Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

this is an extremely common component of all statistically oriented ranking systems

most go to second order opponent's opponents too

Yeah, but no one really talks about it and it always feels like they're trying to use narrative based SoS instead of stat based.

Though I've never heard of going to 2nd order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

iospace posted:

Yeah, but no one really talks about it and it always feels like they're trying to use narrative based SoS instead of stat based.

There are plenty of places on the internet and whatever that do good analysis like this. Football Studyhall, Football Outsiders, etc. I think you need to upgrade your choice of football media.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

iospace posted:

I think it was the official BCS formula -- at least for a second, since they were constantly changing it in response to however they hosed up last time -- that included SOS at 2/3 opponents and 1/3 opponents' opponents?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
i wonder if pj fleck is going to make any difference in the dumpster fire big ten west

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

The most memorable thing about Matt Ryan at BC was that hit he took at Clemson where his helmet accelerated off his head into the ground at c.

A couple months ago Matt Ryan, for no reason other than that I guess he wanted to make me really sad, revealed that his second choice for college was Iowa. I spent like an entire day imagining a world where I got to watch Matt Ryan instead Jake Christensen and sobbing

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

A couple months ago Matt Ryan, for no reason other than that I guess he wanted to make me really sad, revealed that his second choice for college was Iowa. I spent like an entire day imagining a world where I got to watch Matt Ryan instead Jake Christensen and sobbing

I have similar moments thinking about Cam or Lamar Jackson so, jah feel.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

drunk leprechaun posted:

There are plenty of places on the internet and whatever that do good analysis like this. Football Studyhall, Football Outsiders, etc. I think you need to upgrade your choice of football media.

Probably! I really only have ESPN on at work, and it's usually the 3pm ET shows till the end of Sportscenter in the early evening (and then whatever live sports that are good go on after that, usually Wisconsin ones). I'm really only starting to get deep into it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i live in a world where Texas's secondary was anchored by Johnny Manziel and Robert Griffin III, who both went on to long and productive NFL careers

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

iospace posted:

Probably! I really only have ESPN on at work, and it's usually the 3pm ET shows till the end of Sportscenter in the early evening (and then whatever live sports that are good go on after that, usually Wisconsin ones). I'm really only starting to get deep into it.

One such example: http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm#Top_of_Page

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is there one showing through Week 14?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Proud Christian Mom posted:

i live in a world where Texas's secondary was anchored by Johnny Manziel and Robert Griffin III, who both went on to long and productive NFL careers

Don't forget about Andrew Luck at safety

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Glumslinger posted:

Don't forget about Andrew Luck at safety

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5STc2_bM7k

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Amherst is in the middle of deciding a new mascot, which naturally applies to their football team.

The old one, Lord Jeffs, is out as the man it is named for thought giving smallpox-infected blankets to Native Americans was a cool idea.

Possibly the most popular of the semifinalists?

Hamsters.

You see, it's an anagram of Amherst.

And like most of the student body, it's a mammal. And they're male and female, also like most people associated with the college.

(That's from the list of rationale behind the suggestions.)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Amherst is in the middle of deciding a new mascot, which naturally applies to their football team.

The old one, Lord Jeffs, is out as the man it is named for thought giving smallpox-infected blankets to Native Americans was a cool idea.

Hamsters.

And like most of the student body, it's a mammal. And they're male and female, also like most people associated with the college.

By D3 standards that's totally fine. gently caress you, Heidelberg University The 'Berg!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Henchman of Santa posted:

By D3 standards that's totally fine. gently caress you, Heidelberg University The 'Berg!

UW-Eau Claire (also D3) is the "Blugolds" :newlol:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

This hit rules.

The announcer is completely forgetting Michael Robinson ending that Minnesota safety's life though

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Hamsters.

Hamsters is a good mascot. Luminaries is a weird semifinalist. Dinosaur is singular for some reason.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Amherst Hamsters owns.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
There's a nfl player with the nickname muscle hamster, you guys could invite him for a ribbon-cutting ceremony

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Dinosaur is singular for some reason.

There's a professional lacrosse team called the Mammoth.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

iospace posted:

RPI goes to second order and is pretty commonly used in other sports.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

swickles posted:

Dayne went to Wisconsin, no one cares about anything done against Big 10 competition.

So we're going to disregard Florida's 2006 title? Sweet

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

RPI goes to second order and is pretty commonly used in other sports.

It's also really bad in those sports

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Regnevelc posted:

So we're going to disregard Florida's 2006 title? Sweet

I have no problem with this

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I mean, having it go down as a forfeit is less embarassing, so if you want to think of it that way, go ahead.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

whiteyfats posted:

Amherst Hamsters owns.

It's unique so I like it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If Minnesota can be a damned gopher then by god Amherst can be a hamster

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Amherst hamsters are an example of a good nerd school mascot. Tim the beaver of the MIT fighting engineers is also a good

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Time posted:

Amherst hamsters are an example of a good nerd school mascot. Tim the beaver of the MIT fighting engineers is also a good

Every engineer school is a beaver or bee though.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
High School but one of the schools I went to were the Spongers. Like the guy that dives and goes and gets sponges from the ocean. We were that guy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bip Roberts posted:

Yellow Jackets aren't bees :colbert:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bip Roberts posted:

Oh, yeah I forgot about that. Well then they really have nothing

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

The WPI engineers have Gompei the Goat and the RPI engineers have a red hawk I think.

Man was college football sad for me.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 11, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pakled posted:

Yellow Jackets aren't bees :colbert:

Yeah they're evil assholes who should be slaughtered the second you detect their presence.

Prairie dogs are kind of engineery, like building huge burrows and stuff. Is anyone named the Prairie Dogs?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bip Roberts posted:

Colorado School of Mines are the "Orediggers" and their mascot is a bucking rear end.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 11, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah they're evil assholes who should be slaughtered the second you detect their presence.

Prairie dogs are kind of engineery, like building huge burrows and stuff. Is anyone named the Prairie Dogs?

According to wiki literally no one in college sports, this is amazing to me.

We've got Prairie Fire, Prairie Wolves, Prairie Stars....man go with the rodents. Prairie View A&M University I'm looking at you, drop the Panthers and go with the dog. Sure they're a pest, but they're a noble pest.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Hamsters.

I want to enroll just so I can be selected to vote for Hamsters. That is a Good Mascot.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Luke Falk returning for senior season, Husky fans rejoice

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Colorado School of Mines are the "Orediggers" and their mascot is a bucking rear end.

That donkey looks like Al Queda with that dynamite in its mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoguh posted:

It's pretty great

• Locked thread