Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

There is a vaccine for that now....

Unrelated to college football but you're a doctor and all of the Mumps outbreaks in hockey over the last few years have puzzled me. Did those guys just not get MMR vaccines or are they susceptible to breaking down after a while? Or susceptible to like, being bombarded by a bunch of other dudes you're sharing a locker room with who have mumps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Raku posted:

no tiger team has ever been a legitimate national champion

Excuse me while I dig up some ridiculously over-researched article on why Missouri should have been a national champion (in basketball) sometime in the 20s.

e: This thing exists although I'm too lazy to find it. It was like FredEx's wiki page, a long string of text that no one in their right mind cares about.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

There's talent all over the team. OL and DL are stacked. LBs and secondary nearly all return. There's some question marks at WR and QB but I think we are due for a new QB to come in and tear poo poo up like every other team in the country seems to be able to do. Surely we can get to minimum 9 wins.

What would Butch have to do to keep his job out of curiosity? He was unfireable last year if I remember right but could be let go this year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kim Jong Il posted:

So no, you're 100% wrong, Google refuted exactly what he said.

I have absolutely no idea what this means.

Also from what I can tell you guys went to exactly one bowl before Greg Schiano got there. Maybe that plays into your weird point about not caring for a while but as a fan of a mediocre program man that kinda blows.

e: Christ my editing sucks.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Aug 17, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Bliss has had an NAIA gig sandwiched between two high school head coaching jobs. He didn't land that high school job until 5 years after the Baylor stuff. Granted, he was never as hot of a commodity as Briles, but the work he's gotten has been extremely low-profile, on the margins type stuff.

The most telling thing about Bliss is the way he hosed up that NAIA job. 15 years later or however long it was when that documentary about the Baylor basketball stuff came out for no reason at all he doubled down on "You remember that murder victim I slandered? Yeah he really was a bad guy, drugs all over the place."

I mean....just keep your mouth shut or say you got caught up in a process that you couldn't handle and you screwed up or something. Maybe actually apologize? Don't show everyone that you actually are that slimy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I thought this was a decent little read about Frank Broyles, who I didn't realize was such a visionary.

I mean he foresaw all the poo poo we don't like all that much about college football like how much money was in it for Arkansas to take off for the SEC, but he still saw it coming.

quote:

On June 17, 1990, the Arkansas Gazette’s Orville Henry, Broyles’s longtime confidant and the O.G. of sportswriting around these parts, wrote: “The SWC’s eight teams accrued a gross of $8 million in ancillary revenue; the SEC’s 10 teams amassed $18 million. There is a projection that an expanded SEC with Arkansas and one to three other teams would amass $40 million from TV sources already in place,” far outpacing the SWC’s TV package.

Interesting he was in on the money and realized how important conference affiliation would be to TV that quickly. There's also this:

quote:

Broyles took a calculated risk by jumping ship. “We had to move. We were going to get left out and the people told us we would be an independent if we hadn’t joined the SEC when we did,” he told Mattingly a few years ago. “When the Big 12 formed, we would have to be an independent and our program would go all the way to the bottom. Being in the Southeastern Conference kept us competitive in recruiting.”

but I'm not 100% sure he wasn't bullshitting or speaking in hindsight. It's one thing to realize Texas was gonna burn the SWC to the ground and another to realize Ann Richards was going to strongarm Baylor into the Big 12 before any of that went down. Arkansas was (and is) a much better get for a conference than Baylor.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Come on man, we need the also receiving votes.

Others receiving votes: TCU 98, Utah 85, Notre Dame 65, Boise St. 37, NC State 26, Northwestern 25, Pittsburgh 23, Oregon 21, Houston 19, Colorado 18, UCLA 9, San Diego St. 9, BYU 5, Appalachian St. 4, Nebraska 4, Tulsa 4, Kentucky 3, Texas A&M 3, Michigan St. 1.

Michigan State, heh.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Komet posted:

Also, I'm not sure how Ohio State is so high. I guess everyone assumes Kevin Wilson is going to turn around their hideously inept offense from last season and JT Barrett is salvageable.

He was great as a freshman over a decently large sample size, it doesn't seem out of the question that he's been misused the last couple of years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

all-Rush mixtape posted:

That doesn't look like a real tiger.

I'm sure it's because it's real young but the pose makes it look like a very big catlike puppy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I just got reminded that UAB football is back this year :unsmith:

I mean they'll be utter poo poo, but they'll play games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

Yeah, I think the proper take is:

Yeah I didn't want to quote myself but that :shobon:

Seriously though this seems like a whole bunch of dumb poo poo about nothing, except about nothing on the other side of what it originally seems to be dumb poo poo about.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I assume Miami's DL will be amazing.

I miss you Coach Kul :(

e: Having said that Terry Beckner Jr is healthy again and might be real real good this year.

Until his knee dies again. But until then!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

A conversation the other day led me to realize that outside of the SEC, I really don't give a poo poo about other teams/conferences. I'll watch the games, sure, but ultimately unless it affects Tennessee, I couldn't care less who wins or loses.

One..benefit? of changing conferences I've noticed. I still care way too much about the Big 12 and root against Texas (and obviously Kansas) every year. I'm pumped about watching OU/OSU/KSU fight things out this year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Trick plays rule and if you don't like them you don't like fun. :colbert:

This is the one thing I grudgingly like about Bert. He loves him some trick plays, and often includes fat men running them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LLCoolJD posted:

Didn't Paterno have a couple of unbeaten teams who were left out in the cold? The guy was a very good coach who had lasting success. I think he probably could've retired ten to fifteen years sooner than he did, though.

Edit: apparently he had five unbeaten teams, and won two national titles.

Four of them where he didn't win a Natty apparently. Oh with your edit maybe one of these is the Nebraska year where they shared?

Although 3 of those were in the first 8 years he was coaching.

e: Somehow PSU went 12-0 in 1973 and ended up ranked 5th. Behind 11-0 Notre Dame, 10-0-1 Ohio State, 10-0-1 Oklahoma (OU and tOSU ties unrelated by the way), and 11-1 Alabama. PSU did not play a ranked team until the last week of the regular season and in the bowl game. Bama lost to Notre Dame, which is why the AP apparently graded them higher with a loss.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dango Bango posted:

The 1994 championship wasn't shared.

Yeah I was mixing that up with the Scott Frost year which had to be like '97 or 8 right?

e: Oh poo poo I'm confusing Penn State with Michigan. I apologize to Michigan.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 28, 2017

• Locked thread