Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's a neat interview: https://www.goonhammer.com/the-goonhammer-interview-with-james-m-hewitt-part-3-necromunda-and-needy-cat-games/

Also check out the previous parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

E. Nesbit posted:

I have always thought that the hate against dwarf teams is unjustified. You could say the same about chaos or nurgle teams.
And I will! :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The new Amazon models look pretty sick.

https://twitch.tv/warhammer

Edit: "Voidsmen-at-arms" :allears:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 10, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The rulebook, the compendium and then one book for each boxed set plus a set of White Dwarfs. The non-pendium teams are scattered all over the place.

Found out my friend owns the KT starter set so I might get to try this soon. :toot: / :retrogames:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No it's not.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bare minimum is a rulebook, game board and the pass template. Just get the boxed set imo.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hihohe posted:

My friends call it the Power Squat. Lotta old models have it as its easy to keep models standing like that when waiting for the glue to dry in the old days of metal minis.
It's also very straightforward to cast, you don't have to do weird sprue tricks

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Pretty sure you're still three dudes short of a full team so might as well.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Satire requires irony, and irony loving sucks.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking of Kill Team, the FAQs updated and I have no idea what changed.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's a very good game but set aside at least three hours for your first session.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I want to build a Kill Team, but the only things I feel like painting are tactical Marines and Eldar Guardians. :negative:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lumpy posted:

Good News! You can make kill teams with those models! What's that, you want to win occasionally.... oh. Sorry.
To be fair, I'd probably do at least as well with a 6-dude team of tacticals with a plasma gun as a "real team" whose rules I can't actually remember. :v:

A Deathwatch team with 100% storm bolters would be strictly better, but I can't be bothered to source those storm bolters.

Edit: Oh right Sternguard Vets come with two. Hm.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 10, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tacticals aren't awful by any metric, but it feels weird to play them when you could play Deathwatch and get the same dudes with better weapons. Their only downside is that you can't fill out your roster with models that aren't Deathwatch Veterans.

Edit: I think what I'll do is, I'll get a box of Tacticals to start out with, and if I want more firepower I'll buy the Sternguard box and insist they "count as" Deathwatch.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 11, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The Lictor being resin might have something to do with it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They could probably recycle the Stealth Suit rule for it, but I'm not sure what licting it up would look like in a KT context. Would you have one uber-Lictor, or would you have to take a bunch of Genestealers to get a reasonable activation count?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The horse stats have always been in the Monster Manual so, y'know. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I haven't run many teams that get ceaseless on them, does that end up more reliable than piercing? For guys shooting on 3+ I guess that makes them only miss on 2s.
According to Goonhammer, mostly, but it depends on the target's save: https://www.goonhammer.com/hammer-of-math-boltgun-special-rules-in-kill-team-2-0/

Tl;dr: If your target has a bad save, try to score as many hits as you can. If they have a good save, AP becomes more valuable.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Covermeinsunshine posted:

I reckon gun sergant with stalker bolt+blessed bolts+scope can be unpleasent but that is a lot of eggs in one basket
The combo sounds great but I think I'd rather pick the auto bolter instead. The sergeant has the best melee weapon in the team, so I'm not hot on giving him a Heavy gun.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've not done the math, but I feel like the 15th wound wouldn't do all that much? For many weapons it doesn't seem to actually change the number of hits needed to kill at all.

I'm much more interested in the mobility tactics, myself. Raider seems fun as heck, especially combined with the Assault Doctrine ploy, and Stealthy looks to be annoying as all hell if you're playing a shooty team.

Edit: Oh, right, crit damage changes the math just enough. Two hits and a crit with a power weapon deal 14 damage total for instance. Yeah, I can see the utility now.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 17, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Are you thinking of the Sanctus Sniper's special action? A Vantage Point by itself doesn't give the No Cover rule, so unless I'm forgetting a rule, the Stealthy Marines should still get their free saves.

I've played on some weird tables with not a lot of good vantages so I might be valuing this ability completely wrong. :shobon:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 17, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

GW decided to also put out the Warcry rules, and they're much more detailed than the Kill Team cheat sheet: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/08/18/charge-headlong-into-warcry-with-free-core-rules-to-download/

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Liking this new GW trend of free rules, hopefully it continues
So who had money on Blitz Bowl getting the next free rulebook? Anyone?

https://www.bloodbowl.com/blitzbowl/

Edit: Turns out the rulebook doesn't contain the teams so you can’t actually play the game without finding somewhere that stocks it. :sigh:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 27, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The free ruleslaught continues with the Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game Quick Start (MESBGQS for short): https://www.warhammer-community.com/downloads/#middle-earth-strategy-battle-game

Each of the Battlehost booklets has the rules for the matching boxed set.

Edit: Kinda tempted to do a couple of armies out of cheap generic fantasy figures for this, actually. But I just ordered the Into the Dark box, so that'll have to wait a bit.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 7, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Siivola posted:

I just ordered the Into the Dark box
It's very large. :stare:

Elf for scale.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, it's not a deal breaker, it's just that people need a heads up before assembly and paint.
Yeah I just started working on the walls and I'm real glad for the warning. But oh man a whole table of these is going to look so sick once all the filing and scraping is done! :stoked:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Read the vision rules again and write down what light cover and vantage points do.

You'll forget all your rules. Just barrel ahead.

The first game will take at least two hours.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Makes me eonder how much of that is intentional and how much of it is sprue design related. Can't be sure either way
I would blindly guess they've told the sculptor to make sure each dude can be built two ways and that there should be enough bodies for a full team. They could easily slap in an extra operative, but otoh they could also put in more bitz and hobbyists love bitz.

I'm frankly surprised there are two Kroot hounds on the sprue. Someone noticed they have GA 2 I guess.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you're starting from scratch and want to play Kroot, the Into the Dark box has all that and a poo poo ton of terrain for the price of all the things bought separately.

A tournament roster is up to 20 models so one box wob't be enough, but you can cover most of your bases with a box.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lumpy posted:

watch out for the knife guy who can charge from concealed
I thought they could all do that?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think they released all the compendium warbands for free on warcom: https://www.warhammer-community.com/downloads/#warcry

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah the issue is that by the rules, "cannot" overrides "can".

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh yeah that's absolutely true, I was thinking about this FAQ entry about resolving conflicting special rules:

quote:

Q: How do you resolve contrasting rules? For example, the Contagion Strategic Ploy (DEATH GUARD and CHAOS DAEMON ) means enemy operatives are treated as being injured, but the Emperor’s Chosen ability (TALONS OF THE EMPEROR ) means the operative cannot be injured.

A: In such circumstances, ‘cannot’ takes precedence; the Emperor’s Chosen ability would prevent the operative from being injured as a result of the Contagion Strategic Ploy. There may be some rules where specific wording overrides this though. For example, a rule might say ‘the operative is treated as being injured, regardless of any rules that say it cannot be injured’. In this instance, the Emperor’s Chosen ability would not prevent the operative from being injured.

Now, it's kind of a crapshoot here. On the one hand, obviously a *breacher* team should be able to go through bulkheads! That's their job! On the other hand, there's no core way to move through terrain features that I know of so specifying terrain can't be moved through by any means seems designed to prevent exactly that kind of movement. I would really like an FAQ on this. :shrug:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Imo creeping through ventilation shafts to outflank an enemy sound exactly like what a genestealer cultist would do.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They've confirmed we'll be on Gallowdark for the entire season. The expansion titles will be "Shadowvault", "Soulshackle" and "Gallowfall". Based on the fluff in the Dark book, we're almost certain to get some kind of Chaos team too, and I kinda hope it'll be a mix of daemons and ragged cultists. Remaking Space Hulk is too obvious to pass and besides, the 'Nids proper haven't gotten a real team yet anyway, so now would be about time.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You interrupt their activation and the timing is "after they perform an action", so I'd say you're correct. This is not like the Kroot Pistolier's ability that interrupts a shooting action.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 25, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I would hazard a guess that Custodes, Deathwatch, Grey Knights and Tyranids are all completely playable. They might struggle with ploys and tac ops compared to "proper" teams but the operatives are solid.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Grey Knights get to reroll all their shots and melee attacks for free, they're completely okay.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Not caring about winrates over your friends is the opposite of crazy, especially if you don't actually play capital-M-Matched games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I wonder how much effort it'd be to kitbash Escher heads on Novitiate bodies.