Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk01eeKMD_I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Does anybody remember the scifi show where Holly Berry is an astronaut and there is a robot baby and then Holly Berry is an alien? Maybe there was also a plague or something? It was very all over the place.

I'm watching Cloud Atlas right now and that made me think of it.

I think it was on USA like Colony. Either way I figure this would be the thread to ask about it.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

Does anybody remember the scifi show where Holly Berry is an astronaut and there is a robot baby and then Holly Berry is an alien? Maybe there was also a plague or something? It was very all over the place.

I'm watching Cloud Atlas right now and that made me think of it.

I think it was on USA like Colony. Either way I figure this would be the thread to ask about it.

You talking about Extant?

edit: also I assume you're talking about Halle Berry

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yes and Yes. Thank you.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah it was Extant. Show had problems from the start, never quite found its footing

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I was wondering what happened to it because I remember the season ended on a bit of a cliffhanger with a crazy alien revolution, but I also stopped caring about it.

"Cancelled" is the answer, which makes sense. It was pretty terrible.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think I made it through 1.5 episodes of that show, I bowed out even before the aliens showed up, which from the posts above it sounds like they did

I'll have to wiki it to see how it ended, maybe

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

She'll breach and clear with you like a stone-cold operator; the moment you knew you married the right woman.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Well that's one way to resolve the babysitter subplot :stare:

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HorseRenoir posted:

Well that's one way to resolve the babysitter subplot :stare:

I feel like the writers kinda squandered her.

There was some real potential, with the whole working for resistance, while being a collaborator, while some alien missionary proselytizes your youngest daughter, the house is bugged so you cant coach her on how she is being fed lies but needs to just go along with it, while at the same time her brother just comes back from basically surviving in a favela so he is jaded and cynical as gently caress.

They coulda have the young daughter take her lesson to heart, throw that stuff in mommy and daddys face, notice they seems funny when she talks about it. maybe have her and her brother argue about the stupid teacher. maybe have the brother say "I wish she was dead" and then have the sudden take out.

Instead in the same episode she gets iced they set up the part where she tells the brother "I have the power to take you away from your family" *evil bitch stare* which just seemed a lazy way to justify her death.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Yeah, would've rather done without that threat and let it be just another unpredictable murder by the occupation or resistance.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The shaky cam the entire episode was driving me nuts, but that one take home invasion scene at the end more than made up for it, that was amazing. Redoing the daredevil hallway scene but also with child actors is pretty amazing. There might have been on hidden cut towards the end, but that's all I saw.

It would make sense that lovely babysitter was feeling a bit more bold after the parents had to go and find her and ask her to come back. I really thought Charlie was setting her up though, making her say nasty things in front of his sister to break the hold she has over her, and was planning on taking her out himself.

So I'm guessing the aliens are trying to relocate select members of the human race off planet? They've been shown transporting people, and now talk about what a planet needs to sustain humans.

Any word about a season 3 yet? Ratings are down but apparently not terribly so for a USA show. Apparently there was a show called The Colony from 2013 that was cancelled after a second season, that really confused my quick google search for s3 info.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I must have missed it, why did they have to ask her to come back? I mean who told them to ask her back?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Her sister(?) told them that they'd better get with the New Day. That poo poo matters.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's like being offered a special Third Reich tutor and then telling them to get hosed. The Party might look poorly on such actions.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Shbobdb posted:

Her sister(?) told them that they'd better get with the New Day. That poo poo matters.

"AWWWWWWWW LOS ANGELES COLONY BLOC! DON'T YOU DARE BE SOUR! CLAP YOUR HANDS FOR THE PROXY GOVERNOR AND THE HOSTS, AND FEEEEEEEEL THE POWAHHHHHHH!"

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Gonz posted:

"AWWWWWWWW LOS ANGELES COLONY BLOC! DON'T YOU DARE BE SOUR! CLAP YOUR HANDS FOR THE PROXY GOVERNOR AND THE HOSTS, AND FEEEEEEEEL THE POWAHHHHHHH!"

I appreciate the good work you are doing sir

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RIP dog, the writers forgot about you and you didn't make it to the new apartment

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

BlackJosh posted:

I appreciate the good work you are doing sir

It's a New Day, YES IT IS!

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Gonz posted:

Thank you so much. When I read that I decided if no one made a New Day reference yet, I'd do it myself.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just caught the last episode, I really thought they were heading towards Charlie murdering the tutor and being confused why it was wrong, but I guess they're done highlighting how much his year on the wrong side of the wall affected him.

I still really like this show, though.

Are the aliens using weaponized gravity to smash things?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Professor Shark posted:

but I guess they're done highlighting how much his year on the wrong side of the wall affected him.

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that Bram and Charlie are going to help each other heal since they were both abused, used, and forced to do terrible things just to survive.

I also think we're headed toward a coup with the Red Hand since the mother is using to cause to settle a vendetta now rather than further opposition to the occupation.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 9, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Are the aliens using weaponized gravity to smash things?

I think so.

You got a better view of their attack from the episode with Brussard's flashback during the Invasion. All of the marines and military have clustered together in that one building to arm themselves and prepare a counter attack but he walks out because everyone is in one place, then you see the clouds part and the building flatten but nothing was actually visible.

bull3964 posted:

I also think we're headed toward a coup with the Red Hand since the mother is using to cause to settle a vendetta now rather than further opposition to the occupation.

It does make Will's cover look way better, since the gigantic idiots at the agency can justify incredibly suspicious behavior with little to no reason, now he's got resistance members trying to kill his family so he is pretty much golden now.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 9, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"Alright Bram, I'm going to need you to look like you bit into a lemon and poo poo sandwich. You don't like anything that's going on. At all. Anywhere. Ever.

What? How long do you hold that face? That is your face now. ACTION"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have no idea how they're going to plot their way out of Will being burned, but I'm still leaning towards Burke being a very deep insider. Unless things really explode and we move away from the city and into other parts of the US.

My theory, unoriginal as it is, is that the Hosts are future humans who have retreated into the past to create colonies in the "wasteland" portions of the US.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hope eventually humanity actually does something.

It's kind of depressing when badguys are so ridiculously overpowered there was zero fight and apparently no way to stop what is happening.

I'm sure there are going to be developments but the majority of the series so far has been the resistance being laughable and constantly getting massacred while the aliens sit in orbit doing mysterious things no one understands much less can stop. In the face of the entire human race going extinct because we can't even deal with the alien's automated fence technology we've managed like 1 1/2 (Gauntlet/Automated Drone) won battles versus billions of dead. Most everything else accomplished has just been humans killing other humans.

I'm excited of the new character promising developments but expect them to get shot in the face 20 seconds into the next episode while Will's family argues about living in a tunnel and his sister and her husband fight over getting in trouble, before the resistance blows up a bus full of nuns or something.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Remember there's unconfirmed reported of 3 hosts dead in Texas, so it's actually 4 vs billions of humans dead. :v:

I really like it when shows fundamentally change what they're about partway through. I hope season 3 is a totally different kind of show, with everyone living outside the walls in a surprisingly large and well organized resistance and it turns into Falling Skies: The not utterly poo poo version.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I like that things are so lopsided as that's exactly what would happen if beings from another world were capable of making it to ours. We would have no real chance. There would be no real fight. We would be defeated before we saw a single alien.

The level of collaboration is also very realistic. People bow to absolute power pretty quickly when you have a boot to your neck.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

Remember there's unconfirmed reported of 3 hosts dead in Texas, so it's actually 4 vs billions of humans dead. :v:

I really like it when shows fundamentally change what they're about partway through. I hope season 3 is a totally different kind of show, with everyone living outside the walls in a surprisingly large and well organized resistance and it turns into Falling Skies: The not utterly poo poo version.

"As Thomas Jefferson rode across the Delaware on his steam ship that Frederick Douglas built to fight the Shiites, he looked up at the sky. He looked up so long his troops had to ask what the gently caress his problem was. That man, was Albert Einstein"

"Will you are good at finding things but failed history, just shut up and stop trying to have some kind of nostalgia for things that are still happening, mugging for a history book that hasn't been written."

Falling Skies was kind of the reverse, the humans kept getting less and less effective as time went on, and every time they got stronger that advantage was immediately ignored or wiped out. Colony at least has been consistent with humanity getting poo poo on completely and totally from the start.

bull3964 posted:

I like that things are so lopsided as that's exactly what would happen if beings from another world were capable of making it to ours. We would have no real chance. There would be no real fight. We would be defeated before we saw a single alien.

The level of collaboration is also very realistic. People bow to absolute power pretty quickly when you have a boot to your neck.

I mean, yeah, I get where you are coming from but I would find the strict documentation of the ease and totality of humanity's eradication over the period of years to be a little too depressing and want Will Smith to punch an alien in the face every now and then to keep hope alive.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 10, 2017

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

bull3964 posted:

On the one hand, this is totally correct. If for some reason aliens were here and they didn't opt for a total extermination we'd be utterly hosed.

Space Crabs posted:

I mean, yeah, I get where you are coming from but I would find the strict documentation of the ease and totality of humanity's eradication over the period of years to be a little too depressing and want Will Smith to punch an alien in the face every now and then to keep hope alive.

On the other hand yeah, we need to see an alien get punched in the god damned face.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Premise for next week sounds interesting.

An attack on the Green Zone, told from five different points of view.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

I have no idea how they're going to plot their way out of Will being burned, but I'm still leaning towards Burke being a very deep insider. Unless things really explode and we move away from the city and into other parts of the US.

My theory, unoriginal as it is, is that the Hosts are future humans who have retreated into the past to create colonies in the "wasteland" portions of the US.

My guess is that Season 3 will be mostly taking place outside the walls with whatever resistance exists in the wasteland. There's pretty much no way for the Bowmans to continue living in LA now that their cover is blown.

I'm fine with the show taking a Half Life 2 "humanity is hosed" approach to alien invasion, but I'm also glad that they're starting to take baby steps towards humanity scoring victories against the occupiers. I'm really hoping that the show moves outside the LA colony for season 3 because the protagonists are never going to accomplish much if they're stuck in a place as brutally controlled by the occupation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Will just instantly murking Burke was pretty great.

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
Yes, the Fanta gut-shank was definitely the highlight of the episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Followed closely by "Get me Alan Snyder."

Snyder is a loving weasel but by God I love him for some crazy reason!

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Behold.

Our unbelievably robust and all inclusive surveillance system, capturing everything in the block, every camera, every cellphone.

Completely catalogued, recorded and monitored by hundreds of people.

Oh, except in the house of the guy that guards the entrances and exits to the wall. No need to know about anything going on in there. Nope.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, that wasn't super great, I hope the transition to Fallout: Boneyard outside the wall happens soon. I guess someone decided the giant red banners everywhere last season were too subtle, so here's the SS complete with black leather jackets. Also let's cause some family drama because our characters can't take 30 seconds to explain things to each other.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I sympathize more with the extermination aliens than I do with Bram because of that look on his face nonstop.

"Alright Bram. Pretend you have severe back pain."

"Good. Good. Now imagine your dick has a swarm of crabs hanging off of it, but get this. You are in the desert. So you are kinda in excruciating pain and bewildered and confused at the same time."

Yes! YES! Now look like you are watching someone kick your puppy to death!!

PERFECT!!

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 17, 2017

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

They should've cast Flynn from Breaking Bad instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Well I haven't felt the need to screen cap things from a show in a long time, but I did watching the latest episode:

Hynek score? Like a Hynek Scale?

• Locked thread