Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

iospace posted:

Yeah, but no one really talks about it and it always feels like they're trying to use narrative based SoS instead of stat based.

Though I've never heard of going to 2nd order.

There are plenty of places on the internet and whatever that do good analysis like this. Football Studyhall, Football Outsiders, etc. I think you need to upgrade your choice of football media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

iospace posted:

Every time something bad happened to Bielema in their bowl, I laughed. I hate coaches that use Wisconsin as a launch pad up to other places.

So you hate Barry being overly involved in the program and refusing to pay for assistants chasing off coaches? I mean that sounds fair, but directing your anger at Bert strikes me as a bit misplaced. At least for that. There are plenty of other reasons to hate on Bert.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

TBeats posted:

eat whatcha like i wont judge

unless you put ketchup on your eggs

gross

gently caress you ketchup on scrambled eggs is delicious.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
This car thing is so loving stupid. Either:
a.)it's the players car that they got through legit means
b.)it is a car that a booster or someone gave them in violation of NCAA rules
c.)it isn't their car

None of these loving matter at all, and honestly I hope it's b because gently caress the NCAA.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

How on earth does the state of South Carolina have two chicken teams?

This is by design. CCU's mascot is a reference to USC's.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Suck it, Virginia Tech. ISU just hired away your wrestling coach.

Motherfucking Iowa schools hiring away our wrestling coaches. Stop that poo poo already!

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Goddamnit.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

iospace posted:

How often do you hear of a school's sports programs outside of football, basketball, and occasionally hockey?

I know this may shock you, but different schools have different programs they care about. Like Syracuse lacrosse, or Iowa wrestling, or Hawaii volleyball.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Do they get a hotel discount in NC or something? 3 games there in a 4-week period seems kind of nuts.

It's because of their kinda-sorta ACC schedule. Surprising to have 3/4 of tobacco road all in the same year though.

edit: wait they only play in NC once. NCState and Wake are both in South Bend. Nevermind my dumb post.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

NC State/Notre Dame

Or really any game that happened in NC that day

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

whiteyfats posted:

The fact they are sort of a mid-tier ACC nowadays amuses me.

Don't you insult America's second best conference like that. They are lower tier ACC.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Thoguh posted:

March Matness is upon us, come post about wrestling in SAS

Here's the current Intermat top 25 to help you decide if you should care

1. Penn State
2. Oklahoma State
3. Ohio State
4. Iowa
5. Virginia Tech
6. Missouri
7. Nebraska
8. Cornell
9. Michigan
10. Minnesota
11. Arizona State
12. Illinois
13. Lehigh
14. Wisconsin
15. North Carolina State
16. South Dakota State
17. Northern Iowa
18. Stanford
19. Edinboro
20. Rider
21. Princeton
22. North Carolina
23. North Dakota State
24. Pittsburgh
25. Rutgers

https://twitter.com/ncaawrestling/status/842171815204028416

Thanks for this post. But seriously still gently caress you guys for stealing our coach. In season too.

I swear to god the way the last to coaches have gone our next wrestling coach is going to leave VT for Northern Iowa after getting us a second place finish at nationals.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Anals of History posted:

MSU paid something like $1.3M on Utah State to open the 2018 season, and just put down $1.2M on Tulsa for the 2019 opener. I know the goal is having an easy win, but is there any particular reason for choosing far afield teams instead of someone closer and presumably cheaper? I have to imagine those aren't the only teams with openings.

I think it's a balancing act. I imagine that MSU has played most MAC teams about a billion times and unless they catch a WMU RTB or good NIU team fans probably don't care. USU and Tulsa are both exotic for MSU and have been decent enough to pique fan interest but not good enough to likely beat Sparty. Get a (hopefully)safe win, but also get people in the stadium.

That or the AD's are all buddies or something. Who the gently caress really knows.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

When this happens, the year that they do pull the upset is going to be terrible and they will never let you live it down :smith:

As a VT grad marrying into a family with a lot of UVA grads, but thankfully none are her immediate family, this is my fear. I may skip her family's Christmas when it happens.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

I mean, it makes some sense to me to block transfers in-conference or even to teams on the next year's schedules. Picking up a player from a conference rival could give the team gaining the player valuable insight into how the other operates.

But that same deal applies to coaches, even moreso, and it happens all the time.

No it doesn't make sense. If the kid fulfilled his obligation for the one year scholarship the school gave him he should be free to go wherever he wants. gently caress competitive advantage.

I mean this only exists in a hand full of NCAA sports and isn't seen anywhere else in higher education. Just further proof the NCAA is bullshit, but we already knew that.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Won't know if you don't ask, basically. They'll hit you up at specified times because people are more likely to be generous then (think holidays and tax refunds) just like a charity. If you want to donate to your school or a charity, the smartest thing to do is to make it anonymous. They get the money, you don't get mail and phone calls asking for more.

This isn't true. At least for VT. I worked as a caller and there was no extra staffing around those times. poo poo really they were understaffed then because kids were away for winter/spring break.

Now what they maybe did was focused more on people who gave a lot or recently then, but I don't remember anything like that either.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
I've made one great best man speach that was short and sweet and one that was a rambling black out drunk mess.

My fav wedding story is when my now fiance went to a wedding in Ireland of her American friend and an Irish groom. Apparently in Ireland they don't really do open bars. So much so that when the bride put her foot down like a good bride and demanded it the catering company had to figure out how to charge them for it. Also the Irish guests, which made up the vast majority of those in attendance, couldn't really handle it and for a while apparently didn't believe that it was real. One Irish guest had a conversation with my fiance along the lines of "So this is at every American wedding? How do people not die?"

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
I'd love to see a mining school playoff. VT-penn state-utah-arizona. Idaho get the G5 ny6 spot. Wvu and Kentucky get left in the cold. Let's celebrate my weird little major.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

NFL preseason does not count.

Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

DJExile posted:

or just pick the best date possible because fall weddings are cool and anyone who is even the least bit legit concerned about not being able to watch a football game has their priorities way the gently caress out of whack

That was mostly my attitude. Our wedding date was picked by the venue since welp when it's free you don't get to pick. Ended up being the same day as VT-UNC but whatever. Only bummer is a good friend(and fellow goon) who is doing the college ref thing and welp can't take two Saturday's off in a season for weddings.

• Locked thread