Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Season two of Colony premieres Thursday, January 12th at 10pm eastern on USA Network.

quote:

In the wake of a mysterious alien invasion, a family fights to stay together in a new world order. When USA Network’s critically acclaimed series COLONY returns for Season 2, alien intelligence are still in control of a near-future Los Angeles. In an effort to get their son back, Will (Josh Holloway) has been cooperating with the Collaborators and now knows about his wife Katie’s (Sarah Wayne Callies) alliance with the Resistance. With her secret out and finding themselves on opposite sides of the battle, have they jeopardized any hope of reuniting their family?

Want a recap of season one?
USA has one for you right here!
Also, A guide to the S2 premiere.

Cast:

quote:

Josh Holloway as Will Bowman
Sarah Wayne Callies as Katie Bowman

quote:

Peter Jacobson as Alan Snyder
Amanda Righetti as Madeline Kenner
Tory Kittles as Broussard

quote:

Adrian Pasdar as Nolan Burgess
Kathleen Rose Perkins as Jennifer McMahon

quote:

Alexander Neustaedter as Bram Bowman
Isabella Crovetti as Grace Bowman
Jacob Buster as Charlie Bowman

Media
Season 2 trailer
Season 2 trailer #2
"Survive" promo
"The Darkest Hour" promo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
On a scale of "V the Miniseries" to "V (2009)" where does this show rank? I was curious during the first season but never was able to catch more than bits of episodes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shbobdb posted:

On a scale of "V the Miniseries" to "V (2009)" where does this show rank? I was curious during the first season but never was able to catch more than bits of episodes.

Better than both of those. It's a pretty drat good show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the show could be better than it is -- speaking as someone who loves kitchen sink dramas, the husband/wife and family drama is very weak tea -- but it's also the closest we've gotten to Half Life Episode 3, and I'll take that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm kinda surprised how much I'm looking forward to this show being back. Overall the reception in last year's thread was quite good, I think most of us all liked it. I feel like the best description of this show is take the premise of Falling Skies but don't make it hate-watchable garbage the way Falling Skies was.

Is Peter Jacobson confirmed to be back? I just assumed he was done after last season.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

X-O posted:

Better than both of those. It's a pretty drat good show.

I said "V the miniseries" not "V the series", so I'm going to give you one chance to take that back before we all say something we are going to regret. I'll see if I can find S1. Is it on any of the major services (Amazon/Hulu/Netflix) or On Demand?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shbobdb posted:

I said "V the miniseries" not "V the series", so I'm going to give you one chance to take that back before we all say something we are going to regret. I'll see if I can find S1. Is it on any of the major services (Amazon/Hulu/Netflix) or On Demand?

I know very well what you said.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That picture of Josh Holloway in the OP looks really weird and videogame-y.

Anyway, looking forward to this tonight. Hopefully we get some more stuff on the Moon.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Actually this is how Josh Holloway looks videogame-y.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

muscles like this! posted:

That picture of Josh Holloway in the OP looks really weird and videogame-y.

Why are all sci-fi promo character headshots filmed inside a dark concrete cell in a former Soviet prison anyway

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Interesting to see them just jumping right into the prequel episode.

Edit: Kind of funny how even when he was being "honest" Snyder was still lying about his past.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 13, 2017

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Inside Job Independence Day is actually a pretty nice idea for an episode.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I love this show so goddamn much. I was a little worried when I found out the premier was going to be a flashback episode, but it was very well executed.

Anyone got any theories on the "invaders?" How they were able to convince a bunch of people to betray their own species and work for them? Do you think they are even alien or is this going to turn out to be some elaborate human conspiracy?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Acacia REI posted:

I love this show so goddamn much. I was a little worried when I found out the premier was going to be a flashback episode, but it was very well executed.

Anyone got any theories on the "invaders?" How they were able to convince a bunch of people to betray their own species and work for them? Do you think they are even alien or is this going to turn out to be some elaborate human conspiracy?

I'm putting my money on "hyper advanced humans from the future or an alternative universe".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Acacia REI posted:

How they were able to convince a bunch of people to betray their own species and work for them?

A mixture of shock and awe given how the invaders wipe all the nations states in a blink of the eye, also how collaborators seem to have a much better quality of life compared to everyone else.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Acacia REI posted:

The same way Europeans did it with the native americans? ^^
And no I don't think it's some elaborate human conspiracy because that would be really, really dumb and unplausible (just like time travel suggestions or unnecessary alternate universes).
There is no reason why aliens can't be "just" aliens. The "mystery" is not who or from where they are, it's what their motivations are (why "enslave" only a certain part of the human population? why care about earth at all? why do they rely on humans to rule over other humans? and so on...)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Felt like it was over way too quickly, but still a fun episode.

"Would you like to watch as we murder your family in front of you, then sent you to moonbase hell, or would you like to rule over your own little fiefdom in luxury. Your decision will have no effect on our success since we won already. You have five seconds to decide." isn't a hard question to answer, plus they already has psychological profiles that indicated their candidates would be game.

I'm also on board with them just being aliens. When everything has to have a twist, maybe not having a twist can in fact be the twist?

The aliens are definitely interested in the human population for some reason. Last season evil governor lady said that an uprising in Seattle was quelled with minimal loss to population, which pleased the hosts.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Not a fan of the season premiere prequel episode, hopefully season 3 doesn't start off with a clip show or a crossover episode with America's Next Top Model

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I'm honestly hoping they are just aliens as well. TBH "human conspiracy" just seems too predictable. I remember for most of the first season thinking "the writers just want us to think it's aliens so they can 'shock' us later by revealing it's humans." Either way though, I really hope we at least find out before too long. If not this season, maybe the next.

etalian posted:

A mixture of shock and awe given how the invaders wipe all the nations states in a blink of the eye, also how collaborators seem to have a much better quality of life compared to everyone else.
I'm talking about before the arrival. In the season premier they showed that they already had human supporters before the attack.

I mean I'm not saying I'd be super surprised about humans betraying each other for power, I just like reading people's specific theories about how they were approached and stuff.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Though this would have made for a great two parter, I did enjoy it. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more of these to show what any of the fighting might have been like. Last season they talked about how Dallas managed to kill a couple of the hosts and got nuked for it. There's an episode I'd be glued to.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Though this would have made for a great two parter, I did enjoy it. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more of these to show what any of the fighting might have been like. Last season they talked about how Dallas managed to kill a couple of the hosts and got nuked for it. There's an episode I'd be glued to.

I think a big selling point of the show is how it does world building without having to explain or even show the events.

You pretty much know from the characters the resisting the Hosts is pretty hopeless.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

etalian posted:

I think a big selling point of the show is how it does world building without having to explain or even show the events.

You pretty much know from the characters the resisting the Hosts is pretty hopeless.

I don't disagree, there was very little in the way of action last season and I still greatly enjoyed the show but the occasional action episode I wouldn't consider a bad thing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

counterfeitsaint posted:

Felt like it was over way too quickly, but still a fun episode.

The aliens are definitely interested in the human population for some reason. Last season evil governor lady said that an uprising in Seattle was quelled with minimal loss to population, which pleased the hosts.

To Serve Man, obviously.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cuse knocked it out of the park with Bates Motel, I didn't even know he was attached to this. I'll check out season 1.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Snyder especially is interesting, as he really is a mid level schmuck that got chosen and is doing the best he can.

Gf and i were marathoning S1 and i noticed in the Yonk episode Snyder lies about being provost of Stanford and other stuff.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Glad the show is back.

Really enjoyed the season premiere. I think they pull off the flashback episode pretty good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

For cheapskates who want to check out the show, whole first season is up on netflix:
https://www.netflix.com/browse?jbv=80077417&jbp=2&jbr=2

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
This show has the best walls. And they made the humans pay for it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Maaaan, I hope somebody gets exploded by a laser this season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hopefully they start bringing in some of these disparate plot threads. They're kind of all over the place right now.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Does anyone else think it looks like the aliens or whatever are trying to figure out how to most efficiently farm humans? Like each bloc could be it's own microcosm with a different style of "government" to figure out what creates the most factory workers while still keeping the people living and reproducing and not revolting. Once they figure it out they take away the walls and institute a One World Government with whatever worked best and keep earth pumping out labor/food/entertainment/whatever humans are to them for eternity. It could be a reason why communication or anything between blocs seems like an enormous no-no. Or they could be earth people from the future (or maybe aliens still) whose society hasn't wiped out war or whatever and they're running an experiment to try to figure out what the best way to create a peaceful (or if they're future authoritarians, obedient) society is. Like they're going back and fixing earth so it doesn't become whatever shithole they live in.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
Well the 2nd episode made it clear that humanity received aliens signals quite some time in the past so that should rule out any "future humans/aliens" time traveling stuff because it wouldn't rly make sense. I think it's safe to assume that the alien signal is part of the preparation to take over earth (maybe that's how the human collaboration got started).

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
When you have super drones and the ability to plop giant gently caress off walls down all over the place so easily, human slave labor seems like a huge step down in work force efficiency.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
Maybe we just taste really good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I enjoy seeing Josh Holloway murdering every one fun time happy hour.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GreenNight posted:

hobo with a shotgun

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

During S02E02 I was feeling that it's a shame we have to see the invasion from the POV of this family of irrational, impulsive hotheads. Although I did laugh after Bowman bludgeoned Solomon to death, then turned to some kids saying, "Come with me, I'll save you" and they all ran from the blood-spattered maniac.

Will Bowman posted:

“If I get to see my boy, I’d be grateful to you for the rest of my life.”
Should have said, "...for the rest of your life".

I wonder if we'll ever learn the nature (or technology) of the Bene Gesserit box or whatever it was that gave Maddy her ethereal vision. That was different. Aliens using DMT-inspired religious visions as a means of behaviour control?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This seems like kind of a step down role for Jessica Parker Kennedy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JESUS gently caress

I was not expecting the ex-partner to just get kind of.. popped like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Devon :stonk:

• Locked thread