why genocides can happen without anyone speaking up about it: they might lose their job.

I understand your star player is the person in the mirror but “might lose your job” and “genocide” don’t hold the same weight to me.

It’s not acceptable to be quiet in a situation like this. Sorry.

Name the minimum wage job that doesn't have a shithead CEO at the top that people can have then.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boop the snoot posted:

I put “openly supporting genocide” at or near the top of lovely things a CEO can probably do. Where do you put it? And what would a CEO need to do for you to say “wow those employees should probably quit or take a stand” I wonder?

You don't seem to realize that someone quitting working out of protest for the CEO of JP Morgan's actions waaay down the totem pole, through a holding company or two, if they even know or care who's at the top, is quite probably going to wind up right back under them through a different holding company and they'd never know it.

Also I guarantee that contact email has a message-forwarding rule to just erase anything with the words "palestine" or "genocide" in it without a human seeing anything beyond a stat of how many got wiped per day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Akuma posted:

That's a bold assumption...

The current PS5 camera doesn't even work for it, you have to send away for an adapter in the mail to use the old one.

It's not just that, Sony has meticulously siloed PSVR so there is no way it can continue on PS5 beyond existing legacy hardware.

The new PSVR2 almost certainly won't have direct backwards-compatibility, unless they have fudged a way to track a DualSense from the HMD. There's also a few games like Farpoint that track where the camera is and may be a sticking point. I'd expect PSVR2 versions of the bigger PSVR titles, at least.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

why are they so bad at this poo poo...

Sony's got a pretty good reason in this case; PSVR is massively outdated at this point in the VR ecosystem, and without the firm demarkations they've put in place to legacy it out in a nice clean manner they'll be stuck supporting it alongside PSVR2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Once you get the flamethrower the alien becomes way easier to deal with than the androids

The flamethrower doesn't work forever. The Alien is always learning your tricks...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rinkles posted:

It's one of a few PS2 games that came on CD instead of DVD

I think this is a regional or possible a first-print-run thing, as my PAL disc is a DVD.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah I heard anecdotally about them but when I hear 'Sentry gun' being said I assume bullets or mortars considering the size of the robots.

But no, they're automatic railguns that have yet to be broken so far in Area 1 of the battle missions.

Anyway, I'm glad that Guerrilla Games had the restraint to not make the big robot mammoth in the new Horizon game have a shockwave and shake the screen every time it took a step.

Get the Interceptor Drones on the Gen-4 Sentinels that can equip them and deploy them regularly :gibs:. The only thing with the deployables is I took way too long to realize there's not a cap on them (I thought it was like a buff and you could only have one active at a time) and you can just keep on calling in more :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The loot mechanics weren't even really there in the original game, someone quite clearly took an axe to a lovely lootbox system and excised as much as they could late in development.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

smuggling in a gen 1 up close for a spinning sawblade attack was the only thing that got me through some of the tougher fights on Hard mode

Gen 1's are you classic Kaiju-killers and you WANT Demolisher Blade on everyone for killing the big-boy enemies.

That said, don't sleep on the Plasma Arc Fusion Cutter for the Gen-2's, because it's obscenely powerful and can utterly erase a nuisance enemy that turns up mid-game in one hit; the Deimos Sentinel copies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Keitaro with the Main Battery Mega Railgun is really great for poking stuff in a line across the map. No armor-piercing (and frankly you'd think the Mega Railgun would at least), but boy does it just go. I just left him camped by the Terminal taking shots at things anytime he took the field.

Super Large Missile's also always great for clearing out enemy clusters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inspector Hound posted:

At a friend's house I played Gears of War 5 or 8 or whatever they're on now, then came home and searched through the PS Store before excitedly remembering that it's an XBox exclusive. What's the PS4 answer to Gears of War?

Vanquish will scratch that itch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inspector Hound posted:

Hellblade ...seemed monstrously boring in spite of their pretty graphics.

Try it with headphones if you haven't already.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boop the snoot posted:

Is this why IGN gives every AAA at least a 7?

You mean the major review publisher that needs to stay in the good books of major game studios to ensure they stay the major review publisher by receiving review copies? :v:

On the flipside, generally if IGN are willing to give a game a truly bad review you KNOW it's honest. (Aside from God Hand's of course, :argh:)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think part of it is this but part of it is also if you spend billions of dollars on a game it is very hard to make an outright bad game. Maybe it's boring or the endgame has nothing to do or the balance is bad but when a huge game is outright lovely it becomes headline news

Nah, what's largely put paid to that is modernized gaming engines (Otherwise you'd still see it crop up in indie titles a bunch). You can't really get something atrociously buggy anymore because most developers aren't writing custom engines from scratch, they just use Unity or Unreal. You can get balance and "flavour" issues like "this gun sounds crap", but you can't really get glaring game-stopping fuckups like "shooting doesn't work in the shooting game" because it'll be built on the bog-standard Unreal shooting game API.

Ubisoft games, as an exception, break in interesting ways despite the money they throw at development because they have their own Snowdrop Engine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

And Anvil and Dunia and Disrupt.. I think they retired UbiArt though.

Yeah, UbiArt's sadly shuttered as an engine and project :sigh:. It's a shame, because they turned out some consistently good stuff too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Well you did get FF14 1.0 at one point lol

That was more of a "hammer in want of a nail" thing than a bad engine. The Crystarium engine works really well for single-player games, and had done for multiple titles by the time FFXIV was on the table, it just turned out it scaled like crap for the scope of an MMO.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VideoGames posted:

Hmmm. I searched the store for it, but it is not here in the UK

Just make a US account for stuff not on your local PSN store. Anything you download on it is accessible on your main/local account on the same console once it's installed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hopper posted:

Subnautica is an excellent game that made me play more survival games. Its one of the rare ones where survival doesn't mean "survive the Zombies".

Just stick with it for a bit and it will open up considerably and be less effort to craft things.

Just having a SeaGlide is a major gamechanger.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bust Rodd posted:

I think they think it’s a game for Furries… which… are? a member of the LGBTQIA+? I honestly have no idea but it’s super funny either way since he turned out to be tool.

If you're not up on the latest; Scott Cawthorn's been caught out donating money to literally all the worst Republicans when it comes to shitheads with policies on LGBTQIA+ people. And not like just a bit, he's maxed out campaign donations. That why FNAF being in the queer-friendly games collection is funny.

i'm looking straight at the sun and i don't see poo poo :shrug:

That's because your retinas melted and you're blind now, dumbass! :pseudo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

Crash Bandicoot 4 is currently all of $20AUD in Target at the moment. Available both online and in-store.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

if people in here feel like compiling a list of recent local co-op games in addition to the ones in the OP posted here i will add it to the new thread; i noticed a lot of the feedback in the games suggestions thread was people annoyed that megathread OPs were perpetually out of date. i've been trying to keep the OP relatively up to date in the PS5 thread and i will continue to do so out of sheer boredome for the forseeable future. no pressure tho :shrug: :shobon:

here is the old list

suggestions?

Moving Out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

the only well-adjusted character in GTAV is franklin's girlfriend, who's onscreen for...two minutes? and gets three lines?

the rest aren't just shitheads, they're caricatured shitheads. they don't have characters or personalities beyond "spoof of political/game protagonist stereotype." at least characters like dmitri or micah come by their unpleasantness honestly

Trevor's a lot smarter than he lets on if you pay attention to what he actually does or says. There's several times you can see the gears turning in his head and he plays up the psycho to get what he wants or deflect away from something else. He's a fascinatingly manipulative piece of poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

Resident Evil 3 is currently $10AUD on the EB Games website.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, it's fuckin' crap. It's balanced around the crapass card system and the stages are way the gently caress too long and you're better off playing L4D2 again or WWZ or even Vermintide.

I think the card system is pretty great just for replayability :shrug:. Corruption Cards are literally the same kind of random environment hazards that L4D2 would do, it just telegraphs them, or an optional challenge to shake things up for money (eg; don't get anyone killed, or don't set off anything that would attract a Horde) and you play your cards to counter them or buff yourself. And considering your cards stack by the end of a run you're setting yourself up pretty well. It's built really well so you're getting a better variety of experiences with each run.

That said, a campaign run does not need to be eight goddamn stages long, especially when they seem to wrap up with a nice clean handoff at the fourth stage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PRADA SLUT posted:

Which version of Persona 4 do I want?

On a PS5, if it matters.

You're currently outta luck, bub. check back in a month maybe

Yeah, it's only on Steam at the moment sadly. If by chance you mean Persona 5, then you absolutely want P5 Royal.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arist posted:

For the record, the reason it's a month is that Atlus is teasing some big Persona announcements for September. Maybe if we're good we'll get a P4 port, but I'm more interested in potential Persona 6 news, whatever the hell they might be doing to update Persona 3 (even if I don't love that game), or god forbid an Ultimax port (please, Atlus, I've been so very good this year)

The thing with the SMT: Nocturne remaster is that it's original code sitting in whatever they've used to get it running. The same engine that runs Digital Devil Saga, and forked off to run Personas 3 and 4. Theoretically, the hard work's mostly done to make a straight Persona 3 HD port possible.

Arist posted:

Royal is the better version in almost every way, but it's worth noting since you mentioned being on PS5 that you can get P5 vanilla for free as part of the PS+ Collection

I'd still say get P5 Royal IMO. You get a lot of extra game, a lot of fixes and improvements to the base gameplay, and all the silly DLC costumes of the original to boot.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 18, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arist posted:

The issue is more that they kind of have to include the female route, and at that point they need to do so much work to everything else to fill in the gaps in content that it might just be a full remake at that point.

Oh very true, and one well worth making too :hmmyes:. I kinda wonder if the Evokers might be a bit of a touchy point nowadays that they might rework if they did make a P3 remaster. Mental health's taken a bit of a dip for a lot of people around the world now, and hoo-boy did P3 like to get edgy with its edgy self-inflicted headshots :suicide:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Psychonauts 2 was really good for the most part. Only complaint is it feels like there's two disparate script drafts welded together as the interns may as well just vanish from the plot after the first act where the games feels like it's setting up a more "go on missions with the teachers" dynamic, and the game suddenly focuses on aspects of Ford Cruller around the Motherlobe instead. All just for them to reappear in the finale like they've been around for the entire game's story.

It's still really good, and does a fantastic job of just insinuating enough on the darker topics behind some of the character's issues without making light of them, or bringing them too far into the spotlight for a kid's game, while still making it clear what's going on if you know the signs. Eg; Bob's alcoholism throughout his family's history.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm still very confused about two things.

1 - the ted faro thing with apollo. It just seems like, even though he was funding things, he had an awful lot of power and access with no oversight. That doesn't relly jive with the project, but whatever.

2 - the big one is the whole post credits scene w/ Sylens. That seems like something that was thrown on as a sequel hook without thinking about how it made no sense with the rest of the game. I suspect this annoyed the hell out of a lot of people when the game came out.

Ted Faro learned from not having a back door override getting him into the whole mess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

If you like Persona and feel like Dancing All Night, the Persona Dancing: Endless Night digital collection with all three games is currently discounted down from $178AUD to $33.99AUD on the PSN store.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

We're installing a PS4 Pro in our office. Any suggestions for good local multiplayer games please? Either ones that are good just for a laugh or which we could organise the odd office tournament for. Can't seem to see all that many which offer local multiplayer for more than two players, so some which do that would be good.

So far I'm thinking one of the Jackbox titles, a sports title (FIFA or PES) and a fighting (any local 4 player examples?) or racing game (maybe Crash Team Racing).

Any suggestions gratefully received, thread.

Moving Out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wolfsheim posted:

So I ended up loving Spider-Man Miles Morales enough to 100% it on New Game +, a thing I literally never do. It helps that it's pretty short and zipping around the city never gets old, and it's a nice touch that depending on when you do various side missions there are minor dialogue changes so you can at least switch it up on the second time through.

I never touch Photo Modes either, but there was a trophy for this one and it made me curious enough to dabble, and soon enough I was snapshotting Spider-Man all over Manhattan. It never even occurred to me until looking online that people use it for action scenes, I literally only took shots of SM just hanging out. Here's a few that I think turned out well:

SM getting coffee:

I only took this shot because of that mouse just inexplicably chilling on the hood of that car behind them:

ASMAB:

Fun fact on this one, they gave SM a bunch of little dance animations for this small part of this side mission that's never called attention to and never used again:

Missed opportunity for a Spider-Longshoreman outfit imo:

There are three Spider-Mans in this picture:

Here is SM seconds away from scaring the poo poo out of the meals-on-wheels guy doing a high speed turn in heavy traffic during a blizzard:

Is SMMM the best winter holiday vibes game of all time?

Something I really loved with Spider-Man was how well Insomniac leaned into the "Friendly Neighbourhood" side of Spider-Man. He's not doing the aloof Avenger-in-a-Tower/Cave/Lair deal like some superheroes, he's taking the subway to get around New York (and generally not even close to being the weirdest thing on the train) and stopping to talk to folk everywhere he goes. If not take a selfie with them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JollyBoyJohn posted:

But also you can comfortably beat it [Yakuza 0]in 25 hours!

*Laughs in Pocket Circuit*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

The Uncharted Movie is finally happening and I'm stunned that they have Tom Holland playing Drake for the entire thing and not just him as a teenager.

They'll probably be banking on a franchise and going with someone younger so the studio can get a long run of work out of them.

Definitely still real stupid though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Not that it matters. making uncharted into a movie is a boring rear end idea at it's core. skeptical of the TLOU TV show for the same reasons. Naughty Dog's whole appeal is that they bring existing TV/Movie tropes into a video game and execute it well. If you take the game part out it's just some generic adventure/post apocalypse stuff.

The Last Of Us has enough breadth to it to be turned into a show, I think. It'd work if you did something like using Joel and Elly as the audience surrogates for a look into how individual cities and towns have fallen or evolved since the big outbreak.

And likely leaving them utterly destroyed, or everyone dead, by the time they're leaving to head off to the next.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Augus posted:

my favorite part of assassin’s creed unity is the flavor text that was basically one of the game’s historical consultants looking at the camera and ranting about how Les Miserables isn’t about the French Revolution shut the gently caress up about Jean Valjean

There's a collectable in Syndicate where he's (ab)using the Animus to see what all the old beers tasted like, and despising each and every one in very descriptive ways.

Except for one that he legitimately enjoyed had nothing bad to say about.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inspector Hound posted:

I don't think it was pointed out that one of the free games this month was all three Mass Effects bundled together with most or all of the DLC. I'm not super far into the first one yet, but I loved playing through them years ago and can't wait to do it again.

It's functionally "All" the DLC. The only thing missing is Pinnacle Station, because that was outsourced and the source code is just plain gone. Also Pinnacle Station was pretty bad anyway and didn't add anything to the story, so no big loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anthem wouldn't even be good if it was free.