Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

How is this not barbeque? Do you even know what the definition of bbq is?

You disgust me trying to pass off your non-beef/pork dishes as bbq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Texas's spring game just ended and I'm... honestly not sure what to make of it. The orange team won 52-51, but the scoring system they used was totally bizarre; I think there should be a breakdown of how it worked online somewhere. For example, they actually awarded points to each team for stuff that happened during pregame drills.

Shane Buechele looked alright and will probably be our starter again, although he and the receivers still need to work on completing passes. Sam Ehlinger looked like he had some work to do.

Would love for somebody that knows more about football than me to post a breakdown with their thoughts and opinions. Especially regarding the defense.

Watching it now, although I doubt I know more than you about what to look for. Buechele is making good throws, and the 1st team D-line is having its way with the 2nd team O-line. The 2nd team secondary seems to suck pretty bad; they're just straight-up losing receivers regularly.

I really don't think you can tell much from spring games, other than when things go terribly wrong.

:lol: They're renovating the locker room. $10 million, each locker will cost $10,500 and feature a 43-inch television.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Look man, it's easy to judge but every state has to find its own way to be itself, we can't all just worship corn.

Should we celebrate our awesome food or maybe blues or jazz? Nah, let's idolize the years where we tried to destroy the country so we could keep enslaving people.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Here's the problem: 'awesome food' and 'blues and jazz' weren't developed by the same people who fought for the Confederacy. They were, in fact, developed by the people the Confederacy wanted enslaved.

Yeah, so?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

all-Rush mixtape posted:

What I'm saying is that the people who wave confederate flags around don't celebrate those things as much since, you know, white people didn't invent them.

Yeah that makes those people even loving dumber than they already are.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/markb_wsfa/status/854495032384135169

His supporters got chased off campus (literally) by a crowd chanting "S-E-C"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

I understand if he said that at Liberty or some other school like that (BYU) it might go well, but to do that at Auburn or any other SEC school?

:laffo:

People were saying he poo poo talked Jesus too, so I don't think he'd do well at Liberty or BYU.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Hell yeah. We don't have much, that's why we treasure the moments we do have so dearly.

Let us have this while we can, it's only a matter of time before somebody poaches Stoops and/or the SEC East gets competent again.

The SEC East is always competent this time of year. poo poo there's probably two or three of them in the top 15 right now. Which is the new hotness that's totally going to be title contender and definitely won't lose 4 or 5 games? Florida?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

I mean, you do cheer for Texas.

You prompted me to look up the way too early rankings and holy poo poo:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18395211/alabama-crimson-tide-florida-state-seminoles-headline-way-too-early-top-25-2017

quote:

25. Texas

2016 record: 5-7, 3-6 Big 12
Returning starters: 8 offense, 10 defense, 1 special teams

Key losses: RB D'Onta Foreman, WR Jacorey Warrick, G Kent Perkins, TE Caleb Bluiett, SS Dylan Haines

Outlook: Former Houston coach Tom Herman won't work miracles in his first season in Austin, but the Longhorns will have a chance to finish among the top four teams in the Big 12. Herman won 13 games in his first season as a head coach, and he'll be inheriting more talent at UT. Quarterback Shane Buechele gives Herman a chance to win right away, but the Longhorns will miss 2,000-yard rusher D'Onta Foreman. As many as 10 starters are expected back on defense, and that's where Herman and his staff need to do the most work. UT will get a big early test at USC on Sept. 16, and the Longhorns will play Big 12 road games at Baylor, TCU and West Virginia.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, there's still Mayans? I thought they were long gone even by the time of the Aztecs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

I'm down with this one. That was just laziness on the officials' part.

Does anyone have the link to the story a few years ago where Baylor was putting up conference/divison championships on their stadium walls that they had 0% right to claim? I can't find it anymore.

Are you thinking of A&M?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

Yeah, not sure why I was thinking Baylor.

:lol: at claiming 1997 Big 12 champions.

That 2010 one is a doozy as well.

quote:

• In 2010, there was a three-way tie in the Big 12 South, with Texas A&M coming in third by the tiebreaker of overall record. (There was also a tie in the North division, meaning that literally every team that finished above .500 can technically boast a conference championship that season.) The Aggies didn't even go to the conference title game, but still claim the conference title.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quandary posted:

Legit question is making your school after a group a bad thing always? Obviously if it's a slur IE Redskins that's awful but having them be the Aztecs isn't necessarily bad or derogatory.

It's very possibly that this post is on the wrong side of history.

It's fine if they're looooooong gone, Trojans, Spartans.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh the Vandals. Forgot about the Vandals.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TipTow posted:

For the few OU posters (or anyone else, I guess) who still occasionally lurk the thread: I'm putting the O/U on "Sooners" getting replaced at 15 years. Any takers?

OU naming themselves after a bunch of land thieves is the best thing about OU.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Vince Young comeback video get hype :woop:

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-texas/article144535069.html

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Welcome to FAU OU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

jesus :stare:

I get wanting to create your own identity as a new coach with a program but goddamn, Willie. making GBS threads all over your upper classmen isn't a great way to do that

Ah, the ol' Charlie Strong Method.

Poor Charlie :(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TipTow posted:

I'm admittedly not a business person, so what the hell do I know, but...how much money is laying off 100ish people going to save? I'm under the impression ESPNs problems are in the 100s of millions of dollars range.

People are cutting cable, and ESPN has been a poo poo product for a long time. I would think retaining people to improve quality would be the way to go.

I guess like $5 million a year if you take an average salary of $50,000. The dozens that are public are all talent who for sure make more than that, but then they're probably axing a bunch of behind the scenes people too. Then health and retirement benefits that they don't have to pay for those people as well.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah they laid off the Big 12 blogger :(

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

If I had it to do all over again, I'd work to become a career longsnapper. Free college, league minimum is almost a half-million now, and I get to play the sport I love while minimizing the potential that when I'm 42 I won't be able to remember what a toaster does.

Plus, even after you leave football, there's always a chance the long snapper for whatever NFL team is closest to you gets hurt and you get the call.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I don't think it's really fair to judge an entire university just by the actions and words of its coaches, students, administrators, fans, and alumni.

Live mascots are the only real way to judge a school's character.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Incoherence posted:

Thus why Ohio University is the best university in the Midwest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=577hN8tQM6g

Haha, right in front of the end zone prayers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Good work if you can get it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

Can someone hook a brother up with a dacoacho approved gumbo recipe? i wanna get in on that dang good cajun food action

I don't know how to make it, but you want the chicken​ and sausage kind, not the seafood kind.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Limas Sweed just popped up as online on my Facebook messenger, reminding me that Facebook was a weird place a decade ago.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Uhmmmmmm, yeah sure why not? It'd be nice to have a good backup and redshirt Ehlinger.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I had absolutely no idea Pittsburgh was a pre-WW2 college football powerhouse.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Documents: Baylor, Pepper Hamilton shifted relationship to establish attorney-client privilege

If I'm reading this correctly, Baylor hired this law firm to investigate, and then when it started looking like they were uncovering just a ton of horrible horrible poo poo, Baylor was like, "How about you guys are our attorneys now so that all these findings are protected?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm still not clear on why a coach can stop an adult and a different university from entering into an agreement with one another. The guy's leaving K State, so why does Snyder get any say in his life at all anymore?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

I mean, it makes some sense to me to block transfers in-conference or even to teams on the next year's schedules. Picking up a player from a conference rival could give the team gaining the player valuable insight into how the other operates.

But that same deal applies to coaches, even moreso, and it happens all the time.

I get that, but that's a minor thing and shouldn't outweigh a student's ability to go to the college of their choice.

It is a dumb rule. The NCAA sucks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Also I do get the idea that you want guys to stay at a school to have a stable environment for their education in theory, instead of leaving every season for whoever offers the best combination of playing time and chance to win, it's just they always manage to implement that in a way that amounts to only loving the players.

I doubt it would happen that often, but even if it did, who am I to judge?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

That offense you like is going to come back in style

Zone read? gently caress yeah!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wow, OU is losing a hell of a coach there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

I wouldn't argue against anyone walking away from coaching because they wanted a life, but 56 is pretty young for a major college coach to do that right?

I guess Urban Meyer for health wanting out of Florida reasons. How many other guys have done this?

Eh, it's a really stressful job that has probably already shortened his lifespan. And he's made tons of money off it. Why not just go out and enjoy what you've earned before you're too old and infirm?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

C. Everett Koop posted:

Joe Mixon not ring a bell? That alone should have been termination with cause.

Hey don't forget DeDe Westbrook and Dorial Green-Beckham.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

So someone poorly 'shopped Tom Herman in an A&M cap?

Lone Star Showdown revival confirmed

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

Also holy poo poo Texas has a magazine for high school football. Also holy poo poo Texas has 1400 football teams.

If a school is too small to field a team, they play 6 man.

EDIT: Behold the glory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYLKW-euMDA

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Blake Gideon

How dare you speak his name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

If it buries Ole Miss, its cool by me.

Are there ever any actual consequences for schools and coaches any more? It seems like the NCAA exists only to gently caress athletes who wash their cars with "university water" or eat too much pasta at a graduation banquet.

• Locked thread