Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

The Empire's raw spending is just about matching yours, they must be gearing up for an offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I'd like to thank habituallyred daring to actually start a war in this strategic war game. Yeah, I get people want to have time settle diplomatic matters and set up production, but it's not very satisfying to see them doing, from this perspective, what appears to be very little.

Hopefully some time down the road they have a chance to spill some juicy details about whatever they're planning right now.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Saros posted:

Generation internet disinterestedly conquers Freedonia.

:getin:

I can't imagine this is what Freedonia had in mind when he declared war, it looks like you're pretty safe there so I'd be worried about what everyone else is doing and thinking when spring rolls around.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'd like to thank habituallyred daring to actually start a war in this strategic war game. Yeah, I get people want to have time settle diplomatic matters and set up production, but it's not very satisfying to see them doing, from this perspective, what appears to be very little.

Hopefully some time down the road they have a chance to spill some juicy details about whatever they're planning right now.

There's not much point in starting a war if all that happens is you ineffectually flail at each other WW1 style. That said from the sound of the diplomacy going down now it'll probably all dissolve into conflict very shortly.

Triskelli posted:

The Empire's raw spending is just about matching yours, they must be gearing up for an offensive.

Maybe, here is the force charts which isnt necessarily a great indicator of actual combat power as it weights heavily toward sea & masses of infantry but will show a buildup. You can see Dtkozl/bey watch really ramp it up when me and Freedonia go at it. Bear in mind everyone can see the charts and loss totals as well as Freedonia losing ground so if anyone is going to be dogpiled I expect it would be him.

Hopefully I will have stabilied my oil after this turn, the mud sucks as it makes tanks really really greedy consumers.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
I really like games like these, probably not to play myself but rather watch someone else do it. Same as with Dominions 4, the added component of weird player interactions just makes this interesting to follow along.
Your enemies blatant disregard for proper NATO counters is just despicable and I'm glad you're correcting this provocation. On the other hand I'm glad he hasn't given up yet even when losing ground so far.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

In exchange for this painting, Saros is going to steal your house. He will insist he isn't doing so until he locks the door in your face.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Do you get any practical benefits from engaging in an early war, a la the "practical" research levels in hearts of iron? Or is just commander xp?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

1stGear posted:

In exchange for this painting, Saros is going to steal your house. He will insist he isn't doing so until he locks the door in your face.

Friend-Saros only has good intentions

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

As for the mud, you must be in a subtropical climate. Per the manual, subtropical winter is just two turns of mud and no snow. So hopefully next turn you'll be free of it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I am pretty sure that it's set to a fairly northern clime so winter will reach the whole map but who knows. Weather changes partly at random so it may just be low likelyhood rolls giving a longer mud season than normal.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Generation Internet posted:

Friend-Saros only has good intentions

He was very gracious in peace and treaty until I dropped out of our big game.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I see... assuming he's telling the truth I expect Freedonia to freak the hell out about now.

I give Perm a heads up as good neighbours do.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 4, 2017

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Maybe you and dtkozl can make Freedonia capitulate with the following borders:

You'd get your oil, but you'd also be in a good position for future wars since you can shell that city and be in bomber range of another and the artillery factory. He'd have to think very hard before causing you trouble again.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Freedonia moves: Turn 9 January 1937

Snow blankets the whole landscape.

Heavy arty finishes off a pre-war fort on my border.

Fighters also hit GI's troops in the north.

In a familiar sight artillery rains down on our positions in the snow.

We also spot a new tank factory by his oil, weird placement really?

He forces us back with a huge assault but we make him pay for it, GI's mech-inf are cut off against the lake!

Holy poo poo he did it, looks like resistance is light as well as he makes great advances seizing an oil and threatening Woking.

Not much fighting so far.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

It's always the second guy to attack that makes the most profit. Still, watching Freedonia smash against you like it's Verdun mk2 is entertaining. Any potential for a breakout?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

On a scale of 1 to :supaburn: how panicked is Freedonia now?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The turns waiting on him now and has been for a bit so I'm guessing very.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

dublish posted:

On a scale of 1 to :supaburn: how panicked is Freedonia now?

I'd assume around :supaburn: :supaburn: given that he's lost 1 of each resource and Woking in the next few turns.

And to even peace out on the Saros front will cost him a lot.
Nice of him to build you a new tank factory for summer.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ouch, at least we seem to have done a number on his tanks.

Glory be! He now has enough command points for four divisions.

Tildeath gets the 'Charge' card, infantry wave attacks are the future!

Oh dear, one of GI's units is cut off in the snow.

Getting the artillery over the river unfortunately uses up a lot of its turn but it still hits the blocking units.

Frankenfreaks tanks assist GI's infantry in breaking out slaughtering all who stand against them.

Two more waves of artillery move up but its not quite enough to break the forts (22/1000 hp left goddamnit!)

We cobble together what we can to attack but it fails, just. I knew this was a bad idea but needed to break the line asap now the war is going global. We lose 2 tanks and 3 AC but kill a lot of troops, at least the forts are down.

There are no opporunities to attack over the river due to enemy shelling and winter so we content ourselves with lobbing shells around.

Some of Frankenfreak's infantry reinforces GI's unit in the north and is ordered to 'HOLD'.

Uhhmmmm gently caress, goddamnit Frankenfreak!

A new General is generated to take his place in charge of 6ht Army while he recuperates, welcome to ThatBasqueGuy who ended out being a really good commander.

Ugh not the breakthrough I needed to take territory. We still gave significantly better than we got but it's not enough. It does seem like his visible HQ reserves are depleted however.

I spend 28PP and a bunch of supply to upgrade our light tanks. The better HP and AT values will come in handy against whatever his tank factory starts putting out.

Lots of kills still but the tank losses are annoying, still its less than one turn's production from my factory.

Bey Watch gets in on the action in a small way and Freedonia continues to get hammered.

Spending is up across the board.

Total force ratings increase everywhere except me and Freedonia, that can be attributed to me spending all my production on PP and Freedonia getting his rear end kicked.

Bey Watch is trying to bait an unfair fight... Also stealing all Freedonia's territory after I spend all my effort breaking his back.

Freedonia reqponds to my quip about borders and NATO counter and I extend a hand, if he will hand over that factory and oil i'd probably be prepared to peace out because bugger fighting for other people's gains.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Turn 10 Feb 1937; Other players moves

Well holy poo poo things got real mighty quick.

You can see the territory changing hands here, looks like Germania got sneak attacked by Empire and is trying to take that peninsula off Bey Watch.

Freedonia only attacks one hex this turn but he absolutely pours it on. Ugh more bloody losses, at least i'm winning overall.

Saros fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 5, 2017

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That escalated quickly

So does your alliance fire first and put you at war with the Empire or?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

That's actually just an alliance offer, it's worth noting it hasn't been accepted yet so we will see next turn if it's a real offer.

I'm pretty sure alliances only trigger when someone declares war on you so right now even if Germania and Freedonia buddy up I won't be at war with Germania.

Saros fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 6, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Turn 11; 1 March 1937

Snow blankets the landscape making attacks difficult but I decide to try and be clever anyway.

He seems to have moved out everything except a pair of fighters from his airbase, first I send in my own fighters.

Somehow despite 3:1 odds I lose two fighters to none! Ugh. Still they did their job of wearing down the defenders.

Say hello to my new friends.

With his fighters supressed there's nothing to stop the men falling all over the airbase, we destroy the two fighters present on the ground when it falls so air losses even out a bit.

Shells go out from ThatBasqueGuy's artillery.

And two tank divisions slaughter the remainders.

There are a lot of unit stacked up in his old fort zone, I order in the bombers not realising that there is a load of flak buried in the huge pile of units, oops, at least we got some AT guns.

After some more artillery attacks four armored divs are comitted to the attack, it's closer run than it should be (AT GUNS :argh:) but we win and drive back the Freedonian forces.

Not wanting to be left out of the action Engblad and GI go after a hilly hex but the atack is cut to shreds by emplaced AT guns and the hill defensive bonuses :commissar:

Finally GI pushes aside some MIlitia to reach the Paratroopers.

Ugh my poor loving tanks.

At least the front has been widened a bit!

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 6, 2017

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Those tank losses suck. You might want to start being more conservative with your attacks since Freedonia is already done for and you need to keep an eye on the future.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Well there's some good news in that it looks like Germania is getting smashed, the bad news being that people are scheming without including me and that bodes poorly for after this first spasm of war has run its course.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

This was delayed a little by people's travel plans but I should have a new post up tomorrow. Dtkozl is to quote "super jelly" I got to do a paradrop and Perm has said he will be declaring on Germania is 2-3 turns so things are looking up!

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Really enjoying this and looking forward to the next update. You inspired me to buy this game and I'm having the most fun making new TOEs.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Anyone up for a side match?

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007

Fray posted:

Anyone up for a side match?

I'm willing to play.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Freedonia turn 11 Marrch 1937

He's still got loads of artillery.

Ah great more tank losses, at least they put up a good fight.

Elsewhere he just bombs my front line with artillery to hold up our glorious advances.

Bey Watch is seen pushing back light Freedonan units.

Woking is in trouble and it looks like Freedonia is planning to dig in at the riverline.

Well I guess the slog continues.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 17, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Turn 12; 1 April 1937.

Not great but not the end of the world.

:france: Engblad gets a hold card.

Hmm could be troublesome.

Hmm back to mud already, short winter then.

I drop a bunch of artillery all over the front ahead of advances.

Taking the first two barely defended hexes is easy.

Generation Internet smashes backa large number of units but does not occupy the territory due to it being too exposed.

Moderate advances across the front this turn.

Look at all those kills, poor Freedonia.

Elsewhere the combat is much less intense.

There is a drop in force due to all the dead tanks but I bruing another tank factory online this turn to stem the flow.

Oil remains a problem but we have largely stabilised it.

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Looking good with a limited offensive, hopefully you have marshaled enough strength in position to smash his line even after his next artillery volley. Hopefully you will have your armor replacements in place the turn after that to really start some open field running.

Also should we get a discord server going for the side game? I joined the spectator channel linked in this thread.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I can make another separate thread on the channel for whoever wants to join. I'll play as well I suppose.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
When do you want the new game to start? I'd gladly jump in, but I will most likely have to go AWOL for a few days by the end of the month.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Our glorious DC:B Discord being colonized by other wargames :argh:

Engblad
Sep 13, 2012
Embrace the wargames Cryo, they are all of the same flock

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Side game is almost ready to go

Currently we have
Fray
Bozikek
Saros
Tevery Best

Who have indicated they would play. Anyone else interested? I'll make the game and start it midday tomorrow (Saturday) central time US.

In the discord linked earlier in the thread we will communicate and pass turns in channel #atg_other_games.

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?

Bozikek posted:

Side game is almost ready to go

Currently we have
Fray
Bozikek
Saros
Tevery Best

Who have indicated they would play. Anyone else interested? I'll make the game and start it midday tomorrow (Saturday) central time US.

In the discord linked earlier in the thread we will communicate and pass turns in channel #atg_other_games.

I also would like to play.

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007

Dryb posted:

I also would like to play.

Ok your in, dtkozl has joined in the chat as well bringing us to 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Freedonia moves; April 1937

Whooa back to clear weather!

His artillery takes a new tack and targets my artillery parks, tubes are expensive, boooo.

He has a go at my other artillery battery with limited success.

Divebombers come in after the artillery pieces but I have AA and fighters on patrol that cut them to pieces.

Otherwise he re-occupies the taken hex on the line but does not attempt any attacks on my positions.

We see Bey Watch wiping out a few Freedonians in the north but does not appear to push on the riverline.

Freedonia is forced back into Woking elsewhere.

Saros fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 18, 2017

• Locked thread