Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
1. Kemonozume

The masterpiece of the greatest living anime director.

large gap

2. Eureka 7

Easily the best of the robot shows coasting on Evangelion's coattails, with the most interesting things to say in response.

3. Welcome to the NHK

As actual psychology, garbage. As a portrait of a deeply depressed self-loathing person, top-notch.

4. Mushishi

A good show I never finished because it's too bitter to watch more than 2-3 episodes at a time.

huge gap

5. insert whatever you want here, personally I defaulted to Black Lagoon but there's probably something i didn't see that deserves it more

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I guess this is also an acceptable thread to vent about how much I hate Blood+

because goddamn Blood+ is terrible, let's have a mournful eulogy for the psychotic monster who raped and killed your little brother and is indirectly responsible for the death of the rest of your family as well

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Not even F/SN fans like the anime, it's a dismal adaptation of the worst arc of a so-so VN.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i'm not a big fan of the second half of eureka seven but i think the first half is extremely good

this but the exact opposite

eureka seven takes like 10-12 episodes just to become watchable, it's just that it pays off in the long run

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Triggerhappypilot posted:

1. Eureka Seven
I get why people hate this show and I get why people love this show, but it's still probably my favorite anime of all time. If you just take the plot, it sounds like some loving third rate Evangelion (or even Star Wars) knockoff. However, Eureka Seven just does a lot of stuff really well; to this date I don't think there's a single anime series (that ive seen) that has done worldbuilding better than it, and both the animation (3rd OP excluded) and soundtrack are top notch. I get that it doesn't really go over well with jaded 20-or-30-somethings in the "Me irl" culture, but the optimism it puts forth without being too treacly about it is really nice. It's still a great series to watch and chill. Hell, I even liked the movie. Too bad that BONES decided to George Lucas it with AO, but then again, when has a BONES sequel ever been good?

People who talk about Eureka Seven being a "knockoff" of Evangelion are missing the forest for the trees. Like, Evangelion is about how terrifying the encounter with the Other can be, then concludes in EoE that no matter how terrifying it is to have the uncrossable gap between one person's experience and another's, it's still right to have it. It tells us to be hopeful even as it declines to actually portray a hopeful future.

Eureka Seven is the natural follow-up / response to that; it's a show about how you can come to recognize something like yourself in a stranger and be a better person as a result.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Now, Rah-Xephon on the other hand... :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

klapman posted:

rewatching NHK because I'm NEET as gently caress now and yeah it basically gets it. almost as savage as the Chaos;Head VN

Only almost? Maybe I should check that out...

I used to tell people that Welcome to the NHK was like Steins;Gate if it didn't pull its punches.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The cutesy stuff in Haruhi isn't the problem, the problem is that for every funny or sweet or melancholy moment there's a "TEE HEE SEXUAL HARASSMENT IS HILARIOUS" moment to break it up, which gets even weirder when half the time Mikuru is characterized like she's mentally slow and not just ditzy.

There are individual episodes in Haruhi that are classics but the whole production is less than the sum of its parts.

(And the movie is spectacular but that probably doesn't count as 2006 anime.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, they finally deleted :bakon:

e: wait, nope :fyh:

• Locked thread