Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
In Warmaster, should I take the rulebook rules or the army book rules? For instance, the Empire Hellblaster Volley Gun has different rules in the main Living Rulebook (6-3-1 firing, a different misfire table) than in the Army List section (8-4-2, different misfire table).

On a different note, is the Hail of Stones spell from the High Elves just awful? 6+ to cast and causes 1d3 attacks, so probably 1 hit per enemy unit and doesn't drive back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Played my first game of Warmaster. High Elf vs Dwarf, 1500 points during the War of the Beard. We had a village worth 100VPs, otherwise just a regular fight.

My List:
245 - 4 Spearmen
- 1 Sword of Fate (5)
300 - 4 Archers
350 - 3 Silver Helms
- 1 Banner of Fortune (20)
70 - 1 Giant Eagles
310 - 1 General
- 1 Dragon (100)
- 1 Orb of Majesty (30)
100 - 1 Hero
- 1 Chariot (10)
- 1 Sword of Cleaving (10)
120 - 1 Wizard
- 1 Giant Eagle (20)
- 1 Sword of Might (10)
----------------------------------------------------------------
1495 - 12/6

His list was something like:
2 Slayers
Flame Cannon
General
Hero
Rune on Anvil
4 warriors, one of which had the Shield banner
2 Ranger
2 Thunderer
A few magic weapons spread throughout too

After some early maneuvering, my Silverhelms, Eagles and General charged into the Slayers and Flame Cannon. I lose a few silverhelms but wiped out that entire battery. Unfortunately, this made then too vulnerable and my Helms had to start falling back from losing battles against full strength Warriors. My Eagle charged some out of position Rangers from behind, but did jack poo poo and got nearly killed. The Eagles would survive another 3 rounds somehow, playing havoc with his Order rolls.
While I fell back with the Helms on the right flank, he was pushing up hard down the middle. I managed to set up a line of archers with a Mage to support them, and got lucky enough to Drive Back his Shielded warriors. Then another unit advanced a bit further, only to take a whopping 18 shots of fire (literally in some cases, I had the dragon general supporting here) and be forced to Rout off the board. This delayed him long enough for my spears lead by the hero to charge in on the left. They did some damage, but got beaten back after destroying some Thunderers. Meanwhile the units he had chasing my cavalry clashed with my line on the right flank. I had some archers get super lucky shooting at charging rangers, and nearly destroyed the entire unit while being reduced to one stand as well.

In the end, a final push on the left brought him below breaking, and the game came down to me having 415 points from kills and him scoring 405. I got +100vp from holding the village, but it was incredibly close. All in all, really fun and we'll definitely be trying it some more in the future. My main takeaway is that Dwarf Warriors are a BITCH to kill, especially with that drat shield banner.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Does anyone have any experience with the Siege rules in Warmaster? My friend and I have been trying out scenarios to learn the game, and we're planning to give sieges a try later this week and I was wondering if there are any common flaws or pitfalls to be aware of when designing the scenario.

The current idea is for there to be a mountain fort defended by the Empire (2000 points). In the valley in front of the fort, there's an outpost or village or some defensible-but-not-too-much point that the Empire needs to defend as well. The Chaos Dwarfs (3000 points) are attacking through the valley, and have to take the fort to win. If they take the outpost/village/whatever, they get 1000 points of reinforcements coming from the other side - behind the fortress wall. This is to represent the dwarfs finding some secret Underway or goat path or something and sneaking in a strike force. If the Chaos Dwarfs take the keep, they win. If the Empire holds the keep at the end of turn 8, they win. The Empire cannot break, and the Chaos Dwarfs only break after losing 75% rather than 50%.

I'll be playing the Empire and designing the scenario, so I'm trying to avoid favoring myself.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Mordheim suffers (or at least did, when I played it) from three big flaws:

First, the differences in weapons and the various upgrades were tiny. Like you finally get a skill rank increase and it's a 3% boost to your ability to parry, or you can pick between two weapons that deal either 5-9 damage or 6-8 damage. It's meaningless and not very exciting.

Second, some maps just gently caress you over and there's not much you can do about it. I remember an "ambush" map, where the ambushing team is so spread out and the ambushed team so concentrated that it gave a huge advantage to the ambushed team! That's literally the opposite of how that map is described

Third, your team is tracking persistent injuries and has to be cautious or get hosed over, but the enemy teams do not. Despite this, you're pretty evenly matched in each battle, so it feels like a long slow grind to defeat rather than building up to be bigger and bigger badasses.

Hopefully, a Necromunda game will recognize these problems and do something to fix them. Necromunda's way cooler than Mordheim, and it deserves a great video game. Like XCOM. Get the guys who made XCOM.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/23/warhammer-40000-news-from-adepticon/

Tl;dr, a lot of the good stuff from AoS is getting merged into 40k, individual movement values are back, movement trays on tiny Lego wheels.

Literally every single thing they listed there made me go "No, that is a terrible idea stop".
You don't need rules to tell people how to play without points, people can already do that. Your rules should be based around the points system and making a balanced, rigorous rulesystem for that.
Command points sound like they're making Formations even more common. Formations are bad, so more formations=more bad.
Every model has bespoke rules doesn't mean you have to learn fewer rules in order to only cover your models, it means you have to learn WAY MORE rules because you also need to learn the rules for the models your opponents could be bringing.
Save Modifiers COULD work, but will probably end up just making the current armor system worse.
Charge hits first means that initiative is nearly useless, when it was already not a great stat.
And giving every army Unstable just makes no sense, and seems like it would punish low Ld armies way more than is necessary.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

glitchkrieg posted:

Reading that, it really rams home that GW doesn't look to the competition at all. So many other games are ditching USR-per-unit and they've decided to go in the other direction?

Having Universal Special Rules is a good thing (although there are many great wargames with few to no special rules), and having lots of units with them is also fine. This is because they are Universal. Stealth is Stealth, it doesn't matter who gets it or how it's worded on this specific unit, it's just a +1 cover modifier. This is the right way to handle units having special abilities, so that you can understand what your opponent is bringing with just a few key words rather than having to study their entire armybook. The wrong way to do it is the Age of Sigmar madness where every unit with a shield had a slightly different special rule to represent it, or to go back to the bad old days where every "ignore X penalty" or "gain Y bonus" rules had different names and slightly different wordings.

Even stuff like Kings of War has USR, and they have almost no unique per-army rules. This lets them differentiate an Elf from a Human by just saying "The elves all have Elite, the humans don't. Here's the point difference" and having that A)be a meaningful difference you can plan your army and tactics around and B)Have everyone understand exactly what that means without referencing the army list.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Are there any modern skirmish games that have a campaign structure kinda like Necromunda? I.E. persistent roster, customizable equipment, skills, optionally injuries and territory. I know of Frostgrave, but if there are any others I'd love to hear about them

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

So, in most cases it looks like an Avenger Shuriken Catapult, a "masterwork example" is just worse than a regular catapult. Same stats, except that the Avenger variant has +2"range, but no accuracy bonus for close range.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

You've got your +1 - Eldar have already have a BS of 4 as base, which is higher than most basic troopers in the game. The weapon description states that the extended barrel is for range, not improved accuracy.

An Eldar firing a Masterwork Example of a Shuriken Catapult hits on a 3+ at close range. An Eldar firing a regular Shurken Catapult hits on a 2+ at close range, but has a 2" shorter maximum range

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Camo is also good against short-ranged enemies. Tau Pathfinders have an 18" maximum range, which is reduced to 14" by camo. If you have a typical 24" range basic weapon, that gives you a 10" dead zone where you can fire but they can't

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I'm putting together a Shadow Wars list as the Space Marine scouts, and can't decide between starting with two Heavies (to make it easier to grow) and starting with more bodies (to make it easier to survive).

My 2 Heavy list is:
Sarge with Sword+Bolt Pistol+Frag
Scout with Bolter
Gunner with Heavy Bolter
Gunner with Heavy Bolter
Everyone has Camo

But is that even viable with so few people? Would it be better to trade one of the gunners for a handful of Novices?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

How is the Hobbit game? That whole Dwarf range looks amazing but it's Forgeworld so it'll cost a small fortune and I remember when they announced Smaug, the most dazzling and "valuable" of jewel like objects that GW makes to my knowledge. :smaug:

I like it, although it's not without flaws. It's basically the exact same as the LotR wargame, basically serving as another edition. Most of my experience comes from the LotR game, but from the handful of Hobbit games I played it all still holds true.

Pros:
Pretty well balanced, especially for a GW game. There's an actual formula of what various stats are worth, so most rank-and-file troops are priced correctly.
Has a very wide range of stuff, including things not covered in the movies, so you can play as basically anything from lotr post-silmarillion
Rules are straightforward enough that it's easy to learn
Covers everything from heroes to hordes, and doesn't break

Cons:
Things can be really hard to kill. Defense tends to be significantly higher than offense. Good for having a hero face down a horde of goblins, bad when you have 20 guys fighting and one dies per turn.
Shooting is... not very good. Bow shots are weak, and the order of actions means that it's super hard to get off more than maybe one shot, and the way the cover system works means that you're not likely to hit much either
Fight skill is next to useless, Attacks stat is king. The pairing-off system for close combat also means that large fights can take a while
Huge centerpiece models are not good enough to justify the cost, so you'll rarely see Sauron or Smaug pull their weight
They updated Radagast's model to look like the movie. His old model is my favorite representation of him, and the new model has bird poo in its hair

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

From my experience probably 70% of all Historicals players who play a German/Austrian/Prussian (Napoleonic or later) army are, if not Nazis, are Nazi-adjacent or -curious.

Maybe my dear departed old FLGS just had a lot of assholes though.

I used to play Flames of War a lot (Note: I played Germans and am not a Nazi), and my store had a decent sized group of people. About half of them played the Germans, either as a dedicated player or just in the "I have a bunch of armies and can play germans in events so we have balanced teams". None of them were nazis, nazi-adjacent or even nazi-vaguely-sympathetic. While there was one guy who really liked German tanks, it was purely an aesthetic thing rather than a wehraboo or "german tanks were super powerful" thing. Most of the people who played Germans just liked their in-game role and rules. That's why I played them, I really liked Mounted Assault as a rule letting you assault with halftracks and Stormtrooper letting you pull of complex movement tricks other factions couldn't.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

moths posted:

I've run into enough "clean wehrmacht," "Stalin was worse," and "both sides had heroes" creeps to be wary.

It's basically a case where not all Nazi players are racists, but enough racists play Nazis to give you pause.

The biggest clue is the swastikas. Most historical nazi soldiers and tanks didn't have swastikas painted everywhere, so if you run into someone with a swastika-laden army they are much more likely to be actual nazis. Of the german armies I saw at my store, the closest thing to a swastika I saw were HJ (I think) units with little red and white paint dots where the swastika armband should be

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

moths posted:

That's a really good tip! The only swastikas you should expect to see are on DAK trees, Luftwaffe tails, or armbands like the HJ.

Hell, I don't even do it there. I'm not a big historical stickler, so any time I look up what the thing I'm painting is supposed to look like and see it has a swastika, I just replace it with the iron cross. I just don't want any of that baggage

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Wait they kept the stupid no pre-measuring rule? I mean, of course they kept TLOS, that's kinda GWs thing at this point, but no pre-measuring? That seems like a super obvious easy improvement

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Zasze posted:

Even so id rather see them branch out into something different for the next faction, id really like to see some lizard man space pirates :colbert:

They already had space lizardmen, but they lasted even less time than the squats IIRC. They were called the Slann, because everything in fantasy ported directly into 40k

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

hooman posted:

You're right, I missed this in the save section:

2. Opponent makes a Save Roll
If the attacker causes a wound, and the target is equipped
with any armour, the opponent makes a Save Roll.

It is always weird to me that warhammer systems go hit-wound-armor rather than the obviously more sensible hit-armor-wound. Armor should be coming between your fleshy bits and the attack, not being some back up after your skin has failed to tank the bullet

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

moths posted:

It's kind of cool that the Van Saar men are also wearing boob plate. (Pec plate?)

One big difference is that the men are wearing partially-segmented solid armor over their chest. It's a stylized take on a real form of protection.
She is wearing two separate curved sections over her breasts. They are not connected, and leave the center completely unguarded. It is way worse, although not as bad as some other boobplates. That is a really low bar though, and not an excuse

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

SpikeMcclane posted:

Did he even see that movie? Holdo was the most competent person in the movie.

A) Really, really, staggeringly low bar
B) I will defend grumpy Luke to my dying breath

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Pendent posted:

Everything involving Luke in that movie basically owned but the scene where he milked the aliens and then when Yoda burned the tree down were particularly excellent, albeit for very different reasons.

That's a problem I have with judging the movie. Every moment when Luke and/or Yoda was there was fantastic. Almost every other moment was awful.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I really hope there is something that stands out as a weakness for the Van Saar. They're my favorite gang to play, and I'd rather not feel bad about using them

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

JcDent posted:

Chuck grenades everywhere and at everything, because rolling for ammo and maybe for random deviaton on every shot is fun and amazing.

In old necromunda I made an Orlock gang that was 100% explosives. Every unit had at least a grenade, heavies were rocking grenade launchers and missiles. Some guys only had grenades. That was a very fun gang to play, but suuuuper unreliable.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I've been reading the rules, and am confused with a point on the Tactics Cards. People keep saying that Click and Lucky Find are counters to each other and balance out, but you don't seem to have significant control over your hand in a lot of missions, with the defender almost never being able to choose their cards. Are people house ruling tactics cards to give more choice, or are they just hoping to draw a Lucky Find if their opponent drew Click? Or am I just completely missing something?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

At least Kill team will (should) be just a book.

I'm wondering if this new game is built on the NM rule set.

The door/terminal combination for the terrain is very similar to how N17 does it, so probably at least superficially similar

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Why is the spaceship assassin based with grass?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

How weird that a game with very little shooting and a lot of H2H would end up with most of the models ending up in the middle of the table in a scrum... Oh wait - WFB was the exact same way, except everyone was in neat blocks, rather than piled in, 40K style.

Yeah no. WFB would usually feature a battle in the middle, sure, but would also feature more than one focal point as blocks maneuvered for flank charges or break through to fragile ranged units. I played WFB a lot, and I don't remember a single battle where more than half of the action was just a melee in the middle. AoS sucks

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

Someone snagged some pictures of the Cawdor sprue at the recent Open Day.

Does the Cawdor book have a release date yet? I'm looking to start a Necromunda league, and am wondering if it's worth waiting for that

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

So I'm going to be running an arbitrated campaign of the new Necromunda soon. A few of the players played old necromunda a couple times, and I've played it a lot, but none of us have any experience with the new system. Any advice or house rules you'd suggest? Also, do you know of anywhere with additional scenarios beyond what's in the compiled pdf?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Shadin posted:

It absolutely doesn't. Since they're British it's obvious that they were going for a medieval executioner.

Actually it's the capirote, especially the kind worn during the spanish inquisition by various holy orders and groups.

While that model specifically also draws on a lot of executioner trappings - the axe and the studded leather specifically - Cawdor as a whole are based on the capirote.

During the second wave of the KKK, the organization adopted a uniform based on the capirote and made their money selling uniforms to members. So the Cawdor gang uniform and the KKK uniform are based on the same origin, but the Cawdor aren't directly traced back to the KKK.

White+Red capirotes aren't even exclusive to the KKK, but you are totally justified in assuming anyone who brings a white and red Cawdor gang to be a racist rear end in a top hat. I'm very fine with the Cawdor resembling the KKK like this, because it makes it super easy to tell who the assholes I should refused to play with are.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

How would their hobbits look as ratlings in 40k?

Not great, honestly. I was never a fan of the SB hobbits

Especially since they're all wearing rustic clothes and holding farm equipment, other than the Big Four Hobbits, which doesn't mesh well with 40k's look

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

TheBigAristotle posted:

Do people post in here about the Middle Earth game, or does it have a thread?

I remember when it first came out as LotR game, played it a bit in high school.

Pretty sure it counts, so you can discuss it here. I played a bit a couple years ago, really liked the White Council hero faction

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Hedningen posted:

Looking into Warmaster, and I thought I’d ask my dumb questions here because there seems to be a few goons who know their poo poo.

1. What’s the general scale for non-GW stuff? I see that the original is 10mm, but I know a lot of good suppliers in 6mm (and am slowly working on learning to sculpt in that scale).
  2. Are folks generally good with the various proxy armies, or if I’m interested, should I start hunting stuff down?
  3. Chaos Dwarfs - I’ve seen a list somewhere, but were they ever officially supported?

Kinda want to start sculpting some tiny helldwarf warmachines, hence the last one.

1) 6mm or 15mm are the most common. As long as you use consistent bases, the mini scale doesn't matter much
2) Warmaster is a dying/dead game for the most part. Almost nobody should care if you use proxies or third party
3) I don't know about official, but there's the Trial Armies 2009 document which is what I've used a few times in the past. It works fine

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Springfield Fatts posted:

This might not be the right thread, but does anyone have any idea how Warmaster stacks up against Kings of War? Weird question, I know, but I did a 10mm KoW army a while back and I'm trying to recruit some people in my area and wondering which will be easier for a group that's never gamed at all.

I think KoW would be easier to get into for complete novices, but that Warmaster is the better game overall.

Specifically, Warmaster suffers from a "problem" where it's possible to get really unlucky and just not be able to do things (rather than just missing or failing to wound or whatnot). For new players who aren't used to managing risk and planning ahead such that missing a move isn't a big deal, this can feel very bad. Once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad, but I'd be worried about new players bouncing off the order system.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

What's the issue with overseer? Haven't managed to get a game going more than one session so far. And what's your house ruled replacement?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

I'm starting a Book of Judgement Law and Misrule campaign soon, with six gangs. Does anyone have any advice regarding the campaign, or problems they've run into with it?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

What’s that in American funbux moondollars? :shepspends:

About $120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Actually that's one thing these guys brought up, that SoB are the female marines, and if we so much want female Space Marines, then we should have male Sisters of Battle as well.

Sisters of Battle aren't Marines though. They're normal humans in power armor, which is very different from genetic supersoldiers. Also, the lore reason why the Sisters of Battle exist as an all-female military branch is great and worth keeping. We should get female Marines and no male Sisters