Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

moths posted:

Oh heck yes. Alternating activations, new stat blocks, divorced from 40k rules, lots of good here.

This sounds a lot like Warcry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Anvilgard's got a thematic focus on classic Dark Elf units, and a mechanical focus on their Monster units.

There's Har Kuron that's a variant city that limits you to only the Dark Elf units, with the kicker that you can add in Daughters of Khaine units in without worrying about the ally rules.
Yeah, in lore, Anvilguard was conquered by Morathi and transformed into Har Kuron and now they can only use units with the keywords DARKLING COVENS, ORDER SERPENTIS, SCOURGE PRIVATEERS, and SHADOWBLADES; along with the 1 in 4 of Daughters of Khaine units instead of Stormcasts. Anvilguard rules are still legal as there's still a big resistance movement.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

One of the things I really like about the new season of WHU is the "rivals" format:

quote:

The upcoming season also introduces a new play style that lets you join in the fun straight out of the box. The new Rivals format makes Warhammer Underworlds more accessible than ever by using pre-made decks – you’ll be able to pick up a warband and jump straight in, safe in the knowledge that your deck is just as good as your opponents.

This should have been done with Direchasm... but hey, better late than never.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I tried Raging Heroes once, never again. Quality is not even close to GW's and a lot of the figures are flat, like really flat.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

M2O, shipping in May or later for some parts of the world, back with expansions later in the year. Don't buy CC unless you really want the models.

Cursed City is a Trojan horse game. It's ok to begin and even really fun occasionally. It gets really bad. It's like a uni group project and the students only communicated once a month for 30 seconds, but it's deadline so turn in your work. Nothing hangs together, its systems fight each other, it rambles forever to hit word count.
Someone made a full variant with some good fixes at BGG. I've played it with those rules and now there's no other way to play it for my group:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2642992/first-impressions-fixes-and-additional-content

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Squibsy posted:

So is it actually good with these tweaks? Or just less bad?
"Playable", I'd say. Still nothing close to the best dungeon crawlers.

That variant has become a community effort, so they may tweak more stuff.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Covermeinsunshine posted:

Considering track record of total war series the fact that warhammer ones were good must have been a shock to multiple people (and neither part of that trilogy was good from the get go so there is that)
Man, I hope they do something with TW:W3, because it has been a very rough start... worse than the others.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Muir posted:

The Rivals decks that you can't buy are also no longer Rivals/Nemesis format-legal. They cut out all the White Dwarf Rivals decks and Silent Menace. It's just the one Harrowdeep, one Nethermaze, and two Gnarlwood Rivals decks now.
And I thank them for that. Most of the people that used to play locally (before COVID) are getting back into the game with Gnarlwood.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Muir posted:

How should I go about designing a first Warcry war band or two? I will also probably get Sundered Fate.
Rules for Warcry are free, you can check them here:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/lWKyFJUKEGebDukF.pdf

And of course, the profiles (including points) are also free, you can check every Stormcast fighter here:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/jaXXd2gzZI16IpyN.pdf

And Destruction fighters are here:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/3vzCJunT7paxw0ds.pdf

With 1000 points as standard, Warcry warbands are smallish. I play Stormcasts and I'm lucky to squeeze seven or eight fighters into a list, I usually just use six fighters. You have more than enough for a few warbands.

Talas fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 22, 2022

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Muir posted:

What strategic considerations should I take in mind when designing the warbands?
I usually have a mix of punch and speed. I'd say that the latter is a little more important as you'll need some board control depending on the mission. I usually have a Lord-Imperatant for distance and support, Gryph-hounds for speed, Vindictors for general use, and Annihilators for punching and being punched.

Stormcasts usually have high toughness, so I don't worry too much about that, still, a lone warrior can get easily ganged up, so be careful about it.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I want to give a big fat warning to people getting AoS underworlds, in this case gnarlwood and direchasm, be very careful with pushing the pegs of the figures into the holes, the plastic is much more fragile than you expect and the way the models are cast means that weak points are located either on or around the pegs, I almost accidentally broke one of the legs of the skeleton knights (thank gently caress I noticed the bend starting before it was too late) and let me tell you the neighbors had a great time listening to the shriek I let out.

I think I’ll settle for glue thanks.
I already snip pegs from way before, but yes, I can see how the legs of the skellies are quite vulnerable, but they are just so pretty. Can we see yours when you finish? These are mine:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Also dont forget Deployment can now be done in groups, you split your kill team into three equal (as possible) groups and alternate deploying them instead of one-by-one. makes things much faster.
Uh? Isn't that exactly like Warcry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I dunno but a week ago the rules were that each person alternates deploys INDIVIDUAL fighters now you can deploy groups at a time.
Oh, interesting. In Warcry, each player divides their warband into three drops – dagger, shield, and hammer (these have to be equal numbers or close enough) and put them around different deployment zones, depending on the mission. This means that you start with your force split up, and you’ll need to think about what goes in which drop and how that affects your ability to complete the objectives. And not only the zones are different, but the timing is also different, so sometimes you only start with one group and the others join at the start of another turn, usually the second.