Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mutata posted:

I find the combat in HZD to be extremely satisfying, especially when you're fighting a pack of enemies later in the game, switching weapons to apply certain effects, setting up traps on the fly or tying enemies down while you focus on their friends, then switching again to follow up, getting up close to stab a robot in the face to finish it off, and then at the end it's all quiet and you're standing in a sprawling field scattered with broken metal husks and robot parts. :shobon:

I mean, you can also just run away and plink at them with a single arrow type for 20 minutes too, but why would you do that when there are objectively more fun ways to play?

I believe there's a certain type of person who will play the 'optimal' regardless of how tedious this may be. This includes playing Batman games with detective vision on 24/7 even though it makes it so you're fighting skeletons in a neon hellscape, or spending a Souls game crouched behind a shield and inching forward ever so slowly. I even recall one guy who decided the best way to play Fallout 3 was to immediately go and get as many bobbleheads and magazines as possible before doing any quests, because not having that 1+ AGL from the get-go was just unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

W3 and BB have literally nothing in common outside of 'this is a third person game.'

Well, and I guess there are werewolves in both.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Third person melee combat and you can put points into stuff.

GTA San Andreas really blew Super Mario Sunshine out of the water

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

my favorite season pass developer greed was when bethesda said "hey you have two weeks to buy our season pass for $25 we're adding some MONDO poo poo and doubling the price to accommodate for that" and the thing they added to the season pass was paid mods

The two actual expansions and Automatron were totally worth $25 though? It's the two or three cosmetic settlement ones that you'd be crazy to pay extra money for.

I mean worth it in the 'if you like F4 this is more of that with some minor improvements' way, not the 'anyone who pays more than $5 for a Bethesda game is a loving idiot, Todd Howard raped my family' way.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Hey, is it weird that the main reasons I can't get into Just Cause 3 are that I can't change my clothes and the cars don't have radio stations? For a game where the story is basically "haha grappling hooks and explosions" you'd think it'd have more in the way of little touches and stuff but it feels super bare bones. Was it a rushed development or something?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I'm interested in Agents of Mayhem because Saints Row is cool and good but I think what'll make it or break it is the actual overall cohesion of disparate elements. Like how SR3 improved a lot of gameplay stuff like combat and driving over SR2 but was still way less fun than SR2 because the city was bland as gently caress and the plot was a crazy mishmash of various threads being thrown at you at random unless you followed a guide to know which order to do which missions, or how SR4 didn't ever really feel like a full game so much as someone modded in superhero powers, then someone else modded in the ME2 ship and sex scenes.

Basically I guess I'll wait for reviews is what I'm saying :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

It's funny that MGSVTPP got brought up because I started playing it again this weekend after not touching it for over a year and it just so ridiculously smooth compared to any other third person game. Not even the shooting (what kind of plebe doesn't go through every mission using only a pistol for holdups :smug: ) but just the general movement. It's so, so good.

I just wish any one map was as interesting as the Cuban base from Ground Zeroes, and I'm genuinely surprised Konami hasn't nickel and dimed a bunch of piecemeal DLC like that given their business model. Seems like that would be a cheap, easy way to get money from chumps like me who can't help themselves.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I should beat Bloodborne some day, maybe.

If I got to the bit where a castle makes spikes shoot out of my body how close was I really

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

gently caress, I think I deleted the save forever ago :negative:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I have this OCD thing where if I don't either beat a game or get close to it and then get distracted for a few months I'll start fresh rather than pick up where I left off

This made actually finishing the Witcher 3 difficult but I got there eventually

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

No I just go to the HDD and purge a bunch of poo poo at once

For the longest time the only permanent saves on my HDD were Super Meat Boy, Ground Zeroes and my old old Dragon Age Inquisition character I'd carried over from PS3

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

You guys asking for bloodborne tags are gonna regret it when you realize it was just a trick and you wake up tomorrow as members of Da Knack Krew

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

i like every final fantasy gave i've played except for the NES FF2

note that i haven't played FF10-14

but the rest have their charms, haters to the left

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

The only genuinely bad ones are 2 and 3, though I personally hate 8 and 1 is too old for me.

3 is severely flawed and the final dungeon is impossible without spending literal days grinding, but the dark knight class that let you hit like 32x per attack was cool as gently caress

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

89 posted:

All I can really tell that's coming out this Fall for PS4 or Xbox is:

Fargo Cry 5
Another Assassin's Creed
Destiny 1.5
Call of Duty: We're Like Battlefield Now
Cuphead

What am I missing on here?

Shadow of War

Though whether or not microtransactions are a thing you can ignore or have rendered it unplayable remains to be seen

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Rockstar once again shows how dumb they are by not letting you transfer your previous-gen GTA online character to current-gen whenever you want. Bye level 50-something character!

I feel like this was still a thing just after the PS4 version came out, though? I definitely remember importing my level 13 scrub and getting a chance to fix her busted face that the PS3 character creator had regrettably produced.

EDIT: ouch, that is lovely.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

curse the mod who put me in the knack pack

curse them

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

KingSlime posted:

The right way to do it is to simply let you change any color at will, why does there need to be an item attached? Does allowing players to switch colors hurt anything other than the profitability of microtransactions?

The game sells at a full sixty bucks oh no god forbid they let you have fun with it and customize to your heart's desire

Have some standards for yourselves!!! So many good games out there rn

Was fable the game where they specifically took out black hair dye (and only black hair dye) to sell it as a separate $2 DLC instead

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I played Hatoful Boyfriend for forty minutes then got murdered for picking the wrong birdseed, GOTY

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I didn't own a PS until my 360 finally, permanently died and I got a PS3 on the cheap at a Black Friday thing, then repurchased a handful of games I already owned on the 360.

Which makes the first PS game I ever played...Alpha Protocol. Which is probably the first and only time you'll ever see or hear that sentence.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

rabidsquid posted:

i preordered that game for the ps3, i was literally the only person to do so at the game stop i got it from and the girl working the register was surprised to discover the game existed

I still love AP despite the actual gameplay being mostly terrible. In a perfect world, a game exists that combines the stealth gameplay of MGSV, the reactive plot mechanics of Alpha Protocol, and the 80s soundtracks of both.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone played the XCOM DLC yet? Does is help the load times? I'm still playing a vanilla campaign and I was going to buy it after but I might as well get it now if it takes some of that sting off.

They're generally a little better but you'll still load up a random mission that inexplicably takes like five minutes.

Also, some of the new zombietown levels will just randomly have textures missing or popping in, moreso than any other level, but still not too bad.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Weirdly I was just playing FFIX for the first time ever on my PS3 a few months ago, having got it for like $5 in some sale forever ago.

I played through the opening bit up until you get to the open world and then stopped, somehow instinctually knowing that the hundreds and hundreds of random turn based battles wouldn't live up to the promise of the completely charming opening act. Assuming I never play it again it will stay in my mind as the perfect throwback Final Fantasy that I never played. Almost like playing FFVII and stppping just after leaving Midgar.

I also stopped FFVIII after like thirty minutes but that's because I could tell it was bad and not gonna get better.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

My favorite example of video game morality is the guy who completed a no-kill run in New Vegas by leaving House languishing in a coffin slowly dying a horrific death of airborne disease...but he didn't shoot him so it still said zero in the stats.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Was this the thread where people argued about Dishonored's morality for like twenty pages? Because it intrigued me to think it had that kind of shades-of-grey thing going on and made me finally get around to playing it...And then at the end one of three good guys in the game almost literally says "hey thanks for being a good guy" and then you beat the game and enjoy the good guy ending.

I mean it was still a good time overall (the costume party and assassin fights were great) but I'm not sure if you people were just loving with me or what.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

You guys are overcomplicating it. MGSV was my first MG game and all you really need to know is that Snake is the leader of a baller paramilitary group with his buddies Kaz and Ocelot. There's also some scientist you work with named Huey who is an rear end in a top hat and you don't trust him.

Some crazy poo poo went down in South America and in Ground Zeroes you're rescuing two South American kids who got caught up in it, and it turns out a group named Cipher is trying to kill you. TPP takes place a few years later and Cipher is still trying to kill you, only now there's a shitload of David Bowie references because its the 80s. Now enjoy the actual stealth gameplay punctuated every few hours by Cipher randomly showing up to go "Aha! Our scheme is going perfectly!" before you can get back to fultoning guys and tranquilizing sheep.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Snak posted:

I'd like to apologise for being dumb, and say that, now that I have bound my 4 most-used abilities to the d-pad, my experience of Dishonored is greatly improved.

What I found annoying though was that having four swappables works really well for stealthy nonviolence because you're basically switching from blink to batman vision to bending time pretty regularly, but when you actually wanna use weapons it's still kind of a shitshow.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I'll be the voice of dissent and say that the HZD sidequests are middling at best, especially compared to the baller main quest. Aloy's VA is consistently great and all, but a lot of the sidequest characters/situations were pretty forgettable (especially in comparison to Witcher 3, the other beautiful open world game where your magic powers mostly involve you following glowing footsteps to help random peasants).

The rewards are also pretty crap, since 98% of them end in you getting a lootbox which contains a tiny amount of money, machine parts and low-tier runes. The only sidequests that reward anything else are the hunting lodge quests which randomly give you one unique weapon at the middle and then a bunch of slight variations on your existing weapons when you 100% the trials. This means you'll more than likely buy your preferred set of purple weapons and purple armor about 1/3rd into the game and end up using that same set until the last two hours or so.

Not that this makes the actual robot hunting and sneaking about and looking out over beautiful vistas any less amazing, mind you, just consider that if a sidequest sounds kinda boring you can blow it off and not miss much. That one time I accidentally stumbled onto a bunch of invisible stalkers guarding a thunderjaw when i was way too low level and under-equipped and had to set a complicated series of traps and used up most of my ammo just surviving it was a thousand times more memorable than any sidequest I can remember.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The only sidequest I really enjoyed was helping Nil. The actual human combat is pretty weak, but the guy just has such an enthusiasm for murder it made me laugh.

I also liked the golden-eyepatch guy who sends you to gently caress around with some Banuk tribe, the quest itself is short but he's so well-designed and the voice-actor just nails it, it made me wish he played a larger role.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Kobogartimer posted:

When I first played Dragon's Dogma on the ps3, my pawn became fixated on looting inconsequential crap. Every time we visited Gran Soren, he would jump into the fountain to fish out the coins and eventually associated arriving in Gran Soren with becoming drenched. So whenever we went there he would always dutifully remind me to be careful I don't get soaked.

I've never played Dragon's Dogma but this kind of AI retardation makes it sound kind of amazing

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

To be honest? Ignored New Order on the assumption that it was just another mindless shooter. I burned out on FPS games after Bioshock Infinite.

This was me but now I'm thinking of diving in, because for some reason certain people are getting real mad about W2's advertising and I definitely wanna encourage more of it.

And it seems like it might be kinda refreshing, I'm the guy who painstakingly goes out of his way to avoid killing peeps in any game that allows it (MGSV, Dishonored, etc) but now I'm basically thinking "okay, how horrifically can I kill all of these nazis?"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I think that means you're a nazi.

This is gonna be the new thing where I'm not allowed to dislike Wonder Woman for its weak second half without looking like an rear end in a top hat, isn't it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Most RPGs do this with respect to carry weight though. It was especially egregious in DXHR when the DLC stripped you naked and suddenly you could only carry half as much poo poo.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Spoken like a bunch of goons who never experienced the joy of being Alistair's elven consort

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

a big difference between horizon and the witcher or fallout is that the gameplay in horizon is actually really good, rather than just being an adequate vehicle for the quests/exploration

The problem is actually reverse, in W3 or F4 you're exploring because you might find some good loot or a little neat sidequest or something. In HZD there is no loot other than what you buy from vendors or cobble together from animal parts, so outside of 'this would be a pretty place to fight robots' there's no incentive to explore (since the entire game is a pretty place to fight robots and you do it in every biome during the main quest anyway).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Skyrim VR owns

Shh! Don't you know that every time you praise an unmodded Bethesda game a random PC gamer feels a sharp pain in the back of his neck?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Just popping in to say I restarted Nier Automata after stalling out forever ago during 9S's boring part but it has good writing despite being extremely anime.

Also the forest castle is extremely good.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Have you heard of this bloodborne, guys? It has werewolves in it and it's pretty cool. Your cane is also a whip!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I bounced off Watch Dogs like three times because of its joyless protagonist, is 2 a significant improvement? Also, do they still do that weird thing where you can use weapons while driving a car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Prey is fun to explore, the setting is very pretty and well-realized and the plot (and the various ways you can break it) is good. Regardless of this you will absolutely find combat to be a huge chore at least 2/3 of the way through if not sooner. Deal breaker for some but I thought it's strength made up for it.