Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
you can't delete polls lmao
This poll is closed.
can't be done 4 57.14%
i don't have the option 3 42.86%
Total: 7 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't had a gaming PC since I kicked WoW the last time in 2011. I'm planning to build one with my tax money and there are a few things I'm way behind on and I thought we could use a general PC hardware/accessories thread.

I want to be able to play and stream new games in high quality, basically make everything look and play as well as possible without pushing for 4K or whatever the super extrene is now. I found what I think are a few good templates but I was wondering if:
A is SLI worth it? The commentary on several of these templates says they don't bother with SLI because not all games can even use it and one beefy card is plenty

B how important is the number of processor cores. The streaming guide I'm reading says you want to be able to dedicate 2 cores (I think?) to just encoding to keep your stream reliably smooth.

C will I end up getting a better deal if I build a package PC or start soemthing basic and buy parts as I go. I can handle assembly but I've never installed a processor before and that seems kind of intimidating

D Can I use my DS4 to play games dependably (I know you need a third party program) or am I better off just getting a fancy bone controlller

E aside from input delays are there any other important things to look for in a monitor or is it mostly a matter of preference

I'll probably think of some more poo poo to ask later but for now let's talk about the best way to game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna get laughed at for this one but is XP at all viable anymore? I really haven't liked a windows release since

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Installing the processor is quite literally the easiest step of building the PC besides pulling the case out of the box. Cheers.

That's a relief

Bobnumerotres posted:

building a PC is pretty idiot proof i wouldnt worry 2 much about it OP, but you don't really save a whole lot these days buying all the parts separately. with my current computer i spared myself any headaches and just bought a gaming tower off newegg for a really good price

My only concern is my last gaming PC I ordered from iBuyPower in uh... 2009? And I had to send it back twice because things didn't work or weren't installed properly. It was a headache for like two months

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Wormskull posted:

*looks at the calendar*

ok. ok.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Will one of the mods just delete the poll please

trying to jack off posted:

ibuypower famously make garbage pcs that fail instantly out of the box. a big csgo tournament got pcs provided by them once and during every game someones computer would just completely fail and have to be replaced

I would never buy anything from them again

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Also for some reason the SATA cables are threaded through conduits that are impossible to get to without removing the motherboard and taking a panel off the inside of the case

Two months after the first return I discovered my SLI wasn't working and the seconds card was just sitting there doing nothing. When I called for support they informed me they had been out of the exact motherboard I ordered and instead used one that didn't support SLI. And never bothered to tell me

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

The number of cores doesn't matter because 99% of all programs but especially games don't actually use more than 1 core. So you just get one with good clock speed and stop worrying

An SSD makes your games load way faster but they wear out really fast compared to a regular HDD

So I should have an SSD for running games and the OS and a regular HD for long term storage?

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Bill Barber posted:

what was the poll? someone tell me plaease.

It was four quotes from game developers you didn't miss anything

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

My rig is sooooo loving sick dude...gets 120fps on everything. Well theoretically, all I do is idle my games for steam cards and sell the emotes for 15 cents a pop.

Wtf is a steam card

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Terranaut posted:

If you're comfortable with Xbox controllers, you'll save yourself from an enormous pain in the rear end. I grew up PlayStation, so DualShocks are naturally my favorite controller, but getting multiple DS4s to work wireless without lag can be a real bitch

I grew up in the 90s controller cords are not something that bothers me

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I would do it for $25

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Of all the awesome, superior PC versions of my favorite games the thing I'm looking forward to the most is playing blighttown at an acceptable framerate

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah right like I wanna leave pimp zone to talk to some nerds

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I used to play on ultra high like you.......... then my PC took an arrow to the gpu 😂

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

CainsDescendant posted:

I got a 99$ refurb PC off of woot dot com because I'm a poor and so I play old as games and new ones that don't need graphics cards like rimworld and I feel like I'm in a weird ghetto between console gamers and PC gamers but that's ok because I don't really like high fidelity modern gaming experiences but I wish I could run new vegas because its fun and I like the mods it has available

Anyway do any of you guys play old rpgs like baldurs gate because those are some goodass games

Also GTA San Andreas runs perfectly on my PC and that's really surprising to me

Play these please:

Deus ex
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Fallout tactics
Icewind dale 2
Planescape torment

That's about a thousand hours for you op. I'm jealous

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

CainsDescendant posted:

Planescape Torment is one of my favorite games, I first played it when I was like 14 so the whole philosophy 101 vibe of a lot of the conversations blew my mind. I've played it a few times since then, it really held up for me but I'd love an updated version to recommend to people. IWD2 seems like I should like it but I keep getting bored with it by like the first dungeon outside of the starting town, lack of character interaction (even though bg's is pretty lame tbh) really drags it down for me

I've got the early fallouts in my steam library but I got fed up with the first one before I even got out of the first cave with the rats because I felt like my character sucked. Any tips for me? Or should I just suck it up and keep at it until it clicks

Never tried a deus ex, I'll pick it up when I can

The early part of fallout 1 is a struggle by design... You're stepping out into the real world for the first time with no idea what you're doing. ALso if you just made a lovely character that's just what first playthroughs are all about. Once the game get going its loving amazing

Deus Ex feels a little clunky these days but it's a masterpiece and I used to play it to completion 3-4 times a year.

IWD2 is intentionally lax on story and interaction because it's supposed to be all about the combat. If you love infinity engine combat it gets great later but if you really need the story stuff welp

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

I really like Infinity Engine games, but I've always been really bad at using the dudes abilities, so I always play a Paladin or a Wizard and try to solo everything. Unfortunately that's why I've had trouble getting in to the new Obsidian games like that because they don't let one class be strong enough to solo the game

Going from being a lowly Mage in Amn to wizard soloing the underdark on disc 3 is one of the most powerful gamer feelings

Edit if you watched Irenicus slaughter the thieves and magic police in the intro dungeon and didn't immediately want to restart as a wizard your brain is probably broken idk

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

That feel when you exist in the timeline where Deus ex' alternate story was never finished and Hideo kojimas last metal gear was Incomplete

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

You can beat fallout with 1 in every stat and no tag skills...

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

I like my gaming pc because when I turn it on the cats go sleep on it instead of my ps4 and then i can see the tv better.

Please don't let your cats sleep in dangerous places

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

if you get Deus Ex please also get it on steam with this mod to upgrade your graphics: http://store.steampowered.com/app/397550/

You don't need this poo poo to play deus ex

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

If I tried to play deus ex with alterations to the maps I think my brain would seize up and my eyeballs would twitch

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

*me, reading this story in front of eidos Montreal HQ behind dark sunglasses*: I'll take the GEP gun.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Human Revolution was pretty cool and I've been insanely disappointed by everything the developers have done and said since its release

HR was really great and I played it 10+ times but I have 0 motivation to replay the new one. The new thief was done by the Montreal B team and it was pretty lousy.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

frank.club posted:

it's weird seeing dark souls run well lol

I just built mine and I can't wait to play it but I seem to have developed a crippling WoW addiction again please send help

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Update: I purchased Quake Live and EYE: Divine Cybermancy and I have not seen the outside world in two days

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

EYE is really cool so far. its sort of janky and I have no clue what im doing with most of the sub menu/hacking/character building stuff but im enjoying stumbling through it

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I'd be down for some Quake whenever, i hop on randomly even though I'm awful at it

im really bad at it but holy poo poo did i miss lightning fast deathmatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Idk what were supposed to do with that pic op

• Locked thread