Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This Vice City run is supremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The DKC relay was cool as hell, after three games all three teams were separated by only, what, two minutes? That's nuts.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

TeaJay posted:

All right, here's my updated list of recommendations - there's still a lot of good ones I haven't seen though.

- Ocarina of Time 3D - crazy glitches, very good commentary
- Shovel Knight - really tight race, also great commentary
- Mega Man - same here, very good race
- Hitman : Blood money - good couch, fun glitches
- Kalimba - crazy skill involved, runner playing co-op by himself, effectively controlling 4 characters at the same time
- New Super Hook Girl - lots of skill, fast pace, short game

- Salt & Sanctuary - at least catch the Any Unicorn% which takes just a few minutes, it's hilarious
- Blaster Master - great race with a surprise, all-star couch commentary
- Ninja Gaiden 1 & 3 Pacifist - Even harder than the real thing
- Jazz Jackrabbit - It had good commentary, great nostalgic feel
- Road Trip Adventure - this game is broken and funny, great runner
- Super Metroid Rotation - for obvious reasons

- Super Mario Bros. block - great races, great BigJon
- Final Fantasy: it's 4 hours, don't let it scare you. Feasel, Gyre and Puwexil. Great commentary, really tense moments. Put it on and let those guys' knowledge fill you up.
- Kabuki Quantum Fighter - inspirational stories and awesome speedrunning
- Castlevania : Rondo of Blood - Dracula is defeated by anime
- The entirety of the Awful Block (starts from Batman Forever)
- Bleed - Studio running and has the dev on the couch
- Snailiad - It's Metroid with snails.
- Woolfe: Red Hood diaries: nice little run with great execution
- Duck Tales - literally the closest race I've ever seen
- Metal Slug 3 - c'mon, it's Metal Slug! And the runner makes it look easy.
- SMB Lost Levels 2players 1 controller with BigJon & AndrewG - top contender for best run of AGDQ 2017
- TASbot block

(might update later when I see more)

This is a great list but I must also throw in for Vice City (excellent commentary on top of an excellent run) and DOOM (funny tricks, it's DOOM). Pac-Man World and Crash Bandicoot 2 were really solidly executed runs too. And Turok was great as well because of the runner :3:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I just went and watched New Super Hook Girl... holy poo poo :stare:

You can just tell by looking at it how hard and technical that run must be.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mario 3D Land is a pretty good run too. The commentary isn't the best, but it is Mario so you don't need a ton of commentary, and the game is actually really fast and technical and has a lot of super scary jumps.

I kind of wish 3D World would make another appearance at a GDQ but this is a solid run.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's really saying something that a sideways romhack of Super Metroid ended up being a more interesting run than a big race between the best runners in the SM community, but there you go.

There were a ton of really amazing and excellent races this GDQ, and the SUPER E-SPORTS EDITION of the SM race from a couple years back set the bar extremely high for further races... If SM can raise $800k in its own right, they really have to step up their poo poo to make it worthwhile.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Forer posted:

Dude seemed like a huge rear end in a top hat in the video so I intentionally skipped his run.

He was a pretty normal guy at AGDQ, it's a good run.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
In the Necrodancer GDQ run the commentator explicitly said screen-looking was a valid and accepted strategy for pretty much that reason: once you fall behind it's basically the only way to keep you in the race. And Necrodancer runs are, what, six minutes long? So you don't exactly have a lot of time to regain lost ground.

It seems kind of dumb until you realize that nobody whatsoever enjoys races where the first person to make a mistake loses.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 16, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

mandatory lesbian posted:

now having said that, let me tell you why big jon should run nes golf at sgdq

that's different, big jon is likable, unlike anyone that plays binding of isaac

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm surprised no one in the audience went and kicked that guys rear end for telling them all to kill themselves, really.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Kinda? There's some dudes in there that take care of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Eh I wasn't really envisioning someone going up and knocking him out right there, but I take your point anyway. Just the idea of someone taking the mic and deliberately bad-vibesing the room during a charity event for cancer is pretty crappy though.

• Locked thread