Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Started playing the campaign in Titanfall 2. It's good, but like Poochie, every time I'm not in a titan I'm thinking, where's my titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

retailer leaked rdr 2 having a october 2nd release date.

10/2 is mid quarter so its an unlikely placeholder but still might be fake

It's a Rockstar game, even if it's real it doesn't matter

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I got that "year in review" email from PSN and it said my most played game of 2016 was Fallout 4 with like 40-some hours. I'm pretty sure I played a lot more than that, I platinumed the base game and got the season pass when it was still $30, and did everything with that except for the last half of Nuka World.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Been playing a little bit of Steep and while the core gameplay is fine I'm baffled as to why there is no upgrade system. You can unlock more peaks, and buy cosmetic items, but there just isn't a "hook" to keep you going.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I bought it three times too (360, ps4 physical, ps4 digital) and if psnprofiles.com is any indication, not many people finish it. My rarest trophies were all from that game, until For Honor anyway.

I'll start playing it again if boost mode helps the frame rate, too.

I understand this, and have fun with GTA online but I hope the series hasn't permanently become an mmo.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I love Lego Dimensions but I also got the starter pack for $40 and 2 level packs + 5 more characters for like $50 so it's not like I was paying full price for all the stuff.

How are yall insisting on playing HZD on very hard? I keep getting smoked on Normal. Is it because I'm not far enough in to have unlocked stuff?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I'm thinking at this point, probably 25 hours in, HZD is probably going to go down in my top 10 games of all time.

I don't think "hurr games are bad now MY NOSTALGIA" but I definitely think they are less memorable. I play and beat a lot of games (Gamefly) and then I never think about them again. I don't think the PS4 generation has produced this game for me yet. The last absolute all-timer for me was GTA5. We of course know barely anything about it but I think RDR2 might reach that "truly memorable" standard for me.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Steep has no upgrade tree except cosmetic unlocks and new areas and I got bored of it real quick

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

idk how you can get hyped for crackdown though its in obvious dev hell and is the follow up to one of the worst sequels of all time.

Remember when a goon worked on Crackdown 2 and hyped it up then got dogpiled when the game was poo poo and had less content than Crackdown 1

Same thing happened with Mercenaries 2, I think those are both in the running for worst sequels ever. Mercs was buggy as hell on top of taking out all the stuff people liked.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Skwirl posted:

20 pages back and communist as hell, but every single house and apartment in America has electricity and water, seems like we could also get them fiber optic cables. Wouldn't even need to go full communism because God knows there's a poo poo ton of private utility companies.

The Telcos don't want to do this and when governments offered to do it themselves they paid off legislators to stop them

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Mafia 3 was at my limit when it comes to video game violence. It's really amazing there was no controversy over this when people used to freak out about "hot coffee"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwkfIDqB9Yo

The video game moral panic ended when the supreme court said video games were covered by the first amendment. What is it now, social media? Smartphones in general?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

The enemies hide as random objects and you need to glue them down and then shoot them.

You can like, turn into a roll of toilet paper and poo poo. I'm in.

Yall are talking about what you pay for games and stuff but I've had Gamefly for almost 10 years at this point and can't imagine otherwise. I never buy new releases unless it's a slam-dunk never-trade like GTA5 or something that I know will last me months like FIFA.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's extra dumb that you can't even take screenshots.

I don't know anything about Persona but I learned because I kept seeing pictures of peoples' TV on twitter

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Here's Bill Corbett from MST3k in Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, a volume of which you surely came across if you bought a CD-ROM drive or "10 Games in 1" collection in the mid-90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqlwNEt_4yo

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

SamuraiPaul posted:

A port of Me and My Katamari might also be nice just because Katamari on the Funk was such a good song. I'm pumped for Loco Roco even if I have it on my vita.

It's appalling that there aren't even PS2 to PS4 ports of the first two katamari games

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Fix posted:

That is a loving outstanding idea.

Also, Telltale Mr Belvedere.

Only if there's a choice for "sit on your balls and they have to stop filming for a week"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Wasn't there a contest where you could bid on or win stuff by having trophies? The new sex experience or something we all laughed at because of the url?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I'm interested in NBA playgrounds but with all the promised free updates and the season ending in a month it seems like waiting a bit will result in a better game and on a flash sale

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I hated spending 45 minutes hunting a huge pack of bad guys and the last one kills me and I wasted 45 minutes.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Today's completely unsurprising news: RDR2 now Spring 2018

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

DrNutt posted:

That's totally fine with me. I'd rather wait and get a great game than have them rush and put out a bug filled might-have-been-a-good-game. Well, assuming we're not all dead from the Trumpocalypse in Spring 2018.

$20 says the game looks like rear end on a non-pro PS4 so I don't mind putting off upgrading, either

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

GTA Online had a really lovely barrier to entry. I've had a lot of fun with it but I was there from day one and I could easily see it being overwhelming to someone starting from scratch, even if you aren't trying to PVP.

But they absolutely had the right idea with making all the DLC itself free and simply selling money as opposed to Call of Duty-style season passes or content packs or whatever. I had no problem leaving the more expensive low-functionality stuff to the whales, and had plenty of money to buy into the actual gameplay updates (business properties, car garages, biker clubs) with just my in-game earnings. So I think there's something to get hyped for sight-unseen about whatever online is in RDR2.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I quit playing like a year before the first heist actually even came out so maybe it got better,

It absolutely did and they don't care how lovely it was early on because the online stuff made money hand over fist from day one. They certainly know how to build on what they've done at least, GTA Online borrowed heavily from Max Payne 3 and the original RDR online.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Yes Far Cry is formulaic but I actually like that formula. Throw in Internet racists filling their diapers already and you better believe I'm pre-ordering this ($48 with Prime, right?)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Far Cry 2 had a lot more wrong with it than respawning outposts, it was zero fun at all

Also you can pick your race AND gender for 5

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

Today I learned the average American does not believe in the First Amendment.

Until they need to spew their vitriol.

Quite the contrary, they believe the first amendment protects literally everything, including Sean Hannity from losing his TV show because sponsors don't want to support a guy harassing the family of a murder victim with debunked conspiracy theories

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

they're determined to never put the season pass / dlc on sale though so if that matters to you it's still a $50 game when it's on sale for $20. and most of that season pass dlc is stuff that are essentially paid mods, but far harbor was pretty cool

The season pass is $29 on Amazon right now

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Seedge posted:

The Season Pass was €30 at launch, until they decided it sold well enough to push it to €50.

They added more content to it than they originally planned but let you get the extra content as part of the $29 original price if you bought it before a certain date

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I know nothing about this game - is it the successor to the old style Mario Golf RPGs that it appears to be?

Everybody's Golf/Hot Shots Golf the franchise is 20 years old, it's been on every PlayStation console ever.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Madden is copying them this year

The story mode in FIFA this year was a neat addition but it was super linear

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Was checking around PSN sales and holy poo poo, can you really make money selling "theme packs" of lovely stock photos for $10?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

The crew is pretty cool if you ignore the terrible story and just treat it like a kind of an Outrun which takes place over the entire united states

I think it's like $20 for the complete edition during the sale now and there's definitely $20 worth of fun in it. People complained about "your car sucks unless you spend extra cash money" back when it first came out but I really don't think that's the case. You can beat the story (which IS terrible and should be ignored) without much rage and the open world is pretty cool.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Does a PS Plus auto renew count towards the spend 100 get 15 deal

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Rad Valtar posted:

I stick with Sony because they have way better first party. Ive never cared about Halo, Gears, etc.

I really miss Forza but only Forza and even if you throw in Horizon that's not enough to justify me buying another console and paying for another yearly service subscription.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so I loved the PS2 action platforming genre but even on sale for $8 I'm still holding off on Ratchet & Clank. I feel like it has to hit sub $5 this year.

You're going to wait god knows how long over like, four dollars? Unless you have a stack of games to play you should buy it, the game rules and you can easily get 2+ play throughs upgrading everything.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The soundtrack's quite possibly why it isn't a PS2 Classic. Aren't a lot of those tracks licensed individually or something?

Really? Even though they were clearly written for the game?

Even if they never make another game, another album would be great. It's impossible to not be happy listening to say, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwmDUVxBxA0

Macarius Wrench posted:

Hey man, Toy Story was pretty great

Actually though I need to go back and replay that one, I remember it being one of my favourite Mega Drive games

It's pretty mind-blowing to remember that Toy Story had a Genesis licensed game. It's like "Bartolo Colon played for the Expos" or something.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I'd be pissed if I was playing it at launch, bought into hype and dropped $60, but playing Andromeda right now from Gamefly, after having dropped the series entirely since beating 3 the month it came out, just has me thinking "yep this sure is a mass effect game" and mostly liking it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I love Blu-Rays and physical media. I buy Criterions all the time. It's a sickness.

Everyone was all "haha gently caress you Blockbuster" when they went out of business and now good luck watching a goddamn movie unless it came out like a couple months ago and is at Red Box. The selection of stuff to stream from Netflix, Amazon Prime, cable on-demand, etc. is so lovely. You better believe if it's something I want to see more than once I'm buying a real copy of it. Almost everything comes with a code for digital this days anyway.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I bought the official Microsoft Wheel for Forza 2 and all it did was make the game harder so I returned it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yeah should be easy to do. But instead of dropping $70 on a hard drive I just sold my PS4 bought a Pro instead :shrug:

Might make more sense to do that if you have the money. Not that it's hard to swap drives or anything

You don't even have to take it apart any more, the system supports simply plugging in another hard drive to the USB port now