Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
you can't delete polls lmao
This poll is closed.
can't be done 4 57.14%
i don't have the option 3 42.86%
Total: 7 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't had a gaming PC since I kicked WoW the last time in 2011. I'm planning to build one with my tax money and there are a few things I'm way behind on and I thought we could use a general PC hardware/accessories thread.

I want to be able to play and stream new games in high quality, basically make everything look and play as well as possible without pushing for 4K or whatever the super extrene is now. I found what I think are a few good templates but I was wondering if:
A is SLI worth it? The commentary on several of these templates says they don't bother with SLI because not all games can even use it and one beefy card is plenty

B how important is the number of processor cores. The streaming guide I'm reading says you want to be able to dedicate 2 cores (I think?) to just encoding to keep your stream reliably smooth.

C will I end up getting a better deal if I build a package PC or start soemthing basic and buy parts as I go. I can handle assembly but I've never installed a processor before and that seems kind of intimidating

D Can I use my DS4 to play games dependably (I know you need a third party program) or am I better off just getting a fancy bone controlller

E aside from input delays are there any other important things to look for in a monitor or is it mostly a matter of preference

I'll probably think of some more poo poo to ask later but for now let's talk about the best way to game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Installing the processor is quite literally the easiest step of building the PC besides pulling the case out of the box. Cheers.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

building a PC is pretty idiot proof i wouldnt worry 2 much about it OP, but you don't really save a whole lot these days buying all the parts separately. with my current computer i spared myself any headaches and just bought a gaming tower off newegg for a really good price

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna get laughed at for this one but is XP at all viable anymore? I really haven't liked a windows release since

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I'm gonna get laughed at for this one but is XP at all viable anymore? I really haven't liked a windows release since

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Installing the processor is quite literally the easiest step of building the PC besides pulling the case out of the box. Cheers.

That's a relief

Bobnumerotres posted:

building a PC is pretty idiot proof i wouldnt worry 2 much about it OP, but you don't really save a whole lot these days buying all the parts separately. with my current computer i spared myself any headaches and just bought a gaming tower off newegg for a really good price

My only concern is my last gaming PC I ordered from iBuyPower in uh... 2009? And I had to send it back twice because things didn't work or weren't installed properly. It was a headache for like two months

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

*looks at the calendar*

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Wormskull posted:

*looks at the calendar*

ok. ok.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
putting dumb polls on your threads makes them worse OP

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

rediscover posted:

putting dumb polls on your threads makes them worse OP

i cant bring myself to read the first post at all

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Don't do polle dude. Dont write that poo poo in them.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

That's a relief

My only concern is my last gaming PC I ordered from iBuyPower in uh... 2009? And I had to send it back twice because things didn't work or weren't installed properly. It was a headache for like two months

ibuypower famously make garbage pcs that fail instantly out of the box. a big csgo tournament got pcs provided by them once and during every game someones computer would just completely fail and have to be replaced

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bacon_Donut swears by them.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Wormskull posted:

Yeah right... Bet there paying him to say that if you ask me

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Wormskull posted:

according to a reddit post from 2 years ago i just found, the tournament im thinking of the pcs had a 40% failure rate

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

trying to jack off posted:

according to a reddit post from 2 years ago i just found, the tournament im thinking of the pcs had a 40% failure rate

yeah, but nobody talks about the 60% of systems that worked

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The number of cores doesn't matter because 99% of all programs but especially games don't actually use more than 1 core. So you just get one with good clock speed and stop worrying

An SSD makes your games load way faster but they wear out really fast compared to a regular HDD

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Will one of the mods just delete the poll please

ibuypower famously make garbage pcs that fail instantly out of the box. a big csgo tournament got pcs provided by them once and during every game someones computer would just completely fail and have to be replaced

I would never buy anything from them again

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the PC I have is an i buy power thing because a friend recommended it to me and I didn't want to put it together myself. Anyway it has a bunch of obscure hardware problems so I would have been better off just buying a shitbox Dell and putting some better parts in it, and probably would have been cheaper in the long run

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also for some reason the SATA cables are threaded through conduits that are impossible to get to without removing the motherboard and taking a panel off the inside of the case

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Also for some reason the SATA cables are threaded through conduits that are impossible to get to without removing the motherboard and taking a panel off the inside of the case

Two months after the first return I discovered my SLI wasn't working and the seconds card was just sitting there doing nothing. When I called for support they informed me they had been out of the exact motherboard I ordered and instead used one that didn't support SLI. And never bothered to tell me

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

The number of cores doesn't matter because 99% of all programs but especially games don't actually use more than 1 core. So you just get one with good clock speed and stop worrying

An SSD makes your games load way faster but they wear out really fast compared to a regular HDD

actually modern ssds with normal use will theoretically last your entire life

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

actually modern ssds with normal use will theoretically last your entire life

I'm probably the only gamer in the world who's worried about this because i still use the 100GB drive that came with my first computer

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

So I should have an SSD for running games and the OS and a regular HD for long term storage?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

So I should have an SSD for running games and the OS and a regular HD for long term storage?

yes but not for the reason larry is talking about because its just a lie

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

you get a big mechanical drive because theyre cheap and you can get 4tb for half the price of a 1tb ssd

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

you gotta make sure your gigaflops match up with your mega bites.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

yes but not for the reason larry is talking about because its just a lie

The cake is a lie. (only true gamers will understand this.)

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm probably the only gamer in the world who's worried about this because i still use the 100GB drive that came with my first computer

i think my first computer had a 250mb hard drive

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

The cake is a lie. (only true gamers will understand this.)

pc gaming is about talking about the hardware

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

my fan on this PC broke immediately and it had 5* reviews from everyone lmao. thankfully it was a 10$ fix. but you'll probably be fine if you get a non-poo poo brand

lmao thats awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

pc gaming is about talking about the hardware

My rig is sooooo loving sick dude...gets 120fps on everything. Well theoretically, all I do is idle my games for steam cards and sell the emotes for 15 cents a pop.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
what was the poll? someone tell me plaease.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bill Barber posted:

what was the poll? someone tell me plaease.

It was four quotes from game developers you didn't miss anything

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

My rig is sooooo loving sick dude...gets 120fps on everything. Well theoretically, all I do is idle my games for steam cards and sell the emotes for 15 cents a pop.

Wtf is a steam card

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Wtf is a steam card

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wtf is a steam card

PC Gaming is gonna blow your mind dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]
just pay the fee and have them build your computer for you who gives a gently caress !

• Locked thread