Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, been thinking of dipping my toe back into 40k but I cant go the normal route since that would require alot of money and time investment, as well as the fact that I dont have anyone else who would be willing to learn the rules with such minutae. Sadly, Space hulk seems to be extremely rare expensive.

Necromunda ash wars seems pretty good but it looks like it’s only 2 players?

the game that seems most attractive to me price and reasonability wise is Kill Team, looks like exactly the kind of simpler single package game that’s right up my alley, and I could definitely see it as something much more approachable for normal people to play with and set up, I’m thinking of getting it now.

I was wondering what do you guys think of it? Is it any good? Is it a simpler faster version of 40k? How friendly is it towards normal people to get into?

What set do you recommend to start with?

I am thinking of getting the ‘Into the Dark’ set as my first purchase to try out the game with, it seems to get high reviews and people are saying this is the version that games workshop will expand upon in the near future. Can you use any faction in this new set? Or do the units of the previous set not carry over? I would love to try various factions at some point.

Is it strictly only 2 players only? Or can you expand it somehow to 3 or four players?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

rantmo posted:

The Kill Team Annual 2022 has rules for three and four player games.

a7m2 posted:

Kill Team is not a simplified 40k, it's solidly its own thing. It's also really good, fast and pretty easy to learn. Pick an army you like, though the ones specially made for Kill Team will be a bit more interesting due to the huge amount of options you get. I'm pretty sure it's doable with more than two players but 2 is the intended number.

e: In my opinion KT is better than 40k.

Lumpy posted:

Necromunda has multi-player missions, and most can be tweaked to handle multiple players. It is nothing like 40k gameplay wise. It is insanely fun though.

Kill Team plays not much like 40k rule-wise but is tied more closely to it model / faction wise, and I think it plays more like it in the sense that it's very strategic thinking "know rules well" based. It is also fun. KT is very much 2 player only, but no reason you can't wing it.

Awesome, that settles it, gonna buy into the dark plus a couple extra factions, should be fun!

God daaaamn that rogue trader kill team set looks amazing

Really hoping they release a Voltann kill team at some point should be really fun to relive deep rock galactic adventures

I gotta say I am super duper impressed with the quality of the models, they really are super great, definitely making that small team look as cool as possible!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 12, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hey do I need to buy the Compendium for kill team? or is the Core book and 2022 Annual enough?

my current shopping list is the following:-

Inside the dark starter kit

Rogue Trader Kill team

and the fourth team is either going to be GellerPox Infected or Ork Kommandos, what do you recommend?

Is this a good bunch of stuff to start with? I am holding off buying the imperial guard since it would be human overkill considering I will probably get the Kasrkin-Necron 'Shadowvault' Expansion if I end up liking this game enough to keep at it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Just a heads up, you might know it already but the Into the Dark box does have the core rule book included, not sure if you were saying you'd buy that separately along with the Annual.

yeah I just realized this, that was a close shave!

Set posted:

If you want the Ork Kommandos, it can be a good idea to look at the cheaper starter set, that comes with those as well as the Krieg guys! It is not that much more expensive than just buying either squad separately, and you get a extra rulebook and some terrain on top. Can save you some money if you ever plan to expand there!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah get the set with Orks and Krieg. Both are really cool models and fun teams.

yeah this is a good idea! I just looked at the overall cost, it is much cheaper I agree! there's a fairly steep discount happening for both the 'into the dark' and 'recruit' starter pack' on amazon that would bring the overall cost to 250 dollars, a pretty good deal!

as much as the rogue trader set looks super loving awesome it's just too expensive to buy the core box+ rogue trader+gellerpox+annual 2022 rule book stuff.

I think I'll first really try out the game, see how people in my life enjoy it if at all, then if the response is positive I will expand into the other sets and teams. The 'ShadowVault' set is coming very soon so that might be a good step forward in the future, if the game turns out to be a dud for everyone around me then at least I'm not too much in the hole to cry about it as I'm painting my figures.

Is there anywhere online I can see the 3-4 player rules or is that considered piracy or whatever?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok I just got back from talking to my friends/relatives and stuff about playing kill team and I gotta say I am genuinely loving shocked at how violent a rejection I got from them.

I tried to sell them on trying out the game, I told them this was a much smaller scale, faster and funner version of 40k, I told them I will handle building and painting, but the response was really full on “No” from them, no meeting halfway or anything.

What makes me so insane is that these freaks are all crazy nerds who love rules and long board games, I have to sit there and put up with their five hour long board games about Bavarian irrigation systems from the 1700’s and obsess over victory points and poo poo, but they don’t want to meet me half way to play a fun shooter squad game that’s only an hour long and looks cool and has guns and stuff.

A lot of the responses revolve around them saying that this is just analog Manual Xcom and that they’re not excited by that, and the setting doesn’t interest them. (As opposed to loving boring rear end European victory point games lol)

Mind you, this is after they keep lecturing me about playing board games and tabletop games so we can have less screen time and enjoy each others company.

How do you guys get people into this game?

Anyways, sorry for wasting your guys times, I’ll have to hold off on buying this game until I can find a reliable 40k group of friends. :smith:

if any of you know of any 40k clubs in Saudi Arabia let me know, thanks.

At least there’s gonna be Darktide in a month or so I can enjoy by myself in the dark. :smith:

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 13, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Set posted:

In my experience if you manage to get people like that to try something at least once, they'll most likely like it!

Ok this might be a great idea, I’ll buy the $80 recruit starter set with the Kriegs and Commandos, build the set and present it and see what happens, this way if people don’t like it even after they try it then it’s no big loss on my part and I can still have a nice small collection of figures.

But if they DO like it, then wowza mama I’m gonna go all out on into the dark+shadow vault

Spending any more than that before trying it out on people in real life would be irresponsible. Thanks for the suggestion!

If I get the recruit set, do I have to get the core book or is the Octarius rule book enough for this small starter kit?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 13, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Set posted:

As long as you're enthusiastic about it, then it tends to rub off on your friends too. :) I hope your plan works! And as you said, if it doesn't then you have a small collection of minis that you can build and paint, which is fun in itself too!

Thanks! Do I need to get the core+ octarius book for this starter set? Or is the octarius rule book enough to get the most out of the Kriegs and Kommandos?

Edit

Ok nevermind I found out the set comes with a condensed core rulebook, I’ll just get the octarius rulebook and that will be good enough for now.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 13, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Set posted:

I think it should come with all the basic rules, as well as the rules for both Krieg and Ork Kommandos? I got the original Octarius box that came with all the team specific rules, and I always expected that the starter was the same contents, just less terrain. So no need to get anything beyond the starter box? I am sure someone will come along and either confirm or deny!

I looked into it, it comes with the core book but without the fluff and story, which is fine since I’m a 40k lore maniac so I can live without it, lol.

The octarius book is what’s needed since it comes with special rules and missions and tactics for the specific Kriegs and Commandos and more missions, it’s only 30 bucks so it’s fine to add.

I’ll check back with you guys once I try it with a captive friend lol.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Set posted:

In a weird timewarp, the Krieg are WW1 French and the Ork Kommandos are WW2 British SAS, fighting over the control of ancient Bavarian irrigation systems.

Lol aren’t they literally German trench fighters it’s literally in the name ‘Krieg’ gas mask helmet and all

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Set posted:

Yeah, more generic WW1 trenchfighter in vibe, but their design and uniform is pretty French. I also think they look very much more interesting painted blue, rather than boring old grey. :v:

Btw I just remembered that GW quite recently released a free Space Marine intercessor team for Kill Team, along with some super compressed basic rules. And a squad builder tool! It's all on their community website if you wanna have a look.

Wow free models?! Where and how?!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

No, just free rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

i'd tell 'em "look, i play hours longs games about bavarian plant sewers with you fucks without complaint, and you assholes can't even play 1 game that i want to play once that will maybe eat 2 hours of your time? gently caress you" then find new friends that aren't inconsiderate.

Hmmmmmmmmm

Harsh but fair lol, sadly I enjoy their company they’re good people and indispensable in my life, I like them lol so im not gonna be a drama queen about it.

The difference between me and them is without exaggeration this video:-

https://youtu.be/nyYexTcyY2A

However I did score a major victory today

I met with them and the biggest nerd of the group who’s the main obstacle to my plan got a new game called ‘Agricola’:-

https://youtu.be/eTY-_WJ60a0

and wouldn’t you know it it’s a loving euro rear end farming game, they then proceeded to READ THE RULES AND LEARN THE GAME FROM ZERO for a full hour and a half as I was sitting there screaming and shrieking internally, and wouldn’t you know it they got so lost in the rulebook after all that time we gave up and moved on to an actually exciting board game about Viking killing each other and going to Valhalla and stuff called ‘Blood rage’.

https://youtu.be/hqcBTYxaAow

Blood Rage rules, I highly recommend it!

If you notice, Blood rage comes with cool miniature armies of Vikings and big monster ones.

And wouldn’t you know it, a shining opportunity came, one of them, THE GUY WHO OWNS THE DEN murmurs:-

“Hey these minis seem like they would be fun to play, reminds me of that space game I tried in England years ago”

I couldn’t believe my luck, like Slaanesh seeing a nice juicy honey glazed eldar soul, I struck fast.

“Funny you should mention it, I have a cool version of that game that’s only an hour long”

I then gauged his openness to the setting by showing him the incredible ASTARTES video:-

https://youtu.be/O7hgjuFfn3A

He loving loved it.

Gentlemen, call Abbadon, we got an opening. :nurgle:

Now all I gotta do is get him in a room to try the recruit edition of kill team, I will pre-read and learn the poo poo about rules so no time is wasted and see how he likes it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Legit Businessman posted:

I'm sure you understand that there's a significant financial barrier, even for kill team, that can he highly discouraging for some people. The only reason I got into kill team is that I had a bunch of store credit ($250) to spend thanks to winning stuff with my other 'set money on fire hobby' mtg. And even then, I still have had to spend another $75 for the hobby side of things, and borrow paint from a bunch of my friends who are already into the hobby.

Whereas when you buy a board game, that's it. No additional spend.

I'm not saying that this isn't a great game, because it is, or that painting miniatures isn't awesome, but some people don't want to make that commitment. Full stop.

Yeah I agree, which is why I only bought the basic 80 dollar recruit starter pack to gauge interest, I fully understand that they're normal people who don't want to make the commitment, I however am an insane person, so I'm 100% percent willing to purchase and built and paint everything myself. but I will only do that if there's more interest. So I'm not going to go all in, I purchased the cheapest simplest entry version I can, and will see how they respond, if they like it, I will get into the dark, if they dont, then it's no big loss on my part and it's like buying a board game that I can pop out every once in a while when opportunity strikes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Quick question, if I end up really liking Kill Team and stuff, can I just skip the into the dark box and jump straight to shadow vaults? I’m looking at the contents of the shadowvaults box and it looks much more enticing to me, the Kasrkin look super cool and Necrons rule, I’m not at all excited for imperial navy and Kroot, and it looks like shadowvaults will have more mechanics like robot sentries and stashes and stuff and comes with the exact same scenery and the Kasrkin+Necron rules, since I already have the main rulebooks and tokens with the recruit edition I should be able to just get shadow vaults in the future right?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

Correct.

Fantastic, thanks.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

10 different versions of Zombicide get funded within minutes with basic kickstarter sets costing more than a Kill Team starter would disagree with you.

Yeah at some point you have to tell the person who's surrounded by fifty boxes of european farming simulator board games each one costing 50-100 bucks to gently caress right off.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

let's face it, GW had better Lore than anything that's coming out today, mainly because they where around when outright plagiarism was still legal, but still.

Who did games workshop plagiarize, I thought it was blizzard who plagiarized GW

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Their rules are objectively quite cool and good but agree that they are written very very poorly.

Would you recommend another source to quickly and easily understand the rules for Kill Team?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Beffer posted:

There is a kiwi guy who makes fantastic game aids and rules summaries. He has one for Kill Team:
https://www.orderofgamers.com/games/kill-team/

Wow this is awesome thanks!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I’m sorry how the gently caress is shadowvaults significantly more expensive than into the dark despite not having the core stuff.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/kill-team-shadowvaults-2022-eng

THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS??!?!

No loving way lol if this was priced like into the dark I might have been tempted a few months from now but this is an obscene price for an expansion. I would be happy to pay 150-190 for this a few months from now if I liked kill team but this is an absolute no price for me. How is this more expensive than the giant fuckoff Octarius box set?!

GW hosed up with this one.

EDIT

I AM A GIANT MORON ITS AN AUSTRALIAN LINK THE PRICE IS A NORMAL 180 USA BUCKS KEEPING THIS POST TO HIGHLIGHT HOW DUMB I AM.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 15, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

Into the Dark is 360 didgeridollars, though? :confused:

Please make sure you're shopping in your local currency.

Oh my god I am a loving moron

It’s only 180 actual American freedom dollars

I’m an idiot

PSA please check your URLs before you get a heart attack like I did.

Although I gotta say it’s pretty wierd that they put up the preorders before they let us know what the full rules are and how drones and stashes affect gameplay.

I really want to know if the Kasrkin-necron gameplay is Funner and if they have breachers and stuff like that.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 15, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Well speak of the devil reviews for shadowvaults are out!

https://youtu.be/SWN7m8wn2CU

https://youtu.be/FRaVsPvbHN8

the Kasrkin have a really interesting feature, how do you make Kasrkin actually feel like better trained guardsmen? give them the ability to add more points to their dice rolls! since the kasrkin are better, they will succeed in their shots far more often! however, unlike the imperial navy they are not melee focused, very much a shooty team.

However, sadly the more I look at the Kasrkin, the more I think it’s a very ‘bland’ and safe team, it’s not taking as many wild swings and risks with mechanics as the Imperial Navy team is.

The necrons however have some really crazy looking units that are quite distinct from 40k, these are the Chronomancer, Psychomancer and Technomancer, really interesting assymetrical unit composition and visually very cool. But the reviews say that it's a very hard team to play and win with that needs an additional unit or two.

game seems interesting so far, but the reviews say that it's not a better or unique set from into the dark, just different. will definitely give it a side glance once more solid reviews and playtests are out and once I'm done evaluating normal kill team as a game. But it seems like if you’re looking for a genuinely ‘new’ and fresh way to play as the imperium the navy breacher team is still the most interesting.

The consensus is that it’s very much a 7/10.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 15, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

I'm completely unfamiliar with Nu-Necrons, I'd there a significant difference between the cyclops guys and the skull guys or is it just aesthetics

Cyclops Necrons shoot like THIS

Skull Necrons shoot like THIS

I think at this point the smart thing to do is to wait until the entire gallowdark season is released, and then make your purchase decision form there, it would suck to jump into it now if the remaining two boxes are the same set piece with but with factions that may be more to you liking looks/mechanics wise.

So for example let’s find out if the final two sets have cooler sets/factions and then make a combo of one corridor set (ITD or SV) and one new set of whatever it is they do next.

I will say this though, GW would be very stupid to not capitalize on the popularity of deep rock galactic and not make one of the remaining sets include a Voltann team.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 15, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah I read them, I’m a little bit down on shadowvaults as a result, it’s a real shame the necrons while having some really loving cool minis (the different mancers especially) are missing something vital to make them truly a force to be reckoned with, and the way he’s describing the Kasrkin makes them seem less interesting and exciting to play as than the Imperial Navy Breachers, not BAD but just vanilla.

The rule difference in the core game is very minimal, so if you already have ITD theres no real reason to get this beyond the minis, for a prospective new buyer like me down the line it’s now a legit toss up between ITD and Shadowvault, the only real weak point of ITD is the Kroot in terms of being ‘cool’ but the kroot are mechanically very good.

I definitely will wait until I see what the third and fourth editions look like before I get anything Gallowdark related, it would super suck to find out the next two sets are the same thing as this with only the teams being different, and who knows maybe a super exciting faction combo is next. For now overall I’m leaning towards the Imperial Navy since they’re the most interesting faction so far and most appropriate to the setting. And it would be pretty fun to have them as a complement to my Krieg Squad if I ever expand and try out 3-4 player missions, like a bunch of snooty navyfolk having to deal with smelly guardsmen.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 15, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The more I look at the Imperial navy, the more I’m convinced that this is the faction I want if I ever get to Into the Dark, I’m excited about the possibilities of kitbashing a unique look and feel to them, their bodies are perfectly fine, they’re great. The big thing I wanna see is if I can replace the heads with more of a ‘imperial privateer and miner’ look and feel to them, like a bunch of hard bitten veterans out on another imperial busting in ‘italian job.’ Caper.

To do this I would probably need to look at the fantasy warhammer stuff to find out if the humans have a pirate or miner faction in them, and I want to see if I can figure out how to incorporate more old timey turn of the century hats and diving suit helmets like bio shock for the grenadier or something, maybe even find a parrot for the sergeant or a canary for the comms, I think it would be a super fun idea if I ever get around to into the dark!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

gently caress it, call me an idiot bozo or whatever lol but I bit the bullet and bought both the Rogue Trader (the very last copy available on Amazon!) and GellerPox teams, the models just look so loving awesome and I've already invested in paints and stuff so I might as well get them while there's a good discount on them on amazon, I'm not sure if ever they'll get a reprint so I might as well. they will be immensely fun to paint though!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 16, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

One of us. One of us.

MY BANK ACCOUNT FOR THE SKULL THRONE

It’s games workshops fault for making both the rogue trader and Gellerpox look so awesome!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lumpy posted:

EXPLAIN HOW

WE START A SKULL PYRAMID SCHEME.

Ok seriously guys quick question, I want to still use the kill team box to store and transport my minis with, but I don’t want them to jumble and scratch each other when I do, any advice? Do I just get two slices of foam to fit in the box and sandwich the minis inside?

Also I found a very cool token and card organizer for kill team, I will definitely purchase this and print it out at a local 3D print shop:-

https://www.etsy.com/listing/116845...k=1&bes=1&sts=1

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ristolaz posted:

it's a little more work but it's usually much better to glue some magnets under your models bases and stick them to some kind of metallic surface. Luckily for kill team you don't need a huge container so that can be like a cookie tin

Huh that’s actually really clever thanks! Will try it out!

What’s the right kind of magnet shape or size for this? Gonna go to a hardware store to see if I can find it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

What’s even the point of having an ork if you don’t use a claw. The claws are the coolest part of the orks!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Besides the teams what is the difference between Into the Dark and Shadowvault? Just different scatter terrain?

The only difference is that there’s little drones and turrets in the box that add more environment hazards and situations.

I would honestly wait until the other sets are announced, you never know if the remaining sets are the same thing but with a faction combo that might be more appealing to you.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

My prediction for Soulshackle is that it will probably involve the Eldar, it's literally in the name. OR the Tzeench Thousand sons, that would actually make alot of sense!

I genuinely hope the other two environments are unique, but I'm absolutely gonna wait and see.

My biggest hope is that one of them involves the Votann, that would be a 100% guarantee I'd get it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

Got my counts-as-deathwatch Space Wolves on the table and finally played a game of Into the Dark.

Let me tell you a dude with a bolter and a power sword is a monster when you put them on Guard. :staredog:

if I ever make a space marine kill team I am 100% gonna get those cool wolf helmets for them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

What makes alpha legion interesting? From what I’m seeing they are the most ‘normal’ of the chaos marines.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Wow apparently Kill Team Shadowvaults is such a massive success in the UK GW cant fulfill all pre-orders from how sold out it is.

I would still very much reccomend nobody fall for FOMO until the rest of the gallowdark is announced and we get a clear sense if the terrain will change or not.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 21, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

Is the terrain the big draw? The minis are gorgeous, but the Space Hulk terrain does not do it for me at all.

The terrain is a really good draw, because it allows a much tighter focus on close quarters, environmental hazards, customizable missions, etc. it removes some complications such as elevation. and the missions like breaching and reaching objectives is super fun from what I’ve been reading, most reviewers say that Gallowdark is kill team at its most focused and fun.

The problem is, the first two boxes are the exact same terrain, so if you have one it’s really hard to justify buying another set unless you actually plan on doing the actual 40k mega boarding missions.

To me, the only released Gallowdark faction I’m genuinely interested in is the imperial navy, but I’m waiting for the other sets to release to see if I should get them with the terrain or get them separately if a faction combo looks more interesting.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

This is going to be me when my kill team box arrives

https://twitter.com/bonesdrawstuff/status/1583815699218452485?s=46&t=uj3okB4zf-Tz4rYh4QSkXQ

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Kill Team starter set, Gellepox and Rogue traders, along with the octarius and annual rulebooks is on the way from the USA! So excited! :dance:

I definitely think this will more than tide me over painting and playing wise until they announce what the next gallowdark set is. By then I’ll know for sure if I am in love with this game or not and just double team a couple sets if the terrain is different.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 23, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

My Legionairies are going wildstyle on the perfidious Tau and I am loving it

Wow haha what are the legionaries like to play? I wonder how different they are from guardsmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Very. You get 6 dudes who are either murder machines or unstoppable monsters depending on how you kit them out and which god they serve.

Woops sorry I got them mixed up with the blooded who are the corrupted guardsmen