Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
http://www.wbrz.com/news/report-superdome-offered-as-backup-venue-for-lsu-vs-byu-game

They're offering to use the Superdome for the LSU/BYU game next week due to the Houston flooding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Are you interested in playing in a pick 'em league against your fellow TFF'ers and you haven't read the last couple pages, or you forgot to join? Here's a reminder for this page:

Seaniqua posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren:
If you want to join the against-the-spread TFF pick 'em league, I have to send you an invite, which requires that I have your e-mail. Post your e-mail here, PM it to me, or e-mail it to me. My e-mail address is splomax at gmail dot com.
:siren: :siren: :siren:

kayakyakr posted:

You don't need to do this.

It's group 1941, password: freshwater

There, now anyone can join.

Are you sure? When I go to this URL in an incognito window:

I get an error saying I'm not a member of that group. If there's some other way to join, go for it.

Edit: You can go here to join with the group ID and password! Thanks to kayakyakr and Duckaerobics for schooling me on this.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 27, 2017

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Seaniqua posted:

Are you sure? When I go to this URL in an incognito window:

I get an error saying I'm not a member of that group. If there's some other way to join, go for it.

I was able to join this way. I think I just went to join group and typed in the number and password.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Randaconda posted:

What happened?

So far, early in the 2nd quarter:

- Charles Woodson scores a wide-open touchdown. Michigan 17-0, ABC immediately cuts to a shot of a stunned Jerry Sandusky. "Jerry Sandusky cannot believe it!"

- At the end of the 1st quarter, a Penn State TE is absolutely trucked near the sidelines. The Michigan player hits him shoulder to collarbone, but both helmets pop back and both guys are knocked out. ABC goes to commercial for the end of the quarter, and returns to a shot of the dazed Penn State guy on the sidelines, as Keith Jackson tells an amusing story about how the player was knocked out, awoke to "say some funny things" and the players and coaches "all had a good laugh making fun of him for getting his bell rung".

- Joe Paterno had his gameplan altered because his quarterback burst into his office to tell him what he saw on film. "And when you have a coach's son at quarterback like Mike McCreary, you've gotta listen to him!"

Just, lots of yikes.

EDIT: Charles Woodson gets another big gain on a long pass play. Cut to a frustrated Jerry Sandusky on the sidelines. "Jerry Sandusky is really going to be mad if Penn State keeps leaving Woodson alone. Don't be fooled folks, he isn't just a mild-mannered gentleman!"

Michigan is crushing Penn State, and ABC is showing Sandusky more than Paterno.

"That man right there, Jerry Sandusky, is not a happy camper with his defense" (cut to a small graphic showing yards gained, keeping the camera on Sandusky)

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 27, 2017

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Duckaerobics posted:

I was able to join this way. I think I just went to join group and typed in the number and password.

ahh ok, I was too lazy to create a new yahoo account to see if this was possible.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

"And when you have a coach's son at quarterback like Mike McCreary, you've gotta listen to him!"

holy poo poo

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

AsInHowe posted:

"Don't be fooled folks, he isn't just a mild-mannered gentleman!"

Keith Jackson was trying to warn us, we just didn't listen.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AsInHowe posted:

So far, early in the 2nd quarter:

- Charles Woodson scores a wide-open touchdown. Michigan 17-0, ABC immediately cuts to a shot of a stunned Jerry Sandusky. "Jerry Sandusky cannot believe it!"

- At the end of the 1st quarter, a Penn State TE is absolutely trucked near the sidelines. The Michigan player hits him shoulder to collarbone, but both helmets pop back and both guys are knocked out. ABC goes to commercial for the end of the quarter, and returns to a shot of the dazed Penn State guy on the sidelines, as Keith Jackson tells an amusing story about how the player was knocked out, awoke to "say some funny things" and the players and coaches "all had a good laugh making fun of him for getting his bell rung".

- Joe Paterno had his gameplan altered because his quarterback burst into his office to tell him what he saw on film. "And when you have a coach's son at quarterback like Mike McCreary, you've gotta listen to him!"

Just, lots of yikes.

EDIT: Charles Woodson gets another big gain on a long pass play. Cut to a frustrated Jerry Sandusky on the sidelines. "Jerry Sandusky is really going to be mad if Penn State keeps leaving Woodson alone. Don't be fooled folks, he isn't just a mild-mannered gentleman!"

Michigan is crushing Penn State, and ABC is showing Sandusky more than Paterno.

"That man right there, Jerry Sandusky, is not a happy camper with his defense" (cut to a small graphic showing yards gained, keeping the camera on Sandusky)

Jesus. :staredog:

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

blugu64 posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a&m is a cult that worships a dog

Speaking of which, is it weird that I'm hoping that Harvey will cleanse us of that dog cemetery forever?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
In the 3rd quarter, a sideline report starts off with "We all know there's so much to admire about Joe Paterno, but one thing I just saw is..." before talking about how Paterno watches film of his opponents. Every possible Paterno praise is fit in, every possible Paterno shot is cut to.

When a sideline report is on Michigan, it's just "I talked to Carr, and..."

It is 31-0 Michigan at this point.

I realized the media idolized Paterno, but I really wasn't expecting anything like this. It's pure adoration, and he's getting his rear end kicked.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AsInHowe posted:

In the 3rd quarter, a sideline report starts off with "We all know there's so much to admire about Joe Paterno, but one thing I just saw is..." before talking about how Paterno watches film of his opponents. Every possible Paterno praise is fit in, every possible Paterno shot is cut to.

When a sideline report is on Michigan, it's just "I talked to Carr, and..."

It is 31-0 Michigan at this point.

I realized the media idolized Paterno, but I really wasn't expecting anything like this. It's pure adoration, and he's getting his rear end kicked.

They always talked about him like that, and he only won two national titles, and only three Big Ten championships. He's not even one of the greats and they're kissing his rear end. (ignoring the other stuff, since it' hadn't come out yet)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/21/...ts/ncaafootball

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Late in the 4th quarter, Michigan is up 34-8. ABC has been showing highlights of Nebraska/Missouri all game (the kicked ball TD ending), but just showed the first in-game highlight of Tennessee's Peyton Manning, who threw a touchdown pass. After showing Peyton, ABC cuts back to the game, as Michigan puts in backup QB Tom Brady for the first time today.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
History is funny sometimes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Randaconda posted:

They always talked about him like that, and he only won two national titles, and only three Big Ten championships. He's not even one of the greats and they're kissing his rear end. (ignoring the other stuff, since it' hadn't come out yet)

3 Big Ten championships is pretty good considering they weren't part of the conference until 1994. That level of fawning is ridiculous but JoePa was undeniably a great coach.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

AsInHowe posted:

Late in the 4th quarter, Michigan is up 34-8. ABC has been showing highlights of Nebraska/Missouri all game (the kicked ball TD ending),

gently caress this.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Randaconda posted:

Didn't Paterno have a couple of unbeaten teams who were left out in the cold? The guy was a very good coach who had lasting success. I think he probably could've retired ten to fifteen years sooner than he did, though.

Edit: apparently he had five unbeaten teams, and won two national titles.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LLCoolJD posted:

Didn't Paterno have a couple of unbeaten teams who were left out in the cold? The guy was a very good coach who had lasting success. I think he probably could've retired ten to fifteen years sooner than he did, though.

Edit: apparently he had five unbeaten teams, and won two national titles.

Four of them where he didn't win a Natty apparently. Oh with your edit maybe one of these is the Nebraska year where they shared?

Although 3 of those were in the first 8 years he was coaching.

e: Somehow PSU went 12-0 in 1973 and ended up ranked 5th. Behind 11-0 Notre Dame, 10-0-1 Ohio State, 10-0-1 Oklahoma (OU and tOSU ties unrelated by the way), and 11-1 Alabama. PSU did not play a ranked team until the last week of the regular season and in the bowl game. Bama lost to Notre Dame, which is why the AP apparently graded them higher with a loss.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 28, 2017

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nothing before 79 matters. Penn State was the Boise State of the 70s, but holding on with Bama to the very end made a difference. In the 80s, the scheduling changed and more ranked teams came up. Played for three titles from 1982 to 1986 and that's pretty nuts all things considered.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Four of them where he didn't win a Natty apparently. Oh with your edit maybe one of these is the Nebraska year where they shared?

The 1994 championship wasn't shared.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dango Bango posted:

The 1994 championship wasn't shared.

Yeah I was mixing that up with the Scott Frost year which had to be like '97 or 8 right?

e: Oh poo poo I'm confusing Penn State with Michigan. I apologize to Michigan.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 28, 2017

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah I was mixing that up with the Scott Frost year which had to be like '97 or 8 right?

e: Oh poo poo I'm confusing Penn State with Michigan. I apologize to Michigan.

Yeah 97 was the weird Nebraska/Michigan split title.

I maintain that there shouldve been 00:01 on the clock for a Leaf hail mary in the Rose Bowl, so the matter isn't really settled. :colbert:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Let the record show Michigan won half a national title that year and still hasn't won anything of significance since the 50's when nobody cared. gently caress them forever and ever amen.

Also I hope Harbaugh is found in a bath tub full of milk.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I was physically jolted just now remembering that we play Michigan in 6 days and I suddenly got really nervous.

:ohdear:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah 97 was the weird Nebraska/Michigan split title.

I maintain that there shouldve been 00:01 on the clock for a Leaf hail mary in the Rose Bowl, so the matter isn't really settled. :colbert:

I absolutely agree with you Nebraska homerism aside. Wazzu got jobbed in that game.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Democrazy posted:

Speaking of which, is it weird that I'm hoping that Harvey will cleanse us of that dog cemetery forever?

It's not, friend.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Democrazy posted:

All the full grode jars will weigh the caskets down. :patriot:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

I was physically jolted just now remembering that we play Michigan in 6 days and I suddenly got really nervous.

:ohdear:

Same, but 'Bama. :ohdear:

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Randaconda posted:

Same, but 'Bama. :ohdear:

You're going to die :twisted:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scionix posted:

You're going to die :twisted:

We'll see. :colbert:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rad Valtar posted:

Also I hope Harbaugh is found in a bath tub full of milk.

I hope he takes Michigan through a string of 8-9 win seasons so I can watch in real time as the fan bases opinion of his antics devolves.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope they keep feasting on the soft Big 10 schedule and getting dominated in the offseason, like an Ohio State and Penn State.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Randaconda posted:

I hope they keep feasting on the soft Big 10 schedule and getting dominated in the offseason, like an Ohio State and Penn State.

I'm old enough to remember a 4 seed Ohio St beating Bama and Oregon with their third string QB in the 2015 CFP.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

I'm old enough to remember a 4 seed Ohio St beating Bama and Oregon with their third string QB in the 2015 CFP.

Quit living in the past. :colbert:

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Randaconda posted:

We'll see. :colbert:

I've been talking an unbelievable amount of poo poo about this game because if we lose we have a built-in excuse (Hey we were playing loving Leatherface and family, what do you expect?) while if we win I ALWAYS BELIEVED.

I really do think we'll win but that's because I am naturally optimistic most of the time. I'd like to see Derwin James stake his claim to the Heisman with like 12 tfl and 6 sacks. I know, I know. Very optimistic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kent State coach Paul Haynes has taken a medical leave of absence for 2-3 weeks. Offensive Coordinator Don Treadwell will be interim coach.

Paul's good people and hopefully it's just a blip on the radar.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JonathonSpectre posted:

I've been talking an unbelievable amount of poo poo about this game because if we lose we have a built-in excuse (Hey we were playing loving Leatherface and family, what do you expect?) while if we win I ALWAYS BELIEVED.

I really do think we'll win but that's because I am naturally optimistic most of the time. I'd like to see Derwin James stake his claim to the Heisman with like 12 tfl and 6 sacks. I know, I know. Very optimistic.

The best possible outcome is we beat them, we both win out, and we beat them again in the playoffs.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

They're gonna beat us to death with the run game fyi go noles but still

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pillsburysoldier posted:

They're gonna beat us to death with the run game fyi go noles but still

There's always hope. :yaycloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Hey guys, Texas is Back.

• Locked thread