Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
I realize this thread is about 8 months tardy. But there are a few stupid things about how the Feds act in the show.

The feds plant a fake cotton stuffed body in the water and say that is the missing kid. In reality they would have just killed a real kid that looked like the boy and put his body in the water.

Also the cop breaks into the Department of Energy and sees everything like the portal and evidence that they were holding kids there. Yet all they do is just knock him out and put him back in his house with a bug. He'd be dead too irl. They already suicided the loving burger diner guy. Of course they would kill the cop and some random kid to cover their story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

AARO posted:

I realize this thread is about 8 months tardy. But there are a few stupid things about how the Feds act in the show.

The feds plant a fake cotton stuffed body in the water and say that is the missing kid. In reality they would have just killed a real kid that looked like the boy and put his body in the water.

Also the cop breaks into the Department of Energy and sees everything like the portal and evidence that they were holding kids there. Yet all they do is just knock him out and put him back in his house with a bug. He'd be dead too irl. They already suicided the loving burger diner guy. Of course they would kill the cop and some random kid to cover their story.

real eyes
realize
real lies

makes you think

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

AARO posted:

I realize this thread is about 8 months tardy.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
I'm still amazed that I watched the whole drat thing without realizing that the evil scientist guy was Joker from Full Metal Jacket. Like, what the hell?

Also, happy birthday Natalia Dyer (Nancy/that maybe anorexic chick).

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Vastarien posted:

I'm still amazed that I watched the whole drat thing without realizing that the evil scientist guy was Joker from Full Metal Jacket. Like, what the hell?

Matthew Modine has been a busy bugger for decades

banme
Apr 23, 2008
a stupid thing about this website is OP

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

I would have loved to talk about this show a year ago but at this point i remember almost nothing about it because i've watched about a billion other things a day that have wedged it out

i'm sorry OP

banme
Apr 23, 2008

Digital Fingers posted:

I would have loved to talk about this show a year ago but at this point i remember almost nothing about it because i've watched about a billion other things a day that have wedged it out

i'm sorry OP

youre anime avatar has nothing to do with this conversation

besides the fact it listed right next to your post

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

They have no reason to kill the Sheriff. All he saw was a weird growth on the wall that doesn't explain anything or condemn anyone.

Benny met and possibly communicated with their child slave science experiment that people would flip their poo poo if they found out.

banme
Apr 23, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

They have no reason to kill the Sheriff. All he saw was a weird growth on the wall that doesn't explain anything or condemn anyone.

Benny met and possibly communicated with their child slave science experiment that people would flip their poo poo if they found out.

bit too much lore, sorry

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Away all Goats posted:

He also saw little kid drawings on the wall and stuffed animals. He knew they were holding kids there. And also seeing a portal to another loving dimension is enough to get killed over for sure.

That entire unit would have or should have had marines protecting it btw.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

The worst thing about Stranger Things was the way everyone used that lovely logo generator and flooded the internet with their crappy band name or whatever in the style of the title card.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

the cop guy was working for the feds op, that's why they didn't kill him

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Vastarien posted:

I had just assumed she was 16, not 20

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
A better show would have had the foxy cop dude get naked and practice his high kicks, but Hollyweird gotta do it's own thing I guess

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
they should call the second season Have Happened

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Vastarien posted:

to be fair he looks pretty different old and with no glasses

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

yeah and in lord of the rings why dont gandalf just whistle up he eagles and take the ring to mount doom direct? dumb

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

i like how the sheriff punches or pistol whips everything and even when he is interacting with people he likes he is fist jabbing them in the chest too hard and poo poo

reminds me of my dad

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

my dad just got out of prison btw

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

AARO posted:

He also saw little kid drawings on the wall and stuffed animals. He knew they were holding kids there. And also seeing a portal to another loving dimension is enough to get killed over for sure.

That entire unit would have or should have had marines protecting it btw.

It's probably a lot harder to kill a sheriff than it is to stage a theft-turned-shooting at a diner, plus the guy had lost his own kid and was known to have a serious drinking problem, so if he started talking crazy nobody would believe him.

Stranger Things was a really fun little show but honestly they kinda stretched a short plot into twice as many episodes as necessary. By going out of their way to emulate 80s movies they forgot to have a plot that took more than 90 minutes to resolve.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Vastarien posted:

She's a real QT

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Why did they call it the Upside Down when everything was the right way up there?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Why did they call it the Upside Down when everything was the right way up there?

Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped-turned upside down

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

food court bailiff posted:

Stranger Things was a really fun little show but honestly they kinda stretched a short plot into twice as many episodes as necessary. By going out of their way to emulate 80s movies they forgot to have a plot that took more than 90 minutes to resolve.

They're making a second season.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i liked the intro music quite a bit

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want to see Winona Ryder's boobs, that can't be too much to ask.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
The only strange thing about the show is how much h popcorn I munched while watching it haha

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

A misanthrope posted:

Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped-turned upside down

equivalency

taht's why trump

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

A misanthrope posted:

i like how the sheriff punches or pistol whips everything and even when he is interacting with people he likes he is fist jabbing them in the chest too hard and poo poo

reminds me of my dad

I really enjoyed how fuckin' done he was with everything that was going on. Like he was always just a mote too hungover to deal with anything

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I really enjoyed how fuckin' done he was with everything that was going on. Like he was always just a mote too hungover to deal with anything

he's a good actor. haven't seen him in anything else, tho, even tho he's a character actor who has been around for a bit

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

A misanthrope posted:

he's a good actor. haven't seen him in anything else, tho, even tho he's a character actor who has been around for a bit

he's been in a lot of things it looks like, i'm vaguely recalling him playing a smiley gent more often than not

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Hardawn posted:

he's been in a lot of things it looks like, i'm vaguely recalling him playing a smiley gent more often than not

i heard he was in suicide squad but lol i aint warching that

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I can't articulate why I didn't like Stranger Things except maybe: it felt like they introduced a lot of cool ideas that looked good but weren't important (Christmas lights, sensory deprivation tank, eleven floating that kid off the cliff) so the show bounces between set pieces with only a thin plot to tie them together

Also it was coasting hard on its own nostalgia.

That's my takeaway from a show I watched once last year and didn't feel strongly about

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

Toadvine posted:

I can't articulate why I didn't like Stranger Things except maybe: it felt like they introduced a lot of cool ideas that looked good but weren't important (Christmas lights, sensory deprivation tank, eleven floating that kid off the cliff) so the show bounces between set pieces with only a thin plot to tie them together

Also it was coasting hard on its own nostalgia.

That's my takeaway from a show I watched once last year and didn't feel strongly about

yeah i have a lot of similar feels about it, If I thought something carried something more to it I would've rewatched it with my wife. It would've been a lot of explaining of things that really i don't know enough to accurately do it justice or merit effor

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
It was an entertaining and light TV series just turn your brian off op

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Perhaps they had moral qualms about killing innocent people op

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Demogorgon is the name of a demon prince, there is no "the", goddamnit.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
'sup autism buddy.

thought it was lame they used new Christmas lights, the prop department hosed up as they changed the wire gauge in the late 90's the ones in the show visibly have the thicker wire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Doghouse posted:

Perhaps they had moral qualms about killing innocent people op

lol

• Locked thread