Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

ATG, or Advanced Tactics Gold is basically a turn based WW2 wargame simulator where you fight on any number of scenarios or generate random ones then refight not-WW2. It features both strategic (production, resources, oil, research, diplomacy) and tactical play (pushing counters around.) It looks something like this...

A previous LP involving goons eventually died after everyone drifted away but the thread is preserved here. Generation internet also had a LP from his perspective of the game here. Worth a read for the colossal backstabbiness and subsequent comeuppances received mostly by me and Phi230, it's worth noting mine starts several turns later than his.

So get ready to watch as Goons pile onto each other and war consumes the not-1940's Earth.

:siren:Volunteers are needed for 5 positions to play in this game:siren:

You need:
- A copy of ATG (~5-10 bux on steam).
- To hopefully be able to play a turn multiple times per week to keep it moving (~30min a turn).
- To use a Discord I will set up to plan/co-ordinate with your allies and pass around the turn file.
- To experience the trauma of being booted from this thread once the game starts.

Experience with ATG is not strictly necessary but helps.

So here you can see the sides. The map also wraps East-West so for example Boston/Germania share a border.

As of now all sides have roughly equal tech, industrial capability and standing armies (greatly increased from the default to shorten the delay before war) but will get a number choices of how to develop their industry/armies before game start and what special tech they get for their side. Furthermore if you wish to customise a side I will edit the Name/Flag/Color to whatever you want as long as they aren't too obnoxious.

The scenario is one I have custom made and features a slightly tweaked ruleset. Supplying over harsh terrain is now more difficult and tech costs are reduced as well as the changes allowing everyone to customise their factions. As of right now nobody is allied and I expect Goon Diplomacy is going to be absolutely wonderful.

Post in the thread to sign up, pick a side and state any name/side color/flag preferences. Plz no actual Nazis.

Saros fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I'm hoping for 2x/week or so but it depends how fast the game moves. The LP will lag the game slightly but not so much that I forget what was going on.

VendoViper posted:

In as Germania, and I promise to build some stupid super heavy tanks, eventually.

You don't have to pick Germania for this, I'm going to let everyone pick two of the special techs as part of the initial setup. Don't forget you can customise your empires name etc.

Saros fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 10, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

While we are waiting for more signups I will post the initial choices the players have. Players please make your selections by posting in the thread.

Custom Nation:
You can pick a name, flag (please point me to an image to use) and side color for your nation.

Unique tech:
You can select two of the following unique technologies for your nation to be bessed with.

Superheavy Tank & V Weapons: Super (expensive) tanks and long range missiles, whats not to love?
Fanatic pilots: Devastating Kamikaze suicide planes for use against ships.
Fortification focus: Allows building of both very cheap fortification and very strong fortresses as well as normal fortifications.
Militia recruitment: Allows you to build MIlitia, much cheaper than normal infantry but not quite as good.
Ranger recruitment: Allows building of more expensive Ranger infantry who have very good experience and morale.
Partisan theory: Allows building of Guerilla units who slide through bad terrain with ease and can operate longer while cut off.
Katyushka: Deadly single shot rocket artillery, cheap and disposable.

Infrastructure focus:
You can pick one of the following to improve throughout your nation. Watch out though, an invader can take advantage of your infrastructure as well!

Railways and Logistics focus: Railways are your primary supply routes and are sparse to start, select this to start with your supply lines right up to the front lines, more interconnectivity within you nation as well as and extra 10 trains to begin with (+50% increase).
Airfield focus: You have a well developed air infrastructure within your nation and there is an excess of airfields available, you also start with an Oilfield upgraded to level 2.
Defensive focus: You have a significant set of border fortifications and your rail routes are designed to hinder an invader with many destroyable bridges and a lack of routes through rough terrain.

Resource focus:
All nations have access to four raw resources and four oil wells, all level one. You can pick three of them to upgrade to level two which greatly increases output.

Factory focus:
All nations will start with two factories which can be chosen from the following list (can choose the same twice).

-Artillery factory
-Tank factory
-Aircraft factory
-Shipyard (pease indicate which coast you want it built on).

Strategic reserve:
You start with two corps of units in your strategic reserve, please pick two of the following (you can pick the same thing twice and all are roughly the same production cost.).

-Infantry + Artillery
-Mechanised Infantry
-Armor
-Airforce offensive
-Airforce defensive

Discord:

Spectators
Players

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 10, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

I've somehow ended up in the chat room for your Decisive Campaigns game

Same server, I just need to set the permissions correctly once people join so the players can't see the spectators chat.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Okay looks like we have enough players.

Saros - ?
dtkozl - ?
HannibalBarca - Republic
VendoViper - Germania
Jzilla - Empire
Habituallyred - ?

Can everyone join the discord, select their empire and make the pregame selections outlined above so I can modify the scenario with them and get teh game ready to start.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Either is fine by me. Unless people really want to do it differently i'm going to be running the game with "Shroud off", "Fog of War" on so once the game starts you will be able to see infrastructure/hex improvements in hostile territory (but not units, this is for the LP so it's easier to keep tabs on what's up with the other players). The only really secret bit will be what sort of reserves and special tech you choose.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 11, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Okay so we have the final selections.

Saros - Free Flanders (previously Burgundy; This time Belgium gets to do the invading right?
dtkozl - Bey Watch (previously The Emirate); uhhhhh
HannibalBarca - Permian Republic; All you really need to know is their national drink is made from lichen.
VendoViper - Germania; German, manic, sadly lacking Belgian borders.
Jzilla - The Empire; no not that Empire.
Habituallyred - Freedonia (previously Boston); where freedom is not free.

I'll try get the preferences edited in and the game rolling tomorrow.

Saros fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 12, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The first turn is rolling out so can all the players please check the discord for the file.

--------------------From this point the LP is closed to the other players, out with you! --------------------

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

1 May 1936; Turn 1

So the turn begins.

I have a decent stockpile of supplies now. I also chose to upgrade two Raw and one Oil resource as part of the starting option.

The overall map looks like this (the map wraps east-west):

[Key]

I am the yellow not-france and have the misfortune to border everyone somewhere except Germania. For the starting options I took:
Resources: 2 Raw, 1 Oil
Infrastructure: Fortifications
Factories: A Gun factory and a Shipyard (in the south by Lille)
Tech: Fort theory and Guerilla
Reserves: An offensive air and an armor corps

Moves:
Not a lot to do this turn except prepare for war.

This is my immediate borders with the other empires marked, I have a small army guarding the borders and theirs is about equivalent in strength on all fronts.

Engineers head out via train and truck to the various resource sites that still need upgrading. I'm hemmoraging Raw with all my expensive Train/ship production.

First up I spend some PP (everyone started with a reserve of 100) to get better machineguns and upgrade my troops to them. They are excellent defenders and should help a lot if someone gets frisky with the starting armies.

Then I get the industry cranking, more trains and political points are the two big buys but I get some infantry and armored cars going and a few more fighters.

Overtures of peace from the Permian Republic. I agree with him there isnt much gain in us fighting over our relatively small border and I doubt i'll be going on any adventures his way soon. I haven't decided on my first victim opponent, I guess we shall see how things shake out.

I will try do a rundown on the opponents and what I know of them when I have time.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 4, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Supply, builds etc freely flows between non-interdicted cities/ports so it doesn't make a lot of difference. The game has started now anyway so the point is a little moot.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

1 June 1936; Turn 2

This months production. Nothing surprising.

Perm seems comitted to this peace thing or is a lot more worried about his border with the Empire. Not a troop in sight.

More worrying is the border with Freedonia, a lot of unit counters have poopped into existence, I am hoping they are empty ones he is planning to fill or he may have sent his whole reserve force this way. I divert part of my reserves and new construction (3SF - 3 light tank divisions) and give them a crappy leader I generated who only has a small max staff number. You dont want to exceed that max staff number on a leader or they gain only 1/10 of their normal experience from fighting and thus never get levels which give them the ability to lead more staff and various bonuses.

The Empire border is probably our least naturally defensible and has the key canal system which allows us access to multiple seas so I create another corps (7SF) and assign it enough production to fill out a rifle and light tank div.

Incidentally my unit compositions are in the previous LP and haven't changed hugely other than some tweaks here and there.

Production, I concentrate on geting some more rifle div's out to fill in gaps and more PP so I can keep upgrading infrastructure.

Overall map.

Looks like a message he probably sent to everyone.

I had enough fighting dtkozl in the last game where he was Cairo and i'd rather not get right into it this time!

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 4, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

An foreign review: dtkozl.

dtkozl is the only one in this game I have played before. He was a competent ATG player and did an excelent job of munching through Das Reich's western front in the last game before I was forced to divert basically all my production and reserves to stabilise the front. His preferred attacking unit was 4x custom light tanks and a bunch of ride along infantry, a powerful unit especiall when he could get three of them onto a single hex. We eventually stalemated with me threatening one of his cities with artillery destruction and the rest of the line dug in into rough terrain. Probably the most experienced other player so I
definitely want to avoid any entanglements with him this time around (the rest of the players are fairly new I think).

dtkozl seems to have picked airfield upgrades for his territory plus an artillery factory and a shipyard.

Saros fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 16, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

Build battleships. Always more battleships :japan:

A bunch of people chose shipyards as a starting factory so fingers crossed!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

^^Yeah my first priority is to avoid any sort of many-people-vs-me setup rather than stake out a particular victim. Ideally I can goad some other people to going to war first and I kind of want to avoid a 3v3 just from the lower level of excitement it would provide the LP. The ideal case would be multiple different wars which also benefits me as I feel fairly confident about my ability to win a 1:1 as most of the players aren't too experienced.

1 June 1936; Turn 3

No surprises here, should probably invest more in an airforce.

Not a lot to report, I move up some freshly formed rifle divs to the other Bey watch border and send the light tanks towards the Freedonia border I will save some PP and upgrade some oil, a raw to level 3 or buy a factory, maybe a tank factory.

dtkozl responds ambivalently.

I test the waters to see how he bites.

With Perm republic things are going well, we agree to be buddy-friends for now with the possibility of more later.

I also offer an agreement to ease the Empire's mind a bit, no response which makes one wonder slightly and I decide to invest in a bit more of a presence there.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 4, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

What could go wrong? No way they could see more troops there as aggression, right?

If they're not going to talk to me I cant be held responsible for what paranoia may or may not make me do!

Triskelli posted:

Yeah, chiming in to say the canal placement in this map is absolutely nuts. I'm guessing you'll throw fortifications up on each crossing point, although that strategy only hinders Beywatch and The Empire. Is the random map generation usually this bonkers?

Actually the big one was added manually by me because I figured there should be a way to access the central sea, the map was randomly generated but I edited it heavily to rationalise it a bit and add all the optional extras. I didn't know I was going to end out posessing the canal system of course and end out a target because of it unfortunately.

Also good news (bad news).

Thats a shipyard on the internal sea, I forgot Perm asked me to place it there until just now so either we ally to grant him use of the canals or he's probably going to want to come knocking at some point.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

If you haven't already try one of the other Decisive campaign games first. They are much more focused and better single player experiences whereas ATG is more of a sandbox.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

1 July 1936; Turn 4

Some filling out units and a bit of recon building but mostly just production of political points for improvements.

Over in the east Freedonia is laying down railways towards me, hmmmmmmmm.

I'm going to start hiding units in the forests.

I consider another factory in central but decide to wait a turn and upgrade a raw resource to level 3 first. Instead I spend the PP on upgrades.

Better guns of all sorts. Yes, dammage.

Finally I extend the rail line towards the Freedonia border to allow easier reinforcement and send some subs scouting along towards the empire's coastline.

dtkozl volunteers his services.

i'm starting to worry that my east/west neighbours are plotting against me due to the excessive quietness from them both so I eagerly take the peace agreement, that secures my northern borders for now and i'm inclined to believe that both of them will stick to their word.

Armies going up raw going down.

----------

A foreign review: Habituallyred
I think Habit was a participant in some of the older newbie games so should know what he's doing, having never really faced him I can't say for sure. Flying what appears to be a civil war Texan flag(?) and a relatively 'special' name of Freedonia is in the envious position of only having three land borders. He seems to have opted for a very good internal rail infrastructure and two gun factories so I assume he is going for a ground-pounders approach.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 4, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

A forign review: Hannibal

I don't know much about Hannibal except he seems like a fairly chill dude so far and is agreeable about peace. Seems to have taken improved airfield infrastructure, Gun factory and Shipyard for his initial choices with the Shipyard somewhat worryingly located in the central sea. I predict we will be great buds just like in the above picture.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Fray posted:

Ugh, you bastards have made me buy yet another grog game.

It's best in MP, you can organise games through the Grog goons thread and the editor is fairly simple to use to rationalise the wacky randomly generated maps unless you try do something really complicated.

Generation Internet posted:

Seems like if you get buddy buddy with Perm you could turn the entire central sea into a friendly lake, outside of you two looks like people barely border it.

:smuggo:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Same old here, mostly producing political points so I can get more factories etc going.

Speaking of which, I invest in a 'Tank' factory in my secluded interior, time for some more armored landships!

Freedonia keeps filling out his units, they are heavy with Flak and Infantry guns from his factories. Personally I think AA units should be specialised so you can shuffle them independently around but to each to their own. Infantry aren't particularly vulnerable to airpower anyway. I divert some more artillery this way and spread my mech-inf units out along the border. I also start my own AA production as finish building the railway up to the front. Looks like this border is going to get a bit hot sooner or later.

Empire sees my sub units scouting along the coast and rushes some tank units over there. A bit paranoid but maybe my rep for amphibious gambles preceeds me.

My borders with Bey watch and Freedonia are bare so I start to pull some of the heavy equipment back to the ports to transfer to the mainland. Subs also go out as an early warning system against Freedonia funkiness.

Talks with Permian Republic

I do some diplomatic manouvering to avert that chances of two of my neighbours deciding to sandwich me. I feel a lot less worried about the Empire now.

-----------------

A foreign review: jzilla
I am a bit dissappointed that nobody seems to have noticed in the game yet that I have given the Empire the flag of that Empire. Not much is known about jzilla except he seems fairly distrusting of me (for unknowable reasons obviously!). He opted for a shipyard and aircraft factory to start with so no doubt is amassing a substantial airforce by now.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 20, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Turn 6; 1 Oct 1936

A pleasant and sunny October day dawns as I return from a relaxing weekend away and oh poo poo WHY ARE THERE CASUALTY REPORTS.

Oh.

He charges forward out of his pre-war positions behind the river and sets up along out border. Artillery and fighters on strafing runs cause a handful of casualties amongst my troops but generally they are entrenched well enough to avoid serious losses.

My own artillery starts up and churns his advancing Militia into a disorganised rabble (he is using NATO counters for armor to show his militia units :commissar:).

Mechanised infantry and Armor strike over the riverline and massacre his disorganised troops before pulling back over the river.

Two hexes south we assault in force and overrun another Militia unit, this time we follow up and occupy the hex, large advances are impossible due to the river crossing and I don't want to leave my troops unsupported.

Reinforcements are streaming toward the Freedonia front from all directions and a fair amount of PP is spent on commanders for the armies here. I also send all of my ships steaming east as fast as possible.

I invest what little PP I have in better guns and more oil production away from the front.

Our counterstrike tilts the casualty numbers in our favor even if a lot of them are MIlitia.

The Grand Sultan of Bey Watch (dtkozl) is having a jolly good time being the only one to see the fighting so far.

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

Permian Republic is noncommittal at the news and my suggestion that he look elsewhere.

Sooo this was a surprise.

I'm not feeling very threatened by Freedonia at the moment. Lots of Fighters strafing me and AA guns in his troops but no armor whatsoever (where is it?). He seems to be relying on artillery and should have lots more thanks to his two gun factories. I have to think this is a distraction somehow due to the total absence of armor and relatively low amount of artillery in his showing forces. Ssurely not for an amphibious landing as I have subs watching the approaches so the other option appears to be a surprise attack from on of my neighbours. I generally believe Dtkozl and the peace/mutal defense I have concluded with Perm will hopefully rule that out so the obvious one appears to be the Empire...

Nothing particularly suspicious yet, I stuck most of the armor here on trains towards Freedonia this turn so I can't do a lot except hold the line if it goes pear-shaped.

Goodbye peace we hardly knew ye.

Now the war has started I have a bunch of active armies and commanders, if you would like to be immortalised in the game please let me know and i'll give you a commander or army named after you.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Fray posted:

What do your formations look like this game? Are you just preparing defenses for the time being?

Engblad posted:

They haven't seemed to change much so something akin to what is described in this post from the old game thread

Generally I havent mixed up my units much.

The two primary units I have right now are defensive infantry and offensive mechanised infantry as follows:

I'm also putting together a number of Light armor divisions but none are full strength yet.

Freedonia seems to have a good number of space filler Militia like so:

and the rest of his troops are pretty similar to my rifle divisions with a lot of Infantry guns and Flak added.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It's not as nuts as it would be in a normal game, I gave everyone a decent amount of starting units and two factories + some resource upgrades so everyone has an okay-ish army by now. I'll give you the commander of 3rd army (Mechanised) (want a new name for the army?) on the eastern front, he's my best commander stat wise but somehow ended out with only 32 staff points so he's in charge of only 3 divisions. Should level soon though as his armored cars were the ones slaughtering all those militia.

Generation Internet's Mechanised Infantry strike back at the cowboy menace.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 23, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

HIdden in the statistics tab in the 'OOB' section there is a button to upgrade everything.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Message from Freedonia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyeKYQdYISg

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It's possible, I think one of those is a heavy artillery unit as a few of them hit me in the turn. The reason he got so strung out in his charge forward is probably that the artillery heavy infantry units don't have enough horses/truck to be mobile so are limited to the artillery movement speed which is very slow. I should be able to get an airbase down near the front next turn so I can start running some recon to see what's out there.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Well I havent the time for a proper writeup yet but yeah I found the rest of Freedonia's army and its getting, messy.

See also all that missing artillery and massive reserve armies.

Saros fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 25, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

They have trains and he's building railroads literally everywhere so there's that. He's spending massive amounts of raw on the rails that I'm sinking into tanks so hopefully that will tell the difference

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Freedonia moves turn 6; Oct 1936.

A pair of Freedonian subs appear off my coast.

He masses his artillery and hammers the poo poo out of Generation Internet's mech-inf. Luckily the tanks and AC's survive mostly unscathed.

Not content with that he goes after GI's HQ unit with fighters!

Huge numbers of units start to show up along the rail line as well and he runs a number of fighter recon missions over my territory. No actual attacks however but he does re-occupy the hex along the riverline I pushed him out of and left empty.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ugh 44 infantry lost from Air and Artillery strikes alone.

What the, does he not know rails cost Raw?

It looks like he is screening with MIlita and relying on the heavy guns for killing power.

First things first however, I send in the subs against his subs. It's... not that effective.

Next up fighters chase them around but dont actually kill any.

Okay fine.... the Navy comes out to play and again the bloody subs escape! They are very low on readiness however so hopefully we can get them next turn. This whole exercise is a huge waste of fuel however.

Oh great... more subs. Wait, 5th sub division? Fucks sake.

Anyway we pound on some Militia.

and Generation Internets dudes roll over and murder most of them.

Our other artillery battery hammers the forts and they break leaving the troops there in disarray.

Our tanks and infantry of 4th army under the command of Fray then cross the river and throw them out of the hex.

Huzzah for the conquering hero!

Finally Frankenfreak and GI team up to take a third hex with another river crossing.

Huzzah!

Our airforce gives his northern Militia unit a beating to stop them helping with any counter-attacks.

TildEath (blue HQ) brings in his unitss from the Bey Watch border to hold the line while the others advance.

Two massive HQ's are spotted in the east.

At last GI gets enough XP for level 1!

Overall the war seems to be going alright.

A few more troops showed up on the Empire border today which is a cause for some more unease.

Freedonia gets a wee taunt.

Given our advance so far Flanders HQ requests Guidance from command whether they should strike towards Dundee, advance on Norwich or concentrate on destroying Freedonian troops. Thread, Please vote!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Me and Perm have an agreement to get involved if the empire attacks either of us so that's why I feel confident enough to strip the empire front of most of its tanks. He's nervous about Bey Watch but after some talking I think I have him convinced that Dtkozl has designs elsewhere. As for dtkozl he has been hinting about mobilising to go after Freedonia so hopefully that will coalesce.

Subs are an annoyance only, they are scouts and wreak havoc on supply lines so unless I perform an amphibious op they aren't going to achieve much. I have been considering a putting together a landing around his capital, Boston however but the numbers of subs means it would be difficult to keep supplied.

A lot hinges on how he reacts, he should really fall back to the second river line and focus on producing more tanks/AT guns or go all in on dive-bombers but he may try to turn the south side of my advance, attacking GI's mech-inf using his few tanks and the infantry he has to spare. Next turn I should be able to get an airfield up and a bridge over the first river which will allow me to bring forward the real tank divisions as they will be recovered from their train transport.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah it's a conundrum with games like this. Do too well everyone will dogpile the opponent, usually taking more territory than you get thanks to you exhausting yourself beating them. Do too poorly you look like a target.

Right now I think I have two borders relatively secure but I need to stir conflict with everyone else or they will invest in more resources and factories leaving me up poo poo creek even if I win as captured cities/territory perform worse than your native territory.

Ideally I can beat Freedonia while still investing in Infrastructure and getting some good generals trained up from the combat (possible, yes; likely.... maybe?)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Freedonia moves; Turn 7 November 1936

Winter hits fast and hard, by the time it is around to Freedonia's move it is snow in the north and mud in the south putting a cramp on action this turn.

The turn begins with huge amounts of artillery beating the absolute poo poo out of Generation Internet's Mech-inf. In a way this is good because artillery has stacking penalties too and 20 batteries is double the limit so the overall effectiveness is way down.

Heavy guns also hit my back line but the forts take most of the punishment.

He storms GI's position but the armored cars and tanks deal out heavy punishment to the attackers before being forced to retreat. Good job boys!

Fighters recon and attack the subs I have snooping off the coast, hilariously we trade 1:1.

Mark II subs then roll up and attack but we manage to slip away, submarines have a decent chance to turn a 'kill' result into a retreat during combat so are drat hard to actually take out except with planes.

He pushes around the flanks of my beachead across the river and you can see where GI's troops were forced to retreat NW.

Saros fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 28, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Turn 8; December 1936

The year is winding down fast, Snow in the north and Mud in the south. Mud is terrible news for AFV's and the rains mean airpower cannot fly.

Not bad numbers considering we were on the defensive.

Our hero of the hour hits level one, a pretty bad roll for stat increases but he gets the "HOLD" card which can be played to give infantry under his command defensive bonuses.

First up the front at the start of the turn. Our beachead across the river is looking a little exposed, we better do something about that.

First things first, we put down an airfield behind the lines and a bridge leading to our beachead.

To begin the offensive our own artillery opens up. Frays 1st bde shells the poo poo out of some Militia units.

Frankenfreaks 5th bde does the same on the other flank.

Somewhat recovered GI's 1st div come back for the units who pushed them back before with some help from Frank's 18th rifle. They butcher the disorganised infantry but lose an Armored car detatchment to an ambush by the defending infantry guns (I went digging into the combat report and first combat round the I-gun surprised an AC and killed it before being wiped out by the light tank).

A similar process in the north as GI's 3rd div and Tildeath's 2nd rifle wipe out a bunch more militia.

Turns out the second line is just bunch of engineers and the road/rail means muds movement disadvantages are mostly ignored so the 3rd goes engineer hunting.

Reinforcements stream over the bridge and the second line of MIlitia are over-run by units from GI, Fray and Frankenfreak.

A pretty good push for a Mud turn, thanks for all the rails Freedonia!

10th Army, nicknamed the "Bloody Brussels Sprout" and commanded by Engblad who turned out to be a pretty excellent commander begins forming up, it's formed of artillery transferred from the Empire front and new production units.

Speaking of the Empire we find he has a few destroyers about and the Freedonian subs run away to hide behind them.

"Slaughteriffic"

This loving war kicked off before I could properly stockpile oil or upgrade my oil wells.

Oh and before I forget Fray did enough Militia murdering this turn to hit level 1 and GI has 65/75 of the XP he needs for level 2.

That was a plan? I think he's misunderstanding the point of MIlitia (lovely meat shields for whatever does the actual killing).

We ask nicely for him to rationalise his counters.

The Empire makes reassuring noises but continues to increase his forces. I don't really believe him and am going to have to divert production to that front as it's a bit thin on the ground over there. Ugh, no doubt delaying our inevitable glorious victory over Freedonia.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 4, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Engblad posted:

That is a huge stack on the front railhub. Empire DD's a big threat?

Also, I am happy seeing the Bloody Brussels Sprout being formed.

The DD aren't a real threat as there are only two of them, they're more likely scouts than anything.

The big stack of Empire units are probably some planes as he has an airbase in the hex. I guess I need some air defense over there as well as if I didn't already have enough demands on my production...

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Freedonia moves; Turn 8 Nov 1936

Still mud somehow, that's fairly rare as its often just a single month before winter.

HEY! Uncool, my expensive bridge is destroyed by heavy artillery.

Elsewhre he continues to drop shells all over my poor troops.

Just so many explosions.

Really, no fair.

Finally he sends in his armored force against Generation Internet's and Frankenfreaks light armor but after some brutal fighting they are repulsed with reasonable losses. Mud sucks.

Some cheap forts go down in the gap between hills and river which might complicate my advance until I can get some artillery up to clear them, he also builds rails towards Norwich no doubt intending to bridge the river there. The mud and cramped front has made the fighting so far extremely claustraphobic but if I can force the riverline in my turn things will open up a bit.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 30, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Generation internet disinterestedly conquers Freedonia.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 30, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Turn 9; January 1937

Losses from the enemy turn are deemed acceptable and the army continues to slowly grow despite the uptick in political point production.

Another two of our glorious generals reach level one and Frankenfreak gets a 'hold' card. Once a general has a card he can spend it whenever during his turn for various bonuses, it then has a % chance of reappearing every turn. In this case it is a 25% chance.

Freedonia mocks the Grognard/Mapgoon way of life, pre-empting the thread response we order a general advance with no mercy.

The front before moves, still Mud somehow. The fortified point in the north is heavily defended by tanks ad AT guns so a decision is made to delay an assault untill mud resolves.

Eager to get in on the action the BBS under Engblad opens up on a Freedonian salient.

Tildeath and Fray overrun the position shotly after.

Not quite finished Engblad moves up his other Arty unit (he has two!) and punishes the last ground Freedonia holds on the west side of the river.

The lighter bombardment means GI and Frankenfreaks assault on the position runs into trouble, Frank's infantry panic after taking heavy casualties and retreat but GI's Mech-inf plough grimly onwards through a sea of bodies eventually throwing the Freedonians back over the river.

Further north Fray's fresh arty pounds Freedonian positions that are awash with artillery of all sorts.

Fray and Frank attack with Tildeath trying to assist from the flanks but mud means Tildeath lags behind. The attack is a resounding success however as despite light tank losses to AT guns the artillery positions are overrun and large numbers of AT, Infantry and artillery guns are destroyed!

Tildeath also storms the forts held by the isolated Militia unit, no quarter!

Gen I moves north to threaten the airfield there with a Mech-Inf unit and plays his hold card on it to discourage any attacks.

Overall a pretty good turn, going to have to contend with that hardpoint with the forts at some point and still not much movement thanks to mud.

A new Permian Tank factory is spotted near Kursk, nobody else seems to have put down another factory yet.

Oil remains problematic, hopefully the end of mud and the new oil well I built this turn will help stem the tide.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 4, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It goes on sale semi-regularly for around that price, unfortunately not right now it seems.

Saros fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'd like to thank habituallyred daring to actually start a war in this strategic war game. Yeah, I get people want to have time settle diplomatic matters and set up production, but it's not very satisfying to see them doing, from this perspective, what appears to be very little.

Hopefully some time down the road they have a chance to spill some juicy details about whatever they're planning right now.

There's not much point in starting a war if all that happens is you ineffectually flail at each other WW1 style. That said from the sound of the diplomacy going down now it'll probably all dissolve into conflict very shortly.

Triskelli posted:

The Empire's raw spending is just about matching yours, they must be gearing up for an offensive.

Maybe, here is the force charts which isnt necessarily a great indicator of actual combat power as it weights heavily toward sea & masses of infantry but will show a buildup. You can see Dtkozl/bey watch really ramp it up when me and Freedonia go at it. Bear in mind everyone can see the charts and loss totals as well as Freedonia losing ground so if anyone is going to be dogpiled I expect it would be him.

Hopefully I will have stabilied my oil after this turn, the mud sucks as it makes tanks really really greedy consumers.

• Locked thread