Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

A Bad Poster posted:

I love it when you get a new commander who says during their change of command "I saw your training cycle and I think it's too much, I'm going to help you" and then it actually gets worse. I guess I'm going to be spending 7 of my last 12 months in the army in the field!

God that reminds me of sea duty.

"Take classes during this yard period, use the free time well." Two weeks of half day fridays and clocking out at 14 and six section duty. I sign up for grad school classes.

Three weeks later: "So uh, we gotta reduce duty sections to 3, working parties until 23, oh and come in at 4 for drills and Sunday and Saturday working parties because the commodore thinks the boat looks dirty (jeez I wonder why maybe because we're blasting rust off the the well deck around the clock) . Just until we pass INSURV and LOA."

Three months later: "Oh we failed everything. We just gotta work 90 hour weeks for only 6 more months! Good luck guys, I'm off to shore duty!" Worst CO.

I tried to volunteer to IA to Afghanistan or Iraq to leave that command.

On the plus side of being so miserable there, I learned that while operational commands will tell you that they'll burn you if you get help, there are parts of the military can actually help and it won't really impact your career all that much. No impact to security clearance and I've even gotten a waiver approved for a very sensitive job after that. So if you need it, just get the help.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Nuclear War posted:

So I was just over to visit one of the guys I served with, he got fired from the local ambulance service a while back for 'some bullshit'. I dunno what, and I only found out cause I was texting him to put in a good word for me when I apply.

I was only there for a second, but I swear his fiancè had two massive black eyes, but she almost RAN away when she saw me at the door and I got never got past the treshold. I know he's had anger and authority issues since Afghanistan. Thats why the reserves didn't want him and now I'm really worried he's taking his frustrations out on his fiance. I've messaged him a couple times asking if he wants to just hang out and talk somewhere outside, or needs help to contact our country's VA equivalent but he insists he's fine. None of our friends know much about his fiancè. She's foreign, an orphan and doesn't really have anyone, either in-country or at all really so if no one hears from her no one thinks its a big deal.
It could have been nothing. I mean he's such a good guy. But thats what everyone says until its too late right? How do you approach someone and try to find out if they beat their girl?

Good on you for looking into this though, so many people are incapable of ever thinking that someone they know or trusted could ever be abusive or have been hiding a darker side.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Just found out one of my best army buddies passed a couple weeks back, absolutely stunned. Used to chat all the time and now he's just gone, no warning. Thought he maybe had some dumb training since he was still in and wasn't responding to my stupid words and then his wife got a hold of me and it's still just a huge what the gently caress. I don't know what else to say, thanks.

Sorry to hear

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nv

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 31, 2024