Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
1.) Mushishi Requires no explanation.
2.) Honey & Clover S2 This one had a huge amount of emotional resonance for me, because I was having trouble with school and direction in life in the way the MC was and it was quite cathartic for me. I saw someone diss the ending, and I'd have to disagree on that one.
3.) Haruhi I don't think this needs an explanation either.
4.) Bartender One of the things I think anime & manga do really well that I don't see as much of in other mediums is a drive to share with the viewer or reader a deep passion about a specific thing. In this case it's the history of alcoholic beverages, used as a lens through which to view life's problems. Very mellow & contemplative, and not something you'd easily find anywhere else.
5.) Aria: The Natural Chill AF.

Other shows people should check out/I want to talk about :

Ayakashi: Purely on account of the final arc (it's Mononoke) and the stellar ED.
Ergo Proxy: Honestly kinda pretentious but I still love it and its OP.
Higurashi: Close to the apex of Deen QUALITY, and has problems as an adaptation, but still delivers some amazing performances.
Jigoku Shoujo
NHK
School Rumble S2 & Shuffle!: Romcoms where they don't tip their hand on who the final pairing is going to be by the end of the OP, and also ones where Best Girls win.
Simoun: The poster child for dedication to taking far-out premises and being willing to fully commit to them, even in ways that will seem strange to your viewers. On a recent rewatch I had to admit that the animation was garbage and whoever did the character designs has a forehead fetish, but I love the music, the rough-sketch backgrounds, the setting, and the straightforward presentation of ideas that will find some way to be offputting to just about everyone.

Worst: Eh, I don't really track this stuff in my memory and mostly just forget stuff. I guess Gunparade Orchestra for being an inferior and unrelated sequel to March, that I mostly recall because it was the first time I ran into a show whose subs just stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
While the broadcast order is better, starting Haruhi with The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 is very rough when you go in not knowing what to expect, and it actually put me off of watching the show for a long time.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Willsun posted:

Has anyone read Honey and Clover and does the story end where the anime ends? I mean, I'm not sure I want to continue with the story after the professor Shuji claims he's in love with his cousin Hagu, who he must be at least more than 15 years older, but I would love to read any material the anime didn't cover.

It's been a long time since I watched it, and I haven't read the manga, but my recollection of that situation is a bit different: He's not in love with Hagu, or going to marry her. She's fundamentally broken and needs someone to look after her and provide her with the right environment that will allow her to keep creating. He's the only person with the motivation, understanding, and resources to be able to pull that off. He's basically going to be the homecare version of the State Home for Manic Pixie Dream Girls.

• Locked thread