Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Our 2016 AotY thread ending reminded me of an idea I had last year: a retrospective AotY thread for a decade ago. In 10 years, a lot can change! For those of us who were watching anime in 2006, our opinions and tastes have probably changed, and some things just don't leave as strong an impression years on. For those of you newer to anime, you've probably only even heard of the stuff that's maintained some sort of presence in the collective fan consciousness. Either way, you should vote, and talk about your choices!

I'd like to go ahead and combine best and worst anime votes here, following more-or-less the same rules as our normal threads. Shows are eligible if their final episode aired on TV in Japan in 2006. For best:

dogsicle posted:

Rules:
- Pick up to 5 series from the list.
- Rank them if you want! I sure would appreciate people trying this, but it's optional.
- Write something about them!!!!!!!!
- Feel free to discuss picks, but don't be a prick about it.
and for worst:

Namtab posted:

The Rules
1.) Pick 3 titles from the list below that you have watched at least three episodes of
2.) Write about why the show was bad. Was it disappointing? Was it poorly animated?
3.) Discuss choices, but keep it civil. Someone disliking something you liked isn't the end of the world.
4.) Feel free to rank things 1-3 if you want, but the votes are unweighted.
5.) Feel free to give dishonourable mentions to other things that nearly made the list, but please differentiate these from your votes

I plan to compile both weighted and unweighted votes, so unless you want all your votes weighted equally, rank them! I'm not going to do Most Avoided, because that seems a little silly at this distance. Feel free to mention it if you care to!

In general, talk about the shows of yesterdecade! There's good stuff, there's bad stuff, there's forgetable stuff, and there's stuff that literally no one on MAL has rated. If that's a challenge, I'm not taking it up.

The list, sorted alphabetically, taken from MAL. I've tried to put the English name when one was provided, and I've tried to trim the Chinese and Korean shows that MAL's listing now for some reason. I may have missed a couple for both efforts. If you'd care to look at MAL's list, with its little thumbnails of each and a quick blurb, go for it. It also conveniently has a thing informing you if it's on one of your own lists.

e:list updated to actually include everything, hopefully!
code:
.hack//Roots
009-1
Aa! Megami-sama!: Sorezore no Tsubasa/Ah! My Goddess: Flights of Fancy
Air Gear
Akubi Girl
Amaenaide yo!! Katsu!!/Ah My Buddha Katsu
Angel Heart
Animal Yokochou/Animal Lane
Aria The Natural
Asatte no Houkou./Living for the Day After Tomorrow
Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales
Bakkyuu HIT! Crash Bedaman
Bartender
Beet the Vandel Buster Excellion
Binbou Shimai Monogatari/Poor Sisters Story
Binchou-tan
Black Blood Brothers
Black Cat
Black Jack (TV)
Black Jack 21
Black Lagoon
Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage
Blood+
Bokura ga Ita/We Were There
Canvas 2: Niji-iro no Sketch
Capeta
Chibinacs
Chocotto Sister
Cluster Edge
Cofun Gal no Coffy
Coyote Ragtime Show
Duel Masters Charge
Ergo Proxy
Eureka Seven
Fate/stay night
Funny Pets
Funny Pets 2nd Season
Fushigiboshi no Futagohime
Futari wa Precure: Max Heart
Gaiking: Legend of Daiku-Maryu
Gakuen Heaven/Boy's Love Scramble
Galaxy Angel Rune
Genki Genki Non-tan
Gift: Eternal Rainbow
Ginga Densetsu Weed [wtf??? wasn't this pretty much our joke name for Valvrave?]
Gin'iro no Olynsis: Tokito
Ginyuu Mokushiroku Meine Liebe Wieder
Glass no Kamen/Glass Mask
Glass no Kantai: La Legende du Vent de l'Univers/Glass Fleet: The Legend of the Wind of the Universe
Gundou Musashi
Gunparade Orchestra
Hachimitsu to Clover II/Honey and Clover 2
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora/Looking Up at the Half-Moon
Hanoka
Happiness!
Hataraki Man/Working Man
Hello Kitty: Ringo no Mori no Fantasy
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/When They Cry
Himawari!
Himesama Goyoujin/Princess Beware
Himitsukessha Taka no Tsume/The Frogman Show
Hula Kappa
Idaten Jump
IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix
IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix (2005) 2nd Season
Initial D Fourth Stage
Innocent Venus
Inukami!
Jigoku Shoujo/Hell Girl
Joshikousei: Girl's High/High School Girls
Jyu Oh Sei
Kage kara Mamoru!/Guardian Ninja Mamoru
Kagihime Monogatari Eikyuu Alice Rinbukyoku/Key Princess Story Eternal Alice Rondo
Kakutou Bijin Wulong/Fighting Beauty Wulong 
Kakutou Bijin Wulong: Rebirth/Fighting Beauty Wulong Rebirth
Kamisama Kazoku
Karin
Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl
Kemonozume
Kero Kero Keroppi: Hasunoue Town Kiki Ippatsu!
Kinnikuman II Sei: Ultimate Muscle 2
Kishin Houkou Demonbane/Roar of the Machine God 
Koisuru Tenshi Angelique: Kokoro no Mezameru Toki/Loving Angel Angelique: When Hearts Awaken
Konjiki no Gash Bell!!/Zatch Bell!
Kouchuu Ouja Mushiking: Mori no Tami no Densetsu
Kujibiki♥Unbalance [that's supposed to be a heart in between there, but I guess it doesn't work in [code] blocks. whatever]
Kyou kara Maou!
Kyoushoku Soukou Guyver (2005)
Lemon Angel Project
Love Get Chu
Lovedol: Lovely Idol
Magikano
Mai-Otome
Major S2
Makai Senki Disgaea
Mamotte! Lollipop/Save Me! Lollipop
Marginal Prince: Gekkeiju no Ouji-tachi
Masuda Kousuke Gekijou Gag Manga Biyori 2
Mushishi
Muteki Kanban Musume/Ramen Fighter Miki
Naikaku Kenryoku Hanzai Kyousei Torishimarikan Zaizen Joutarou/Government Crime Investigation Agent Zaizen Jotaro
Nanami-chan 3rd Series
Nerima Daikon Brothers
NHK ni Youkoso!/Welcome to the N.H.K.
Night Head Genesis
Nishi no Yoki Majo: Astraea Testament/The Good Witch of the West
Noein: Mou Hitori no Kimi e/Noein: to your other self 
Oban Star-Racers
Ocha-ken: Hotto Monogatari
Onegai My Melody
Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru/Otoboku: Maidens are Falling for Me!
Ouran Koukou Host Club/Ouran High School Host Club
Papillon Rose
Play Ball 2nd
Princess Princess
Project BLUE Chikyuu SOS/Project Blue Earth SOS
Rakugo Tennyo Oyui/Magical Travellers
Ray The Animation
Rec
Renkin San-kyuu Magical? Pokaan
RGB Adventure
Ring ni Kakero 1: Nichibei Kessen-hen
Rockman.EXE Beast
Rockman.EXE Beast+
Rozen Maiden: Träumend
Saru Getchu: On Air
Sasami: Mahou Shoujo Club/Sasami Magical Girls Club
School Rumble Ni Gakki/School Rumble 2nd Semester
Shakugan no Shana
Shin Chou Kyou Ryo: Condor Hero II/Legend of the Condor Hero II
Shinigami no Ballad./Momo, Girl God of Death
Shuffle!
Simoun
Solty Rei
Soul Link
Spider Riders: Oracle no Yuusha-tachi
Strawberry Panic
Sugar Sugar Rune
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu/The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Tactical Roar
Taiko no Tatsujin/Taiko Drum Master 
The Law of Ueki
The Third: Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo/The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye
The World of Golden Eggs
Tokkou
Tonagura!
Touhai Densetsu Akagi: Yami ni Maiorita Tensai/Mahjong Legend Akagi: The Genius Who Descended Into the Darkness
Tsubasa Chronicle 2nd Season
Tsuyokiss
Ukkari Pénélope
Utawarerumono
Wa Wa Wa Wappi-chan
Wan Wan Celepoo Soreyuke! Tetsunoshin
Witchblade
xxxHOLiC
Yakitate!! Japan
Yoake Mae yori Ruriiro na: Crescent Love/Brighter Than the Dawning Blue
Yomigaeru Sora: Rescue Wings
Yoshimune
Yoshinaga-san'chi no Gargoyle/Gargoyle of Yoshinaga House
Youkai Ningen Bem
Yuki no Joou/The Snow Queen 
Yume Tsukai/Dream Users
Zegapain
Zenmai Zamurai
Zero no Tsukaima/The Familiar of Zero
Zoids Genesis

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

darkgray posted:

Your list seems to be missing shows that started prior to 2006, like Blood+ and Shakugan no Shana.

Edit: I seem to remember liking Noein quite a bit. Then there's Mai-Otome and Mushishi and

dammit, you're right. I trusted MAL's search thing! oh I used it wrong. updating shortly

e: no, fixing what I thought I had wrong didn't work. w/e, I'll just search through the Fall 2005 list and add the appropriate stuff in

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
yep, I definitely left some notable stuff out!

stuff that started earlier but finished in '06:
code:
Angel Heart
Animal Yokochou/Animal Lane
Beet the Vandel Buster Excellion
Black Cat
Black Jack (TV)
Blood+
Canvas 2: Niji-iro no Sketch
Capeta
Cluster Edge
Duel Masters Charge
Eureka Seven
Fushigiboshi no Futagohime
Futari wa Precure: Max Heart
Gaiking: Legend of Daiku-Maryu
Ginga Densetsu Weed [wtf??? wasn't this pretty much our joke name for Valvrave?]
Glass no Kamen/Glass Mask
Gunparade Orchestra
Idaten Jump
IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix
Initial D Fourth Stage
Jigoku Shoujo/Hell Girl
Kakutou Bijin Wulong/Fighting Beauty Wulong 
Karin
Konjiki no Gash Bell!!/Zatch Bell!
Kouchuu Ouja Mushiking: Mori no Tami no Densetsu
Kyou kara Maou!
Kyoushoku Soukou Guyver (2005)
Mai-Otome
Mushishi
Noein: Mou Hitori no Kimi e/Noein: to your other self 
Onegai My Melody
Rockman.EXE Beast
Rozen Maiden: Träumend
Shakugan no Shana
Shin Chou Kyou Ryo: Condor Hero II/Legend of the Condor Hero II
Shuffle!
Solty Rei
Sugar Sugar Rune
Taiko no Tatsujin/Taiko Drum Master 
The Law of Ueki
The World of Golden Eggs
Touhai Densetsu Akagi: Yami ni Maiorita Tensai/Mahjong Legend Akagi: The Genius Who Descended Into the Darkness
Yakitate!! Japan
Yuki no Joou/The Snow Queen 
Zoids Genesis
and I'm adding it into the list in the OP right now

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good

1) Suzumiya Haruhi -

Haruhi is really really good anime. I first watched it a bit after the fact, since I mostly wasn't watching currently-airing anime back then, and I've watched it several times since, and it's great every time. A lot has been said about Haruhi, and whatever of value I might have to say I probably said during the simulwatch a year or two back, so look there if you really care.

2) Mushishi

A friend bought the first disc of this years ago knowing nothing about it, and we watched the first episode as a group. It was very green. Half the group fell asleep, and the other half was enthralled and love the show to this day. I eventually watched it all, and it's just fantastic. Moody, mysterious, simultaneously human and inhuman, it just nails everything. I'm slowly working my way through a rewatch, and it holds up as well as ever.

3) Ouran High School Host Club

It's good, it's cute, it's funny. I at 31 can enjoy it as well as my 15-year-old cousin. I've rewatched bits and pieces since first watching it however many years ago, and I still enjoy it. The end was a bit weird and off-tone compared to the rest, but it still had stuff that made me laugh. I still giggle when I think of the refreshing woodcutting. Let's not talk about the beach episode.

4) Simoun

There were cute girls! And they kissed! Holy crap! But that novelty aside, I quickly discovered a lot I liked about Simoun. The opening scene is from the perspective of a doomed enemy pilot, who gives us their justification for the war they're waging, and shows us what terrifying monsters our protagonists are in combat. It's neat, and effective in positioning the conflict not as one between good guys and bad guys, but instead a more natural one that our protagonists happen to be on one side of. The show very effectively portrays war as a thing that sucks, and that tears apart the natural course of human life. The weird gender stuff is cool, but mostly fades to the background in my memory (though every character having a female VA gives a weird feeling to everything that's really neat). What sticks most strongly with me is the suicide bombing, and the end, where our surviving friends who are still in their world go back to civilian life unsatisfied, because losing a war sucks.

5) Eureka Seven

I see what folks dislike about E7, but it's just cool. The robot surfing is cool (though yeah, it doesn't happen enough), the music is super cool, the visuals are cool, the side characters are cool, Eureka is cool, the world is cool, the mechs are cool... but yeah, the kids suck and a lot of the characters are unsympathetic jerks. I like it anyway.

Bad, from worst to less-bad-but-still-bad

1) Fate/stay night

Rin was the first character whose design arrested my attention before I knew anything else about her. If I had to pick, she's still my waifu. I watched this because of her, and even enjoyed it, mostly because I didn't know anything about the VN. It's not good, though, and it looks like poo poo.

2) Strawberry Panic

There were cute girls! And they kissed (maybe? my memory's fuzzy)! Holy crap! But yeah, nothing else to this. Unlikeable character and boring conflict. I really liked Marimite at the time, which is how this snagged me, but it turns out keeping only the superficial elements of a good thing is a really bad way to make a new good thing. Wacky.

3) Rozen Maiden: Träumend

Rozen Maiden was a fun enough thing that declined in quality with each entry in the series. Thus, this was a new low point for it, and the end of my consumption of the series. The dolls just needed to be cute, talk in funny ways, and have cool fights, but this somehow hosed it up.

Dishonorable mention:
Mai-Otome - I watched this because I mostly liked Mai Hime, and wanted more. I don't remember much, but if 2006_Cantaloupe was bored and disliked a show, well, that's pretty damning.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Srice posted:

Major season two is missing from the list. I'm gonna be the only one to vote for it but I demand recognition!!

You're right! It appears to be the only winter 2006 show to have started in 2005, and it thus fell through the cracks. Added.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Miscellaneous 2006 anime thoughts:

Kemonozume and Welcome to the NHK are both animes I should watch, they very well might earn a place on my best list whenever I get around to them. Yuasa is always fantastic, and the few eps of NHK I've seen were very promising.

Shana and Zero no Tsukaima. Were these really as similar as they seem now? Kugimiya, tsundere, LNs... I don't know, they're practically the same series in my memory. I enjoyed both at first, but fell off after a season or two of each. Unremarkable, really.

Aria, along with not-2006-anime Hidamari Sketch, makes up the biggest whole in my SoL resume. I need to fill that hole someday.

I never watched more than the opening arc of Black Cat, and I believe it's pretty much your standard shounen fare, but I recall quite liking those handful of episodes, and making a conscious decision to watch no more. If I ever watch fight shounen again, I'll probably institute the same policy.

Higurashi was really cool and creepy at first, but then it meandered too much and took forever to come out, and I just kind of lost interest. :rip:

I've never heard of Lovedol, and it probably isn't good, but it's name reminds me of Locodol, which makes me want to know more.

Shuffle is pretty much an unremarkable VN adaptation, and it's not very good, but I'll always respect it for not going with the yandere childhood friend obvious female lead, and instead going with the cute senpai that the male lead had chemistry with. While watching, that's what I wanted, but I didn't at all expect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The different orders are on wikipedia now, there's no excuse.

I don't know that anyone recommends anything other than broadcast order for a first viewing.

• Locked thread