Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Delaque were my guys back in old Necromunda days, so I'm excited to see what they look like now. That old Cawdor box really brings me back- I remember that great battle report in WD 203 that convinced child me that this game was something I had to convince all my friends to chip in to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I would be interested to see what they have on their backs, as otherwise it doesn't look like they have any special or heavy weapons (unless that's a webber on bottom row/right).

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I like the new Delaques- they fit in with how (almost) all the other gangs got "their gimmick x 2" for the new edition.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Holy moley, they have the font from the 2nd ed Ork codex.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I'm looking to pick up a skirmish game and am between Beastgrave/Underworlds and Warcry. I understand that it's probably apples and oranges, but can anyone tell me how they compare?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. It's sounding like Underworlds is the way to go, especially since Beastgrave is only like 70-80 bucks. I'm just looking for something quick to play with my cousin, so being overly competitive isn't really a concern.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Sorry for the continued Underworlds questions, but is there any point in buying Nightvault or Shadespire if you've got Beastgrave? I've ordered Beastgrave, and am curious if adding the other boxes would give you more flexibility with boards or cards or anything.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Thanks for the info, everyone!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I went splits on a Beastgrave box before the quarantine and though my friend and I have yet to get together to play a game, I now have three warbands painted. The Underworlds model of "cheap box of 3-8 guys" is pretty much perfect for me- interesting sculpts of colourful weirdos for cheap, each a perfect size for a project- done before I get bored of a particular type of model. I even find the coloured plastics charming.

I hope the game is fun :ohdear:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I understand that it's priced that way for a reason, but I can't get over how cheap Underworlds warbands are compared to regular AOS models. A Kharadron Aether-Khymist is $35 CAD, and for $5 more, you can get Thundrik's Profiteers- which includes Thundrik (an Aether-Khymist) along with four other dudes and the cards!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

xpost from the painting thread, but:

New warband/project started: nudist party dwarves

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

poo poo, double post

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Finished up the Chosen Axes!

Finally got my first three games in over the weekend, got trounced every time but am quite taken with the game itself. Once I get my decks tuned up a bit I think I'll be doing a lot better (I didn't realize that the second deck of cards in the box is what you're supposed to pick and choose from, I just mashed them both together and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any objective cards I could actually score).

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

lilljonas posted:

Sometimes there are announcements of ”last chance to buy”, sometimes not.

Warcry chat away. I haven’t bought it but got Underworlds just at the start of covid. Planning to play games once things calm down. This far I like the concept as a painter, as buying and painting a handful of minis without the committment of a whole army is very neat.

This has been my experience with Underworlds as well. The game seems really well designed (despite getting hammered in all of the three games I've played so far) and the cheap, bite-sized warbands are a perfect size for a project. I'm working in my fifth warband now, and it's been a lot of fun to just switch gears after 4-6 models and move on to something different. That, and having a bunch if warbands laying around means that I can host games for people who are interested but don't necessarily want to invest in models etc.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I've done the beastmen, Kharadrons, fyreslayers and Mollog and his pets, and I'm working on the goblins now. I'm not sure what's next- the chainrasps are cool, but I would probably have to hit eBay to find their cards.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Double post, but here's 4/9 of Zarbag's Gitz!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I typed a bunch of stuff about Underworlds, but honestly you're better off just reading this Goonhammer article.

I've gotten into Underworlds this year and while I'm a terrible player who doesn't fully understand how to build a good deck, it's a lot of fun to play, is quick, and I really like just picking up a new warband to work on for a project that doesn't entail painting like 200 goblins or whatever. Underworlds has my recommendation, for what that's worth!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Finally finished Zarbag's Gitz! I need to get a proper lighting/photo setup as these pics seem to be getting worse and worse. Also, I will never paint another mushroom so long as I shall live.

Edit: I would also invite people to post their warbands, I feel like I never see any posted anymore.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 11, 2020

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

The cards marked in the corner with the faction symbol are only usable by that warband, while cards with the universal symbol (#5, below) can be used by anyone.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Started up a new warband, kind of makes me wish that the Gitmob were still a thing.

Colors on the snarlfang inspired by my beautiful model:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

They're really great models! One word of avice though, despite being push-fit, some of the goblin heads are extremely spiky and unless you feel like puncturing your thumb, you're probably better off snipping the posts and just gluing them on.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rippa's Snarlfangs 2/3!

I'm kind of running out of warbands I'm interested in (at least until new ones are out in December), but since I've realized that it's not likely I'll actually play with most of the ones I've already painted (I'm looking at you, Chosen Axes), I might as well get a Warcry warband or Necromunda gang to work on.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 10, 2020

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

xutech posted:

If you've got some friendly necromunda friends, you can use your fantasy gangs to play necromunda as well! There's at least one hive on Necromunda thats low tech and there are plenty of places where Orks goblins and other xenos scum hang out and cause problems. Please consider!

That's actually the inverse of my goal- I want a new project for when my Snarlfangs are all done!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

And that's a wrap on the Snarlfangs!

Edit: A little cleaner shot-

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 17, 2020

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

A glance at the Lumineth fighter cards has them looking pretty tough just by the bare stats.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Also, aren't all the native Warcry warbands meant to be Undivided?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Has anyone tried out the Underworlds Arena Mortalis expansion yet? Considering picking it up as I want an extra board anyways.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Did not play the actual game mode, but there are some decent cards in it, if that matters to you!

Thanks!

Started in on a new warband to tide me over till Direchasm comes out! After two warbands of gobbos, I had to go lower, to the most degenerate creatures of all: the ghoul.

Trying to get out of my comfort zone and do a filthy John Blanche style with limited results, but I'm pleased with the experiment so far.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Another grimy ghoul. I've always liked ghouls, but put off the Gymwatch for ages as I hated the models, but now I think I might just hate the studio paint job.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

glitchkrieg posted:

It's... not great. It's the kind of thing that's fun as a break between hectic league or tournament practice games, but there's really not much to it. Slightly more fun than standard multiplayer games, especially as it's made some of the lesser-used warbands fun again because they have one or two great fighters (looking at you Skellies and Skaven).

But it does have some good cards...

I'll probably end up grabbing it- I really only play with my cousin, but a friend of his is coming down to visit with a few warbands so something for multiplayer (and an extra board) would be good to have. We're not particularly serious players, so a change of pace would probably be fun.

Two more for the Boo Crew, desperately trying to angle some natural light in for better photos.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

What are considered "good" warbands? I have Ironsoul's Condemnors and the wraiths from the Dreadfane box, as well as Mollog's Mob and Thundrikk's Profiteers (who are the biggest freaking PITA to paint with all their overhangs and stuff, they look drat cool though). I haven't really played much with the latter two but the wraiths so far seem like a pretty great crew.

The game is much easier now that I've 3d printed little nameplates for everyone. It's hard to remember who can use which cards when everyone is an identical ghost or armored behemoth that only varies by their pose.

I don't know about "good" but Zarbag's Gitz are a lot of fun to play and have won me more games than any of my other warbands (disclaimer: I am bad at playing).

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

And that's a wrap on the Grymwatch! Man, these guys were fast to paint compared to models with pouches and banners and belts and poo poo.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Roadmap for Direchasm is up. If I'm reading it right, it looks like

Jan: Slaves to Darkness
Feb: Lizardmen
March: Vampires?
April: Savage orcs?
May: Ossiarch Bonereapers
June: Idoneth

edit:

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 27, 2020

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Oh, that would be cool.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That Vampire silhouette just screams Harkon to me, a small warband seems a good fit for the vampirates they tease every now and then.

Boy, that would be great.

I'm curious what the Ossiarch warband will be like- I have zero interest in them as an AOS faction, but Underworlds warbands often have more interesting takes, given how few models there are.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

After a while away from painting, I finally got to crack into the Dread Pageant. With the new Slaanesh line, I have no idea how someone would paint up a whole army of these guys.

With the Slaves to Darkness warband dropping in a couple weeks, it seems wild that they haven't showed us the all Skinks from next month's warband yet.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I'm almost 100% sure it's vampires. Idoneth are coming further on down the line, according to the road map.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Two more for the Dread Pageant-

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rushed Vasillac out this morning for a couple games this afternoon, went 2 for 2. Had a lot of fun with these guys, Slakeslash was an absolute MVP.

Going to have to go back over them for some details and cleanup now that the games are done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Vampires confirmed for warband coming after the lizards over on WarCom, and if the one after that isn't savage orcs or whatever they're called now, I'll eat my hat.

edit: With pictures:

Just noticed that everything got pushed back a month, bummer, I wanted to crack into Khagra's Ravagers.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 20, 2021