Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

ATG, or Advanced Tactics Gold is basically a turn based WW2 wargame simulator where you fight on any number of scenarios or generate random ones then refight not-WW2. It features both strategic (production, resources, oil, research, diplomacy) and tactical play (pushing counters around.) It looks something like this...

A previous LP involving goons eventually died after everyone drifted away but the thread is preserved here. Generation internet also had a LP from his perspective of the game here. Worth a read for the colossal backstabbiness and subsequent comeuppances received mostly by me and Phi230, it's worth noting mine starts several turns later than his.

So get ready to watch as Goons pile onto each other and war consumes the not-1940's Earth.

:siren:Volunteers are needed for 5 positions to play in this game:siren:

You need:
- A copy of ATG (~5-10 bux on steam).
- To hopefully be able to play a turn multiple times per week to keep it moving (~30min a turn).
- To use a Discord I will set up to plan/co-ordinate with your allies and pass around the turn file.
- To experience the trauma of being booted from this thread once the game starts.

Experience with ATG is not strictly necessary but helps.

So here you can see the sides. The map also wraps East-West so for example Boston/Germania share a border.

As of now all sides have roughly equal tech, industrial capability and standing armies (greatly increased from the default to shorten the delay before war) but will get a number choices of how to develop their industry/armies before game start and what special tech they get for their side. Furthermore if you wish to customise a side I will edit the Name/Flag/Color to whatever you want as long as they aren't too obnoxious.

The scenario is one I have custom made and features a slightly tweaked ruleset. Supplying over harsh terrain is now more difficult and tech costs are reduced as well as the changes allowing everyone to customise their factions. As of right now nobody is allied and I expect Goon Diplomacy is going to be absolutely wonderful.

Post in the thread to sign up, pick a side and state any name/side color/flag preferences. Plz no actual Nazis.

Saros fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I'm in if you can wait a week, otherwise feel free to replace me.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Complete newbie to ATG, but I'd like to give it a shot. I'll go with Republic, I guess?

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
In as Germania, and I promise to build some stupid super heavy tanks, eventually.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I don't have this game, but I love me some goon backstabbing. How often do you anticipate updates will be?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I'm hoping for 2x/week or so but it depends how fast the game moves. The LP will lag the game slightly but not so much that I forget what was going on.

VendoViper posted:

In as Germania, and I promise to build some stupid super heavy tanks, eventually.

You don't have to pick Germania for this, I'm going to let everyone pick two of the special techs as part of the initial setup. Don't forget you can customise your empires name etc.

Saros fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 10, 2017

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

I'm down for ATG action.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

While we are waiting for more signups I will post the initial choices the players have. Players please make your selections by posting in the thread.

Custom Nation:
You can pick a name, flag (please point me to an image to use) and side color for your nation.

Unique tech:
You can select two of the following unique technologies for your nation to be bessed with.

Superheavy Tank & V Weapons: Super (expensive) tanks and long range missiles, whats not to love?
Fanatic pilots: Devastating Kamikaze suicide planes for use against ships.
Fortification focus: Allows building of both very cheap fortification and very strong fortresses as well as normal fortifications.
Militia recruitment: Allows you to build MIlitia, much cheaper than normal infantry but not quite as good.
Ranger recruitment: Allows building of more expensive Ranger infantry who have very good experience and morale.
Partisan theory: Allows building of Guerilla units who slide through bad terrain with ease and can operate longer while cut off.
Katyushka: Deadly single shot rocket artillery, cheap and disposable.

Infrastructure focus:
You can pick one of the following to improve throughout your nation. Watch out though, an invader can take advantage of your infrastructure as well!

Railways and Logistics focus: Railways are your primary supply routes and are sparse to start, select this to start with your supply lines right up to the front lines, more interconnectivity within you nation as well as and extra 10 trains to begin with (+50% increase).
Airfield focus: You have a well developed air infrastructure within your nation and there is an excess of airfields available, you also start with an Oilfield upgraded to level 2.
Defensive focus: You have a significant set of border fortifications and your rail routes are designed to hinder an invader with many destroyable bridges and a lack of routes through rough terrain.

Resource focus:
All nations have access to four raw resources and four oil wells, all level one. You can pick three of them to upgrade to level two which greatly increases output.

Factory focus:
All nations will start with two factories which can be chosen from the following list (can choose the same twice).

-Artillery factory
-Tank factory
-Aircraft factory
-Shipyard (pease indicate which coast you want it built on).

Strategic reserve:
You start with two corps of units in your strategic reserve, please pick two of the following (you can pick the same thing twice and all are roughly the same production cost.).

-Infantry + Artillery
-Mechanised Infantry
-Armor
-Airforce offensive
-Airforce defensive

Discord:

Spectators
Players

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 10, 2017

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

I'm going to go with Empire and I'd like my nation's color to be purple. Will edit the other choices into my post once I've figured out what I want to do.

jzilla fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 10, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I've somehow ended up in the chat room for your Decisive Campaigns game

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
It looks like you have 5 players, so I will volunteer as a sub.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

I've somehow ended up in the chat room for your Decisive Campaigns game

Same server, I just need to set the permissions correctly once people join so the players can't see the spectators chat.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Okay looks like we have enough players.

Saros - ?
dtkozl - ?
HannibalBarca - Republic
VendoViper - Germania
Jzilla - Empire
Habituallyred - ?

Can everyone join the discord, select their empire and make the pregame selections outlined above so I can modify the scenario with them and get teh game ready to start.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Are the selections meant to be public or should we DM them to you?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Either is fine by me. Unless people really want to do it differently i'm going to be running the game with "Shroud off", "Fog of War" on so once the game starts you will be able to see infrastructure/hex improvements in hostile territory (but not units, this is for the LP so it's easier to keep tabs on what's up with the other players). The only really secret bit will be what sort of reserves and special tech you choose.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 11, 2017

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Choices locked in. I am trying to get over a cold and not feeling very clever, if anyone has a good idea for a funny name and flag for me, I am open to ideas. Otherwise going to be stuck with whatever the default is.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I would like to claim Boston, the rest of the details have been sent secretly.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Here are my choices.

Unique tech:

Fortification focus
Ranger recruitment

Infrastructure focus:
Airfield focus

Resource focus:

2 Raw Upgraded and 1 Oil Well

Factory focus:

-Aircraft factory
-Shipyard , near Nanning

Strategic reserve:

-Infantry + Artillery
-Airforce offensive

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Okay so we have the final selections.

Saros - Free Flanders (previously Burgundy; This time Belgium gets to do the invading right?
dtkozl - Bey Watch (previously The Emirate); uhhhhh
HannibalBarca - Permian Republic; All you really need to know is their national drink is made from lichen.
VendoViper - Germania; German, manic, sadly lacking Belgian borders.
Jzilla - The Empire; no not that Empire.
Habituallyred - Freedonia (previously Boston); where freedom is not free.

I'll try get the preferences edited in and the game rolling tomorrow.

Saros fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 12, 2017

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
When you don't pay attention then truly nothing is written.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The Freedonian Diplomatic Corps would like to invite The Permian Republic and the Empire to strategic talks. We do not share any land borders, and would rather not pour resources into the endless drain that is the sea.

As for our neighbors on land we hope the arrival of our new ruler, Rufus T. Firefly, can finally put an end to our border disputes. We would like to present him with a quick summary of our past disputes, and some proposals on how to bring peace to our fair continent.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The first turn is rolling out so can all the players please check the discord for the file.

--------------------From this point the LP is closed to the other players, out with you! --------------------

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

1 May 1936; Turn 1

So the turn begins.

I have a decent stockpile of supplies now. I also chose to upgrade two Raw and one Oil resource as part of the starting option.

The overall map looks like this (the map wraps east-west):

[Key]

I am the yellow not-france and have the misfortune to border everyone somewhere except Germania. For the starting options I took:
Resources: 2 Raw, 1 Oil
Infrastructure: Fortifications
Factories: A Gun factory and a Shipyard (in the south by Lille)
Tech: Fort theory and Guerilla
Reserves: An offensive air and an armor corps

Moves:
Not a lot to do this turn except prepare for war.

This is my immediate borders with the other empires marked, I have a small army guarding the borders and theirs is about equivalent in strength on all fronts.

Engineers head out via train and truck to the various resource sites that still need upgrading. I'm hemmoraging Raw with all my expensive Train/ship production.

First up I spend some PP (everyone started with a reserve of 100) to get better machineguns and upgrade my troops to them. They are excellent defenders and should help a lot if someone gets frisky with the starting armies.

Then I get the industry cranking, more trains and political points are the two big buys but I get some infantry and armored cars going and a few more fighters.

Overtures of peace from the Permian Republic. I agree with him there isnt much gain in us fighting over our relatively small border and I doubt i'll be going on any adventures his way soon. I haven't decided on my first victim opponent, I guess we shall see how things shake out.

I will try do a rundown on the opponents and what I know of them when I have time.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 4, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
You're not going to give blue a strip of coast so they can at least theoretically physically access Taganrog? You could do it without taking away any resources from the other player.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Supply, builds etc freely flows between non-interdicted cities/ports so it doesn't make a lot of difference. The game has started now anyway so the point is a little moot.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Watching this with interest - I've loved both aborted LPs so far!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

1 June 1936; Turn 2

This months production. Nothing surprising.

Perm seems comitted to this peace thing or is a lot more worried about his border with the Empire. Not a troop in sight.

More worrying is the border with Freedonia, a lot of unit counters have poopped into existence, I am hoping they are empty ones he is planning to fill or he may have sent his whole reserve force this way. I divert part of my reserves and new construction (3SF - 3 light tank divisions) and give them a crappy leader I generated who only has a small max staff number. You dont want to exceed that max staff number on a leader or they gain only 1/10 of their normal experience from fighting and thus never get levels which give them the ability to lead more staff and various bonuses.

The Empire border is probably our least naturally defensible and has the key canal system which allows us access to multiple seas so I create another corps (7SF) and assign it enough production to fill out a rifle and light tank div.

Incidentally my unit compositions are in the previous LP and haven't changed hugely other than some tweaks here and there.

Production, I concentrate on geting some more rifle div's out to fill in gaps and more PP so I can keep upgrading infrastructure.

Overall map.

Looks like a message he probably sent to everyone.

I had enough fighting dtkozl in the last game where he was Cairo and i'd rather not get right into it this time!

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 4, 2017

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I'll be watching this with interest and enjoying the carnage from the outside :)

Build battleships. Always more battleships :japan:

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Someday I'll finish school and start playing games where people depend on me to do turns quickly. In the mean time, looking forward to this. Those are some interesting borders and should make for some fun politics.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

An foreign review: dtkozl.

dtkozl is the only one in this game I have played before. He was a competent ATG player and did an excelent job of munching through Das Reich's western front in the last game before I was forced to divert basically all my production and reserves to stabilise the front. His preferred attacking unit was 4x custom light tanks and a bunch of ride along infantry, a powerful unit especiall when he could get three of them onto a single hex. We eventually stalemated with me threatening one of his cities with artillery destruction and the rest of the line dug in into rough terrain. Probably the most experienced other player so I
definitely want to avoid any entanglements with him this time around (the rest of the players are fairly new I think).

dtkozl seems to have picked airfield upgrades for his territory plus an artillery factory and a shipyard.

Saros fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 16, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

Build battleships. Always more battleships :japan:

A bunch of people chose shipyards as a starting factory so fingers crossed!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Looks like if anyone has the most to gain from a navy it's you with control of the canal, but you also have a massive land border to defend.

As I painfully learned the first conflict will all come down to diplomacy so I'm really curious to see how that shakes out, looks like you could go pretty much any direction.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

^^Yeah my first priority is to avoid any sort of many-people-vs-me setup rather than stake out a particular victim. Ideally I can goad some other people to going to war first and I kind of want to avoid a 3v3 just from the lower level of excitement it would provide the LP. The ideal case would be multiple different wars which also benefits me as I feel fairly confident about my ability to win a 1:1 as most of the players aren't too experienced.

1 June 1936; Turn 3

No surprises here, should probably invest more in an airforce.

Not a lot to report, I move up some freshly formed rifle divs to the other Bey watch border and send the light tanks towards the Freedonia border I will save some PP and upgrade some oil, a raw to level 3 or buy a factory, maybe a tank factory.

dtkozl responds ambivalently.

I test the waters to see how he bites.

With Perm republic things are going well, we agree to be buddy-friends for now with the possibility of more later.

I also offer an agreement to ease the Empire's mind a bit, no response which makes one wonder slightly and I decide to invest in a bit more of a presence there.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 4, 2017

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah, chiming in to say the canal placement in this map is absolutely nuts. I'm guessing you'll throw fortifications up on each crossing point, although that strategy only hinders Beywatch and The Empire. Is the random map generation usually this bonkers?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Saros posted:

and I decide to invest in a bit more of a presence there.
What could go wrong? No way they could see more troops there as aggression, right?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

What could go wrong? No way they could see more troops there as aggression, right?

If they're not going to talk to me I cant be held responsible for what paranoia may or may not make me do!

Triskelli posted:

Yeah, chiming in to say the canal placement in this map is absolutely nuts. I'm guessing you'll throw fortifications up on each crossing point, although that strategy only hinders Beywatch and The Empire. Is the random map generation usually this bonkers?

Actually the big one was added manually by me because I figured there should be a way to access the central sea, the map was randomly generated but I edited it heavily to rationalise it a bit and add all the optional extras. I didn't know I was going to end out posessing the canal system of course and end out a target because of it unfortunately.

Also good news (bad news).

Thats a shipyard on the internal sea, I forgot Perm asked me to place it there until just now so either we ally to grant him use of the canals or he's probably going to want to come knocking at some point.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Saros posted:

If they're not going to talk to me I cant be held responsible for what paranoia may or may not make me do!
But they can't be held responsible for what their paranoia may or may not make them do either! :v:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I want to play this game so badly, I have it in my steam cart ready to buy when I next get paid. That said I could totally see myself failing in a hilarious fashion in any sort of multiplayer game.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

If you haven't already try one of the other Decisive campaign games first. They are much more focused and better single player experiences whereas ATG is more of a sandbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Saros posted:

I am really, really looking forward to seeing what "X allied with Y" messages start popping up and whether or not you know about them beforehand. As I recall in the last game it was me taking alliances without really thinking too hard that did me in.

• Locked thread