Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Joe knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

:siren: :siren: :siren: GEORGIA IN A NON-NOON START :siren: :siren: :siren:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

some time-zone, somewhere, it is always noon.

McGarity's already lobbying to have ND's return trip to Athens as the SECN early game.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Todd Grantham is a steak-headed jackass, and his players follow suit. I don't care if Jeremy Pruitt chased some strange to Athens or tried to DDT Brian Schottenheimer during a coaches' meeting (actually that one's good) or hated everyone and everything about his time at UGA, he was a hundred steps above what Grantham was putting on the field.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sherman gave Atlanta an infrastructure and buildup aesthetic that it's followed ever since. I think the oldest building in the city right now might be from the 1970s.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

DJExile posted:

Spike Dykes has passed away at age 79 :rip:

Have a looksee at the SWC standings the year Dykes took Texas Tech to the Cotton Bowl:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

One "storyline" from UGA's camp is that our O-line is actually moving people, which was never talked about at all last spring camp, so maybe we are a little better in the run game / pass protection this upcoming season. It really can't be any worse than last year

Georgia averaged 4.3 YPC against Nicholls State last season. I still can't comprehend that, except I was in the stands and 4.3 actually seems like a lot from what I saw.

vikingstrike posted:

Late 2000s was some how worse from what I recall.

If we're talking 2009 and 2010, those were meh OLs at best but the entire team stunk so they, erm, fit in well I guess. My "favorite" lovely UGA OL is 2003, where they let David Greene get sacked a million times and forced the team to have the worst rushing stats in the SEC. Made the SECCG anyway and were a couple missed FGs away from the BCS because the defense was stocked with NFL talent.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

In 2017's upset of the year already, UGA's loss to game against Appy State has been scheduled for a 6:15 start instead of the Greg McGarity Memorial Sanford Stadium SECN Noon Every Goddamn Week slot.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Pakled posted:

I'm still slightly pissed about 2014 COFH getting a noon game on the SEC Network. It was a loving rivalry game between the #9 and #16 ranked teams, that should have been a big deal, dammit.

Yeah, and the winner was likely going to a NY6 bowl. I enjoyed UGA beating Tech and going to the Peach Bowl in the universe where Mark Richt doesn't call for a squib kick

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I grew up in Raleigh and currently reside in Atlanta. Not only is Charlotte about equidistant between the two as driving goes, it's equidistant in character – combining Atlanta's penchant for tearing everything down with Raleigh's boring-white-suburbanites-uber-alles genericness.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Stuff I hope UGA fixes:

1. An offensive line. Really I don't see how it could be worse, and spring games being spring games, it doesn't seem like our 1st string o-line could keep up with our 1st string defense. We have a super nasty backfield with Chubb, Michel, Holyfiled, Herien, and Swift. If we can't run with the, what the hell man. Also, I think that Eason would be a bit better if he had a few seconds to make a throw instead of being under pressure every single snap.

2. Jim Chaney's play calling. Everyone used to gnash their teeth about Bobo doing something dumb, but when Bobo did dumb stuff, UGA was averaging over 35 points a game. I'm not totally convinced Chaney is going to get us where we need to go in the long run. We don't really have any offensive style or consistency as it stands.

3. General game management. Smart was a first year head coach, so I expected some growing pains, so hopefully he grows into the station and learns more of the game-day stuff.

4. Turf at Neyland Stadium so nobody blows any ligaments

Really defense was ok enough to keep us in every game we wanted to be in last season with the exception of maybe Ole Miss. If we can polish the turd that was the 2016 offense and turn it into something serviceable, we should at least be competitive.

5. Be actually watchable.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/872531544501440512

Still though. Odd to do it in June.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Quandary posted:

Nope. Riley has done very well in his limited time at OU and had been fairly openly being groomed as the HC in waiting, and I can't think of who else I would want that's available. I kinda figured Riley would take over but didn't think it would be near this soon.

hey remember when Mark Richt was considering but not really considering Lincoln Riley and instead went with Brian Schottenheimer ha that was a hoot wasn't it I'm sure Schotty's in line for a major HC gig somewhere these days

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Woah

Is this effective immediately?

yep.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Worth noting that

- That only tied the game; the Dawgs needed a PAT to take the lead and the kicking game was garbage that night; and
- Mizzou was on their way to getting in FG range for a game-winner but their dude straight up dropped the ball on a nice gain

His performance art could've ended much, much more tragically. He'll learn. You only celebrate UGA wins half a year later when the game is finally over, no one got hurt, no one got drunk and drove in the celebration that night, and no one got pinched for weed in the offseason.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 19, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Not bad. That gradient-but-more-a-rainbow thing Arizona had been doing didn't work for me.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Here's a compilation of SEC media guides for 2017.

Missouri 2017: "gently caress it."

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vyst posted:

They use small sentences so the Kentucky community can read it

That font treatment looks like a PSA against child abuse.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

I really like the Vols one. Whoever does their graphic/social media etc are really good.

"Use the angles of the state of Tennessee's shape when forming letters/words" sounds like it'd get real old real quick, but kudos to them that they make it look neat.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Awwwwww yeah. That's the good stuff.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Cam Newton was a generational talent, without him Chizik showed that he was Gene Chizik, and 2013 Auburn is the gold standard for Luckiest Team In Human History; outside of that they're a solid 8-4 program these days.

Auburn having to become a pass-first team in the second half in Athens last season was :discourse:

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 14, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Speaking of which, kudos to Wake Forest for the Worst Scheduled OOC Opponent Ever:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

lol at lsu kneeling on the one.

Some more LSU-related kneeling

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vikingstrike posted:

Herbstreit can suck infinite dicks forever because of how he changed his tune between 2007 and the loving terrible Alabama Lsu rematch year.

It took ESPN all of one season to change their tune; when USC lost to Oregon State early in 2008, they were already making arguments midseason that the Trojans would deserve the BCSCG even if they didn't win the Pac-10.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Please come back full-time, Thujone.

Fuckin trackpad, man.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

So here is Nick Chubb squatting 600lbs way easier than anyone should ever squat 600lbs :stare: :

https://twitter.com/KirbySmartUGA/status/889483117672767488

Nick was just another guy for most of last season, but he looked a lot better the last...we'll say fourth of the year. Was unstoppable the second half of the bowl.

Man, gently caress Neyland Stadium. It's hard to overstate how much of a honkin' beast Chubb was in 2014 and the first half of 2015 before he went down. Stats outshone even Gurley at times, and the eye test was great too.

miss u boo

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I'll once again quote from my most favorite column ever from the BCS era written by Al Neuharth of all people:

quote:

For the second year in a row, the unbeaten champion of the underrated WAC (Western Athletic Conference) has been snubbed in the college football Bowl Championship Series title game.

Last year it was 12-0 Boise State. This year it is 12-0 Hawaii, which deserved better alohas than it got in the BCS selections.

Sure, twice-beaten LSU and once-beaten Ohio State played tougher schedules than Hawaii. But their Jan. 7 title game doesn’t excite many fans beyond Ohio and Louisiana, even though it might be a barn-burner. Unbeaten Hawaii vs. Ohio State would have had national appeal.

Underrated Boise State wowed us when it beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl last year. Hawaii, which had Boise State as well as Pac-10 Washington among its regular season victims this year, will shock Georgia in the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1.

Because I'm a terrible college football fan, I would email Al every week after that Sugar Bowl for about half a year telling him how my watch party sucked because the opponent was so terrible, but never received a response. And I never will, seeing how he's dead.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Georgia was probably the second or third best team in the country that year.

Georgia consolation prize in 2007 is that they were tangentially a part of two of the best quotes of that season: Mike Gundy's I'M A MAN I'M 40 and Mike Patrick daydreaming about Britney Spears.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Moglia is an interesting case, a big business guy who leaves that all behind and says "you know what I want to do? COACH FOOBAW"...but who puts in the time and effort to actually get good at it rather than trying to buzzword bullshit his way to wins.

e: Shawshank Redemption is middlebrow "prestige" flimflammery

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Crazy thing is that he came in as the huge get with Todd Gurley looking to be his backup.

I always had a suspicion that Keith was higher rated because he played his games in the middle of Raleigh, while Todd played in BFE. From Game 1, Keith was definitely fast, but Todd was obviously a more complete package.

Also, both were going to be Isaiah Crowell's backups in an alternate timeline.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Holy poo poo, I missed Musburger retiring? Thank goodness.

Last game ever was a Georgia/Kentucky basketball game of all things. (Game was pretty good – went to overtime – but still.)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

UGA was ghastly in its bad performances and problematic in even its good ones last season; I wouldn't pre-rank them at all frankly.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

I agree; I'd have to wait and see after our first 4 or 5 games to get a sense of where this team is. Of course, I imagine most teams would say the same about themselves, but Georgia is especially prone to...let's call it "swinginess."

Whatever do you mean.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

pillsburysoldier posted:

Treon Harris beating UGA after completing like 2 passes is among my favorite football memories

WHYDJA FIRE RICHT HUH??????

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

Apparently in UGA's camp, the defense has totally been owning the offense. If our offense is like last year, it doesn't surprise me at all.

2014 Georgia averaged 41 points a game. This team might hit 41 once this season (Samford).

Hot drat, I miss being good at offense. And to think people complained. To think.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Gene Chizik kept South Carolina out of the 2011 SEC Championship Game, allowing us to be the ones to be massacred by LSU, and for that, we thank him.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

"According to Clay Travis..."

Like, that should halt anything you're about to complain about. Put it on the shelf next to "According to this latest study by the Church of Scientology..."

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

god I had forgotten '11 Auburn-South Carolina, what a terrible game

Lutzenkirchen's last big touchdown, no? :unsmith:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Sanford Stadium's (mis)use of rap at certain times actually makes me agree with the old farts.

(UGA stuffed on 3rd and short for the 5th straight aborted drive)
PANDA PANDA PANDA PANDA PANDA

Oh yeah, I'm very much motivated now as a fan, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

I was physically jolted just now remembering that we play Michigan in 6 days and I suddenly got really nervous.

:ohdear:

Florida is going to get double-dumptrucked by Michigan and FSU, then beat Tennessee 10-9 and UGA 7-2, winning the East at 5-3. You know it to be true.

• Locked thread