Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Ugh 44 infantry lost from Air and Artillery strikes alone.

What the, does he not know rails cost Raw?

It looks like he is screening with MIlita and relying on the heavy guns for killing power.

First things first however, I send in the subs against his subs. It's... not that effective.

Next up fighters chase them around but dont actually kill any.

Okay fine.... the Navy comes out to play and again the bloody subs escape! They are very low on readiness however so hopefully we can get them next turn. This whole exercise is a huge waste of fuel however.

Oh great... more subs. Wait, 5th sub division? Fucks sake.

Anyway we pound on some Militia.

and Generation Internets dudes roll over and murder most of them.

Our other artillery battery hammers the forts and they break leaving the troops there in disarray.

Our tanks and infantry of 4th army under the command of Fray then cross the river and throw them out of the hex.

Huzzah for the conquering hero!

Finally Frankenfreak and GI team up to take a third hex with another river crossing.

Huzzah!

Our airforce gives his northern Militia unit a beating to stop them helping with any counter-attacks.

TildEath (blue HQ) brings in his unitss from the Bey Watch border to hold the line while the others advance.

Two massive HQ's are spotted in the east.

At last GI gets enough XP for level 1!

Overall the war seems to be going alright.

A few more troops showed up on the Empire border today which is a cause for some more unease.

Freedonia gets a wee taunt.

Given our advance so far Flanders HQ requests Guidance from command whether they should strike towards Dundee, advance on Norwich or concentrate on destroying Freedonian troops. Thread, Please vote!

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
As a (bad) tactician it seems that taking Dundee would be a good choice, and also give Bey Watch a good opportunity to show if they are truly your allies by advancing on the enemy from their side.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I would support Dundee as the target. Looking at the map though it might make sense to try to advance to near Norwich anyway to take up positions along that river. Figure that would give you a good, somewhat defensible position for your flank.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Thoughtless posted:

As a (bad) tactician it seems that taking Dundee would be a good choice, and also give Bey Watch a good opportunity to show if they are truly your allies by advancing on the enemy from their side.

As an even worse tactician, I support destroying the Freedonian army and then advancing wildly in all directions.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Unless you can rope Bey Watch into opening a second front, I'd say aiming for Dundee and splitting Freedonia in twain sounds like a good goal.

e: Although aiming for the artillery factory, Cambridge and the raw resource near it might be slightly better in terms of impacting Freedonia's capacity to fight this war.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 26, 2017

Engblad
Sep 13, 2012
Start by advancing towards Norwich, not necessarily capturing the city but rather to seize the western bank of the river, you can then roll upp the river towards Dundee. During this, the destruction of enemy combat units is of utmosy importance.
Yeah, I just said I wanted all three options, sue me!
As an addendum, we'd be hard pressed for supply if we do not seize the transport hub by Freedonia's oil field.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

The Dundee route looks a lot more strategically valuable due to seizing the oil, arty factory, and rail junctions. Right now you just need to get your highly mobile formations past him into more open terrain. He'll have a very hard time dealing with your armor once you're no longer constrained by these rivers and the tight front.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Given the performance of your navy and air force, I think the only way you'll be able to take care of those subs is to cut off all their ports, so I say take Norwich.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Are the subs even a big enough threat to worry about and big enough to guide the course of the land war? To me, it looks like they're mostly an annoyance anyway.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Could you bring Bey Watch into the war by offering him Dundee? If the Empire is thinking of getting aggressive, an ally would be useful.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

dublish posted:

Could you bring Bey Watch into the war by offering him Dundee? If the Empire is thinking of getting aggressive, an ally would be useful.

Yeah, and you might start talking to Perm as well. He probably has more interest in what Empire is up to than Freedonia.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Me and Perm have an agreement to get involved if the empire attacks either of us so that's why I feel confident enough to strip the empire front of most of its tanks. He's nervous about Bey Watch but after some talking I think I have him convinced that Dtkozl has designs elsewhere. As for dtkozl he has been hinting about mobilising to go after Freedonia so hopefully that will coalesce.

Subs are an annoyance only, they are scouts and wreak havoc on supply lines so unless I perform an amphibious op they aren't going to achieve much. I have been considering a putting together a landing around his capital, Boston however but the numbers of subs means it would be difficult to keep supplied.

A lot hinges on how he reacts, he should really fall back to the second river line and focus on producing more tanks/AT guns or go all in on dive-bombers but he may try to turn the south side of my advance, attacking GI's mech-inf using his few tanks and the infantry he has to spare. Next turn I should be able to get an airfield up and a bridge over the first river which will allow me to bring forward the real tank divisions as they will be recovered from their train transport.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

A counterattack against GI might hurt, but the next turn you can counter-counter-attack with your fresh armor divisions so maybe it's for the best.

I think his plan was to use those lovely militia units as sacrificial buffers while his artillery does everything. Unfortunately for him, arty does jack to armor. Looks like he intended the 14th militia to be his anchor since he gave them forts and lots of guns. Too bad you didn't give a gently caress and just smashed it easily!

Fray fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 26, 2017

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I feel like focusing on destroying his army is more useful right now without knowing if there's any backroom dealing going on between Freedonia and anybody else.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Definitely deplete his army strength first. That will show up in the casualty reports - which everyone can see - so other people might suddenly find it attractive to target him as well.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Tactical genius that I am, pushing to the river on the pink line looks like a decent non-committal way to advance since you'd end up in a defensible position without overextending while also being just a tile off from severing Freedonia in two on that railway junction.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

If our neighbour to the north is willing to open a front, tell them you can hand them a raw and an oil and a city,

If they seem non-commital, go for that oil and Norwich

Engblad
Sep 13, 2012
Doing too well might sway others to intervene, a slow grind until the others are too deep in their respective conflicts might be a thing? Then again, doing poorly can lead to the same thing.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah it's a conundrum with games like this. Do too well everyone will dogpile the opponent, usually taking more territory than you get thanks to you exhausting yourself beating them. Do too poorly you look like a target.

Right now I think I have two borders relatively secure but I need to stir conflict with everyone else or they will invest in more resources and factories leaving me up poo poo creek even if I win as captured cities/territory perform worse than your native territory.

Ideally I can beat Freedonia while still investing in Infrastructure and getting some good generals trained up from the combat (possible, yes; likely.... maybe?)

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

My money is on The Empire joining against you. If Freedonia didn't have a deal with him to begin with, he's probably begging for help now.

Hopefully then Perm and Bey follow through and we'll have a proper world war.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Put me in as a general, please, and call my army The Illuminati

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Freedonia moves; Turn 7 November 1936

Winter hits fast and hard, by the time it is around to Freedonia's move it is snow in the north and mud in the south putting a cramp on action this turn.

The turn begins with huge amounts of artillery beating the absolute poo poo out of Generation Internet's Mech-inf. In a way this is good because artillery has stacking penalties too and 20 batteries is double the limit so the overall effectiveness is way down.

Heavy guns also hit my back line but the forts take most of the punishment.

He storms GI's position but the armored cars and tanks deal out heavy punishment to the attackers before being forced to retreat. Good job boys!

Fighters recon and attack the subs I have snooping off the coast, hilariously we trade 1:1.

Mark II subs then roll up and attack but we manage to slip away, submarines have a decent chance to turn a 'kill' result into a retreat during combat so are drat hard to actually take out except with planes.

He pushes around the flanks of my beachead across the river and you can see where GI's troops were forced to retreat NW.

Saros fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 28, 2017

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Thank God, I'm coming to save GI's bacon.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Our turn :getin:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Whoooole lotta low strength units screening for what looks like the bulk of their forces

e: His disregard for proper use of NATO counters is killing me

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Turn 8; December 1936

The year is winding down fast, Snow in the north and Mud in the south. Mud is terrible news for AFV's and the rains mean airpower cannot fly.

Not bad numbers considering we were on the defensive.

Our hero of the hour hits level one, a pretty bad roll for stat increases but he gets the "HOLD" card which can be played to give infantry under his command defensive bonuses.

First up the front at the start of the turn. Our beachead across the river is looking a little exposed, we better do something about that.

First things first, we put down an airfield behind the lines and a bridge leading to our beachead.

To begin the offensive our own artillery opens up. Frays 1st bde shells the poo poo out of some Militia units.

Frankenfreaks 5th bde does the same on the other flank.

Somewhat recovered GI's 1st div come back for the units who pushed them back before with some help from Frank's 18th rifle. They butcher the disorganised infantry but lose an Armored car detatchment to an ambush by the defending infantry guns (I went digging into the combat report and first combat round the I-gun surprised an AC and killed it before being wiped out by the light tank).

A similar process in the north as GI's 3rd div and Tildeath's 2nd rifle wipe out a bunch more militia.

Turns out the second line is just bunch of engineers and the road/rail means muds movement disadvantages are mostly ignored so the 3rd goes engineer hunting.

Reinforcements stream over the bridge and the second line of MIlitia are over-run by units from GI, Fray and Frankenfreak.

A pretty good push for a Mud turn, thanks for all the rails Freedonia!

10th Army, nicknamed the "Bloody Brussels Sprout" and commanded by Engblad who turned out to be a pretty excellent commander begins forming up, it's formed of artillery transferred from the Empire front and new production units.

Speaking of the Empire we find he has a few destroyers about and the Freedonian subs run away to hide behind them.

"Slaughteriffic"

This loving war kicked off before I could properly stockpile oil or upgrade my oil wells.

Oh and before I forget Fray did enough Militia murdering this turn to hit level 1 and GI has 65/75 of the XP he needs for level 2.

That was a plan? I think he's misunderstanding the point of MIlitia (lovely meat shields for whatever does the actual killing).

We ask nicely for him to rationalise his counters.

The Empire makes reassuring noises but continues to increase his forces. I don't really believe him and am going to have to divert production to that front as it's a bit thin on the ground over there. Ugh, no doubt delaying our inevitable glorious victory over Freedonia.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 4, 2017

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Saros posted:

Our hero of the hour hits level one, a pretty bad roll for stat increases

Tactical genius :smugdog:

Saros posted:

Somewhat recovered GI's 1st div come back for the units who pushed them back before with some help from Frank's 18th rifle. They butcher the disorganised infantry but lose an Armored car detatchment to an ambush by the defending infantry guns (I went digging into the combat report and first combat round the I-gun surprised an AC and killed it before being wiped out by the light tank).

That... actually makes a lot of sense. I was wondering why ~10 readiness infantry units would sometimes kill full readiness vehicles but I like that it's something sensible being modeled.

Saros posted:

That was a plan? I think he's misunderstanding the point of MIlitia (lovely meat shields for whatever does the actual killing).

:psyduck:

If he doesn't get a buddy to bail him out this is gonna be a short war.

As an aside reading this got me playing some games against the AI and reminded me of how much it sucks, if anyone wants to play a casual PBEM game hit me up.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Or it's a ploy to make everyone think he's bad, so they under-defend their borders and then he rolls over them turn 50 or so because they under-defended their borders!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Saros posted:

The Empire makes reassuring noises but continues to increase his forces. I don't really believe him and am going to have to divert production to that front as it's a bit thin on the ground over there. Ugh, no doubt delaying our inevitable glorious victory over Freedonia.

It's not a reassuring noise when he says he could be dragged in on either side.

Engblad
Sep 13, 2012
That is a huge stack on the front railhub. Empire DD's a big threat?

Also, I am happy seeing the Bloody Brussels Sprout being formed.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Please make me a commander, sir!

If my dwarf fortress character from the last SA lp I was in is anything to go by, me and my battalion will be wiped out by some totally arbitrary bullshit within a few turns of being deployed.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Engblad posted:

That is a huge stack on the front railhub. Empire DD's a big threat?

Also, I am happy seeing the Bloody Brussels Sprout being formed.

The DD aren't a real threat as there are only two of them, they're more likely scouts than anything.

The big stack of Empire units are probably some planes as he has an airbase in the hex. I guess I need some air defense over there as well as if I didn't already have enough demands on my production...

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yeah leaving Freedonia a chance out of this embarrassing loss is a good idea in the long term. If nobody joins your tag team and the buildup on the Empire border keeps building, then definitely check the options for peace.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Freedonia moves; Turn 8 Nov 1936

Still mud somehow, that's fairly rare as its often just a single month before winter.

HEY! Uncool, my expensive bridge is destroyed by heavy artillery.

Elsewhre he continues to drop shells all over my poor troops.

Just so many explosions.

Really, no fair.

Finally he sends in his armored force against Generation Internet's and Frankenfreaks light armor but after some brutal fighting they are repulsed with reasonable losses. Mud sucks.

Some cheap forts go down in the gap between hills and river which might complicate my advance until I can get some artillery up to clear them, he also builds rails towards Norwich no doubt intending to bridge the river there. The mud and cramped front has made the fighting so far extremely claustraphobic but if I can force the riverline in my turn things will open up a bit.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 30, 2017

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

You should thank him for all the free rails he's building to all your new cities.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Generation internet disinterestedly conquers Freedonia.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 30, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Turn 9; January 1937

Losses from the enemy turn are deemed acceptable and the army continues to slowly grow despite the uptick in political point production.

Another two of our glorious generals reach level one and Frankenfreak gets a 'hold' card. Once a general has a card he can spend it whenever during his turn for various bonuses, it then has a % chance of reappearing every turn. In this case it is a 25% chance.

Freedonia mocks the Grognard/Mapgoon way of life, pre-empting the thread response we order a general advance with no mercy.

The front before moves, still Mud somehow. The fortified point in the north is heavily defended by tanks ad AT guns so a decision is made to delay an assault untill mud resolves.

Eager to get in on the action the BBS under Engblad opens up on a Freedonian salient.

Tildeath and Fray overrun the position shotly after.

Not quite finished Engblad moves up his other Arty unit (he has two!) and punishes the last ground Freedonia holds on the west side of the river.

The lighter bombardment means GI and Frankenfreaks assault on the position runs into trouble, Frank's infantry panic after taking heavy casualties and retreat but GI's Mech-inf plough grimly onwards through a sea of bodies eventually throwing the Freedonians back over the river.

Further north Fray's fresh arty pounds Freedonian positions that are awash with artillery of all sorts.

Fray and Frank attack with Tildeath trying to assist from the flanks but mud means Tildeath lags behind. The attack is a resounding success however as despite light tank losses to AT guns the artillery positions are overrun and large numbers of AT, Infantry and artillery guns are destroyed!

Tildeath also storms the forts held by the isolated Militia unit, no quarter!

Gen I moves north to threaten the airfield there with a Mech-Inf unit and plays his hold card on it to discourage any attacks.

Overall a pretty good turn, going to have to contend with that hardpoint with the forts at some point and still not much movement thanks to mud.

A new Permian Tank factory is spotted near Kursk, nobody else seems to have put down another factory yet.

Oil remains problematic, hopefully the end of mud and the new oil well I built this turn will help stem the tide.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 4, 2017

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Purely unrelated to the turn above, when do I find this for 5 to 10$ on steam? I've only ever seen it at around 25 of our euros.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It goes on sale semi-regularly for around that price, unfortunately not right now it seems.

Saros fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And it didn't at Christmas because I think I remember looking. I guess I'll wait.

• Locked thread