Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Your primer to Kansas fandom:

"When is midnight madness again?"

Man I've been thinking about the clock management at the end of that game and it actually offends me on some level. Not taking a time out to spike the ball screwing Clemson out of at least one potential goal line shot is one thing. A bad thing to my mind, but not the worst. But the onside kick. My god that was so horrible. That's the only way Alabama could have theoretically won the game outside of a return, a hail mary after an onside kick recovery. Hey, you want to avoid the chance of a return? Fine, do the same goddamned thing you'd been doing all game and pooch the ball high to the 35 or so.

They'd have been better off kicking the ball deep out of bounds.

If they pooch it high, fair catch could have been called (and it was earlier in the game). Onside was the only way to not give them ANY shot, so I kind of understand it. I bet they expected a dog pile, in which the one second would run out and it wouldn't matter who recovered. But the one thing you can't do is get illegal touching, which almost happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

DJExile posted:

Out of sheer curiosity, how rare is it that coaches return to their former programs like that? Bill Snyder's the only one I can think of.

E: referring to the suggestion that Pelini could go back to Nebraska, i mean

I don't think Snyder was fired and went on a tirade against the school the first time around like Bo did, though.

There's actually a wikipedia article for your question, though! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_football_head_coaches_with_non-consecutive_tenure

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

And Musberger has called his last college football game. He finishes with basketball on the 31st with a UK/UGA game.

drat, we all missed the chance to say "last game of your career, Brent, can't hold anything back now" when he started talking about Joe Mixon.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Komet posted:

Wasn't it alleged that Jerry Sandusky had also raped his adopted son?

I don't know the details, but Matthew Sandusky did end up testifying that he was abused by Jerry. It wouldn't be surprising at all if it comes out that Jeffrey was molested as a child.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Poor research by SB Nation - It originated here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/3m7pgr/colin_cowherd_tweets_about_something_going_on_at/cvcqnx5/

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Brilliant

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm down with this one. That was just laziness on the officials' part.

Does anyone have the link to the story a few years ago where Baylor was putting up conference/divison championships on their stadium walls that they had 0% right to claim? I can't find it anymore.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah, not sure why I was thinking Baylor.

:lol: at claiming 1997 Big 12 champions.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/857261094561341440

:(

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

PS Vue is raising their prices (Sports package is going from $35 to 45).

What's the cheapest way now of getting BTN and the major ESPN channels? Sling doesn't seem to have BTN.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

Hey TFF, we're less than a month from real loving football happening, which means you aren't sick of picking the games a week every week yet, and you're still be operating under the delusional thought that you'll actually make your picks, on time, every week this year, so...

:siren: Let's do a 2017 TFF College Pick 'Em!!!! :siren:

Last year we used Fox Sports College Pick 'Em, but apparently that's not an option this year.

:smith: :smith: :smith: :smith:

jk, fine with me... I vaguely remember there being some issues with the site last year, so let's find a new one. Has anyone had good experiences with other sites? Here's what I'd like to find:

1.) Custom set of games to pick each week. Fox Sports had a bunch of preselected sets of games, but they never quite matched what I thought TFF would enjoy the most. But they let you pick a 100% custom set, so I generally tried to pick two games from each power five conference, with preference on ranked games, or games that people in TFF had been discussing the most. Also, I want to keep the set of games at 10, because after that I think it gets to be a little too time consuming. Edit: It looks like this requirement excludes Yahoo, because you have to use one of their predefined sets.

2.) Ability to pick against the spread, without confidence points. I like doing against the spread instead of straight-up, it's more interesting and more challenging. But I personally think confidence points make the whole task feel more like work than fun.

3.) (ideally) The ability to see what everyone picked in a given week, and the results. Fox Sports actually had this feature. It generated a nice grid that showed everyone's picks, so it made it fun and easy to find who did the best and worst, who picked games correctly that no one else picked, etc. Unfortunately, our group got too big, and Fox Sports wouldn't generate that grid anymore. But you could click on individual users and see what their picks were. So, I wrote a Java program that actually skimmed the HTML of every user's individual picks and generated the same grid. This was a pain in the rear end, and I don't want to do it again. :)

Thanks everyone - who will dethrone General Dog?

It's too bad Yahoo doesn't let you create custom sets, because they're pretty good in every other aspect. I like the ten games per week.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That nittany lion has seen some poo poo.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

milk milk lemonade posted:

Holy gently caress Forrest Gump was a loving book

There's also a sequel where he does 80s stuff like accidentally invent New Coke.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I was going to make fun of #P1R8TES but apparently all of those offer letters have their own bad hashtag with 18 in it.

#NE18RASKA

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

swickles posted:

This actually made me go to a computer instead of phone postin...

Vaccines work on an individual,but for it to be 100% effective, we rely on whats called herd immunity. The idea is that if we vaccinate everyone, we eliminate the medium by which the virus propagates. To establish this herd immunity, it is thought that 95% of a population be vaccinated. This was the norm for many years, but then the Jenny McCarthyism took over and now we have parents thinking for NO REASON WHATSOFUCKING EVER that vaccines cause autism and would rather their child die than be autistic so they don't get vaccinated. So now, the virus is more rampant and the failure in the vaccine rate is increasing, because the success in vaccine rates is related to how many people actually get it. Its so loving stupid that many health care providers have shifted to the point where they view a refusal outside of a valid medical reason to vaccinate is tantamount to child abuse. I am in line with this thinking, and it might be the only way the US overcomes its vaccination problems.

...Okay so did these guys not have vaccines or are they ineffective after a while or what?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

I like that he wrote the words in the clearest possible way and you still didn't understand.

He said vaccines work on an individual so I didn't see how a given person could get it when they've had the vaccine.

The effectiveness waning 20 years later makes sense though, thanks for the explanations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Bowl names have peaked.

• Locked thread