Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Reading this thread made me realize 2006 was the first year I tried to actually get into anime (outside of a small handful of older shows and some really good movies by Hayao Miyazaki). .hack, Fate/Stay Night and Jigoku Shoujo were what my friends used to try and get me into it.

I wonder if thats the reason it took me until last year to actually come back and give this stuff a second chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
2006 was a good year.

e: :regd06:

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 17, 2017

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

What the heck is that supposed to be?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - It's incredible

2. Akagi - intense mahjong show with great dramatic effects

3. Yakitate!! Japan - cool cooking show

4. Aria The Natural - very pretty slice of life with great music. I liked the first season more though.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Good:
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Actually rewatched this fairly recently (as well as season 2 and the movie) and it's exactly as good as I remember.
Welcome to the NHK - あばばあばばあばば踊る赤ちゃん人間
Eureka Seven - I also completely understand where people who don't like this are coming from, parts of it were kind of a slog to get through, otoh I really feel that it paid off.
Capeta - Was big into motosports back then so the subject matter appealed to me. I enjoyed it but I can't be totally sure it was any good to be honest.
School Rumble 2nd Semester - I remember liking it well enough at the time... I think? I imagine it would be kind of dull to watch now.

Bad:
Fate/stay night - I long knew this was bad but I kind of wanted to compare it to the later adaptions and the VN and yep, it is really poor. Having extremely low expectations somehow helped make it bearable enough that I could finish it. Not sure that I learned anything useful from the experience.

Back then if the first episode of something turned me off I generally didn't continue so that is the only bad show I can list comfortably.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Linnaeus posted:

What the heck is that supposed to be?

There used to be a thing where people would make emotes to represent their registration date:

:regd04:
:regd05:
:regd06:
:regd07:
:regd08:
:regd09:
:regd10:
:regd11:

After 2008 it just became silly puns and people stopped dropping $30 on dumb emotes nobody ever used by 2012 or so. Well, they still did, but it was on other dumb emotes nobody ever uses except to demonstrate that nobody uses them, like :legion:,:grovertoot:, and my personal favorite, :crossange:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Out of that whole list, I've only watched two and I liked them both:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Seems like one of those series you've heard something about if you're into anime at all. The show has a lot of fun exploring the relationships between all these quirky characters. I just wish they had properly continued the show beyond Endless Eight. At least the movie was fantastic.

Black Lagoon -

Also, I've tried to get into Eureka Seven countless times but I just can't seem to hold interest past the first few episodes. :shrug:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Best:

1. Honey and Clover 2 - Not a very memorable end but I still miss the story and drama the series gave to this day.

2. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Everyone was watching it and it did some amazing things. Too bad you have to learn everything else via light novels which is too :effort: Also Endless Eight kinda just killed a lot of interest.

3. Ouran High School Host Club - This was probably #1 for me back then, but it makes me cringe a little when I rewatch it.

4. Yakitate!! Japan - Fun cooking anime but it gets out of control when they stop making believable food or when actual plot is based on gag reactions. Time-travel, really?

5. Air Gear - Now THIS had some dope music and cool style. Too bad it never got another season.

Worst:

3. Inukami! - I have no idea why I watched this.

2. Zero no Tsukaima - Garbage rear end S&M anime that started off as a fun time-travel fantasy anime.

1. Eureka Seven - Biggest fakeout series. I didn't understand that many people loved it because they all internally resonated with being verbally abused during their childhood and related to Renton as he gets his rear end handed to him by drunk daddy Holland for little to no reason.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mostly liked E7 because Renton/Eureka and Anemone/Dominic were cute couples and it had a great look/style and soundtrack, Holland was never really part of the equation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't like the bit where Holland threw rocks at Renton.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This sudden(?) upsurge in E7 hate makes me sad. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah its sudden resurgence as 'popular thing I hate' is pretty dumb. I blame them making a new AO OVA.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

There was nothing sudden about my E7 hate, tyvm. :colbert:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I don't dislike E7, but I felt pretty lukewarm on what I had seen (several episodes out of context on Adult Swim back in the 00s), and was mostly just bored. The later episodes did seem a lot more interesting, but the earlier episodes, while not bad, were bland to me, despite liking the visual elements.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first half of eureka seven has, like, three really slow building episodes immediately at the start that lead in to lots of great, fun character moments and concludes in one of the best arcs of the entire show with lots of really interesting character and world building for most of the cast

it kind of lost me after that but while e7 isn't perfect i don't really get the intense hatred of it, unless people were just that hard on selling the show at the time

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

People were, and still are, selling Eureka Seven as one of the greatest must-watch series.

For instance I still think Haruhi Suzumiya was a great series, but I wouldn't ever recommend it as a must-watch series because I don't think most normal people would enjoy the cutesy moe poo poo with Mikuru and Kyon's sister.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
I actually forgot most of Eureka Seven, but I do clearly remember it having probably one of the most heartwrenching moments in Anime for me, when Ray and Charles die. I dunno what it was in particular that made it so heart wrenching, my best guess is a mix of me not being that hardcore into anime at the time (I didn't go to my first anime convention until 08), and how well they got me emotionally invested before burning everything to the ground.

EDIT: Spoilered out a bit in case someone plans to watch E7

Kibibit fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 19, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I really like a lot of E7's themes and ideas, and I've tried to watch it several times, but I always wind up bouncing off. The art, the mech designs, the characters - I get the appeal of all of it, but it just never came together for me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Willsun posted:

People were, and still are, selling Eureka Seven as one of the greatest must-watch series.

For instance I still think Haruhi Suzumiya was a great series, but I wouldn't ever recommend it as a must-watch series because I don't think most normal people would enjoy the cutesy moe poo poo with Mikuru and Kyon's sister.

i mean. i could see people not liking the stuff with mikuru. but... kyon's sister is a really small part of the show and doesn't get any weird scenes???

also i don't really see all that many people trying to sell eureka seven that hard around here these days, it's mostly just a few people who just really like eureka seven

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 19, 2017

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The Colonel posted:

also i don't really see all that many people trying to sell eureka seven that hard around here these days, it's mostly just a few people who just really like eureka seven

The spooky ghost of Zorak dies hard.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The cutesy stuff in Haruhi isn't the problem, the problem is that for every funny or sweet or melancholy moment there's a "TEE HEE SEXUAL HARASSMENT IS HILARIOUS" moment to break it up, which gets even weirder when half the time Mikuru is characterized like she's mentally slow and not just ditzy.

There are individual episodes in Haruhi that are classics but the whole production is less than the sum of its parts.

(And the movie is spectacular but that probably doesn't count as 2006 anime.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kibibit posted:

EDIT: Spoilered out a bit in case someone plans to watch E7

Thank you!

Regarding Haruhi, on the surface it looks like Bakemonogatari without any wit or supernatural elements, and I'm just...not interested in moe stuff or sexual harassment, so I keep skipping it despite what feels like everyone in ADTRW lauding it as the best anime ever, or something. Could someone tell me I'm wrong and convince me to watch it? (Or not, that's cool too, my backlog is ridiculously long.)

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thank you!

Regarding Haruhi, on the surface it looks like Bakemonogatari without any wit or supernatural elements, and I'm just...not interested in moe stuff or sexual harassment, so I keep skipping it despite what feels like everyone in ADTRW lauding it as the best anime ever, or something. Could someone tell me I'm wrong and convince me to watch it? (Or not, that's cool too, my backlog is ridiculously long.)

it's not just adtrw, it's widely regarded as a really good anime, even if not everyone considers it their favorite like i do. it's definitely not devoid of wit. it's only thirteen episodes for season one, why don't you give it a shot and drop it if it actually bores you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thank you!

it's not really quite the same as monogatari. it's mostly a fun weird adventure thing with really good directing, the majority of it is short stories that explore the cast more. the only "plot arcs" in the series are either cut up into bits and revisited across the series like season 1, or mostly consist of pretty normal character drama in season 2

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

it's not just adtrw, it's widely regarded as a really good anime, even if not everyone considers it their favorite like i do. it's definitely not devoid of wit. it's only thirteen episodes for season one, why don't you give it a shot and drop it if it actually bores you

Fair, I'll give it the three ep test tonight.

The Colonel posted:

it's not really quite the same as monogatari. it's mostly a fun weird adventure thing with really good directing, the majority of it is short stories that explore the cast more. the only "plot arcs" in the series are either cut up into bits and revisited across the series like season 1, or mostly consist of pretty normal character drama in season 2

Hmmm, that's more enticing - mostly for the good direction.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

VostokProgram posted:

It's 14 eps you faker.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fair, I'll give it the three ep test tonight.

Hmmm, that's more enticing - mostly for the good direction.

please watch it in broadcast order, and give it four episodes instead of three. trust me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
remember to watch in broadcast order (episode 25 first, followed by episode 1 and 2, and then episode 7 for the first four episodes) because the episode orders have been rearranged ever since season 2 and it kind of fucks with s1's structure

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's chock full of both wit and supernatural elements, it's the first thing i ever saw fansubs of (as opposed to buying or renting stuff) and i was hooked from the beginning.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

It's 14 eps you faker.

what's one lost episode when entire asteroids can go missing

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Colonel posted:

remember to watch in broadcast order (episode 25 first, followed by episode 1 and 2, and then episode 7 for the first four episodes) because the episode orders have been rearranged ever since season 2 and it kind of fucks with s1's structure

I was deeply bored by ep 25 to the point of just skimming it, and ep 1 is no better. Should I press on? Does the story radically change into something interesting?

I might press on tomorrow either way once I've had a full night's sleep, but right now it just seems....boring. Like CLANNAD. I promise I'm trying to approach it with an open mind! It's just...the high school, the flat writing, the generic main character, the way the titular Haruhi character is unappealingly energetic... I might just be the opposite of a target audience, here. Which isn't to say it's bad, I'm just...not...seeing the appeal?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Well, you kind of decided that before watching, no? And if you can't be bothered to give the very first episode a complete viewing, yeah, best to just quit and move on.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The cutesy stuff in Haruhi isn't the problem, the problem is that for every funny or sweet or melancholy moment there's a "TEE HEE SEXUAL HARASSMENT IS HILARIOUS" moment to break it up, which gets even weirder when half the time Mikuru is characterized like she's mentally slow and not just ditzy.

Yeah this is a better way to sum up what I meant by moe crap. To people who don't watch anime regularly, it's the kind of stuff that has to be explained away like "haha it's just funny because see it's just comedy and uh haha she's sexy but Haruhi's trying to show her off in a funny way haha uh haha she's just crying and squealing no but she understands it's all in good fun haha it's just a little otaku humor haha."

In the spirit of the thread, I guess that's the stuff I grew out of being able to tolerate anymore since 2006.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Y'all are really weird about the baps

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was deeply bored by ep 25 to the point of just skimming it, and ep 1 is no better. Should I press on? Does the story radically change into something interesting?

I might press on tomorrow either way once I've had a full night's sleep, but right now it just seems....boring. Like CLANNAD. I promise I'm trying to approach it with an open mind! It's just...the high school, the flat writing, the generic main character, the way the titular Haruhi character is unappealingly energetic... I might just be the opposite of a target audience, here. Which isn't to say it's bad, I'm just...not...seeing the appeal?

Haruhi is another series that did the "two first episodes" thing well. And by well I mean it was a beautiful troll on people who only liked one of the two. Both are full of nuance beyond just the "snore high school yawn energetic main girl" meta concepts, which lead to the show's core philosophical examinations. Skimming the terrible high school movie project episode is a disservice, because that episode is absolutely hilarious for anyone who ever tried putting together an amateur film project for school, but if you're not even buying the "normal" first episode then yea, show's probably not for you.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I feel like Kyon's "sarcastic internal monologue-ing viewpoint character" gimmick has been copied enough times by now that if you're coming to it after mostly watching more modern anime it probably feels pretty stale. Kind of a shame, because if I recall it was a pretty novel choice at the time.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Willsun posted:

Yeah this is a better way to sum up what I meant by moe crap. To people who don't watch anime regularly, it's the kind of stuff that has to be explained away like "haha it's just funny because see it's just comedy and uh haha she's sexy but Haruhi's trying to show her off in a funny way haha uh haha she's just crying and squealing no but she understands it's all in good fun haha it's just a little otaku humor haha."

In the spirit of the thread, I guess that's the stuff I grew out of being able to tolerate anymore since 2006.
Even as a teenager I knew that poo poo wasn't okay. If anything, I'm afraid n years of anime since then might have desensitised me to it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

z0glin Warchief posted:

I feel like Kyon's "sarcastic internal monologue-ing viewpoint character" gimmick has been copied enough times by now that if you're coming to it after mostly watching more modern anime it probably feels pretty stale. Kind of a shame, because if I recall it was a pretty novel choice at the time.

I still like the particular way Kyon handles it, enough that I think that even to someone in that situation they'll still enjoy it to some degree. But overall yeah it has been copied to hell in back with plenty of results that were significantly worse. Ah well.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
While the broadcast order is better, starting Haruhi with The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 is very rough when you go in not knowing what to expect, and it actually put me off of watching the show for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Triggerhappypilot posted:

There used to be a thing where people would make emotes to represent their registration date:

:regd04:
:regd05:
:regd06:
:regd07:
:regd08:
:regd09:
:regd10:
:regd11:

After 2008 it just became silly puns and people stopped dropping $30 on dumb emotes nobody ever used by 2012 or so. Well, they still did, but it was on other dumb emotes nobody ever uses except to demonstrate that nobody uses them, like :legion:,:grovertoot:, and my personal favorite, :crossange:

Basically this.

• Locked thread