Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Preseason Coaches Poll is out.

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/

code:
1. Alabama (49)
2. Ohio State (5)
3. Florida State (4)
4. USC
5. Clemson (7)
6. Penn State
7. Washington
8. Oklahoma
9. Michigan
10. Wisconsin
11. Oklahoma State
12. LSU
13. Auburn
14. Stanford
15. Georgia
16. Florida
17. Louisville
18. Miami
19. Kansas State
20. West Virginia
21. South Florida
22. Virginia Tech
23. Texas
24. Tennessee
25. Utah
Also receiving votes: Washington State 99; Colorado 72; TCU 58; Boise State 49; Notre Dame 49; Texas A&M 46; Pittsburgh 45; North Carolina State 39; Oregon 37; Northwestern 25; Nebraska 23; Memphis 22; Arkansas 22; Mississippi State 19; San Diego State 18; Appalachian State 11; Brigham Young 10; Georgia Tech 10; Tulsa 10; Wyoming 9; Western Michigan 8; Temple 8; North Carolina 8; Houston 7; Troy 6; Minnesota 6; Iowa 5; Louisiana Tech 4; Syracuse 3; Arizona 2; Army 1; Colorado State 1; Michigan State 1; Maryland 1; Toledo 1; UCLA 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FizFashizzle posted:

lol uga ranked above georgia tech and app state, two teams they'll lose to this year

Insha'Allah

GT's got a lot of question marks this year, chief among them being how well we'll replace our historically great QB. Matthew Jordan did a good job against Virginia Tech last year but he also displayed a lot of glaring weaknesses and if he hasn't improved his passing game and option reading, we're sunk this year.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KKKLIP ART posted:

I know it is a stressful job and the days are long but fat coaches confuse me

It's what happens when you stop training like an athlete but continue eating like one.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

LeeMajors posted:

God. That game was horrible. I guess I got the sequencing wrong because so much bad poo poo happened in that game.

Driskel's entire career is summed up in the Mizzou game, and the pick-six leg break against Tennessee in 13 where Tyler Murphy came in and won the game.

He made Brantley look like Cam loving Newton.

Wasn't that Tennessee game the one where the home crowd cheered at his season-ending injury? That was pretty classy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/FauxPelini/status/893521522161274882

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ole Miss should just use the landshark as its mascot

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

After the first campus carry bill passed (the one that eventually got vetoed), I spoke with an old GT professor of mine who said that he legitimately feared for his life because of how often crying, emotionally distraught students came to his office hours and was strongly considering changing the way his office hours worked so they're in a public location.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Neil Armbong posted:

Fox Soccer Channel used to have a show called fanzone where a fan from each team would get to be a commentator for the game. Those were usually far more entertaining then the real broadcast of the game and more sports should embrace this.

I'm hoping we'll get all kinds of alternate audio/commentating options with the upcoming ESPN streaming service.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Why would they commit fraud for $1500, between five players they probably could have just asked their bagmen and gotten it no problem

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Pretty sure my parents still have a few unopened 1980 UGA National Champions coke bottles

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crotch Bat posted:

GT just pulls that old bullshit VT used to do ages ago where if they were at all favored or ranked they'll inevitably poo poo the bed but they're a goddamn unholy terror to play if they're the underdog and not talked about much. Expectations make GT crumble, I think every time they came out of the blue to win the Coastal and/or the ACC the next year they do awful when they're picked to win stuff. They're a pretty popular dark horse candidate this year so I'm not really sure how to take that.

Yup. GT crumbles if there's any kind of preseason expectations. Regardless, we've got a difficult schedule this year. We've got 3 teams that have a bye week before us (one of which is @Clemson so RIP). The Coastal's full of good-but-not-great teams and everyone except UVA and UNC seem to have a pretty decent shot at it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

I'm still laughing at this

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Fuuuck. Our other veteran B-Back left after last season too because he was frustrated at splitting time with Mills.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This significantly increases the odds that a man named Quaide Weimerskirch will get significant playing time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

pillsburysoldier posted:

Why was Mills kicked out?

Unspecified violation of team rules. Third strike. Both of his previous strikes were rumored to be missing team meetings.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Stingtalk is melting down right now.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In more minor GT news today, Paul Johnson said he knew which QB he's going to start against Tennessee, but won't reveal it publicly yet. GT fans had been pretty confident our starter was going to be Matthew Jordan (who you may remember going into Blacksburg last year with no expectations and upsetting VT) but recent practice reports had cast some doubt on that, with CPJ saying none of the QBs consistently "stood out" in fall practice. It's still probably going to be Jordan but there are 3 other guys who could make a case to start and I'd be happy with any of them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Roasted Donut posted:

how the hell does that even happen

Apparently it has something to do with the classes he's taking this term. They told him he'd be eligible with them but it turns out he's not.

edit: someone on reddit has a better and (I think) more correct explanation than me

randofootballguy posted:

I can explain: people in compliance and the recruiting department are responsible for academic evaluations. They have to come to college with 16 core credits. Now NCAA CORE CREDITS are different at every high school. Some high schools will give NCAA core credit for ASL classes for instance while some do not. Some poor low level recruiting assistant or intern who evaluated the high school transcript gave him core credit for a class he didn't actually earn core credit for. That would change his core gpa, and the amount of core credits. It's not a huge deal though. He redshirts, catches up on core courses and he's back in no time.

(although they're wrong about it not being a big deal, according to bleacherreport, he's not even allowed to practice with the team this season because of this fuckup)

Pakled fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 20, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Tomorrow morning, Georgia Tech is officially announcing an apparel deal with Adidas. Goodbye, Russell, nobody's sad to see you go.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm really excited about that game. It's been a while since GT's had a quality opponent for its first game of the year.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Former GT Athletic Association associate director

https://twitter.com/DeanBuchan/status/899969020044169216

lol

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

R.D. Mangles posted:

find me a funnier college football combination of words than University of Illinois Quarterback Jeff George Junior

University of Tennessee quarterback Jim Bob Cooter

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Do we have a Pick'em this year?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Randaconda posted:

Holy poo poo, that was a real thing? WTF

That thing was up for like 15 years, they only got rid of it in 2014

lol

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

vyst posted:

TFF College Pick Em
Get in the action now:
http://games.espn.com/college-footb...oupp=Z29vbnM%3D

Group: TFF 2017 College Pick Em'
Password: goons

Did it as confidence this year

Awesome, thanks :toot:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

kayakyakr posted:

It kinda blows my mind that the best game of the day (Oregon State vs Colorado State) is on CBSSN of all channels. At 1:30.

1. Who plays football at 1:30?
2. How did CBSSN wind up with that coup?

USF/SJSU is probably going to be a more fun game to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
NC State is perpetually the darkest of dark horses. They always feel like a better team than their record would indicate. If they were in the Coastal, they'd probably have a shot at the division most years, but the Atlantic is so top-heavy they never have any chance.

They were fun to watch when they had Jacoby Brissett, at least.

• Locked thread