Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Problem description: Built a new system back in November, went to turn it on today, the power light turned on, the light on my GPU turned on, but the fans did not start spinning and nothing came on screen. After holding down the power button to turn off and troubleshoot, the light / assumedly power came back on after a few seconds.

Attempted fixes: Removed (in order) Wireless card, old HDD (still has SSD in system), GPU. Changed RAM channels. Checked power connections to Mobo. Re-attempted after each step.

Recent changes: None

--

Operating system: Ubuntu 16.04 on removed HDD, Windows 7 and Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 on SSD

System specs: i3-6100
Asrock Z170M Pro4s
Team Dark 16gb DDR4 3000 ram
Corsair RM550
ASUS RX 470 Strix OC
WD Green 2tb HD
Samsung 250gb 850 evo
some TPlink wireless adapter carried over from my old build

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Disconnect the SSD and try one stick of RAM and see if you can get into BIOS.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nope, not with either stick in any of the slots. The CPU fan does spin around upon power off.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I moved the SSD, GPU and PSU into my old build, the fans spun but I got a blank screen. Put the old PSU back in and it booted fine. Unfortunately I can't test to see if the GPU is alright as the old PSU doesn't have the connections. I moved the old PSU to the new build but got no results.

Edit: grammar

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 12, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The new build isn't working with onboard video so the GPU is probably okay. Trying another new PSU at this point is the simplest option.

You could also try taking the motherboard out of the case and putting it on a nonconductive surface. Then using a key/paperclip to bridge the powerpins on the motherboard to turn it on (that would eliminate some electrical/case power button issues).

• Locked thread