Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Your neighborhood lover of PUZZLES and PURE NONSENSE!

Hello! Welcome to Section-Z and Friends?

When I was a kid, I remember renting a game on the NES called Section-Z mainly because I really liked listening to the title music. However, when I was done listening to the music and actually played the game, I found that the game was pretty neat and had some really nice mechanics. When I was older and had access to the internet/MAME, I found out that it was actually a port of an arcade game and the first of a loosely tied trilogy of games involving heroes with jetpacks. I also found other games which seems to have taken an influence from Section-Z which also are worth looking at. So, let's get to playing.

GAMES THAT I WILL BE LOOKING AT (Videos links edited in as they are made)
  • Section-Z (NES/FDS)
  • Section-Z (Arcade)
    • Full Play
  • Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (Arcade)
    • Quick Look
    • Side Arms Special (PC Engine CD) - Before Christ
  • Forgotten Worlds (Arcade)
    • Quick Look
  • Abadox: The Deadly Inner War (NES)
    • Quick Look
  • Final Mission/S.C.A.T (NES)
    • S.C.A.T - Special Cybernetic Attack Team
    • Final Mission
  • Legendary Wings (NES)
    • Part 1
    • Part 2
  • Legendary Wings (Arcade)
    • Full Play

Why are you only doing "Quick Look" for some games and "Full Plays" for others?
Preference. It's about how much I like playing the game and what I feel would be interesting. For example, Side Arms is kind of long and honestly a bit samey so I don't know if I'll be playing through the whole game. I don't really care for Forgotten Worlds or Abodox so I'll just be taking brief looks at those and I very little experience with Final Mission.

Wait...why is Legendary Wings on there?
Because I like it and it has some side-scrolling flying sections that kind of remind me of Section-Z.

So you are super good at these games right since you played them a bunch?
Nope. Expect blunders and bad gameplay every once in a while. I'm not going to be abusing save states or anything like that, but I will use easy difficulty selections if they give me the option.

Hey, game X should totally be on that list!
If you think I should take a look at a certain game, let me know and I'll consider it if I feel it fits. The only game I'm straight out avoiding is Omega Five as I don't own it and from what I remember from the demo, it plays like rear end.

Also, this is my first video LP in a while so there might be some roughness around the edges. I'm also notoriously bad with audio balance so if you hear anything off, let me know.

Thanks for stopping by!

Lolo De Puzlo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
The branching seems really confusing, but otherwise it looks like a nice game. Kind of feels like a Metroid shmup in tone and design.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Why is S.C.A.T. such an attractive acronym for game developers? It appears in this but also in Winback, which is already two places too many.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

Why is S.C.A.T. such an attractive acronym for game developers? It appears in this but also in Winback, which is already two places too many.

Localizers who don't have the internet to check out acronyms are a bad idea?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
That is a list of cool games, though I never played the arcade versions or Sidearms.

Considering something that is (apparently?) the only way to eventually finish the game according to emulator replays with a map, I suspect when I eventually beat Section-Z on my physical NES it was purely on accident.

Of no surprise, it still left an impression on me. (Oh my loving god, it was made intending I could save!? :qq: )

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Section Z posted:

Considering something that is (apparently?) the only way to eventually finish the game according to emulator replays with a map, I suspect when I eventually beat Section-Z on my physical NES it was purely on accident.

Oh yeah, we'll get to that when it comes up

Section Z posted:

(Oh my loving god, it was made intending I could save!? :qq: )

Pretty much my reaction when I found that out as well :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Update time!

Area 2 (Sections 20-39)

Welcome to Area 2! It's time for trivia, death, save states, death, and stories.

• Locked thread