Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

1. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu/The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Overhype and jokes aside, this series changed modern anime as we know it, got tons of new viewers around the world to follow anime, and is still discussed and referenced to this day. The original series caused hilarious confusion and exponentially growing hype, and was an enjoyable multi-media experience from music videos to fanart to danceoffs to you name it. Nothing comes close to providing the whole package like Haruhi did, oh not to mention how the animation tops even some top stuff coming out 10 years later. Bias Disclaimer: One of the first things I did for my now-wife was making her a Haruhi avatar, and our common interest in the series is what started our relationship.

2. Mushishi - Lost in the new wave modern anime hypetrain was this fantastic artistic series, where the happiest episodes could be gloomy and the saddest episodes so full of bright wonder. It's the ultimate "...drat." show, where you watch an episode in full, including the chillax OP song, then as the credits roll by you sit there in stunned disbelief, and all you can think is "...drat."

<insert Grand Canyon here>

3. Shakugan no Shana
4. Zero no Tsukaima/The Familiar of Zero - Unironically going to talk about both at the same time with the same applicable words. Back then these shows felt like a "fresh" take on the "dude gets transported to a fantasy world and meets Tsundere-as-gently caress heroine, action and drama and dumb-tropy-romcom ensue" genre. And the first seasons of both of these shows were generally enjoyable! I can't deny that this is my cognitive dissonance over the fact that I liked these shows. Shana gets my contractually obligated nod though since my wife owns an anime pillow with said character on it.

5. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/When They Cry - Credit for being one of the few to attempt to juxtapose the standard moe animation with a murder thriller mystery (at the time). The memes and references still endure today.

Honorable mentions:
Black Lagoon, Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage, Hachimitsu to Clover II/Honey and Clover 2, NHK ni Youkoso!/Welcome to the N.H.K. - Everything I hear about these shows screams that I would love them, I just haven't gotten around to them yet!

Dishonorable Mentions:
Ergo Proxy - I know some enjoyed this, but I remember it being pretentiously forgettable
Mai-Otome - I remember the ending song being catchy as gently caress, but I can't even remember the premise or characters.
Ouran High School Host Club - Beyond the first episode, the comedy just didn't click for me, and the relationships that developed were kinda insufferable.

-3. Fate/stay night- This series taught the world just how loud and insufferable VN fans could be. Also: CGI-dragon.bmp

-2. Rozen Maiden: Träumend - I can't remember if the series started parkour frontflipping the shark in the 2nd or 3rd season, but consider this my vote for that nonsense-desu.

-1: Eureka Seven - First things first, I really, REALLY love the soundtrack. I still get hype when I listen to those songs to this day.

Now, some background: I've lurked SA for like 8 years prior to registering, and used it's open access to follow the anime scene since catching up on TTGL after it aired. I noticed there was a HUGE bias towards Eureka Seven since it was the favorite of the longtime subforum mod, and so naturally I tried looking at it to see what was up. Episode after episode passes and aside from rocking out to the opening and ending every time I keep wondering what in the gently caress do people actually enjoy about this show? Sure, some of the surfing robot battles are cool, but is there even a character to like? A story to be engaged with? Anything? And back then it was absolutely impossible to negatively critique or question the Eureka Seven dogma. I finished all the episodes with glazed-eyes of boredom and confusion as to how not a single person ever voiced anything wrong with this show.

So guess what? My opinion is that the show sucks! Main character sucks a big suck, story sucks, main girl mostly sucked, the couple (names forgotten) were the best characters albeit in a minor role, and this show especially sucks for having such loving awesome music tied to it while sucking so hard. Also :lol: at AO, your sucky series deserved its sucky sequel!

Thanks for ruining my anime credibility, 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Higurashi taught anime fans that different knives had different names, so props for that.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

There was nothing sudden about my E7 hate, tyvm. :colbert:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I was deeply bored by ep 25 to the point of just skimming it, and ep 1 is no better. Should I press on? Does the story radically change into something interesting?

I might press on tomorrow either way once I've had a full night's sleep, but right now it just seems....boring. Like CLANNAD. I promise I'm trying to approach it with an open mind! It's just...the high school, the flat writing, the generic main character, the way the titular Haruhi character is unappealingly energetic... I might just be the opposite of a target audience, here. Which isn't to say it's bad, I'm just...not...seeing the appeal?

Haruhi is another series that did the "two first episodes" thing well. And by well I mean it was a beautiful troll on people who only liked one of the two. Both are full of nuance beyond just the "snore high school yawn energetic main girl" meta concepts, which lead to the show's core philosophical examinations. Skimming the terrible high school movie project episode is a disservice, because that episode is absolutely hilarious for anyone who ever tried putting together an amateur film project for school, but if you're not even buying the "normal" first episode then yea, show's probably not for you.

• Locked thread