Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ineptmule posted:

Of course Necro is random in its progression but if it wasn't everyone would only ever select Ballistic Skill and shooting abilities. (I'm aware that this points to another inherent imbalance in the game.)

Ideally you're playing Necro with a lot of terrain to provide cover/block LOS but that's not always feasible, or even desirable depending on the group.

berzerkmonkey posted:

One thing people tend to forge is that if your H2H guy all of a sudden becomes a Sniper, just trade weapons with someone else in the gang and change roles.

It's still kind of naff because if I spend a bunch of time and money trying to make a beefy melee dude but then have to start giving him ranged because the game randomly decided to do that, I'd be a bit annoyed. It's also no excuse for poor game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Silver Towers of Tzeentch were/are a unit in Epic and Apocalypse.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's a good RO. Too bad it's wearing the human team armor.

It's Skaven, they probably stole it off of someone.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Punch Rockgroin.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Finished up a commissioned Norse team. The guy told me to paint them as I wished so I went for the obvious choice and did the Minnesota Vikings.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Sorry - I meant a skirmish game that anyone actually loving plays.

You mean like Malifaux, Dark Age, Infinity, and Frostgrave? :v:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

I did mention Infinity, and was called out for "cherrypicking." I've never seen a game of Malifaux or Dark Age played outside of a handful of people at Adepticon, and Frostgrave seems to have a core group of Internet adherents who, again, I have never seen actually play. Granted, this is my personal experience, and not indicative of the scene in general, though my local store is quite large and busy.

So it's just a case of "games I personally have never seen being played." Which you should've said right off the bat instead of making a sweeping generalized statement about games that you don't actually play.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

I said it right in the statement you quoted. I forgot that I had to preface every statement with "In my personal experience" because that's how conversations work.

I was referring to:

berzerkmonkey posted:

Sorry - I meant a skirmish game that anyone actually loving plays.

which is the blanket statement I mentioned.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNz8ZsFxgM

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Common houserule fixes for Mordheim:

• -1 to-hit penalty for dual-wielding (or triple-wielding, in the case of Skaven). Some groups allow the purchase of a Combat skill that removes the penalty.
  • Shields give +1 armor when paired with a suitable weapon (swords, clubs, etc.) in close combat, stack-able with other forms of armor.
  • Light armor and heavy armor costs half as much as listed in the rulebook. Gromril and mithril still costs the appropriate multiplier.
  • Slings cost twice as much as they do in the rulebook.
  • No elves. Period.
  • No Amazons.
  • Some people don't allow dwarves. I'm inclined to agree because they're super goddamn dull to fight against, but YMMV.

All of these are hotfixes, basically, and doesn't address some of the larger problems that occur in the system--skill access imbalances, some warbands starting off weak but becoming overpowered at endgame (or vice-versa), missions being a grab-bag of okay to terrible--but for most groups these are the most common and easiest to implement.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Elven Union on the way. Finally. :v:

Those are straight-up TES: Oblivion faces.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Probably the only one that I think looks okay. The rest are kinda garbage for the reasons already stated.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

we're currently laughing at FW for heinously loving up some bolt pistols.

What.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Behold, the Awuu Pattern Bolt Pistol:

FW has said, repeatedly, that this poo poo was intentional. It's limited to a Space Wolf upgrade set so it won't impact most people, but it's still dumb as hell. Space Wolf fans are extremely vocal and their releases have not gone the way they'd like.

Holy poo poo. That's amazing.

TTerrible posted:

Also while 7th has its issues I maintain that a lot of 40ks problems were generated by the army lists rather than the core. :shobon:

Nah, the core for 7th was pretty bad. It didn't really fix any of the glaring issues from 6th (psychic phase is still awful and doesn't scale well at all!), True LoS is and always has been garbage,and rolling in Apocalypse material into the core just lead to a lot of D-weapons being thrown around, among other fun-killing issues. It was like 2nd edition all over again, and not in a good way.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

30k goes a long way to fixing some of those complaints.

I'm sure it does, but as I've dropped 40k entirely, I don't intend on ever playing 30k either. The closest I think I'd get to playing a GW game at this point is Epic, which does the large-scale stuff 40k has been trying to do for years now in a much better fashion.

I do still like the 30k AdMech though. Nice models.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Lobster God posted:

These are great, think I may steal the hazard stripes on the bases for mine!

Hazard stripes go on everything. Especially chainswords.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Space Marines worked in Necro only as an existential threat for campaigns, and with a GM overseeing the campaign. CSM had stats in one of the old books (Outlanders?) and they absolutely wreck face, and are not at all suitable as something for the players to have control over. Having a CSM pop up in the middle of a match and put the fear of the Dark Gods in the gangs can be fun, but it loses a sense of gravitas if they're on the field every match.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

I really like the little digs at Necromunda and Blood Bowl here. Absolutely nothing is stopping people from using their old models in either game, especially Blood Bowl. The general size of GW models has crept up since 1990-whatever. Just look at the difference between a 2nd edition plastic marine and a current one. It's not some conspiracy to invalidate models. An old marine model is just as usable today as are gangers, etc.

The scale of Titanicus is changing so that they can expand the range later with decent-looking infantry and tanks. Of course a titan sculpted with modern techniques would look fine at 6mm, that's not the issue. 6mm infantry looks like rear end and increasing the scale will only make them look better. The titans will benefit too. This will invalidate the old Epic models, true, but if you're currently playing that, just keep playing it if you don't want to buy new models.

And I mean, if Titanicus only cares about base size, there's nothing stopping people with old models slapping them onto different base sizes and going from there. Same with E:A too, I imagine. iirc, E:A's line of fire is more abstract than the usual TLOS stuff from usual GW games, so I don't think it'd even be a big enough issue so long as they're all on the right base size.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

JcDent posted:

Come over to 30K thread where we're having death-of-a-game meltdown.

Am I reading this right in that FW is discontinuing a whole bunch of poo poo?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

A few dudes, a few torsos and every single weapon you'd want to put on any of the handless dudes you can still buy.

They're discontinuing bolters. From a game that's 80% Space Marines.

That's pretty :laffo:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZdiu84GS48

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Zasze posted:

Looking for some suggestions for filling out a bunch of civilian models for necromunda since there are now a few scenarios that require them (and its really cool and fluffy to have them around) but im having a hell of a time finding sci-fi regular people models any suggestions?

Reaper's Chronoscope line might have what you're looking for.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

6th ed had every army represented with a book, so you have the entire range to choose from. While you could use the 6th ed rulebook, but 7th cleared up a few things and would be the better choice between the two.

This, yeah. 7th was just a cleaned-up 6th. It did force people to play ranks of 5 iirc, which kind of screwed up a couple lists (like Beastmen), but it's nothing a little hand-waving can't fix.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Excuse me, I think you'll find that it's called a magazine

It's a clip you philistine.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

The clip is the tool that you use to store rounds of ammo together in a ready to fire format. You push the clip of ammo into the magazine, and it's faster than loading individual rounds.

Blame Hollywood for the confusion.

:thejoke:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

AT is about the only GW game I'm actually interested in trying (with maybe Kill Team in second) so I'm cautiously excited for this.

What I'm really curious about though, is the scale in regards to base size and comparison with existing models. I know there's shots of the Knights next to a BB model and that the Knights are on what look to be 40mm bases; going by those, I'd imagine the Reaver is about Dreadknight size (so like 4-4.5"), and the Warlord about 6" tall (so, 40k Knight size, I think).

I've got 2 of the Dreamforge 15mm Leviathans from back when I still played 40k and which I never assembled, so I figure I may as well do something with them. AT might just be what they're good for.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

always be closing posted:

Are mortal wounds a bad thing?

They're wounds that you don't roll to wound for, and which the target doesn't get a save against.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

My AT plans have fallen through for now due to increased interest in Kill Team. I still plan on picking up a warhound though, gonna think up some rules for it for kill team - a mission element or boss battle or something.

Flagrantly rip off Metal Gear Solid for a scenario.

Especially Revengeance.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I don't know why anyone is surprised that a noted GW apologist is apologizing for GW's KKK-invoking model design.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Moola posted:

I'm gonna try and scratch build a lucius pattern warlord for AT

It's the sexiest titan and all others can gently caress off

You better document this, you mad skeleton.

Related, is there listed heights for the AT models? Google's turning up comparison shots but I'm not finding an approximate height in inches.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Failson posted:

From the stuff on my desk - Questoris Knights are 1.5" Cerastus Knights are 2" approx. Not including bases.

Cerastus Knights are cool and good. Added bonus of four extra heads, and two extra power fists that could work on the Questoris models in a pinch.

Knights I figured were about terminator size, it's stuff like the Reaver, Warlord, and Warhound that I'm more curious about. 40k-sized Imperial Knights are around 7" tall, and comparison shots between that and the Warlord put the latter as the shorter of the two. So, maybe 5.5"-6" for a Warlord, and maybe 4.5" for the Reaver?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Like what in the hell. Were you even following the thread or did you just jump to conclusions?

I think you know the answer already.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Gonna stop this nonsense with some Blood Bowl commission I painted over the past couple of months and probably forgot to share.

Orcs! They were super easy to do. Yellow base coat, with a green wash over the skin. Armor portions were stippled with lighter yellow before glazed with the old GW yellow ink. Simple, effective, and pumped out over the span of a week or so. I couldn't tell you what colors I used on the troll because I didn't keep track, but I semi-followed a Doctor Faust video using colors that mostly matched what he used.

Chaos team. The skin was fairly easy to do, using Reaper Spectral White (a Halloween-only color) as a base, followed by a 1:1:1 mix of Army Painter Purple Wash/AP Red Wash/Matte Medium as a wash. Went back over with Spectral White, and called it a day. The red armor plated were built up from dark brown to tan, then glazed over with Tamiya Clear Red, getting a rich blood red color. Brass is VGC Brassy Brass > AP strong tone > VGC Bright Bronze > Bright Bronze + VMA Steel. Various details were picked out with black and grey, and AP soft tone over white for the fur. The orc and goblin followed the Orc Team recipe above.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

JcDent posted:

It's a wonder what good painting can do to old miniatures.

There's two things I like about the old BB models: 1) their charm, and 2) they're usually one piece, which makes assembly super easy.

The Chaos team I posted? Lots of small limbs on tiny contact points that make pinning a headache. I broke no less than 3 drill bits on that chaos troll, one of which was still stuck in its foot by the time I handed it off to the customer. Very nice-looking models, but an absolute nightmare to assemble.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How big are the old ogres compared to the new one?

Comparable in size. Slightly larger than Morg, but probably shorter than a 5th ed Ogre if said ogre was standing up straight.

They're in line with older versions so I'd say pick up the new plastic kit, if only because they're so much lighter and won't snap apart if they tip over drunkenly.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Finished up two more team commissions. First up, Nurgle!

Followed by Tzeentch!

The same guy has been commissioning me to paint his Blood Bowl teams for years now, and he seems to have an endless supply of them. Good for my wallet, not so much my sanity.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Moola posted:

Hey dudes, pretty happy with my prototype for a AT Reaver Titan but its Tau

Nothing is glued so everything can be changed. Weapons will be magnetized and the torso, arms and legs can all be detached for easy transport.

Can I get some feedback and suggestions?

e; inspired from this guy from mass effect

https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/YMIR_Mech

I think the torsos are a little squished. When you look at a Tau Battlesuit, they're more wide along the shoulders, to the point of being at or just past the hip area; it then tapers down towards the waist, almost to a V-like shape. This design aesthetic follows up to the Riptide too, so it's clear it would scale well for something closer to AT scale. I'd bulk them out a bit along the shoulder area. I do agree with Booley on the point of adding some finer details, especially more Tau-like bitz for it, as well as the ankle area.

The rest looks good though, for what you're trying to go for.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Anyway here's more Bloodbowl teams because I sure do never get tired of painting this crap.

First up, Khemri.

Keeping tiny contact points on pewter torsos and legs is a nightmare. I ended up having to cast the loincloths in resin because the metal ones simply wouldn't stay glued on as they were, and it was way easier to cut grooves in the resin so that they'd actually stay on the pelvic bone.

Second, this...uh, Mexican Wrestler-themed team?

I have no idea what company these came from. I'm lead to believe it was some local company or small-time thing, a guy in his basement casting as a hobby that the customer got for dirt cheap. The ogre is plastic so who even knows where that one is from either.

They're absolutely awful to paint and they're what finally broke me, and which I'm taking a long-rear end break from painting commissions. I've done nothing but pump out BB teams for months now and it's really burning me out.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Maybe some acidic splash damage if it receives so much damage at once from a single melee attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Thread, please convince me why I shouldn’t put together some simplified unit icons (like 1990s white dwarf battle report map style) and get them laser etched on mdf chits to use for warmaster?

You absolutely should not get laser-etched MDF chits for that game.

Use laser-etched colored acrylic instead :getin: