Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Tech lost a walk-on QB to cancer :(

http://www.kulr8.com/story/36083390/bakers-luke-gonsioroski-passes-away-after-long-battle-with-cancer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Speaking of just reading headlines:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/candid-coaches-the-most-overrated-and-underrated-coaches-in-college-football/

Of note: 48 percent of coaches asked didn't name an overrated coach at all.

Bill Snyder is so far ahead as underrated...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
You know, I actually support this whole school radio thing. They could swap crews based on either who is winning or who is on offense. ESPN would have to license the calls from the schools, too, which will be cheaper than their own announcers but also provide more cash for the schools themselves.

A lot of regional basketball games wind up being the home team's radio crew, which isn't bad (when your team is at home)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
We're driving to Florida from Texas through Baton Rouge, Tallahassee, and Gainesville. We're planning on stopping at the respective stadiums to go oooh ahh as we look on from the outside.

Unfortunately, I don't think that we're going to be in any of those places in time to actually eat food. Just in case, any lunch recommendations in Baton Rouge or Gainesville? Breakfast recommendations in Tallahassee?

Any other must-stops on the way? Dinner will prolly be in either Mobile or Pensacola.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

pillsburysoldier posted:

What day will you be there? Brunch in tallahassee loving rules

Nah, Thursday morning.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

swickles posted:

I haven't been there in years, but one place in Gainesville that was the tits when I was there is The Top. Its only open for dinner though, but great food, and according to google it is still there and highly rated.

That doesn't help... We'll be in Titusville/Cocoa by then.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So saw the fsu and Florida stadiums today. FSU wouldn't let us in (and I didn't want to walk around to the other side to get to somewhere that might let me in). Florida's stadium is wide open, though which is super cool. The trophy room is cool too. Fun times. Rocket launch in the morning.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
1. Stanford
2. Texas Tech

Size matters, people!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Randaconda posted:

If Louisville goes undefeated, they'll have a resume as good as anybody's. If they drop one of FSU/Clemson, they might need help.

I think the ACC's gonna eat itself this year and everyone in the Atlantic's gonna wind up with 2 losses. At that point, it all depends on how the tie breakers work out and how the committee compares 2-loss conference champs.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
We also have Oregon State visiting Colorado State on a channel that no one actually gets:

http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

Plus Hawaii going to UMass on streaming platforms, and a bunch of FCS-involving games.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I get CBS Sports Network. Now, the Hawaii-UMass game? I have no clue how anyone outside of NESN territory watches it.

It's the last network without a good streaming option. This is the first season that they'll have a signed-in stream, but they only have 7 or so providers and one of those is Hulu Live. Neither of the Satellite providers.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^ Vue is just cable with a different delivery method.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Colorado State has a brand new stadium that is super gorgeous and I think the Fightin' Mike Bobos will be in the running for the GS Bowl spot

New stadium is nice. Huge upgrade over Hughes

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

He seems like he's in a way better spot to win titles now so why? He's built a machine there in terms of recruiting and they've been super supportive when it comes to shelling out for top tier assistants, the only place I would even consider if I were him is Bama and even then I don't think I'd do it.

No reason to go anywhere but the NFL if he gets bored of playing for championships at Clemson. The only other reason you'd make that move is to prove that you can build someone from nothing. But that'd take a crazy move to somewhere like an ISU or Kentucky.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

vyst posted:

TFF College Pick Em
Get in the action now:
http://games.espn.com/college-footb...oupp=Z29vbnM%3D

Group: TFF 2017 College Pick Em'
Password: goons

Did it as confidence this year

is 1 confidence your most confident or least? I can't tell >_<

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Joey Freshwater posted:

A conversation the other day led me to realize that outside of the SEC, I really don't give a poo poo about other teams/conferences. I'll watch the games, sure, but ultimately unless it affects Tennessee, I couldn't care less who wins or loses.

What would you guys think about doing a thread where we each get a team in a different conference to root for, randomly selected by other goons? Like a raffle system of some kind where if I were to match up with pillsburysoldier, for example, they would pick a team in another conference (can't be their own team or someone on my teams schedule) for me to root for. That includes rooting against rivals if there are any.

I would have no idea how to implement this but I thought it would make the season more interesting.

e: also disclaimer that my level of effort into this would be super low and I'm hoping someone else would want to pick it up

We used to do adopt-a-mid-major. That was fun. Then it got to be :effort:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I usually pick a team in each major conference (aside from the Big XII) to root for when the year starts based on various interests or how much I like their coach or something like that.

This year it'll prolly be: UW (pet a dubs), NW (usually), and LSU (I like Dave Aranda). Haven't picked an ACC team, but I'm rooting against Syracuse. Also rooting for SDSU (dunno why, just like SDSU), Tulane (I like Willie Fritz), BGSU (Mike Jinks), and Troy (For some reason I like Neal Brown too?).

Who should I pick in the ACC?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Ungratek posted:

Yeah but it also led to a hilarious meltdown by someone about how adopting a mid major team was elitist by major conference programs

It went on for paaaaages

oooo, I remember that. That was amazing.

e: someone also got upset at me for calling CSU's Hughe's Stadium "cute"

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Neil Armbong posted:

Conference solidarity is the stupidest thing. I want every other member of the big 12, especially OU, to get housed as often as possible, especially in bowl games.

This is true, gently caress the rest of the Big XII, especially OU.

Maybe this is why the Big XII will cease to be a think in 8ish years.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Seaniqua posted:

Tell you what, I already created a TFF league on Yahoo against the spread without confidence points, so we might as well. I'll join the confidence league, too.

:siren: :siren: :siren:
If you want to join the against-the-spread TFF pick 'em league, I have to send you an invite, which requires that I have your e-mail. Post your e-mail here, PM it to me, or e-mail it to me. My e-mail address is splomax at gmail dot com.
:siren: :siren: :siren:

You don't need to do this.

It's group 1941, password: freshwater

There, now anyone can join.

Dango Bango posted:

NCAA Week 0: You're drat right I'm watching Hawaii/UMass

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

The email thing was a trust exercise man, you're spoiling it.

Screw your trust falls, man.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

This week zero lineup has me all confused like holy poo poo it's finally here but also like awww no it isn't

It kinda blows my mind that the best game of the day (Oregon State vs Colorado State) is on CBSSN of all channels. At 1:30.

1. Who plays football at 1:30?
2. How did CBSSN wind up with that coup?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Pakled posted:

USF/SJSU is probably going to be a more fun game to watch.

Could be good too, but fails to feature a P5 team in what should be a competitive matchup. In fact, I'd be disappointed if USF doesn't win that by 20+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thoguh posted:

I resubscribed to PSVue yesterday in preparation for today without actually checking what channels these games were on. I think I actually get one of them. Who starts early to play on a web cast our third tier network? I thought the while point of weird game times was to get exposure.

Hulu might be your best bet? I'll be using the free trial to stream CBSSN today.

• Locked thread