Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Did a quick, very unscientific evaluation of relative bowl difficulty across the P5 conferences by taking each conference's four best teams and finding the average ranking of their bowl opponents. Figured it was roughly a good indicator as the rest of the bowl games would likely follow this pattern. For unranked teams I just gave them the ranking of #26 for lack of a better way/imagination.

1. Big 10 - 9.25

2. Pac 12 - 11

3. SEC - 12.5

4. ACC - 13.5

5. Big 12 - 19

Would actually been have a bigger disparity between the B1G and rest if unranked teams were given a ranking of higher than 26.

Then adding up point disparity in those games, the rankings go:

1. SEC - +48
2. Big 12 - +34
3. ACC - +23
4. B1G - -27
5. Pac 12 - -42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Komet posted:

6. Ohio State
7. Penn State

Penn State lost one more game than Ohio State. Not sure why that is so hard for you to understand.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Komet posted:

USC lost one more game than Washington. Are you seriously going to argue that UW is a better team, right now, than USC?

You can't just discount the actual games played because of gut feelings and eyeball tests. In 06 everyone 'knew' the two best teams in the country were OSU and Michigan - you really going to tell me Florida should be playing OSU in the NCG? Earlier in this season many people thought Louisville was the only team that had a chance of beating Bama.

Aside from all that, its tricky to penalize a team for losing in a playoff game. AND one of USC's losses was Alabama's second biggest margin of victory of their entire season, second only to Kent State, by two whole points. So yeah I don't think its outrageous to rank UW above USC.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

iospace posted:

If we're going by losses, it should be Clemson, Alabama, then Western Michigan :colbert:

Going by losses and wins.

Ohio State beat three teams in the final top 10, including scheduling a marquee OOC opponent. Losses to #1 and #7.
Penn State beat two teams in the final top 10. Did not schedule a tough OOC opponent. Losses to #3, #10, unranked Pitt.

I get the idea of Penn State's head to head counting for a lot but so should everything else, its at the very least close enough to where I dont understand any indignation.

• Locked thread