Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

this season made me a kansas fan (when they're crushing texas dreams)

Your primer to Kansas fandom:

"When is midnight madness again?"

Man I've been thinking about the clock management at the end of that game and it actually offends me on some level. Not taking a time out to spike the ball screwing Clemson out of at least one potential goal line shot is one thing. A bad thing to my mind, but not the worst. But the onside kick. My god that was so horrible. That's the only way Alabama could have theoretically won the game outside of a return, a hail mary after an onside kick recovery. Hey, you want to avoid the chance of a return? Fine, do the same goddamned thing you'd been doing all game and pooch the ball high to the 35 or so.

They'd have been better off kicking the ball deep out of bounds.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wa27 posted:

If they pooch it high, fair catch could have been called (and it was earlier in the game). Onside was the only way to not give them ANY shot, so I kind of understand it. I bet they expected a dog pile, in which the one second would run out and it wouldn't matter who recovered. But the one thing you can't do is get illegal touching, which almost happened.

If Bama recovers with a knee on the ground the rule is the same as what happened with Clemson, no time elapses. I mean, Clemson did have to kneel the game out.

I'm fairly sure the clock doesn't start until possession is established, so a dogpile doesn't help at all. If I'm wrong on that point I guess that's a better idea than I'm giving it credit for.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

A: Get Low
B: Drive or at least plant your feet....oops.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pakled posted:

Yellow Jackets aren't bees :colbert:

Yeah they're evil assholes who should be slaughtered the second you detect their presence.

Prairie dogs are kind of engineery, like building huge burrows and stuff. Is anyone named the Prairie Dogs?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah they're evil assholes who should be slaughtered the second you detect their presence.

Prairie dogs are kind of engineery, like building huge burrows and stuff. Is anyone named the Prairie Dogs?

According to wiki literally no one in college sports, this is amazing to me.

We've got Prairie Fire, Prairie Wolves, Prairie Stars....man go with the rodents. Prairie View A&M University I'm looking at you, drop the Panthers and go with the dog. Sure they're a pest, but they're a noble pest.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

vyst posted:

Runny eggs are gross

No wonder you need to bury your eggs in hot sauce to disguise the taste if you cook them until the yolk is solid.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sterile, predictable, next to unstoppable if no one cheats anyone other than the passengers. There's an Alabama offense joke in there somewhere I'm sure.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

I have a six year old niece who is obsessed with football but also the mascots, both pro and college. You can give her like any team, even some obscure FCS team and she will know the mascot.

It's never too early to learn about the Fighting Okra.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I don't see the problem here?

--Gary Barnett

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Incoherence posted:

The time that angry Aggie fans surrounded the MOB in Rice Stadium was after a show that featured a formation of a fire hydrant (and a joke about Reveille pissing) and goose-stepping. There were no dead dog jokes that year.

Yeah but Reveille #whatever had died earlier that week or something right? And they were playing oh where or where has my little dog gone during the fire hydrant thing.

I mean it's still ridiculous and absolutely not worth laying siege to the band's locker room even if it was a dead dog joke, but I can see that being interpreted by idiots as a dead dog joke.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

From Lawrence so I'm going to guess Haskell Indian Nations University lost out on a recruit here?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

single-mode fiber posted:

If they didn't nail UNC, or when Baylor basketball covered up a murder, I have a hard time believing they'll actually hit Baylor the way they should.

They hit Baylor pretty hard for the murder coverup didn't they? Looking it up Baylor wasn't allowed to play out of conference games the next year, which is kind of a half death penalty I guess? A bunch of other things like recruiting visits being cut for years, also three coaches with 22 years worth of show causes, although that doesn't really hurt the program directly. Whatever happened they were godawful for four years after that, they really just lucked into Scott Drew and him sticking around through that.

I think that case was when everyone realized the death penalty would never happen again to a major program though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

You almost have to admire the gall of the man, with that bogus redemption tour crap.

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/765621164865499136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

Also, Baylor's president for this entire thing was Ken Starr :laffo:

Ken Starr after he quit was still talking about how good of a man Art Briles is and how this is all a witch hunt.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

It's a goddamn temporary fine. That's amazing.

gently caress the Big 12.

I mean on the one hand taking money away from them until they change is probably the best way to motivate them to do something.

On the other hand they're never going to be punished in any way shape or form for any of this other than settling lawsuits and that's just...ugh.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Lane Kiffin never saw a bridge he didn't want to burn down, so he's a natural enemy of transportation.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Wasn't there that smaller college band that got drilled because they were doing some insane hazing?

Some HBCU in Florida killed a guy hazing him a few years ago, it was a big deal. Well obviously, you know, because they literally beat someone to death for trying to be in the band.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Hey Andichu if you're lurking around here somewhere, what's your take on the Bruce Irvin/Skylar Howard war?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tactlessbastard posted:

Who else was thinking 'so what?' at that point of the story?

Yeah it took me a second.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh hey, Jeffrey Sandusky was a state prison guard on top of being a molester. Serving time is going to be particularly rough for him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh hey, SEC spring football schedule:

https://twitter.com/FBSchedules/status/831527514401042433?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Let's all get excited to watch bad football in April.

e: Holy poo poo Bama's spring game will be on ESPN proper, haha.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Turner Gill is going to be an FBS coach again?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

Mangino is an overrated factor in their success. Near the end, he was making incredibly boneheaded calls and didn't have a fully healthy Reesing to bail him out on it. There's a reason he failed at Iowa State too. The fandom for him needs to die.

Yeah I pretty much agree and not just out of a once rival team's perspective. Mangino recruited better than Kansas normally did (and much better than they have since he left) but was overall pretty mediocre with what he did with that talent. The 12-1 season was helped quite a bit by missing out on (at the time) the three best teams in the Big 12 south, it still would have been a good season but more like a 9-4, 10-3 year--still great by Kansas standards obviously but not a BCS bowl year. Outside of that Mangino had an 8-5 season the next year and a bunch of flirting with or just over .500 seasons before. Mediocrity at Kansas is still impressive of course, but some revisionists think of him going on a Bill Snyder type run and that was never happening.

The W/L record doesn't really back me up but I kinda think Glen Mason was the better Kansas coach between the two over the last 30 years or however long it's been.

quote:

The trick at this point is to recruit Missouri as well as possible, but with TCU now in the conference and Texas eventually picking back up, it's always going to be an uphill battle. My main hope is for KU to get Klingsbury-era TTU levels of mediocre. Anything more is going to take a massive foul up like mass transfers out of Baylor to Lawrence or some other miracle.

Part of the problem here is Missouri's in state recruiting problems have historically happened in St Louis instead of Kansas City (also I think St Louis generally creates more D1 prospects). It'd be a lot easier for KU to make inroads in KC but Mizzou's generally been pretty strong on that side of the state.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

All moves in Missouri should be to ensure you're leaving the state.

I mean I don't have a whole lot of argument here but this came up because of the idea of someone leaving Missouri to go to Kansas.

e: For an actual thought on all those 4 star guys I think there are actually 7? Maybe 8. I'd be pretty happy with 4, disappointed but ok with 3. Any less than that going to Mizzou is a disaster. 5 or more would make me buy into Odom's recruiting a lot more than I do right now.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 17, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Clemson's associate AD has gone missing

Yeah I saw that, that's a really weird story...one of those times where it might be appropriate to hope someone is going on a bender instead of lying dead somewhere.

DJExile posted:

Dennis Dodd of CBS sports is saying Tommy loving Tuberville is considering a 2018 run for governor of Alabama.

Well I thought it was weird to hope someone was going on a bender for the other thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Well, I'm sure stomping Florida by 30 to start next season will be the start of another sad overrated campaign

Are you mistaking Raku of all people for someone who would give a poo poo about Florida?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

But yeah, who did they beat last year that was of note: Wisconsin. Everyone else was... well Michigan State took a tremendous poo poo, Rutgers and Maryland have been also rans in CFB and only got added for basketball and I have no clue in Rutgers' case.

As it turns out Colorado was pretty good, although Michigan was the first to hurt their starting QB and they weren't as good without him. I guess Penn State was ok too, although unlike Colorado I don't think they were flying under the radar when they played Michigan, they just kinda sucked for a while and got better later in the season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pakled posted:

For every year of Good Football under Saban, God is going to punish Bama with two years of Bad Football. Read the Book of Job some time, heathens.

One of my favorite Nick Saban things is that the Satan thing honestly bothers him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

big money big clit posted:

Braxton Miller ran a 4.5 at the combine. Jake Stoneburner ran a 4.65. Philly Brown ran a 4.51.

So what you're saying is Ohio State didn't appreciate Philly Brown enough since they lied about him the least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thermos H Christ posted:

Texas is really good at Quidditch

Someone a year or so ago made a legit argument in SAS about Quidditch being a real sport.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Washington had one of these proposed too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

Is that supposed to be hard

Probably pretty rough on 300+ lb linemen, although I see a couple of dudes just lying on the ground instead of planking.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dilber posted:

So the latest Canes video is coach kool mic'd up at practice.

holy poo poo, mizzou. why would you pick literally anyone over him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5_A_Y74g4U

Supposedly he didn't get along with Odom. I'm trying to give him a few years before getting too angry but losing Kuligowski is the loving worst.

And the poo poo defense they installed last year instead of the one that produced, what, 6 or 7 first round DL? Yeah that didn't help.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
How many memorable college QBs (past like 1930) have worn a number outside of 1-20?

e: Doug Flutie for one other than Lorenzen.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 8, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh yeah I forgot about the Michigan guy, although that was a tribute and wasn't his normal number wasn't it?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

I'd like to keep OU and OK State, but we can still call it just the Texas Conference.

Nah, if we're imagining going back to something OU/Oklahoma State are already claimed by the Big 8, the best little conference ever.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/BradLoganCOTE/status/850756603892690944?ref_src=twsrc

I mean this is just too easy, it's not sporting to try for a joke here.

e: Oh he might have just been joking with some radio guys or something.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alaois posted:

I live in New Jersey, surrounded by amazing Brazilian barbecue places

The country of New Jersey might have something to do with your opinion.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo you aren't kidding
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news-politics/20170412/source-says-justice-trying-to-oust-marshalls-holliday-others

E: hell yeah the greenbrier, played golf there once

Well I guess we know who Andichu voted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

lamentable dustman posted:

- No more Individuals Associated With Prospects jobs : Means a school can't hire a parent, guardian or HS Coach into an admin job anymore to try and sign a kid. Has to be a 2 year waiting period. Schools can hire HS coaches into full assistant coach positions still. BBall has had this rule for a while now.

Is this a football only thing? It seems like a bigger issue in basketball, I say as a fan of a team who just signed the #1 recruit after hiring his dad.

• Locked thread