Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Best Anime

1. Simoun

One of my favorite anime for its nuanced look at its themes, it's optimistic tone, and, yes, the girls kissing. It's a little melodramatic at points, but on the whole it's a genuinely good and interesting look at the conflict of using religious artifacts in warfare, along with...gah, everything. It's just - it's interesting and I love it, and forgive its flaws. (Its flaws are the opening set of episodes being kind of slow to watch, but it's all worth it.) Also, shout-out to that amazing ending.

2. Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales - Specifically Bake Neko.
I cried. I sobbed. It's one of the best tragedies/horror stories I've ever seen, and it ruined the rest of Mononoke for me. Honestly it's probably best in overall quality than Simoun, but I don't dissect it the way I do Simoun so it takes a second ranking. Absolutely incredible, though.

.... And I don't have anything else for the best list! Mushihi or Eureka Seven should probably go here, but I haven't seen/finished them, so! I would like to shout out to Kyou kara Maou for being dumb fluffy fun, and .hack//roots for being one heck of an interesting flawed experience that I liked.

Worst Anime

1. Zatch Bell

gently caress the people who made this. gently caress my brother for loving it as only a younger brother can. gently caress it for being so ugly and unfunny and aaghghghgh so many annoyed memories associated with this one. May it rot in the pits of Anime Hell.

2. Higurashi no Naku something something
I tried the anime and visual novel, saw how highly recced they were, and....no. A lot of tedious slice of life nonsense juxtaposed with jarringly unpleasant horror sequences. I couldn't finish either, and of course there's no coherent plot summary on the internet anywhere so I can find out how it all ends. :mad:

3. Ergo Proxy
This is a real tentative entry, but I remember being real mad at it back in the day: cool sci-fi setting, interesting mystery, and then the main character left the city and the plot got real boring real fast. I suppose someday I'll come back to find out how it ends, but oh man, I was not thrilled with going from cyberpunk city to brown wasteland.

Runners-up: Night Head Genesis was so boring an interesting premise went to waste, Hell Girl for being so unpleasant, and Noein for being interesting but having a brand of drama that I couldn't stomach.

...So in the end, 2006 was a good year for anime, crimes against older sisters aside. What it lacked in the amount of anime it made up for in the sheer quality of what it had. And yes, yes, I know I need to see Ouran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

:getout:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kibibit posted:

EDIT: Spoilered out a bit in case someone plans to watch E7

Thank you!

Regarding Haruhi, on the surface it looks like Bakemonogatari without any wit or supernatural elements, and I'm just...not interested in moe stuff or sexual harassment, so I keep skipping it despite what feels like everyone in ADTRW lauding it as the best anime ever, or something. Could someone tell me I'm wrong and convince me to watch it? (Or not, that's cool too, my backlog is ridiculously long.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

it's not just adtrw, it's widely regarded as a really good anime, even if not everyone considers it their favorite like i do. it's definitely not devoid of wit. it's only thirteen episodes for season one, why don't you give it a shot and drop it if it actually bores you

Fair, I'll give it the three ep test tonight.

The Colonel posted:

it's not really quite the same as monogatari. it's mostly a fun weird adventure thing with really good directing, the majority of it is short stories that explore the cast more. the only "plot arcs" in the series are either cut up into bits and revisited across the series like season 1, or mostly consist of pretty normal character drama in season 2

Hmmm, that's more enticing - mostly for the good direction.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Colonel posted:

remember to watch in broadcast order (episode 25 first, followed by episode 1 and 2, and then episode 7 for the first four episodes) because the episode orders have been rearranged ever since season 2 and it kind of fucks with s1's structure

I was deeply bored by ep 25 to the point of just skimming it, and ep 1 is no better. Should I press on? Does the story radically change into something interesting?

I might press on tomorrow either way once I've had a full night's sleep, but right now it just seems....boring. Like CLANNAD. I promise I'm trying to approach it with an open mind! It's just...the high school, the flat writing, the generic main character, the way the titular Haruhi character is unappealingly energetic... I might just be the opposite of a target audience, here. Which isn't to say it's bad, I'm just...not...seeing the appeal?

• Locked thread