Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

AnacondaHL posted:

So guess what? My opinion is that the show sucks! Main character sucks a big suck, story sucks, main girl mostly sucked, the couple (names forgotten) were the best characters albeit in a minor role, and this show especially sucks for having such loving awesome music tied to it while sucking so hard. Also :lol: at AO, your sucky series deserved its sucky sequel!

I felt the same, although I only picked it up in 2008 when I had time to watch and curiosity was getting the better of me. Everyone swore up and down it was good and how "the character development is so good!" but the whole time it was just everyone yelling at each other and being sullen like it was a horrible family roadtrip from hell. And then it ends with something something merge existence destroy humanity but teen with gundam saves the day.

Also iirc wasn't Eureka gone for like half of the anime? I remember being interested in main boy and her's relationship but then she's kidnapped for the rest of the anime before anything happens and we're back to watching verbally abusive rear end in a top hat lead of the good guys yell at both main boy and slightly older girl who likes abusive leader for the rest of the series.

And the only other saving grace of the show, the whole counter-culture surfer feel, was threadbare. Surfing on trapers ended up being like something only Gekkostate ever did and even then, why would they do something so risky with giant military robots when the actual military is out there looking to kill them? The whole thing only ever seemed to serve as the lure to sucker main boy up to Gekkostate before he finds out leader guy just likes to tell people how much he hates everything. You don't ever see them surfing ever again and you don't really see anyone else in the rest of the world caring or buying their weird magazine that gets published somehow in the police state military government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Best:

1. Honey and Clover 2 - Not a very memorable end but I still miss the story and drama the series gave to this day.

2. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Everyone was watching it and it did some amazing things. Too bad you have to learn everything else via light novels which is too :effort: Also Endless Eight kinda just killed a lot of interest.

3. Ouran High School Host Club - This was probably #1 for me back then, but it makes me cringe a little when I rewatch it.

4. Yakitate!! Japan - Fun cooking anime but it gets out of control when they stop making believable food or when actual plot is based on gag reactions. Time-travel, really?

5. Air Gear - Now THIS had some dope music and cool style. Too bad it never got another season.

Worst:

3. Inukami! - I have no idea why I watched this.

2. Zero no Tsukaima - Garbage rear end S&M anime that started off as a fun time-travel fantasy anime.

1. Eureka Seven - Biggest fakeout series. I didn't understand that many people loved it because they all internally resonated with being verbally abused during their childhood and related to Renton as he gets his rear end handed to him by drunk daddy Holland for little to no reason.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

People were, and still are, selling Eureka Seven as one of the greatest must-watch series.

For instance I still think Haruhi Suzumiya was a great series, but I wouldn't ever recommend it as a must-watch series because I don't think most normal people would enjoy the cutesy moe poo poo with Mikuru and Kyon's sister.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The cutesy stuff in Haruhi isn't the problem, the problem is that for every funny or sweet or melancholy moment there's a "TEE HEE SEXUAL HARASSMENT IS HILARIOUS" moment to break it up, which gets even weirder when half the time Mikuru is characterized like she's mentally slow and not just ditzy.

Yeah this is a better way to sum up what I meant by moe crap. To people who don't watch anime regularly, it's the kind of stuff that has to be explained away like "haha it's just funny because see it's just comedy and uh haha she's sexy but Haruhi's trying to show her off in a funny way haha uh haha she's just crying and squealing no but she understands it's all in good fun haha it's just a little otaku humor haha."

In the spirit of the thread, I guess that's the stuff I grew out of being able to tolerate anymore since 2006.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Has anyone read Honey and Clover and does the story end where the anime ends? I mean, I'm not sure I want to continue with the story after the professor Shuji claims he's in love with his cousin Hagu, who he must be at least more than 15 years older, but I would love to read any material the anime didn't cover.

• Locked thread