Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

1. Eureka Seven
I get why people hate this show and I get why people love this show, but it's still probably my favorite anime of all time. If you just take the plot, it sounds like some loving third rate Evangelion (or even Star Wars) knockoff. However, Eureka Seven just does a lot of stuff really well; to this date I don't think there's a single anime series (that ive seen) that has done worldbuilding better than it, and both the animation (3rd OP excluded) and soundtrack are top notch. I get that it doesn't really go over well with jaded 20-or-30-somethings in the "Me irl" culture, but the optimism it puts forth without being too treacly about it is really nice. It's still a great series to watch and chill. Hell, I even liked the movie. Too bad that BONES decided to George Lucas it with AO, but then again, when has a BONES sequel ever been good?

2. Black Lagoon
It's a fucken' ride. Despite not having much substance to it other than ultra-violence (that's tame in comparison to some 80's OVAs), there are few shows I've watched that consistently bring a smile to my face. I dunno what that says about me.

3. Haruhi
It's Haruhi. Had I watched it today, I probably wouldn't be so kind to it, but at the time, it was something new, something different, and something that got me to watch anime other than the Gundam-mecha-etc. shows. So congrats, Haruhi, you ruined my chances of ever being a successful normie. It also produced the Haruhi-banner fiasco on SA which is probably one of the funniest things to happen to the boards that wasn't Zybourne Clock.

4. Noein
I missed out on Noein the first time around and only saw last year, but it was still enjoyable. The quantum-mechanics psuedoscience babble kind of turned me off at first, but then i remembered that it was only a vehicle to drive the plot forward and got over my pet peeve with it. Noein had a really different art style, which is kind of nice breath of fresh air with how lazy character design has gotten without being too dated. If there's one thing I was let down by it would probably be Noein's true motives but you can tell by that late in the show the writing team was kinda grasping. I do wish that more episodes had been like the flashback episode, because that was really cool and was a lot more grounded than the rest of the series. Also, the Noein dub produced the funniest outtake Crispin Freeman has ever made.

5.Welcome to the NHK
I probably watched this a bit too early in life to empathize with the "No Job, No Money, No Social Skills" aspect of it, but it gets my vote simply for being one of the series that has managed to still be...is "Relevant" the right word to use here... after a decade. It's sort of like Crime and Punishment in that respect- I hated Dostoevsky's writing and execution of the novel but the message still somehow resonated with me. I tried rewatching it recently now that i'm in a sorta similar situation, but I just can't get through it without losing interest- partly because I already know what's gonna happen, but mostly because "wacky and/or depressing NEET antics" have been done to death in anime, and while NHK is particularly scathing in its treatment it's also not really new. Still, I remember it, which is more than I can say for something like 75% of the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

What the heck is that supposed to be?

There used to be a thing where people would make emotes to represent their registration date:

:regd04:
:regd05:
:regd06:
:regd07:
:regd08:
:regd09:
:regd10:
:regd11:

After 2008 it just became silly puns and people stopped dropping $30 on dumb emotes nobody ever used by 2012 or so. Well, they still did, but it was on other dumb emotes nobody ever uses except to demonstrate that nobody uses them, like :legion:,:grovertoot:, and my personal favorite, :crossange:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

also i don't really see all that many people trying to sell eureka seven that hard around here these days, it's mostly just a few people who just really like eureka seven

The spooky ghost of Zorak dies hard.

• Locked thread