Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Xinder posted:

now do one of these threads for 1996

1986 was a real epic year, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Major season two is missing from the list. I'm gonna be the only one to vote for it but I demand recognition!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gonna be fun to work on memory for most of these, with the exception of one I saw this year.

Best:

1) Kemonozume - The first Yuasa tv series might be his weakest but it's still cool as hell. Unique artstyle and while the story goes slightly off rails in the end, it's still an enjoyable ride with a weird but adult relationship.

Also here's the clip that lots of people saw back in the day, even if they didn't know what show it was from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Cqhu_BRPc

2) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Do I really need to go into detail over something that's so loved? It's good, watch it.

3) Major Season 2 I've been following anime seasons for over a decade at this point. Major was always something I saw on the season charts. It had a lot of seasons and OVAs and a movie, so it was really common to see it there. Last year I finally took the plunge and binged it.

Season 2 is unfortunately one of the weaker seasons. It's filled with a lot of shounen-y training, with the protagonist being forced to go through lots of unusual training regimens and partake in gimmick challenges (He's forced to play a game of baseball with only 4 players total!) Despite all those gimmicks it still remains engaging because at its core there's a lot of; this guy thinks he can hit Goro's fastball but whoaaaaa Goro threw the ball even faster!!!

And it never gets old. It really nails down the fundamentals of a shounen fighting series, but it's in baseball form. It becomes more grounded in later seasons but despite this being my least favorite season, I still had a blast. And at the end of the day, it's great that Major has a lot of variety in each of its seasons. It's how I was able to maintain all that momentum, watching episode after episode.

4) Mahjong Legend Akagi: The Genius Who Descended Into the Darkness - My first exposure to Fukumoto, and that man is great at building tension. I have only incredibly vague notions when it comes to playing mahjong. But that doesn't matter. Everything is framed in a way where, while of course knowing mahjong would make you appreciate the show a lot more, I did not find my lack of knowledge to impede my enjoyment. The ebb and flow of Akagi doing a move, his opponent thinking he's cornered Akagi and then it turns out Akagi was planning everything far in advance? It never gets old.

5) Honey and Clover 2 - When I watched it as it aired (yikes!) I remember being left down by the ending but after so many years beyond it, I think I'd appreciate it more. It wasn't as good as the first season but were it not for Tatami Galaxy existing I'd feel fine calling it the best college anime out there.

I wanna give an honorable mention to Inukami. I don't know if it aged well which is why it's not on my list but hell, it had a bunch of funny dick jokes.

Worst:

1) Shuffle - gently caress this show. Why did I watch this garbage, young me was so dumb.

2) Utawarerumono - It has some decent action early on but then it meanders and pulls out a bad plot twist in the final stretch that retroactively made everything worst.

3) Nerima Daikon Brothers - This isn't a horrible show per se but it's the type where it's so repetitive if you watch a few episodes you've basically seen them all. I highly recommend hitting up a few and then don't look back!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

no man, the honey and clover 2 ending is really bad

drat... I was hoping it was just my dumbass self feeling too idealistic at the time!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

z0glin Warchief posted:

I feel like Kyon's "sarcastic internal monologue-ing viewpoint character" gimmick has been copied enough times by now that if you're coming to it after mostly watching more modern anime it probably feels pretty stale. Kind of a shame, because if I recall it was a pretty novel choice at the time.

I still like the particular way Kyon handles it, enough that I think that even to someone in that situation they'll still enjoy it to some degree. But overall yeah it has been copied to hell in back with plenty of results that were significantly worse. Ah well.

• Locked thread